Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think McConaughey has actually been "confirmed", but the DT series has been started and died more times than I can remember

I think Idris Elba is a good actor and would do a great job, plus it would make idiots mad so that's good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
that's cool, I thought it got canned years ago

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I read somewhere that Oy will be cgi and voiced by Bill Murray

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is good news. Hopefully they'll cast J-Law as Susannah.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 9, 2016

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I don't think Steven King has ever wrote anything better than the first Dark Tower book. Shoulda kept on the cocaine and triple packs of smokes a day and died a literary legend instead of drifting into comfortable ehhhhh

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah King could have gone out as a Literary Rockstar but he chose life and now we suffer through bland Mr Mercedes crap that young, drug addict Stephen King would be embarrassed by

Lowblockify
Mar 12, 2015
i dont care

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I think McConaughey has actually been "confirmed", but the DT series has been started and died more times than I can remember

I think Idris Elba is a good actor and would do a great job, plus it would make idiots mad so that's good too

fun fact: in the books king describes roland as looking kinda like him

if idris gets cast I want king to wear blackface for the rest of his life to make it real

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Elba's great... but McConaughey? Too loving old. Its a worse match up than Keanu as Spike for live action Cowboy Bebop (which he backed out of because he's too old for it despite being otherwise ideal).

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

fun fact: in the books king describes roland as looking kinda like him

if idris gets cast I want king to wear blackface for the rest of his life to make it real

"The Black man fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.”

has a different connotation imo

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

origami posted:

"The Black man fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.”

has a different connotation imo

nah they're apparently casting the black man as the gunslinger.

"The White man fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed."

Quentin Tarantino to direct

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I like Idris Elba but whats gonna happen to the scene where the racist black caricature lady starts yelling about eddie sucking on roland's white candlestick??

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i never read any of that but i dont think either of them are right for the roles.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm sure the expensive Hollywood writers can figure something out

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Obviously you probly lol while getting mad paid but it's gotta be a little weird when they float you a role and you're a black actor and you know that some part of it wasn't motivated by oh what a great actor this guy is but instead a room full of sweaty jewish marketing men getting hot and bothered by subverting expectation to generate social conflict dollars

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

DiHK posted:

Elba's great... but McConaughey? Too loving old. Its a worse match up than Keanu as Spike for live action Cowboy Bebop (which he backed out of because he's too old for it despite being otherwise ideal).

E: Oh right, Walter is the man in black, Eddie's the dip. I got confused because King is so imaginative with his character names.

EE: wrong button.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i hope the final scene is pig-faced stephen king, in his normal clothes amd stuffing his face with machos, laughing directly at the audience, through the camera

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I hope this thing gets canned. I just can't see it working out. I would love to see a successful adaptation of the series, but I'm not holding my breath. I think they should test the waters with The Wind Through the Keyhole first, and then the flashback book (four) and see if they'll get the interest for a massive push on the series.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Shaquin posted:

I don't think Steven King has ever wrote anything better than the first Dark Tower book. Shoulda kept on the cocaine and triple packs of smokes a day and died a literary legend instead of drifting into comfortable ehhhhh

i thought he was a drunk

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

why are they just remaking the Dark Tower? are they redoing Fellowship and ReturnOf The King movies or just the 2nd one? seems weird to me

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Doctor Dogballs posted:

why are they just remaking the Dark Tower? are they redoing Fellowship and ReturnOf The King movies or just the 2nd one? seems weird to me
We're not talking about Star wars idiot.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

katlington posted:

i thought he was a drunk

nah, he did a gooood bit of research. Read Misery.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Professor Shark posted:

the DT series has been started and died more times than I can remember

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
And Benedict Cumberpatch as the Crimson King.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

phasmid posted:

And Benedict Cumberpatch as the Crimson King.

I'm so sick of this fuckers weird head jesus christ britain if you are gonna shove an actor out of your fog beswaddled womb every decade or so for mass consumption could you at least make sure their cranium is loving human shaped tia

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Thing that gets me about the Dark Tower books is how did Roland get so good at shooting things if bullets were so difficult to make in his universe? Did he practice all day with CS:GO or what?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Somebody summarize dark tower for me so I can have an informed opinion when this subject comes up again.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Berious posted:

Thing that gets me about the Dark Tower books is how did Roland get so good at shooting things if bullets were so difficult to make in his universe? Did he practice all day with CS:GO or what?

he got good when bullets werent as rare

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

oh and im excited idris is starring. hes really good at acting

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

katlington posted:

i thought he was a drunk
He had been doing a lot of mescaline around the time of the Gunslinger, and it shows:

"Stephen King's [i posted:

Gunslinger[/i]"]
The grass screamed green at him; it seemed that if he bent over and rubbed his hands in it he would stand up with green paint all over his fingers and palms.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TontoCorazon posted:

Somebody summarize dark tower for me so I can have an informed opinion when this subject comes up again.

Something about giant lobsters. There's a train.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Mescaline is the loving Cadillac of psychedelics. Everybody likes to beat their chest about LSD but guess what turd just like weed nature has provided you with better and safer materials.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

im getting mesced up right now

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

TontoCorazon posted:

An old west cowboy from the future (but it's medieval times) teams up with a junkie from the 1980s Bronx and a racist caricature black lady in a wheelchiar who, with the help and hindrance of various Stephen King character cameos, fight against an interdimensional conspiracy of autistic people led by Santa Claus who sap the brain energy of children, making them into giants with big rear end tits and dicks, in order to bring the end of the world. Also Stephen King himself appears in the books from time to time.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
The two books following the first dark tower novel are readable but decidedly products of an author who has been far removed from the vibrant and drug addled youth who wrote the first and is now in a somewhat rote space as far as their authorial voice goes. Past those two and it's garbage all the way down.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
how pawgs are gonna be in the movie drshark

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I almost forgot, they also have a talking dog mascot that has a scooby doo style speech impediment.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Stephen King is trash

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Oh yeah and the bad guy for like 5 out of the 7 main Dark Tower books gets killed by a newly introduced spider guy who then dies from food poisoning or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

TontoCorazon posted:

For its fans, the Dark Tower books are like that Star Trek TNG episode where they discover a race of people which can only communicate exclusively through references to their own cultural narrative history.
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra," et al.

For example:

"Sharduk, when the beam was found."

"Lobstrosities (dad-a-chik, dad-a-chum), the makers of necessity who lurk in the deep"

"Astin and popkins, the Doors' sweet succor."

I could go on...

• Locked thread