Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Synopsis

quote:

High school teacher Jake Epping travels back in time to prevent the assassination of President John F. Kennedy - but his mission is threatened by Lee Harvey Oswald, falling in love, and the past itself, which doesn't want to be changed.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUx__qQGew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Pretty good first episode, hoping it doesn't turn into another Under the Dome.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Pretty good first episode, hoping it doesn't turn into another Under the Dome.

I hope it's a well done, limited mini-series, which is what Under the Dome should have been. Both have good concepts but stretching that premise out over multiple seasons is a bad, bad idea.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

First episode was fantastic. Never read the book, and won't until the series is over. Very much looking forward to the rest.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My wife looooved the first episode, and has never liked anything else Stephen King related.

Great, great start. I hope it doesn't fall apart, like the old adaptation of The Stand did. Great at first, but every subsequent hour worse than the last.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

egon_beeblebrox posted:

My wife looooved the first episode, and has never liked anything else Stephen King related.

Great, great start. I hope it doesn't fall apart, like the old adaptation of The Stand did. Great at first, but every subsequent hour worse than the last.

Even Shawshank, The Green Mile, or The Mist? Wow.

I really enjoyed this episode too. I was this close to getting the book, and now I want to avoid spoilers.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That was really, really good. Maybe even better than the book! I guess this means the upcoming Dark Tower adaption will be terrible, because Steven King books can only be made into a good film/show once a decade

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Loved the pilot and I'm also one of those people that just can't get into King's novels.

Why isn't Hulu releasing all the episodes all at once like Netflix?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess the only thing I can complain about is that they're doing one episode at a time. Please learn from Amazon and Netflix. Drop it all at once if it's streaming first. There's no reason not to do that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

pahuyuth posted:

The networks that own Hulu are old-fashioned that way.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
First episode was pretty cool. I do wonder why they changed where the janitor guy is from, though. I can understand not using Derry because they probably couldn't get the TV licensing for what is basically a location cameo, but moving him all the way to Kentucky seems random.

Not being one of those people who loses their mind at any deviation from the source material, I just like thinking about why they made the changes they did.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
They also changed the arrival year to 1960 from 1958. Which makes sense as it speeds up the time line a bit. I haven't read the book since it came out so I'm sure there's other stuff too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It appears the entire series has been sent out to the reviewers. Seems to be pretty well-received if not exactly a rave review.
http://www.avclub.com/review/james-franco-tries-save-jfk-flawed-worthy-stephen--231721

I don't read a lot of Stephen King but the book was really fun.

Also I don't actually care for the entire season dump that Netflix tends to do. It doesn't let shows generate as much momentum and discussion and binge watching a series always sort of changes how it feels

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed the first episode, I have high hopes for the rest. Franco's doing a great job, this seems to be a story that's pretty focused on a single main character, so that casting was very important. King's stuff is usually very character focused, so casting is always a big factor in how adaptations turn out. The Dark Tower will be dead in the water if it doesn't get three specific castings right.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'll keep watching, but I'm not entirely sold on this. The JFK conspiracy stuff seems pretty dumb, and just going back to prevent his murder seems like a bit of a waste of a time portal. But most of all the protagonist is just really unimaginative and is doing a lot of dumb stuff. Like, when he pissed off the bookie, why didn't he return to the present immediately and reset everything so he could go back and not gently caress up so badly? Why did he do so little preparation? Why, when he realised how unprepared he was, didn't he go back to the present to reset everything and do some more prep? Why did the old guy's research exist only in a single, hand-written copy? He should have typed up all that stuff on his computer and printed out multiple copies to send back with the protagonist. Why did the protagonist try to phone his own father? What was he hoping to achieve?

If it were me, and I was absolutely set on trying to save JFK, I'd go back, make some quick cash, and pay someone to put a plan into action to foil the assassination. Then you can come straight back to the present and see if it worked.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Because it's a story and if he just rests out of every conflict, it would be boring.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This was good. I haven't read the book but I'll try to once I watch the series.

I think he should have come out and gone back in after that first day though, a slightly more low-key car and bet a bit less on that first fight.

The world looks nice, good use of large outdoor areas that look right for the time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
As I'm expecting him to reset at least once, right now I figure that the old man has the all the documents scanned and on his computer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I did expect him to reset a few times right away after some amateur mistakes, but that's a minor gripe.

