Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm sort of confused as to why they didn't get Jeffrey Dean Morgan, since he looks closer to the book and can be had for cheaper than Elba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
get walton goggins to play eddy

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The reason why The Dark Tower has never successfully been turned into a movie is that whenever they are writing the script, once they get to the end they find out they are back at the beginning again. It's a never ending process.

Edit - That joke was for the 2 other people that read the last book :D

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 9, 2016

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
I unironically love the Dark Tower but it would make a lovely movie series. All the interdimensional cowboy slow mutant-shooting of the first book is actually tame by modern movie standards. Then the interesting fantasy elements like the doors in The Drawing of the Three would have to be changed so audiences could understand it, and then what's even the point?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

good kid actors are hard to find. get an annoying kid to play jake and it could be Phantom Menace all over again

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If an annoying kid plays Jake, it will be more satisfying when Ronald drops him into a pit

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

If an annoying kid plays Jake, it will be more satisfying when Ronald drops him into a pit

good point!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Who are they going to get to re-write the last three books as something other than the author's self insert fan fiction?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

remember how they teased us in The Mist?

holy god that was a good movie

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

:jerkbag:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i will end your life

edit: sorry im all riled up this morning i need to take my pills and lie down a while

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

For its fans, the Dark Tower books are like that Star Trek TNG episode where they discover a race of people which can only communicate exclusively through references to their own cultural narrative history.
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra," et al.

For example:

"Sharduk, when the beam was found."

"Lobstrosities (dad-a-chik, dad-a-chum), the makers of necessity who lurk in the deep"

"Astin and popkins, the Doors' sweet succor."

I could go on...

ka

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
The Running Man had an awesome ending.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This really would work better as a TV serial with a respectable budget, like Game of Thrones. They could save on sets because everything takes place in the woods or modern day New York. They could shoot the Lud scenes in Detroit or Homs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ChrisHansen posted:

Keep that terrorist sympathizing poo poo to yourself ChrisHansen.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I think the biggest change they will have to do is take Sussanah out of the wheelchair. It's really hard to shoot with one actor standing and one sitting, almost everythig they do would have to be in wide shot. Maybe give her a limp or need crutches. If this actually gets made I wonder who would play young Roland in Wizard and Glass. Michael B.Jordan?

Not that I'm suggesting this but you ever see an X-man movie?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The reason why The Dark Tower has never successfully been turned into a movie is that whenever they are writing the script, once they get to the end they find out they are back at the beginning again. It's a never ending process.

Edit - That joke was for the 2 other people that read the last book :D

:hfive:

That and the writing himself in were the things that ruined it for me. I could deal the generally crumminess of the last few books, but this poo poo was so unimaginative and cheap.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

ChrisHansen posted:

The short story, not the movie, right?

In 8th grade art class I had to do a drawing showing "Perspective", so I drew the ending of that story from the view of someone standing on the ground, looking up towards the top of the building as the plane impacted.

This was pre 9-11, so although I had to explain the drawing several times, there were no concerns about "TERRORISM!!!"

Roland is a leathery white guy. Sorry, just how it is.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

What was the point of Roland bringing the racist woman to the team? That she was a reverse succubus and trapped a demon with the power of her vagina?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

What was the point of Roland bringing the racist woman to the team? That she was a reverse succubus and trapped a demon with the power of her vagina?

She also fell in love with Eddy, but yeah, I think that was the main thing.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Will the movie be interrupted near the ending by Stephen King himself to call you a loser bastard who's probably poo poo in bed if you want to have an ending to a story before the ending turns out to be the movie restarting?

Because if not, I don't think they're being very true to the books.

V: Begging you not to read the end is one thing, he goes a step farther to actively attack the reader. But yes, it is all barking mad.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 9, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

a hole-y ghost posted:

An old west cowboy from the future (but it's medieval times) teams up with a junkie from the 1980s Bronx and a racist caricature black lady in a wheelchiar who, with the help and hindrance of various Stephen King character cameos, fight against an interdimensional conspiracy of autistic people led by Santa Claus who sap the brain energy of children, making them into giants with big rear end tits and dicks, in order to bring the end of the world. Also Stephen King himself appears in the books from time to time.

I almost forgot, they also have a talking dog mascot that has a scooby doo style speech impediment.

Oh yeah and the bad guy for like 5 out of the 7 main Dark Tower books gets killed by a newly introduced spider guy who then dies from food poisoning or something.
I can confirm this is an accurate description. Handwave in a crazy train, the characters saving Stephen King's life from the real-world car accident he was in, and a whole lot of rape. The pennultimate chapter is literally pages of King begging you not to read the end because he knows it sucks. And then you read the end and it does suck Roland climbs the Dark Tower seeing scenes of his life depicted on each floor, reaches the top of the tower, opens the door and the books restart but this time Roland has a sweet horn.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
dark tower is ya lit for waterheads

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Also don't forget the village of Twins that was regularly raided by DOOMBOTS.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

WhyteRyce posted:

She's a natural gunslinger, same as Eddy and Jake. Roland needed a ka-tet to reach his goal.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Thought they already shooting this movie. They changed the name to westworld.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
no joke back in college in my stage direction class a big lug name of aaaarrrrrooonnnnnnnnn wanted to make a stage play of the loving dark tower and his pitch included no graphics, no props, just him standing in front of the class with a tattered copy of the first book and him basically telling you the whole loving plot of the story and why he likes it and that's why he'd make a stage play of steven king's loving dark tower

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
oh and he said the book was basically wizard of oz and there were already lots of wizard of oz stage plays so obviously dark tower would work too, okay???

