Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is ram usage bad
yes
no (correct option, tick this one)
maybe
View Results

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
lol @ when someone tells u that a rpogram usues too much ram

mm yeah i love having all this ram sitting there idle SAID A DUMB rear end IDIOT HELLFUCKWR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
is this the 90s

hold on a second i need to edit himem.sys

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Chrome may be the best browser around, but it eats up your PC’s RAM like turkey on Thanksgiving. If you’ve ever looked at your task manager, you’ve probably flipped out at the sheer number of Chrome processes and the memory they hog. Here’s why Chrome uses so much RAM, and how to curb its gluttony.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ram usage is good, though you don't want to be using all ur ram because then you can't open any more programs

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
if all you ever do on your toy computer is browse the net then yeah, chrome's ram usage doesn't matter

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Used to be that programs took up not much ram. Now it's just whatever the slob programmer feels like. No respect for the ram anymore and I'm sick to hell of it.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
if it can't start with ulimit -v 32768 then maybe you shouldn't be running it in the first place

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the point is, ladies and gentleman, that ram -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

ram is right.

ram works.

ram clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

ram, in all of its forms -- ram for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

and ram -- you mark my words -- will not only save yospos, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

yard salad posted:

Used to be that programs took up not much ram. Now it's just whatever the slob programmer feels like. No respect for the ram anymore and I'm sick to hell of it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol if you don't have a deece 4 and half figgies of ram

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

so what if i have 16 gigs, if i only use 1 gig and keep the other 15 in good unused condition i can sell teh ram for more later DUMBASS

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

one of my iPods only has like 512megs of ram

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I still remember that precious day when I, white teenaged boy, purchased a massive 512megs of ram on a so-dimm or something

played some qiii and aoc on my hp beast when I got home holy poo poo

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
when i was a teenager i went to a micro computer event and there was a company selling 64k ram upgrades for the commodore pet, for a few thousand pounds sterling, which was a stupid amount of money in them days

i remember thinking to myself, who would ever need 64k, that's more memory than i can imagine

hehe that's me story lads cheers

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:waycool: cheers bud

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
three thousand pounds if i remember correctly me old cock

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just download a ram doubler

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
I use tomcat, eclipse, chrome, and sublime. I need all the Rams I can get

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my computer is slow because chrome makes it swap to my hard drive

it swaps to my hard drive because my ssd barely has any free space and starts eating files if i use it too much

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
just pressed the task manager to check my ram and realized ide never seen the screen before. windows10 supremacy.

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
Hey there, wats ram lol

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
utorrent would use 5gb of ram for me
that's too much ram for what it does

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what does it do?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

what does it do?
lowers my upload bandwidth by 80%

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

copyright free

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only check my RAM usage because lately some of my Steam games have been memory leaking and even though Windows 10 is some drat win, they haven't figured out how to reclaim leaked memory after the process dies so I have to restart my PC sometimes

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

i went with 32gb for my new build + new laptop solely so i could stop checking memory usage for another five years

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

now youl just be checking it smugly

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I put in 32gigs of ram into my sisters computer. now she has 32 tabs of candy crush style games open on chrome and complains about how slow her computer still is.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

you can't spell program without ram

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

58% of 16 gigs on one box, 52% of 16 gigs on another right now

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
:agreed: op except my anroid tablet has only like 2gb of ram :ohdear:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dr. Honked posted:

the point is, ladies and gentleman, that ram -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

ram is right.

ram works.

ram clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

ram, in all of its forms -- ram for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

and ram -- you mark my words -- will not only save yospos, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

network?

Dr. Honked posted:

when i was a teenager i went to a micro computer event and there was a company selling 64k ram upgrades for the commodore pet, for a few thousand pounds sterling, which was a stupid amount of money in them days

i remember thinking to myself, who would ever need 64k, that's more memory than i can imagine

hehe that's me story lads cheers

and then five years later $600 got you a c64 with 64k of ram

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wilford Cutlery posted:

you can't spell program without ram

:raise: :wth:!!
cant unsee

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

st louis just lost all its rams :(

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm thinking of upgrading to 16gb soon

also when I get that iBook the memory will come at an extreme premium

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
regardless of how many tabs or windows of chome i have open it never gets close to 3 or 4 gb , and i have 32

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I use Firefox tab groups and I'm really gonna miss when they're gone

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

low chicken prices > low ram usage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

if jre is using your ram them its bad because java memory management is poo poo but if its anything else then it is good

• Locked thread