Seems like the way its going now is that he's going to make that one dude's life a lot better by stopping the murder, but he'll have to reset that in order to fix something else even worse. Probably not even the JFK assassination, maybe something he himself caused.

Hard to predict where King is going to go with a story, I'm actually glad now that I never read the book. King wouldn't necessarily be afraid to have him actually stop the JFK assassination, and return to a completely alternate reality.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Having read the book, I'm going to stay far away from discussing anything that happens later on in the series even in speculation because I don't want to spoil it. That said, the book was excellent and I'm waffling between watching the episodes as they come out or waiting for the whole season and binge-watching it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

blue squares posted:

Because it's a story and if he just rests out of every conflict, it would be boring.
Also because he literally has to live all those days. So like he'd have to go back and live through however many days and weeks all over again if he has to reset, and he gets older too each time. I believe the series has him going back to a time a little closer to the assassination date but in the book it's even more like if he goes back he just wasted a lot of time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

Also because he literally has to live all those days. So like he'd have to go back and live through however many days and weeks all over again if he has to reset, and he gets older too each time. I believe the series has him going back to a time a little closer to the assassination date but in the book it's even more like if he goes back he just wasted a lot of time.

True, he's probably no looking to spend a decade+ of his life doing this. Three years is the minimum, and if he were to fail at preventing the assassination and have to reset that's six years. It adds up pretty quick.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Without spoiling anything, the producers are taking a lot of liberties and changing a lot of stuff about the story. Some changes are better for TV, and some are making me roll my eyes out of my sockets. Anyone interested in the central idea would be doing themselves a service to read the book. It's a good, surprisingly tight story for a time travel plot. I struggled to get through this first episode, and it took me four sittings. Some things I just can't imagine why they changed, and with no explanation so far, they feel like big plot holes. I'm going to keep trying with this, but my expectations are low.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Stop comparing it to a book and getting upset about changes. Instead ignore the book and allow it to be it's own thing

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
You know, I actually had that epiphany about a quarter of the way into the video, I said to myself, "Look, let's just try and disassociate from the book, and enjoy this as a unique and separate piece of media", and I still found several issues that took me out of it. Some were small, "Well that's stupid that he did that", things, and some were more glaring plot holes.

Look, I'm not interested in being THAT GUY in this thread, so I'm going to just lurk and avoid posting. I didn't want to turn this into a book versus movie thing, simply wanted to point out to anybody sharing my sentiments about the plot here on the show, if they haven't checked out the book, let's just say there are a lot more reasonable explanations and a tighter story to be found, if this general outline seems to be interesting to you.

Have fun, boys, King told an amazing story here and I'm looking forward to seeing this adaptation play out.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Really enjoyed this, didn't expect to be so pulled in. Whoever is doing the cinematography is killing it – it feels far better produced than most shows on TV, and the narration from Al Templeton reminds me of Shawshank so much.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

How accurate is this? Obviously there were no interfering time travelers (or WERE there?!) and whatever conclusions the show comes to about who actually shot Kennedy will at least be somewhat supposition, but were people like the general who had the assassination attempt on them or the Russian dude Franco was tailing really exist?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Comrade Fakename posted:

How accurate is this? Obviously there were no interfering time travelers (or WERE there?!) and whatever conclusions the show comes to about who actually shot Kennedy will at least be somewhat supposition, but were people like the general who had the assassination attempt on them or the Russian dude Franco was tailing really exist?

Not sure about the general, but the Russian was definitely a real person with ties to Oswald as I remembered the name from something I'd seen over the years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

blue squares posted:

A: No it wouldn't. The way the time travel resets everything each time makes it an interesting choice of when to reset, because anything you achieved the first time gets undone, and if you gently caress up after living in the past for two years you probably don't want to lose those two years of effort.

B: Saying "It has to be that way for the story to work" is just admitting that it's badly written. There should be a reason within the story for how the characters behave.

Fast Luck posted:

Also because he literally has to live all those days. So like he'd have to go back and live through however many days and weeks all over again if he has to reset, and he gets older too each time.
No one was suggesting he should stay in the past three years and then reset it and try again, but he definitely should have reset it after that first day because he really hosed up and it had only been a day.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The general was a real person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Walker

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If we're talking "stuff the characters are too stupid to do" then we can include the entire investigation because all they have to do is shoot Oswald in 1960 and then go back to Maine and see if he acted alone or not

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I read the book and was so pumped when I heard it was getting a miniseries. So far I like what they're doing with it but I would be in for the whole thing either way.

