Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

They already did secret lizard men twice and it sucked big time. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1307824/

Really? Well there goes that stupid theory. Still think a gangstalking RTS would be cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
stargate is a good movie

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Chomp8645 posted:

On a whim the other day I watched a Kurt Russell film called "Escape from LA". It stars a commando-type dude with an eye patch who is literally named "Snake" and has to go on a mission to save the world. The nature of the mission and the reason it is necessary are completely absurd but everyone in the film treats it completely serious. It came out in 1984.

I now believe that it is directly responsible for the entire Metal Gear franchise.

Heavens to betsy

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

I.C. posted:

I always get "Stargate" confused with "Event Horizon." I've never seen "Stargate." I saw the other one a couple of years ago and it was pretty good!

Event Horizon was really good. Stargate was a terrible movie but I enjoyed the series as a kid / teenager.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Race Realists posted:

the set design reminds me all too much of jupiter ascending

Yeah that is because it is poo poo just like the entire rest of the movie. The art design for jupiter ascending offends me in a way that i just cant put into words... id have to express it as a series of shrieks and woofs and cries that ill record later

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are titties in the pilot episode for Stargate, thereby automatically making it superior to any sci-fi show without titties.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The need for titties in sci fi begins and ends with starship troopers

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

*AHEM* actually it begins with Total Recall and ends with Starship Troopers (both Paul Verhoven Films).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nathilus posted:

You jest but he was easily the best part of the show.

I'm not saying he was bad, it's just funny that he's literally worf.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Disappointing this guys career never took off as one would hope.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kuato posted:

Disappointing this guys career never took off as one would hope.

Actually Sarah Jessica Parker is quite famous.

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I been marathoning sg-1. its good. teal'c is good. star trek with humor and guns is good. wish I had seen this show as an impressionable child vs. being a 30 something man though. thanks

naem
May 29, 2011

I've only ever watched this show at the laundromat in college. Like every time I went to do laundry it was on which was nice

The best part is you don't need to know the plot or anything- every episode features blonde guy arguing with military guy followed by stargating to the Canadian line forest alien planet, then the black guy with a weird forehead would say something deep sounding, then they yell LOOKOUT and all jump and a bad cgi laser happens. And the syndications didn't always match the commercial breaks where they were supposed to go so they'd LOOKOUT and jump out of the way of the laser a second time for no reason (there was supposed to be a commercial in between where they show the laser after the commercial too)

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have been watching it on amazon and their streams retain some of that weirdness but sometimes it also appears to have been awkwardly edited around, so you get what looks like random fades to black in the middle of scenes and the soundtrack just cutting off

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I taught ESL, one of the textbooks came with a bunch of junior novels and one of them was a simple English adaptation of the original Stargate movie. I really want to know the decision making process behind that.

I love Stargate though. It's campy as gently caress.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
SG1 was really good until macguyver left

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moola posted:

SG1 was really good until macguyver left

And even then it was still pretty good.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I remember the Oreo stuff being really dull and boring

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I like how colonel macguyver solves most problems by shooting or blowing them up and his character mirrors my reaction to most of the butthole stupid aliens in the show

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich
there was an ep where they gently caress up the sun on some space amish planet and they want to help these dumbass religion havers, but they aren't having it and a slimy one sabotages their solution and gets some guys killed and the col. just says "okay gently caress these guys we're leaving." it should have ended right there though, roll credits

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm not saying he was bad, it's just funny that he's literally worf.

Worf is good. Worf makes sci fi shows good. TNG: good. DS9: good. Stargate: mostly good. Farscape: scottish tentacle Worf good.

Applewhite posted:

And even then it was still pretty good.

Macguyver 2 colonel wasn't bad. No one but DANIEL JACKSON was really bad and at least he was kicked off or ascended or w/e sometimes.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Nathilus posted:

Worf is good. Worf makes sci fi shows good. TNG: good. DS9: good. Stargate: mostly good. Farscape: scottish tentacle Worf good.

i'd hitch my boat to that worf

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What about Andromeda Nietzsche Worf?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stargate is best American Secular myth.

Are aliens real? You bet your rear end they are, fucko - they used to be our Gods and now the US Air Force either kills him or cuts deals. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition :clint:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nathilus posted:

Yeah I'm actually watching farscape now, it surprised me how good it is. Unlike star trek the characters have like, personality. There's none of that detached "star trek" affect that most characters seem to put on, especially in tng.

