Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

For me it was the Butlerian Jihad kicking off because the robot king dropped a baby from a balcony which then went SPLAT.

While funny, the version in the Dune Encyclopedia was so much cooler. The techno-civilization implemented automated abortions/population control procedures on a backwards, social conservative planet they were using as their agrarian breadbasket.

IMO the series is more interesting when read as Frank Herbert raging out for two decades on why Isaac Asimov was wrong in thinking that omnipotent scientists ruling the universe would be a grand idea.

Funny enough, thats the whole point oh God Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

Agag posted:

I wanted to be a Fremen, except their caves smell like balls and it isn't expressly stated but heavily implied that the stillsuit has an rear end-tube that you stick up your rear end to collect the water out of your turds.

I always figured that if you were wearing one of those sting suits, your turds went into a sort of pocket on each rear end cheek where they were slowly squeezed to release their moisture. I have no idea what happens to the turds once they're dry, or why you'd want horrible turd water though.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Met a guy at a festival recently who said Butlerian Jihad was his favourite Dune book. He had generally positive things to say about all the prequels. I haven't read any of them so I can't judge but that was def a first for me, I've never seen anyone saying nice things about them even on the internet.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

Virginia Madsen - a top shelf dish in the 80's.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Omi-Polari posted:

For me it was the Butlerian Jihad kicking off because the robot king dropped a baby from a balcony which then went SPLAT.

While funny, the version in the Dune Encyclopedia was so much cooler. The techno-civilization implemented automated abortions/population control procedures on a backwards, social conservative planet they were using as their agrarian breadbasket.

IMO the series is more interesting when read as Frank Herbert raging out for two decades on why Isaac Asimov was wrong in thinking that omnipotent scientists ruling the universe would be a grand idea.

I had heard he had objections to Asimov, but I think that he actually said that it was a tenet of certain revivalist sects of Christianity he was objecting to. They thought true communion with God would grant omniscience. He felt - and I certainly agree - that to see the future with all its certainty would result in incurable boredom.

The Dune Encyclopedia is loving rad. I don't know how much of it he wrote, but it was so fun seeing all the little points of interest magnified and given a space in a fictional "history". There's a loving hilarious part where a prudish Bene Gesserit laundress takes a trip to the "Pleasure Planet" and loses her faith in the Order after seeing how they train the Sisters to be concubines.

And I agree, getting hung up on Dune like a belief system is ridiculous and only makes its flaws more obvious. But that's the difference between philosophy and organized religion, between Confucius and Jesus.

But I'm still never reading anything posthumous. Anything past Chapterhouse can gently caress off.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FuckenPunchOn posted:

I always figured that if you were wearing one of those sting suits, your turds went into a sort of pocket on each rear end cheek where they were slowly squeezed to release their moisture. I have no idea what happens to the turds once they're dry, or why you'd want horrible turd water though.

If you're in the high desert, I doubt you're eating solid food that much anyway so one problem solves the other.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUvn1kU31cs&t=234s

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

"people getting their nipples ripped off"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Jimlit posted:

Dad ghola. So what

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

phasmid posted:

I had heard he had objections to Asimov, but I think that he actually said that it was a tenet of certain revivalist sects of Christianity he was objecting to.
Got it. I was going off one of his essays where he said, basically on how to write sci-fi: Take a concept you're using to seeing in fiction, then flip its assumptions upside down.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

FuckenPunchOn posted:

I don't know if the turds go into a pouch or what, but when Paul is going to knife-fight that dude in Sietch Tabr it talks about them "detaching" from their suits. Either way, your turd-water belongs to the tribe.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Wicker Man posted:

Lotta tanned skinned amazon models with ultra low body fat and Smelly unwashed butts.

Carne asada.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Omi-Polari posted:

Got it. I was going off one of his essays where he said, basically on how to write sci-fi: Take a concept you're using to seeing in fiction, then flip its assumptions upside down.

He was pretty funny for such a cynical bastard.

Agag posted:

Carne asada.

lol dont be loving gross

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Agag posted:

Carne asada.

Powerful gross right here.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

lol if you pictured Gurney any other way.

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

Agag posted:

Either way, your turd-water belongs to the tribe.

Piss off. That's my fuckin turd water

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the cliffhanger pissed me off

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

FuckenPunchOn posted:

Piss off. That's my fuckin turd water

Stilgar spills your piss with a thrust of his crysknife. Your water shall mingle with ours as your empty bladder roasts on the erg.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
have some sick fanart

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Agag posted:

I wanted to be a Fremen, except their caves smell like balls and it isn't expressly stated but heavily implied that the stillsuit has an rear end-tube that you stick up your rear end to collect the water out of your turds.
I always liked to think that you ended up with like a children's flipbook of wafer thin glassy hard compressed dried shits the size of a stick of gum. NOthing in the book supports this but it's a nice thought.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

phasmid posted:

Stilgar spills your piss with a thrust of his crysknife. Your water shall mingle with ours as your empty bladder roasts on the erg.
You'd better not be the guy who always has bloody piss around these parts or you're gonna be mending your pisspouches every time one of the guys accidentally unsheathes a crysknife.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Thanks. I saw some of this floating around tumblr, but didn't know the artist.

a hole-y ghost posted:

You'd better not be the guy who always has bloody piss around these parts or you're gonna be mending your pisspouches every time one of the guys accidentally unsheathes a crysknife.

gently caress!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
*body eaten by worm*

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Omi-Polari posted:

Goddammit I've had enough! This is my meltdown. I'm melting down in this thread right now.

