Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The survivors find a wounded wild Jeff Probst in the wild, Nick argues to put it down. Tai looks horrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The preview for next ep made me dread Tai.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I hope the chickens are eaten by a gila monster.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Poque posted:

The preview for next ep made me dread Tai.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I know it's very much getting-worried-about-tv-shows but I'm genuinely concerned about how they're going to portray that scene

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Poque posted:

I know it's very much getting-worried-about-tv-shows but I'm genuinely concerned about how they're going to portray that scene

I'm not. Tai's getting a fan favorite edit so the show might make him look goofy, but he's getting a positive edit regardless.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

LostRook posted:

I'm not. Tai's getting a fan favorite edit so the show might make him look goofy, but he's getting a positive edit regardless.

that's what's concerning

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

that was great. I hope she continues to gift us with moments like this for many episodes to come. She has the promise of being a great trainwreck character.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

to be fair, this is something I imagine I would do

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah I get the feeling the editors really didn't like her.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

"I'm a mental giant!" :haw:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The gay panic on his face... it's priceless.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm sure y'all'd still be laughing if Caleb tried to kiss an unwilling Anna, right?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Poque posted:

I'm sure y'all'd still be laughing if Caleb tried to kiss an unwilling Anna, right?

its almost like one of those people is a huge strong man in a world where huge strong men frequently attack and harm women

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I laughed when Ted dry humped Ghandia.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
B-but have you not all considered that I Do Not Like Tai???

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Poque posted:

I would. Probably not as hard, but I'd laugh.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

blue squares posted:

its almost like one of those people is a huge strong man in a world where huge strong men frequently attack and harm women

so that invalidates Caleb's right to not have a wacko stranger who hasn't brushed his teeth in a week try to kiss him? That's a stupid and lovely rationalization. Caleb doesn't lose his autonomy because he's a big straight dude.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Poque posted:

so that invalidates Caleb's right to not have a wacko stranger who hasn't brushed his teeth in a week try to kiss him? That's a stupid and lovely rationalization. Caleb doesn't lose his autonomy because he's a big straight dude.

Thank god you're here. If not for you, who would speak up for buff white dudes?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I'll tell my boyfriend you're proud of me. Sorry I don't want a gross disrespectful dude representing me on Survivor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Poque is right though...Caleb is a big white dude. That does not mean that he does not have bodily autonomy and a right to deny advances.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This isn't even meant to be a defense of Caleb, who still clearly has the right to not be assaulted on the island. It's an objection to Tai's behavior and also the way Survivor edits unwanted sexual interactions, see Richard Hatch and Sue in All-Stars for another example. People think this sort of thing is funny and love to treat it as harmless because they still view same-sex sexual interaction as a silly funny thing, and that attitude is extremely harmful to people like me. The way Survivor excuses this sort of situation as harmless isn't cute, isn't good, and isn't right

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You guys aren't wrong but I feel like you're missing the whole 'these reality show people are attention whores acting outrageous for our entertainment' thing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

You guys aren't wrong but I feel like you're missing the whole 'these reality show people are attention whores acting outrageous for our entertainment' thing.

You're definitely right on that and it's very possible the producers even asked Tai to play up his personality, which is also terrible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Judging just off the little preview clip; Tai isn't trying to be a bad guy; on the whole the interaction is fairly harmless in a vacuum; but as Poque says, its indicative of a casual attitude toward unwanted contact.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

edit: sorry Ive been arguing too much in the Dem primary thread and was in "pick a fight" mode. You're right, Poque. No one should be making unwanted physical advances.
okay this is dumb and ive been drinking mimosas, let's enjoy another fine season of survivor

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tai is like a magical pixie dream boy who's so twee he can try to bite something out of a tough cowboy dude's teeth and get away with it.

edit: this was just a flip little prediction I posted on my iPod, reading more of the discussion I definitely agree that if you have reason to know your physical attention is unwanted then don't

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 20, 2016

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I absolutely agree with Poque here, but I'll still lose it if Caleb says that he's 150-200% satisfied in his real-life relationship.

That said, in all seriousness, it seems like one of those made-for-TV moments that they really can't leave out of the edit. Team TV will love it, and you get a ton of character-building from about 20 seconds of footage. The fact that they went so far as to put it in the preview is distasteful at best but, again, one can understand the sensationalism. It just sucks because I can't imagine anybody's going to be tuning in next week specifically because of the creepster in the promo.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't remember how the edit treated Coach's face-licking. Was it played for laughs and we just thought it was outrageous itt, or was it shown as gross in the show?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

I absolutely agree with Poque here, but I'll still lose it if Caleb says that he's 150-200% satisfied in his real-life relationship.

