Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hassan Whiteside the selfish giant was discussed in a 1 for 1 swap for Dwight Howard. His contract means that the acquiring team has no real reason to acquire him, unless the trade removes roster pieces they didn't want anyway. Chris Bosh's blood clots make this less of a possibility.

Taj Gibson There have been discussions of a 1 for 1 Gibson for Patches Patterson swap

Evan Fournier The most likely of Orlando's wings to be moved. A creative scorer and good shooter who'd fill a need for several contenders. Orlando seems keen on Vucevic, Oladipo's value has dropped, and Tobias Harris probably won't be moved unless a superstar is sent around and there's need for massive salary to balance some scales.

Brandon Jennings The man who was the 2nd best pg in the NBA for 2 weeks is recovering from his achilles tear. His contract expires this year and his open market value is unknown. If the Pistons consider him too expensive for a backup, he could be traded in hopes of at least some return.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

attackmole posted:

Yeah I'm slightly confused as to why it appears two out of their three best players are on the market while they're a playoff team. The fanbase wouldn't probably not be happy with them being blown up, but it seems like they're kinda moving in that direction? Or are they only considering offers than send a superstar back? Who knows. Toronto sure as poo poo can't send a superstar back so maybe we're out of the running, but we have two 2016 first round picks, one of which is an unprotected lottery pick so uh that's some pretty good leverage.

As for Toronto/Horford, I'm in favour of throwing the bank at him because it gives the team the firepower for a run against Cleveland plus some added talent if we can't resign Derozan. I'd like to think that we'd be able to resign one of them. Also, 'rumour' is that Horford really likes the extra fifth year that the incumbent team can offer him. However, it's hard to imagine the team being able to pay both of them next fall so uh gently caress. If we could convince them both to take 20 mill each maybe it could happen, but even then that might go over the cap and who knows if MLSE is willing to do that.

Chris Mannix said that they aren't seriously considering trades, they're just fishing for "godfather" offers. "Godfather" is a quote.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BWV posted:

I like how everyone who has a bunch of late 1st round picks think they are valuable.

https://twitter.com/mhonkasalo/status/694408141879009280

There's about a 40% chance he's a "player" as in someone who plays in the games.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tumor looking batty posted:

how do they define star?

http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/07/25/freelance-friday-finding-value-nba-draft/ ws/48

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Something unaddressed when people say the Knicks should trade Caramelo Anthony, it's hard to be a free agent destination if you trade away the free agents who've been attracted by your status as a destination. Melo would have to say "I want to leave," even if he lacked a trade clause.

Lockback posted:

I don't think Rubio is untouchable, but holy poo poo does he make the Wolves so much better. Having him and Wiggins will be tough unless Wiggin's shot starts falling (his form is pretty good, so I have some hope), but I don't think the Wolves are going to be itching to dump him.

Rubio's shot is busted, but his PER is flirting with 20 and by RPM he is the 5th best PG in the league (somewhat inflated by how incomplete the Wolves are otherwise). For a guy making 12 million a year and only 25 he is a very, very nice asset.

I don't see the point in trading Rubio, unless they seek to tank. A smart pg is good for big development. He seems like a good guy, he's spent his winters in the snow and ice, why trade him, unless he wants to be traded?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

Hey, rumors

https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/699668737201475584

Not sure why the Magic would be interested but I guess Tobias is kind of a shithead

I was hoping for a simple Evan Fournier for those guys, and they're talking Tobias Harris? I hate Stanley Vanley Gundo, but drat he might be great at getting something for nothing in trades.

If Orlando is trading for a pg, does that mean they've lost faith in Payton? Or only Dipo?

Harris has his flaws, but as a "the pnr didn't work, here's the ball, do something" 4, I think he'd look good in Detroit.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
WHoa it's official, the trade happened

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2016/2/16/11022480/trade-tobias-harris-detroit-pistons-brandon-jennings-ersan-ilyasova

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
PJ hairston's looked pretty decent this year, he's young, I guess that's all there is to it.

attackmole posted:

Oh cool another middling point guard to enter the quagmire of Kidd's point guard rotation (unless he magically turns back into his Denver version).

All the pre Houston Ty Lawson we've seen is a really good (on offense) point guard. The long armed windmill dream died with Larry Saunders. MCW will never be an above average offensive player. Lawson/Monroe could be a strong pnr combo. I like it. It's interesting

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

But why?????

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

they're a lebron injury away from being in the finals this year imo

Would you say that almost any contract extending over the next 2+ years is an asset?

If the cap is going up by 18% and only 25% of the league will be free agents this year (second number is fake) that means those 25% will mostly be overpaid by a large margin. The cap's supposed to go from 108 to 100 in 2017-18, and so having cap room and signing players at whatever the market commands this offseason is essentially a terrible idea.

rabidsquid posted:

I like the Tobias Harris deal but where are the Pistons going to get replacement gargoyle parts now that they've dealt Ilyasova

Now that's a good question. They're going to need to draft Timothy Luwawu

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fast Luck posted:

Burke/Burks for Teague was rumored weeks ago... It obviously helps the Jazz a ton on paper, because they'd have a point guard finally.