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

The Snark posted:

Also don't forget the village of Twins that was regularly raided by DOOMBOTS.

In case anyone thinks this is a joke

Wikipedia - The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla posted:

The wolves attack, using weapons resembling the snitches found in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series (which are actually stamped 'Harry Potter Model') and lightsabers found in George Lucas' Star Wars, and are revealed to be robots and to have Doctor Doom-like visages.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cram me sideways posted:

no joke back in college in my stage direction class a big lug name of aaaarrrrrooonnnnnnnnn wanted to make a stage play of the loving dark tower and his pitch included no graphics, no props, just him standing in front of the class with a tattered copy of the first book and him basically telling you the whole loving plot of the story and why he likes it and that's why he'd make a stage play of steven king's loving dark tower

Seems like he has a very avant-garde sensibility that you just don't fully appreciate.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Atoramos posted:

It was actually worse than I remembered!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Don't forget the vampires, or the picture-drawing child from King's other book they run into in the final Dark Tower book. And then they reach the mythical 'Red King' who's supposedly the biggest, baddest being in King's universe, who's impotently standing on a balcony on the dark tower with a crate of grenades. And then the hearts-in-atlantis kid they just bumped into erases the Red King before we get to see a confrontation, just like the spider-thing earlier. Also they stumble across the literal emerald city from Wizard of Oz. This is on top of the snitches and lightsabers.

It's been over a decade, but I think the flashback in book IV and the lightsaber-wielding, snitch-throwing doombots they defeat in book V are the only actual story-relevant showdowns that ever occur.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
A lot of people I know got upset when the black guy was cast and I laughed at the nerds,

But under yalls criticisms I looked over the synopsis of the books. Lol if I got 4 books in and the writer literally put himself in it I would have given up. And the main character is suppose to look like the author too? What a loving joke

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Atoramos posted:

Whet the actual gently caress? I dated a girl with a ka tattoo or whatever and I was naive to think it would have to be a somewhat competent book for her to get it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Book 4 was my favorite one so they should just make that into a movie so I can watch teenagers act like teenagers. And of course deadly slingshots and bog witches and whatnot.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

A lot of people I know got upset when the black guy was cast and I laughed at the nerds,

But under yalls criticisms I looked over the synopsis of the books. Lol if I got 4 books in and the writer literally put himself in it I would have given up. And the main character is suppose to look like the author too? What a loving joke

Books 1-3 were actually great books. Then they did a flashback with book 4 which was alright but killed the storyline. Then King got hit by a car and lost his goddamn mind because he realized he might die before finishing his Magnum Opus, the Dark Tower. Suddenly there's snitches and lightsabers and his characters get put in real-world Maine where they save King from the very car accident that just happened.

To put this in perspective, books 1-4 took from 1982 through 1997 to write. Books 5-7 all came out between 2003 and 2004. King clearly had a literal mental breakdown, ruined his Magnum Opus, tried to stop writing altogether, and my guess is after recognizing he poo poo the bed with Dark Tower he's trying to put out more work he's not ashamed of.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Atoramos posted:

Books 1-3 were actually great books. Then they did a flashback with book 4 which was alright but killed the storyline. Then King got hit by a car and lost his goddamn mind because he realized he might die before finishing his Magnum Opus, the Dark Tower. Suddenly there's snitches and lightsabers and his characters get put in real-world Maine where they save King from the very car accident that just happened.

To put this in perspective, books 1-4 took from 1982 through 1997 to write. Books 5-7 all came out between 2003 and 2004. King clearly had a literal mental breakdown, ruined his Magnum Opus, tried to stop writing altogether, and my guess is after recognizing he poo poo the bed with Dark Tower he's trying to put out more work he's not ashamed of.

Lol at writing dark and scary stuff then literally ruining your greatest work
Because you're afraid of dying he should of self inserted himself as a giant lovely baby

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

All I remember about IV was Roland repeatedly banging some chick in a swamp

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

All I remember about IV was Roland repeatedly banging some chick in a swamp

Also a retarded kid that helped them and the girl Roland was banging having a crush on Cuthbert, and Bert shooting a guys fingers off with a slingshot, and bog witches, and then something with Randall Flagg I think. Can't remember, but it was fun because I was a teenager at the time so it made sense to me.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Cantaloupe posted:

that's cool, I thought it got canned years ago

It gets canned again and again, for Ka is like a wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also a retarded kid that helped them and the girl Roland was banging having a crush on Cuthbert, and Bert shooting a guys fingers off with a slingshot, and bog witches, and then something with Randall Flagg I think. Can't remember, but it was fun because I was a teenager at the time so it made sense to me.

Oh yeah and the Riddle-Off with the train that Eddy won by sitting for like 8 hours staring intently off into the distance before he figured out that all he needed to do to defeat the evil train was to tell bad riddles.

• Locked thread