That said, in all seriousness, it seems like one of those made-for-TV moments that they really can't leave out of the edit. Team TV will love it, and you get a ton of character-building from about 20 seconds of footage. The fact that they went so far as to put it in the preview is distasteful at best but, again, one can understand the sensationalism. It just sucks because I can't imagine anybody's going to be tuning in next week specifically because of the creepster in the promo.

Tai's probably the most memorable and colorful character from the first episode but dude's a definite early boot, they gotta milk him for all the good TV he's worth.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Apparently according to Jeff:

quote:

Tai is going to be someone the audience gravitates to very quickly. He’s a gardener who loves all living things and yet has chosen to play one of the nastiest games ever invented.

So I think he'll be sticking around for a while.

I'm not sure anyone could top Colton for the King Nasty prize, though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't remember how the edit treated Coach's face-licking. Was it played for laughs and we just thought it was outrageous itt, or was it shown as gross in the show?

I couldn't find it in archives, but this thread was generally very Coach-positive (until South Pacific, at least).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

If Jeff is saying the audience gravitates to him, then he doesn't mean Colton-style nasty, I'd hope

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I wanna see how weird Tai gets.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this is probably the most neurotic cast yet and i really enjoy it

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Looking at the context, I think "nastiest games ever invented" just means Survivor not Tai's specific strategy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's hard to tell from the phrasing whether Jeff means that Tai has chosen to play Survivor, which is one of the nastiest games ever invented, or that Tai has chosen to adopt a nasty game style for survivor. I suspect the former.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

minoru suzuki posted:

this is probably the most neurotic cast yet and i really enjoy it

Hence why one of the three women on the Beauty tribe is gonna win, by virtue of everyone else being crazy or getting medevaced. I heard that Jeff said one of the three is the new Parvati (Michele). also the old standby mass-guessing theory - Jeff is not super-hype about this season, therefore a woman won. :<:

I know people here don't like to do this, but I do!

Ep. 1 Winner Contenders
1. Michele (Beauty girl, I have a very, very good feeling about her)
2. Jason (getting real "villain of the season" vibes)
3. Anna (Beauty girl)
4. Jennifer (badass, really likable)
5. Neal (went for a good strategy right off the bat, knows what he's doing)
6. Julia (Beauty girl)

????
Cydney (I don't know what to make of her yet)
Scot (I think he may do better than any of the recent sportsballers, but winning seems unlikely because they know he's got money)
Joe (didn't see that much of him, someone else called him a likely medevac, but I get the feeling we're supposed to like him a lot)
Aubry (her big moment was a breakdown, but maybe they showed that to make her challenge dominance even more amazing?)
Tai (getting more of a "fan favorite" vibe)

Not Winning
Debbie (getting a Coach type of edit, also I don't know how the Brains don't boot her at the first opportunity)
Liz (I have a baaaaad feeling about her - I would be surprised if she makes the merge)
Alecia (I feel really bad for her, actually. Next boot for the Brawn tribe?)
Nick (would've been more visible, douchey vibes, likely boot if Beauty does go to tribal as the girls have deemed Caleb trustworthy, and I have some measure of faith in Tai to turn things around)
Peter (toneless, arrogant?)
Caleb (lol he's not winning, but he might help someone else win, and get cut shortly before the endgame)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Pretty much in line with my own assessment with a couple caveats.

Spatula City posted:

Hence why one of the three women on the Beauty tribe is gonna win, by virtue of everyone else being crazy or getting medevaced. I heard that Jeff said one of the three is the new Parvati (Michele). also the old standby mass-guessing theory - Jeff is not super-hype about this season, therefore a woman won. :<:

I remember some people discounting Jeremy as a winner and convinced Wentworth won last season for a similar reason. I'm not going to rule out the possibility, but I think Jeff's a lot more circumspect with his praise after being burned by Worlds Apart. Maybe an old dog did learn a new trick.

As it stands now, the Beauty trio are a little hard for me to differentiate. Julia's in the weakest position of the three, but with just the information on the screen it's hard to tell which of the three will pull out in front.

Spatula City posted:

2. Jason (getting real "villain of the season" vibes)

His portrayal is a bit more complex than the standard villain mold, more of a Tony than a Russell. He's almost certainly going far, but who can say how far.

Spatula City posted:

????

Joe (didn't see that much of him, someone else called him a likely medevac, but I get the feeling we're supposed to like him a lot)
Aubry (her big moment was a breakdown, but maybe they showed that to make her challenge dominance even more amazing?)
Liz (I have a baaaaad feeling about her - I would be surprised if she makes the merge)
Neal (went for a good strategy right off the bat, knows what he's doing)
Peter (toneless, arrogant?)

I'm reserving judgement on Brains. Aubry's redemption struck me as a little hollow, and Neal had a good grasp of things but it seemed liked his portrayal lacked depth.

• Locked thread