Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Put his body in a special electromagnetic trap and use the Black Hole where his heart should be to power America forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm glad he's dead and I hope there's a hell where he can burn. gently caress him, the country will be better without him.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Good riddance

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
So, uh, I guess we have a constitutional crisis now?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
where were you when you heard Scalia was dead?

I was pooping, which seems incredibly appropriate, in retrospect

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Why?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Not until Hillary wins.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Good stuff.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

You could say its a FINAL Crisis.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Huge

and gently caress that homophobic rear end in a top hat

wow.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

No.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

nah, we've had long stretches of the court not being at full length before. First few Nixon nominees, last of Reagan's stint off the top of my head

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As someone who doesn't pay attention to american politics can someone tell me why this old white man was hated so much

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

As someone who doesn't pay attention to american politics can someone tell me why this old white man was hated so much

He was a rude boy who did bad stuff.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

congress drags obama's appointment out until he's out of office

bernie wins

bernie puts obama onto the bench

:circlefap:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

Big fan of the Lochner era.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Reminder :

quote:

When the Senate is in recess, a president may make temporary appointments to fill vacancies. Recess appointees hold office only until the end of the next Senate session (less than two years). The Senate must confirm the nominee for them to continue serving; of the two chief justices and six associate justices who have received recess appointments, only Chief Justice John Rutledge was not subsequently confirmed.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Abu Dave posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/us/with-remarks-in-affirmative-action-case-scalia-steps-into-mismatch-debate.html

quote:

In an awkward exchange in Wednesday’s potentially game-changing Supreme Court arguments on affirmative action, Justice Antonin Scalia hesitantly asked whether it might be better for black students to go to “a slower-track school where they do well” than to go to a highly selective college, like the University of Texas, through some form of racial preference.

one of probably several thousand examples.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
My dinner party erupted into a spontaneous hugfest with smiles all around and there was only one half-American present.
Love truly is in the air tonight.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/09/politics/scalia-black-scientists-scotus/

One recent example.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Abu Dave posted:

Reactionary Supreme Court justice who in his dotage started sounding more and more like a Fox News talking head. Notable for his seemingly very personal animus against gay people and his willingness to shameless shred even his own precedents to give the GOP what it wanted.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
was Scalia the one that had the quote about just because this guy didn't do the crime doesn't mean that he wasn't sentenced appropriately by the law?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

congress drags obama's appointment out until he's out of office

bernie wins

bernie puts obama onto the bench

:circlefap:

Only problem is that the Democratic Party has to win control of the Senate as well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Nah, SCOTUS has been down members before, and split decisions just result in deferring to the lower court. Yes, there's almost zero chance Obama is able to push a candidate through the Senate, but come 2017 we'll hopefully have President Hillary and a Dem controlled Senate. They only need a simple majority to confirm, so even if it's only by one seat, it'll do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Defenestration posted:

was Scalia the one that had the quote about just because this guy didn't do the crime doesn't mean that he wasn't sentenced appropriately by the law?

Yes.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Abu Dave posted:

He represented the hard ideological right on the bench. With a dittoer on the court like Thomas having an ideologue like Scalia on the court was only further amplified. He has been a bulwark to social progress for decades.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Looking forward to everyone in the media talking about what a great guy Scalia was for the next couple of days.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Senate is in Recess right now which would mean Obama can appoint someone as to fill a vacancy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:getin:

Do it Obama.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I agree he was handsome

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
It's a good day.

I don't normally like being happy when even an odious person dies but god drat this is one day I can't contain myself

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fojar38 posted:

He lived juuuuuuust long enough to see gay marriage legalized everywhere.

And with any luck, getting trolled on that is what finally pushed him over the edge.

I'm just a humble internet sociopath, but it seems to me no one should be particularly sad about this. I'm sure it's horrible for his loved ones, and they have my sympathy, but the man was a craven shill and had no problem loving over millions of people without even the veneer of internal consistency. The United States was just made a nicer place solely by this.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I hate to celebrate the death of anyone, but I think a sizable portion of the population will sigh relief at Scalia's passing and his subsequent inability to spread bile vis a vis Supreme Court decisions any longer.

The bad news is, though, Scalia will probably take aim at replacing King Yama's position of judging the dead who pass on to the afterlife, so it'll be rough for those of us going into the skeleton and/or ghost phase of our (un)lives. :skeltal:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Defenestration posted:

The quote you usually hear is a false attribution, but it is a fair description of his jurisprudence.

Or at least, was. G'bye, Tony!

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Other reminder:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/supreme-court-recess-appointments-108347

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Isn't the Supreme court basically going to be 8 people, then 7, then 6 etc? If the Senate can stick their fingers in their butts and refuse any nominations when Obama has a year left, is there any reason to think they'll ever accept a Democratic nomination to the Supreme Court ever again?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wasn't the Supreme Court about to issue a decision on a case on the validity of recess appointments or did that already happen

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shakugan posted:

Isn't the Supreme court basically going to be 8 people, then 7, then 6 etc? If the Senate can stick their fingers in their butts and refuse any nominations when Obama has a year left, is there any reason to think they'll ever accept a Democratic nomination to the Supreme Court ever again?

The fact that they'll probably lose the Senate if they lose the Presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow "“I don’t think,” Mr. Scalia said, “it stands to reason that it’s a good thing for the University of Texas to admit as many blacks as possible.” "

HOw was he not removed instantly for saying something like that

• Locked thread