There's an epilogue in the book where King describes his exhaustive research and how after everything he read he's convinced there was no conspiracy and Oswald acted alone. . I'm not an expert on the subject so I wouldn't know, but he said that staying factually accurate was a top priority - unlike Oliver Stone. A Good Thing, imho.

My biggest beef with the book was the Al character and the time portal existing in a diner. It felt really hacky and generic. Even "Al" is a generic name. Why were a high school teacher and diner chef friends? Though I get that Al's necessary to leave Our Hero a trail of breadcrumbs (and I think Jake is more interesting since he's reluctant). I was a little surprised that they didn't change that. The book's storyline was compelling and fast paced enough that once it got going I didn't care and burned through the rest of it in a weekend. So I guess my advice there for new people that didn't read the book is to hang in.

I also thought they'd cut the "save the janitor" test run, but it looks like we're going to get that.. albeit for a slightly different reason.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

blue squares posted:

If we're talking "stuff the characters are too stupid to do" then we can include the entire investigation because all they have to do is shoot Oswald in 1960 and then go back to Maine and see if he acted alone or not

Oswald is in Russia in 1960. He doesn't arrive in the U.S. for a couple of years. This is assuming it's so easy to "just shoot a guy" and make it back to a time portal across the country, even if LHO were in Texas already.

I'm telling you, man, King researched the subject of the assassination for like a decade making the book. It's very well thought out and without getting too conspiracy nut it explores a few interesting things about the whole affair, while telling a brilliant story. The creators of this show got some sort of outline and they're just doing their own thing from minute one. Not that that's inherently a bad thing, and once again, I'm watching this all the way through. It's very entertaining in it's own way. I really like Franco in this role. But the nitpicks raised in this thread (not by me) are already hitting some of the weaker points in the story. Not too impressive for a first episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I haven't read the book but I really loved the first episode. I can't wait to see more of it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

pahuyuth posted:

Loved the pilot and I'm also one of those people that just can't get into King's novels.

My guess would be to keep people talking about it and anticipating episodes for the next 2 months, instead of having people talk about it for a week or two and then forget about it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tiggum posted:

No one was suggesting he should stay in the past three years and then reset it and try again, but he definitely should have reset it after that first day because he really hosed up and it had only been a day.
He did get away safely with $3500.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Advice posted:

Oswald is in Russia in 1960. He doesn't arrive in the U.S. for a couple of years. This is assuming it's so easy to "just shoot a guy" and make it back to a time portal across the country, even if LHO were in Texas already.

I'm telling you, man, King researched the subject of the assassination for like a decade making the book. It's very well thought out and without getting too conspiracy nut it explores a few interesting things about the whole affair, while telling a brilliant story. The creators of this show got some sort of outline and they're just doing their own thing from minute one. Not that that's inherently a bad thing, and once again, I'm watching this all the way through. It's very entertaining in it's own way. I really like Franco in this role. But the nitpicks raised in this thread (not by me) are already hitting some of the weaker points in the story. Not too impressive for a first episode.

It's a good thing this is an adaption of a book or else we'd miss out on a whole lot of posts like this!!!!

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

losonti tokash posted:

First episode was pretty cool. I do wonder why they changed where the janitor guy is from, though. I can understand not using Derry because they probably couldn't get the TV licensing for what is basically a location cameo, but moving him all the way to Kentucky seems random.

Not being one of those people who loses their mind at any deviation from the source material, I just like thinking about why they made the changes they did.

I thought about this when watching it, but honestly The whole Derry thing was like a gift to King's fans, and the town doesn't make sense as this ominous place that is still reeling from something terrible if you aren't in on it. So rather than alienate people who aren't avid readers with a weird haunted town , they just drop all that subtext altogether. Plus it will speed up the amount of time it takes them to go through that whole plotline. And since he decides to hit it up on his way back fleeing from Dallas to Maine, Derry would not have worked since it's fictional setting is up near Bangor, which is 1.5 hours north on 95 of Lisbon Falls.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why did he throw his phone away? Whenever he goes back to the future, won't he need a phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

blue squares posted:

Aside from the whole "Oswald is in Russia in 1960" thing, there's also the whole "the past pushes back" thing that makes attempting to change things really dangerous in the first place. Jake might get only one shot at killing Oswald, and the past might kill him in the attempt, so he would probably want to be sure he's doing the right thing.

• Locked thread