Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Awesome thread Rick, during Kobe's farewell tour I legit think this is what I'll miss the most when he's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

NO already spent a ton of money on Asik, so Dwight doesn't make much sense.

Toronto might be interested in Horford, but that's a risky trade when he's a unrestricted FA this summer.

Unless Horford hates Toronto, that team would be a great fit for him. I think the risk there is pretty small.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tumor looking batty posted:

Why would they want Horford? They already have Valanciunas who is arguably better than Horford. They need a PF more than anything

Horford can absolutely play PF and might be better in that position..

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't think Rubio is untouchable, but holy poo poo does he make the Wolves so much better. Having him and Wiggins will be tough unless Wiggin's shot starts falling (his form is pretty good, so I have some hope), but I don't think the Wolves are going to be itching to dump him.

Rubio's shot is busted, but his PER is flirting with 20 and by RPM he is the 5th best PG in the league (somewhat inflated by how incomplete the Wolves are otherwise). For a guy making 12 million a year and only 25 he is a very, very nice asset.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

But Vlade has to find one of those and not another John Salmons or Marco Belinelli

Belly Nelly was a really solid pickup at the time. I know he's turned to dust, but I thought the Kings had a coup at the time grabbing him for essentially MLE pricing.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't see the point in trading Rubio, unless they seek to tank. A smart pg is good for big development. He seems like a good guy, he's spent his winters in the snow and ice, why trade him, unless he wants to be traded?

They won't unless they get a really good offer. People watch him and think he'd be really fun on their team, look at his lovely (counting) stats, and imagine that Minnesota must be dying to get rid of him, let's fire up the trade machine and Minnesota will be glad to dump him for lovely contracts just so they can talk to the Knicks.

Rubio seems pretty happy in Minnesota and the contract extension from a couple years ago went pretty smoothly so I think they see eye to eye. He's around a lot in the offseason and him and KG seem to get along really well.

I think Martin is probably 50/50 being traded, but if he does it'll just be a rent-a-player move and I don't think he's going to net anything resembling an asset.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Looking over McLemore I was pretty surprised to find out he was an efficient scorer. Also I was more surprised to find out DMC was not.

I bet if McLemore goes to a team that actually lets him shoot more he will look good.

Usage. DMC is a beast and can carry an offense single-handily. His efficiency is low, but that's largely because he is the best option by a mile on the floor. He has the 2nd highest RPM among centers, his offensive game is very strong.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Marco was really good coming off curls at the free throw line in NOLA. They also got him open for a lot of wing and top-of-the-key 3s which he made at a healthy rate. Ran a ton of screens for him, too, iirc.

For some reason, he seemed to shoot better while in motion.

I always thought Marco was at his best when you can use his ball-handling and passing as a threat to get him open looks. Get him coming off curls, but keep some motion off-ball so he can punish teams that try and and force him off his spot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He is taking about half as many corner 3s now than he was before, so you may be on to something on coaching.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick: something to add to the OP:

Feb. 18 -- Trade deadline, 3 p.m. ET

:wtc:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RIP fun Bulls team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

If the Hawks would just find a center that doesn't suck poo poo so they could finally move Horford over they'd be in business.

But they're never landing Dwight unless the Rockets really want Teague.

Millsap is their best player and is basically a perfect fit at 4. Are you suggesting benching him?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mirotic + Noah + First gets you loving Rudy Gay now? 2 years ago Noah + Mirotic's rights would be a trade for Melo or Dwight. gently caress this crashed fast, if we promised to sack the entire FO would Thibs think about coming back to Chicago?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

^^ Bird rights on Noah still have value depending on how you think he'll heal/if he's cooked.

morestuff posted:

That Carlos dude has floated like 20 different rumors over the past few days, including stuff about Durant and Melo, so…

Yeah good call, I shouldn't get too vested in rumors right now, but the problem is I saw that tweet and actually thought about it for a second.

In other news, this works.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=j9xu5g6

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

I want the Clippers to pick Lance up off waivers of you can do that 😕🙁

No re-acquiring until next season.

edit: I love that I am beat by other CBA nerds

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He'd fit on the Twolves, but as probably a bench/platoon starter with Dieng. Not worth 15+

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yeah, I'm completely baffled as to why they're potentially blowing it up. They're not playing as well as last year, but they still have a decent shot at a deep playoff run and the Finals.

They're well coached by Buds, can score and play defense, have depth and a good mix of youth and veterans, Milsap and Horford are both in their primes and top 20/30 players in the league, the Cavs are still the Cavs and Boston/Toronto will come back to earth at some point.

Toronto is a good team, they are not over achieving. Hell, Boston is good, though I think they will look less good in the playoffs.

Atlanta is probably back to being a 48 win team, but I do agree. Blowing it up now seems silly. I think they are thinking if they move Teague and Horford for young assets, they will be back to a 50 win team in a year or two.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

WorstBest trade ever

I hope this happens. Replace Mo with Mike Miller's trade exception. Why doesn't the trade machine let you plug those in?

You can't use trade exceptions to "add" to a trade. It has to be a trade exception by itself on one side. So you can't use a 6 mil contract and 6 mil exception to match a 12 mil contract.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Considering Miami was one of Pau's considerations before going to Chicago, a Pau-Whiteside swap might be interesting if Houston won't bite on Whiteside.

Whiteside would be terrible on the Bulls and if they want him they could just try to sign him in the offseason anyway. Pau isn't a salary-dump guy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

Lmaooooo. Ryan Anderson for Kevin Love, who says no?

Would you like to trade Kevin Love for this guy who does basically the same exact thing but worse in every way. We expect their contracts to be the same.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Desperation bid for contraction?

Why is this bad? Their plan was to collect assets and not take on salary so they can get assets for bad contracts. They should change now because....they are as bad as everyone thought they'd be?

Young teams should take on bad contracts to get picks rather than overpay veterans. I thought this was one of those no-duh things?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ryan Anderson is actually really bad at defense. His RPM on D has been right around worst in the league for PF the last couple seasons. I don't know if he really is the worst in the league, but he is pretty bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

attackmole posted:

I don't think Anderson would be a good fit on the Raptors. I guess that contradicts me earlier begging for a stretch four, but he's way too lovely a defender for the Casey System (tm). I also don't think he'd be worth resigning at the rumoured salary he's looking for next year.

I mean maybe it would would work? Scola sucks at defense too but he's easier to hide given that he's usually 20 minutes a night tops. Anderson's stretch four-ness is awesome, but his defense is a huge red flag for the way the Raptors play.

Scola used to be my guy for "sneaky hustle defender" but that was a while ago.

Scola is pretty neutral defensively (which usually isn't what you want from a 4/5 like him though). I think how NOH uses Anderson is ideal, bring him off the bench and pair him with good paint protectors.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Then again Sam Amick is saying that it's the Bulls who are turning down the Kings deal. Gar Forman vs Vlade Divac is quite the battle of bad GMs.

Having Pau take a paycut to come to Chicago then trading him would be the bad GM move. Chicago should be turning down this trade, even if it makes their team better. You'd be burning FA bridges for years just to get a moderately positive trade done.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

lol if you think the Bulls already haven't burned all FA bridges.

They were willing to bus toss their homegrown in Butler or in Rose's case hometown talent because they dared question the coach or front office, or didn't come back from injury on the team's timeline. This front office said Dunleavy would be out for like 6 weeks or so. He didn't come back til right before the All-Star break.

Players' talk and the Bulls are not a front office that players around the league talk positively about.

Bulls get Free Agent attention every year, what are you smoking? Don't confuse stupid rumors with reality. Bulls are not trading Butler, nor have they done anything to disrespect him or whatever. They want to give Pau a fat extension, that will sit well with players (and agents) who see Chicago as a place to get exposure.

I'll give you the same advice I give every Bulls fan. STOP READING CHICAGO SPORTS JOURNALISM. It seriously is the worst, don't buy into the stupid narratives they put on everything. A FO that misses a players injury timetable isn't a malicious, evil act. Nearly every FO is optimistic about injury returns.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Uh, if you can trade a mediocre player expiring and a third year player performing super poorly after an injury for a probable lotto pick you do 100% of the time unless you are contending and need those dudes.

I doubt Pistons end up in the Lotto, especially if the pick isn't this years. It'll still be a nice mid-rounder though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm not super surprised Orlando is giving up Fry, I don't think he has much value for them, but I am surprised Cleveland's deal was the best one.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Portland better be getting a pick for taking on that contract because holy smokes is varejao bad this year and he is owed $10m next two years.

The 2nd year is unguaranteed and even next year is only partially (BBR says for 9 mil though)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Holy crap, getting an all-star to come to your team on a discount should not be followed by dumping him for Kosta Koufus and a protected first.

Stop being bad posters bulls fans.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/1336459/reluctant-bulls-muster-trade-send-kirk-hinrich-atlanta-luxury-tax-relief

Joe Cowley.

gently caress this team. Oh we can't do a trade that makes our team better going forward or puts us in a better position because it would make us look bad....Now I'm angry again

Koufus and McLemore and a protected first probably wasn't going to make then any better either going forward. There is nothing to get mass about.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Am I missing something as to why people are pissed off Pau Gasol is still playing for the bulls

Bulls fans. They are mad when Thibs plays Heinrich, they get mad when he is traded for a second round pick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Apparently the Bucks kept calling to try to get Rubio and Milt just asked if they were ready to give up Middleton every time. I'm not sure what they were expecting after the first couple tries.

I'd be sad but TWolves would win that trade. Middleton is getting a Max this off season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Middleton signed a deal last offseason. Was below the max too I believe. Not sure how they pulled that off.

poo poo your right. I thought he was entering RFA this coming year. Front loaded contract too. Whelp, way to go Milwaukee.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure I agree with that. It would give the Wolves someone who can shoot the three but leave them with nobody to get the ball to him. It also means you're probably going back to investing in Zach at PG and I am Not A Fan of that.

Niwrad posted:

I would take Middleton over Rubio in a heartbeat. They can go and draft a PG with their top 5 pick next year or trade for someone like Jeff Teague to fill the role. Then again I'm not a huge Rubio fan.

Basically this. I am a huge Rubio fan but you can get a guy who can fill in his role at 70% (and be a better shooter) way easier than you can find a guy who can play the 2 and 3, shoot really well, and has the tools to be a decent defender. I don't think you ever start Lavine at the 1, but you can find someone.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

What do you do with LaVine then? Because if you're starting Middleton/Wiggins at the 2/3, with Shabazz coming off the bench for 25 mpg, and not playing LaVine as a point (which you shouldn't) then you just took away all his minutes.

I'd actually like to see Shabazz play a little small-ball 4 with Dieng or KAT at the 5 for some of his minutes, LaVine being a 1 or 2 off the bench (I don't mind LaVine running point for the bench and just embracing being a gunner). You spot Martin in where you can to round out the Wing rotation. It's not really crowded at the Wing, you just have guys who can play multiple positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

The problem with LaVine at point is that he hasn't really shown any capability of running an offense. If the wolves aren't playing iso-ball (which is awful) then it's just a bogged down mess. That's a problem, even for the second unit.

Yeah, but your 2nd unit is pretty bare. LaVine can shoot off the dribble and gently caress around on the perimeter a fair bit, while Shabazz can do his garbage-man bit, or Dieng and try to get his ugly offense to work. Or Bjelica can be terrible.

LaVine looks bad when he takes shots away from better players, but when he's steering a pretty messy bench unit he's pretty good. I've also liked him playing the 2 in the starting unit, but I feel like you can find an upgrade on the starting wing that will be a better fit.

• Locked thread