I've been waiting for this for over 4 years

edit: read the first book. Watch the lynch movie. Play the westwood games. And then stop, and file it away in your mind like beanie babies or something, a phenomenon tied to a time and place that should never be revisited.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I loved Dune, and each subsequent book got worse. But nothing, but nothing, compares to the idiocy of of the prequels. They are the most execrable awfulness I have ever subjected myself to, and that was only because I had too much downtime at work and the airport had a horrible bookstore.

Nothing says "Dune" like a robot named Erazmus stirring a huge iron pot of human body parts in human blood to make paintings, while also murdering herds of defenseless humans with machine guns just to supposedly learn more about humans, while gigantic gleaming titanium indestructible interchangeable space-faring robot centipede bodies are run by human heads in loving jars.

Yeah, that's some great Dune poo poo right there.

Avoid the prequels.

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

phasmid posted:

Fair nuff.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Was the God Emperors plan to give humanity the best chance of survival really sending Idaho Ghola #1908237 and Magic Worm Daughter to a random spot in undiscovered space?
Presumably its not actually random due to prescient meddling after seeing every possibly outcome.
Why is a Grandpa Facedancer(?) looking through the veils of space to smile at Idaho? How is this remotely interesting and what is it supposed to tell me about anything? The Facedancers eventually take over from the Honored Matres? The Facedancers also hosed off into a random spot in undiscovered space? Was there a Facedancer god emperor in new-space? Why not? there is apparently an unlimited supply of several different spice substitutes all of the sudden?
Why are there cat men now.
He wasn't actually planning another novel in old-space about cat men being seduced by ripped old ladies in orange leotards was he.

This posting was more fun than Chapter House: Dune

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I completely forgot that the laser can also explode when you shoot a shield.

Yeah, the point is that the "lasers hitting shields causes a nuclear explosion" is really the worst-case scenario, 1 out of 100, type event but it's the thing that everyone focuses on. It's just that, tactically, laser vs. shields is 100% bad, regardless if it blows up a city or just your lasgun.

phasmid posted:

I had heard he had objections to Asimov, but I think that he actually said that it was a tenet of certain revivalist sects of Christianity he was objecting to. They thought true communion with God would grant omniscience. He felt - and I certainly agree - that to see the future with all its certainty would result in incurable boredom.

The Dune Encyclopedia is loving rad. I don't know how much of it he wrote, but it was so fun seeing all the little points of interest magnified and given a space in a fictional "history". There's a loving hilarious part where a prudish Bene Gesserit laundress takes a trip to the "Pleasure Planet" and loses her faith in the Order after seeing how they train the Sisters to be concubines.

The one bit I remember from the Dune Encyclopedia was the bit about Atomics, where they describe their first use as being by House Washington in an intraprovincial conflict.

Also, Dr. Holtzmann was like some sort of Mister Fantastic/Dr. Quest supergenius cyborg that eventually goes on an adventure and disappears into the great void.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

A White Guy posted:

lol if you pictured Gurney any other way.
patstew or bust

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Everyone is garbage in dune, the guild just want to control everything with their spice trade, the bene gesserit just want to breed the ultimate human and paul thinks he's hot poo poo cause he can see into the future but gets billions of people killed, good job.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Ahundredbux posted:

Everyone is garbage in dune, the guild just want to control everything with their spice trade, the bene gesserit just want to breed the ultimate human and paul thinks he's hot poo poo cause he can see into the future but gets billions of people killed, good job.

Seeing into the future aint nearly as obviously-useful as you'd hope it's cracked up to be, especially once you're "zoomed-out" far enough to see the optimal timeline(s) for mankind's ascension on a grand universal scale.

A Good Job:
Doing the Most Good for the Least Harm.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Space doctors are snooty assholes that can't be bothered to give you any attention unless you pay exorbitant amounts for their services. Kind of like a criticism of western doctors!

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

sinking belle posted:

Met a guy at a festival recently who said Butlerian Jihad was his favourite Dune book. He had generally positive things to say about all the prequels. I haven't read any of them so I can't judge but that was def a first for me, I've never seen anyone saying nice things about them even on the internet.

They are great books. Very interesting all on their own.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Kevin J Anderson is a hack and a garbage person. I tried to read the stupid conclusion to the original series but it was so horribly written I stopped about half the way through. If you enjoy his writing chances are you've never read anything outside genre fiction and should be ashamed of yourself.

This stupid wiki thing is actually pretty accurate.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kevin_J._Anderson

I hear God Emperor is pretty good though.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Dr. Faustus posted:

I loved Dune, and each subsequent book got worse. But nothing, but nothing, compares to the idiocy of of the prequels. They are the most execrable awfulness I have ever subjected myself to, and that was only because I had too much downtime at work and the airport had a horrible bookstore.

Nothing says "Dune" like a robot named Erazmus stirring a huge iron pot of human body parts in human blood to make paintings, while also murdering herds of defenseless humans with machine guns just to supposedly learn more about humans, while gigantic gleaming titanium indestructible interchangeable space-faring robot centipede bodies are run by human heads in loving jars.

Yeah, that's some great Dune poo poo right there.

Avoid the prequels.

You forgot the long drawn out "brains in jars" sex scenes

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Seeing into the future aint nearly as obviously-useful as you'd hope it's cracked up to be, especially once you're "zoomed-out" far enough to see the optimal timeline(s) for mankind's ascension on a grand universal scale.

A Good Job:
Doing the Most Good for the Least Harm.

I'm pretty sure he does a lot of choices out of purely selfish reasons which is why it's cool instead of him being the super cool savior of humanity

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

pls don't doxx my massive, chitinous penis.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I was listening to these as audiobooks and ended up somehow listening to God Emperor on random, so the book went Duncan Idaho ghoula gets himself killed->Siona does some stuff->fat slug falls in a river and dies, The End before I realized what was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread