Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

Lycus posted:

The last scene shouldn't be too hard to get out of, since he lives with Bill. Just say Bill likes listening to weird poo poo.
I feel like you're focusing on the wrong problem given that a mystery man broke into their apartment.

Also, he's there in the room with them isn't he? It was kinda hard to tell, but she followed him to the room with the tape player, no?

GraceGarland fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Forget about the Yellow Card Man!

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I don't really understand why it's so important that he lives out a life in small town America. He could easily generate the cash he needs through future knowledge betting and resets, so why does he need to further alter the timeline by being involved in random people's lives? He'd be able to focus on Oswald and the conspiracy and could easily shut up any suspicions with a wad of cash. I guess there wouldn't really be much of a show in that case though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Overdrift posted:

I don't really understand why it's so important that he lives out a life in small town America.
Partially because spending that much time in the setting and being singularly focused would make him stand out? There's old man Amberson again type stuff.

Partially because Jake's life before he steps through is kind of rough and the small town poo poo gives him an idyllic way to reinvent himself.

Also partially because it lets the Author explore some fun themes about class and race that still reverberate today.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Or for more serious, maybe he stops the assassination and comes back but it's all BTTF II and Donald Trump is president so he goes back into the closet to reset everything and then steps back out.

Maybe he metaphorically "comes out of the closet", if you know what I mean, and hooks up with Lee?

An assasination averted by an rear endasination, get it?

That being said, this show has turned to bullshit. Let's get some time travel shenanigans up in here!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Prediction! Miss Mimi has cancer, hence her constant coughing that the show was deliberate about showing. In 1962, she has no way to get the treatment she needs. Jake brings her with him into the future to get treatment and leaves her there. He goes back into the past and finds a copy of Miss Mimi back in Jodie.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Though it's not clear that someone from the past can use the portal, seeing as it's in the middle of a lot with people walking all around.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Lycus posted:

Though it's not clear that someone from the past can use the portal, seeing as it's in the middle of a lot with people walking all around.

In the book, it was in a slightly more secluded area where you wouldn't be likely to be seen appearing. In the show, it kind of seemed like Franco stepped into an open area with a bunch of people who could potentially see him, so not sure how that "magic" works.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

clockworx posted:

In the book, it was in a slightly more secluded area where you wouldn't be likely to be seen appearing. In the show, it kind of seemed like Franco stepped into an open area with a bunch of people who could potentially see him, so not sure how that "magic" works.

It wouldn't matter. If you saw someone fall out of the air right in front of you, you'd find a way to rationalize it as somehow not having noticed the person and would soon forget all about it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

blue squares posted:

Prediction! Miss Mimi has cancer, hence her constant coughing that the show was deliberate about showing. In 1962, she has no way to get the treatment she needs. Jake brings her with him into the future to get treatment and leaves her there. He goes back into the past and finds a copy of Miss Mimi back in Jodie.

This isn't that kind of time travel story, thank god.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Lycus posted:

Forget about the Yellow Card Man!

One of the things I've noticed is that there are small changes to the intro of each episode. I'm wondering if one of these days the yellow card in the open credits is going to be an orange card.

Edit: Also, am I really thick about the clothespin thing? Is Sadie's (ex-)husband a diaper fetishist? What the hell is going on. I was really glad when Jake was as confused as I was and then really mad when Sadie didn't answer him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I honestly don't understand the clothespin thing. A clothes pin is used to hang clothes on a clothesline. What is he doing with it? Putting it on his dick or something?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Gonna guess her clitoris as it was presented as something that was abusive, demeaning and painful for her.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Shes aid she laughed at first. I'm pretty sure it was on his dick.

I Googled "Clothespin Penis" and of course it's a thing people do. Don't even know why I bothered wondering.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I just did a Google search for 11/22/63 and the top result is "11/22/63 clothespin" so I'm going to assume a lot of people didn't get it.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
It's also an element lifted from another character in the Stephen King universe (Frank Dodd - who I think figures most prominently in The Dead Zone). The backstory for the ex is somewhat different in the book.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 8, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

Miss mimi being deathly ill is definitely gonna be a subplot, just don't know if it'll tie into the main JFK/timetravel stuff. Maybe Jake will end up having to ditch an important hospital visit or her funeral due to his secret mission.

Is this show just a one off mini series thing? If it isn't, maybe the second season will start with the reset people have been clamoring for, and some of these subplots are leading to him trying to influence them into better outcomes next season.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The clothespin goes on his dick, as an earlier poster alluded to. It's likely a sex-shaming thing... Like his mother saw him touching himself as a child and decided to clothespin him because he was a DIRTY DIRTY BIRD DIRTY BIRDS GET THEIR WORMS CHOPPED OFF.

It fits with him marriage raping her and then telling her to clean her dirty self.

There's a whole thing about angst and sexuality (repressed sexuality especially) in King stories. Goes back to Carrie's breast development (Dirty Pillows) and menarche (only dirty unclean sluts bleed). So the time period is especially apt for that stuff.

The hint that the Principal and Miss Mimi have a deeper relationship was a very nice touch, and makes his remark about asking her library question when he first hired Jake a nice touch.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 8, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

savinhill posted:

Is this show just a one off mini series thing? If it isn't, maybe the second season will start with the reset people have been clamoring for, and some of these subplots are leading to him trying to influence them into better outcomes next season.

It was advertised as a miniseries.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

savinhill posted:

Miss mimi being deathly ill is definitely gonna be a subplot, just don't know if it'll tie into the main JFK/timetravel stuff. Maybe Jake will end up having to ditch an important hospital visit or her funeral due to his secret mission.

Medicine has made leaps and bounds in the 50 years since the show takes place, a hospital room where the bed is raised and lowered with hand cranks and the IVs are hooked up to glass bottles would be so alien and dangerous that they'd have to feature some sometime as part of the undercurrent of the past not being as idyllic as it looks.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

The hint that the Principal and Miss Mimi have a deeper relationship was a very nice touch, and makes his remark about asking her library question when he first hired Jake a nice touch.

in the novelbook miss mimi isn't black and she and Deke get married

how come the novel is 11/22/63 and the TV show is 11.22.63

what deeper meaning could it have?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ein cooler Typ posted:

in the novelbook miss mimi isn't black and she and Deke get married

how come the novel is 11/22/63 and the TV show is 11.22.63

what deeper meaning could it have?

File formats don't play nice with forward slashes :filez:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All tv shows titles should include / to thwart criminals

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ein cooler Typ posted:

All tv shows titles should include / to thwart criminals

I'm pretty sure that this was the thought process behind Mr. Robot's episode titles.

quote:

eps1.0_hellofriend.mov
eps1.1_ones-and-zer0es.mpeg
eps1.2_d3bug.mkv
eps1.3_da3m0ns.mp4
eps1.4_3xpl0its.wmv
eps1.5_br4ve-trave1er.asf
eps1.6_v1ew-s0urce.flv
eps1.7_wh1ter0se.m4v
eps1.8_m1rr0r1ng.qt
eps1.9_zer0-day.avi

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sleeveless posted:

I'm pretty sure that this was the thought process behind Mr. Robot's episode titles.

Hahaha was literally about to reply with the same response.

And I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have fallen for it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm really digging the intro for this show.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FilthyImp posted:

The clothespin goes on his dick, as an earlier poster alluded to. It's likely a sex-shaming thing... Like his mother saw him touching himself as a child and decided to clothespin him because he was a DIRTY DIRTY BIRD DIRTY BIRDS GET THEIR WORMS CHOPPED OFF.

It fits with him marriage raping her and then telling her to clean her dirty self.

There's a whole thing about angst and sexuality (repressed sexuality especially) in King stories. Goes back to Carrie's breast development (Dirty Pillows) and menarche (only dirty unclean sluts bleed). So the time period is especially apt for that stuff.

Are you serious? I thought it was a remark about him having a micropenis. I don't want to look this up, jesus. But I will anyway.

Oh god.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, that episode was super dull. And if the CIA is behind JFK's assassination, what do you think you can do about it? Even if you foil one attempt, why wouldn't they just try again? But that issue aside, mostly I'm just bored now. This story doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Is the past still pushing back at him? It doesn't seem to be. Is he making any real progress on saving JFK? He doesn't seem to be. It seems like he's half way between two stories and not really committed to either. One is the JFK thing, the other is him living this life in the '60s, and each of them is getting in the way of the other so neither of them really go anywhere.

FilthyImp posted:

Partially because spending that much time in the setting and being singularly focused would make him stand out? There's old man Amberson again type stuff.
Not really though. He could just be someone that no one really knows or cares about. The only reason people notice him is because of the stuff he's doing to blend in.

ExtraNoise posted:

the clothespin thing
That was so weird and confusing. I thought at first she was going to say that he was gay, but instead it's this stuff about the clothes-pin, and I thought I'd misheard, but then it comes up later and I had to Google it to figure out what the gently caress they were talking about.

B-Hard
Feb 23, 2012

Are you talking to me or my ass?

Advice posted:

You know, I actually had that epiphany about a quarter of the way into the video, I said to myself, "Look, let's just try and disassociate from the book, and enjoy this as a unique and separate piece of media", and I still found several issues that took me out of it. Some were small, "Well that's stupid that he did that", things, and some were more glaring plot holes.

Look, I'm not interested in being THAT GUY in this thread, so I'm going to just lurk and avoid posting. I didn't want to turn this into a book versus movie thing, simply wanted to point out to anybody sharing my sentiments about the plot here on the show, if they haven't checked out the book, let's just say there are a lot more reasonable explanations and a tighter story to be found, if this general outline seems to be interesting to you.

Have fun, boys, King told an amazing story here and I'm looking forward to seeing this adaptation play out.

I've read the book, and I appreciate some of the decisions they're making for TV. That being said, my wife agreed with me (and she hasn't read the book) that the first episode moved really fast. I feel like we didn't get enough time to get to know Jake, and he just went head first into this time portal, adjusting to it pretty quickly. I still think it's all well done and I'm definitely going to finish it, but that was my major gripe with the pilot.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Echoing the clothespin, it's a very King thing to do. I don't remember what exactly the weird poo poo was in the book, but I do remember Sadie mentioning he made her wash her hands after sex (or something) with water so hot it burned her.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Tiggum posted:

That was so weird and confusing. I thought at first she was going to say that he was gay, but instead it's this stuff about the clothes-pin, and I thought I'd misheard, but then it comes up later and I had to Google it to figure out what the gently caress they were talking about.

Same here. I thought he actually had no sexual organs or something, and just used the clothes-pin as a substitute dick.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."

Kingtheninja posted:

Echoing the clothespin, it's a very King thing to do. I don't remember what exactly the weird poo poo was in the book, but I do remember Sadie mentioning he made her wash her hands after sex (or something) with water so hot it burned her.

Book spoilers
in the book, they never actually had sex, he would just make her give him a hand job under the sheets. He also put a broomstick between them when they'd sleep, and maybe smacked her around with it as well? I honestly kind of skimmed that part on reread because, yikes! But yeah, he would make her wash in scalding hot water and talked about how dirty she was, etc. I think he even would tell her it was time to "get it out" when sad hand job would happen.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Same here. I thought he actually had no sexual organs or something, and just used the clothes-pin as a substitute dick.

This is exactly what I thought she was alluding to. I'm still not sure it isn't.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Book spoilers re: clothespin

Actually, this is one of the more clever things the showrunners have done. I'm impressed. In the book, Sadie keeps alluding to "the broom" that her husband "used" in bed and how it was a deeply unsettling issue for her. Obviously we're meant to assume he struck her or forcefully penetrated her with it, but the truth is much more tame. He simply placed it between them while they slept because he felt sex to be unclean. They actually had a quite uneventful sex life, with, as mentioned above, just handjobs under the covers with vigorous cleaning before and after. A great bait-and-switch from King, and the producers appear to be paying an homage here. You hear "clothespin" and your mind, warped by a perverse society, begins to assume clitoral punishment, or freaky penis poo poo, but it's likely something as tame as him pinning the covers down during handjobs or some poo poo.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Well, that episode was super dull. And if the CIA is behind JFK's assassination, what do you think you can do about it? Even if you foil one attempt, why wouldn't they just try again? But that issue aside, mostly I'm just bored now. This story doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Is the past still pushing back at him? It doesn't seem to be. Is he making any real progress on saving JFK? He doesn't seem to be. It seems like he's half way between two stories and not really committed to either. One is the JFK thing, the other is him living this life in the '60s, and each of them is getting in the way of the other so neither of them really go anywhere.

In a way though, that's the story. If it was just a thought exercise in "how would you/or would you even save JFK", then the Macguffin would be he could choose when to go back, or he'd show up in October '63. The fact that he has to slowly live through 3 years means like any of us, he'll get roped in to living a life and being "off mission" after awhile, which makes for a more interesting story.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Astroman posted:

In a way though, that's the story. If it was just a thought exercise in "how would you/or would you even save JFK", then the Macguffin would be he could choose when to go back, or he'd show up in October '63. The fact that he has to slowly live through 3 years means like any of us, he'll get roped in to living a life and being "off mission" after awhile, which makes for a more interesting story.

That's the problem though, it doesn't make for a more interesting story. Regardless of which aspect we're seeing, it feels like the other is getting in the way of it going anywhere. There's this weird disconnect where he seems to be "all in" on whichever side he's currently on, but then will get get pulled back into the other and his focus completely flips. It's like they couldn't figure out which story they wanted to tell.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
God drat, Franco is absolutely fantastic.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Shes aid she laughed at first. I'm pretty sure it was on his dick.

I Googled "Clothespin Penis" and of course it's a thing people do. Don't even know why I bothered wondering.

Seven years ago, or so, I was living near San Francisco and a friend asked to meet her downtown at Folsom Street. Little did I know it was a BDSM pride street event and I was still very innocent in the ways of the world. First thing I saw was a naked dude, tied up on the stage while clothespins were put on his dingus, till they ran out of skin to attach clothespins to.

I've never been surprised by anything sexual since.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The penis is a remarkably resilient thing.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Doktor Per posted:

God drat, Franco is absolutely fantastic.

Seven years ago, or so, I was living near San Francisco and a friend asked to meet her downtown at Folsom Street. Little did I know it was a BDSM pride street event and I was still very innocent in the ways of the world. First thing I saw was a naked dude, tied up on the stage while clothespins were put on his dingus, till they ran out of skin to attach clothespins to.

I've never been surprised by anything sexual since.

At first, I thought she said safety pin. Which really scarred my mental imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ravane posted:

At first, I thought she said safety pin. Which really scarred my mental imagery.

Just Google a Price Albert if you want to be extra scarred then

• Locked thread