Babylon 5 doesn't *really* have a worf - G'kar is closest but he's so much more.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The greatest crime of any Stargate is that Gary Busey didn't play O'Neil.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stargate is like Star Trek that doesn't take it self seriously and wasn't written by hippies. The movie sucked rear end but the TV show is alright. It's literally the Star Trek formula but with the military instead of the spandex space homo crew though.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
The inexplicable scenes with naked women in the pilot episode was pretty good. The rest was pretty meh I supposed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The pilot was the first time I'd ever seen full bush on TV.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

thathonkey posted:

Applewhite posted:

*AHEM* actually it begins with Total Recall and ends with Starship Troopers (both Paul Verhoven Films).

Does the extra tit in Recall make up for the redhead getting topless instead of Denise Richards in Troopers?

Vote Now

In every episode of Stargate that I ever saw, the team couldn't get five feet without the Carter lady picking a lock or hacking a computer.

Also, the doctor lady back at their base was milfy as gently caress.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

chaosbreather posted:

every popular retarded conspiracy has made and will make for fantastic tv

roswell government conspiracy = xfiles
chariots of the gods = stargate/sg1
cryogenics = that episode of tng where the people from the past get unfrozen and they're like, how's my stocks doing (also Futurama i guess)
911 truthers = homeland (i'm guessing, haven't seen it)
united nations = babylon 5

see paranoia is like megacreativity. needless to say the first person in a place who realises this and finds out about secret lizard men and gangstalking is going to make a lottt of fuckin money and some very good television shows

I thought the lizard people thing started because someone watched an episode of "v" in the 80s and thought it was real.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I'm actually watching farscape now, it surprised me how good it is. Unlike star trek the characters have like, personality. There's none of that detached "star trek" affect that most characters seem to put on, especially in tng.

Babylon 5 doesn't *really* have a worf - G'kar is closest but he's so much more.

It's a given that a bunch of space reprobates are gonna be more salty and colorful than pampered milquetoast federation chumps imo.

Agreed about babylon 5. G'kar might start out worfish but then he turns into space buddha which is even cooler.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
since people are talking about farscape i must play the rival card and bring up how awesome Lexx is.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Light Gun Man posted:

since people are talking about farscape i must play the rival card and bring up how awesome Lexx is.

How awesome lexx is: as awesome as a three legged dead dog. As awesome as a bad marriage. As awesome as a gradeschool rendition of The Tempest. As awesome as untrimmed pubes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nathilus posted:

As awesome as untrimmed pubes.

We already went over this, that was the pilot ep of stargate

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Nathilus posted:

How awesome lexx is: as awesome as a three legged dead dog. As awesome as a bad marriage. As awesome as a gradeschool rendition of The Tempest. As awesome as untrimmed pubes.

wow you must think dead dogs, bad marriages, gradeschool tempest and untrimmed pubes are loving rad

i mean they must be if you think they're all as awesome as a show that depicts the destruction of the entire universe. as the protagonist's plan.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah I watched Lexx first and, uh, geez. I liked the first season a lot, why did they keep shifting tone? Seasons 2, 3, and 4 are nothing like each other.

The wheel it turns, it rolls around, it makes an ancient rumbling sound.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Isn't Stargate about white people freeing browns from slavery? Sounds cool 2 me.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

chaosbreather posted:

wow you must think dead dogs, bad marriages, gradeschool tempest and untrimmed pubes are loving rad

i mean they must be if you think they're all as awesome as a show that depicts the destruction of the entire universe. as the protagonist's plan.

Lexx is bad mmmkay? It's unique enough to make you continue watching it in the hopes it will be good but not unique enough to cover for the sophomoric everything else.

Edit: If ur Canadian I'll excuse you for having a bit of misplaced national pride. It's understandable. If not, gently caress YOU BUUDY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Nathilus posted:

Lexx is bad mmmkay? It's unique enough to make you continue watching it in the hopes it will be good but not unique enough to cover for the sophomoric everything else.

Edit: If ur Canadian I'll excuse you for having a bit of misplaced national pride. It's understandable. If not, gently caress YOU BUUDY.

im no canadian, i don't steal other people's phones all the time

• Locked thread