It wouldn't really help the Hawks but clears the way for Schroder if there's some kind of battle for the PG position and it gives them another SG.

All the Burks for pg trades are interesting, but talented wings are such a precious commodity that I like they should hold out for a really sweet deal. I frankly have no sense of Jeff Teague's value. Is he the exact median NBA starter pg? Is he better?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

When did he have a good game against the Clippers?

No, this is a good Channing Frye year. He's really helped Orlando. He's anomalous in that he has been good one year and bad the next without fail for his entire career. This a good year.

From Justin W at nyloncalculus:

His rpm has been great this year, and he's part of all of Orlando's best performing 5 man units. The Clippers with Frye, Griffin, Someone, Red dick, Paul, could be great. It gives them a good non Deandre option for crunch time.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Strawberry Panda posted:

Doesn't Bud have all the front office power too?

Yes. They really need a GM, before he does more stupid poo poo

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

quote:

The Cleveland Cavaliers, among many trade discussions they're having this week, have offered veteran forward Anderson Varejao to the Orlando Magic in exchange for fellow veteran Channing Frye, according to league sources.
Would you like this utterly washed up player for the single piece that let's your team any sort of offense. Who says no

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, one thing to keep in mind is that the Rockets didn't really have anyone manning the PG position either. They acquired Lawson and gave him the starting job and 30 minutes right off the bat. He was terrible.

Granted, the Rockets offense is basically Harden pounding the ball and then getting hacked... but Lawson looked pretty bad. I feel like a change of scenery could shake things up for him but it's kind of a dice roll.

Dropping a player onto a team that plays to the opposite of his strengths, seeing him struggle, then writing him off, this is a mistakely path.

However, Utah isn't the George Karl Nuggets. It's hard to run with two centers on the floor. Lawson should look much better if he's simply allowed to be a normal pg. Hayward handles the ball a lot on the pnr. I don't think it's a great fit. But he'd probably do better on any other team, save maybe the Cavs.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
THERES NEVER GONNA BE ANOTHER TRADE
CHRISTMAS IS CANCELED
GO BACK TO YOUR JOBS

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

Huh, apparently Stokes is being traded to the Pels for a "very highly protected pick". They don't even know if he will be part of the active roster or still in the D-League.

No more Wall Street Jarnell?
Apparently it's a cap move for Miami

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Rockets are all the way loving in on either Timothy Luwawu or Furkan Korkmaz. Write that down

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm stunned. Van Gundy and Bower got all the bad trades out of their system and now they're just stealing quality players. How did they do it.

This draft really sucks. There are a few boom bust prospects in the late lottery and then at the end of the first round. The rockets must not like D Mo.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe Houston has inside information and knows that Motiejunas will never heal from his back injury

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Why is Orlando giving up Frye for nothing

chunkles posted:

Hmm I didn't realize Detroit isn't in the playoffs right now. Guess I'm a hornets fan for the rest of the season

They lost a string of games when Kentavious Caldwell Pope got hurt, he's back after the all-star break. I would be vury surprised if they didn't finish as the 6th or 7th seed.

There are potential 'players' around 18 in the draft and later. Metrics might really like Wade Baldwin and Gary Payton the 5th. People are talking about Hernangomez looking really good. But I think Timothy Luwawu is everybody's dream. But they're all dice rolls.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
DMo's spinal surgery was the removal of a little piece of tissue to decompress one of his lower vertebrae, a relatively minor procedure as back surgery goes. Typical white man with bad bio mechanics getting spinal issues. If Van Gundy hadn't fired our good trainers I'd be confident in his recovery.

The pistons could use Thornton at the moment

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

i would, personally, rather have Lance than Frye because he's the best.

Channing Frye is very overrated.

Frye is a player who produces good outcomes when he is on the basketball floor

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

he's one of the worst defensive players in the league

As a situational stretch big, his defense isn't really a problem. This is a good Frye year, so he'll be good. He won't be as good next year, but he'll be good. The price was 0, it's hard to argue with the deal.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Foye gives a OKC a combo guard who used to be able to shoot and defend. I've barely watched Denver outside of Jokic play by play clips on nba.com, so who knows if he still can. It means they have a backup, with size, who isn't a rookie, for the playoffs. He played pretty well against Golden State in Denver's win against them. He's a Steph Curry stopper, like James Posey or Deshawn Stevenson for Kobe.

I agree that he's an upgrade over Varejao. His defense is bad enough to be a problem whenever he's on the court though. Been watching Orlando a ton this season. He's by far their worst forward/big and this is team that's been playing Vucevic, Harris, Jason Smith, etc...unless he's getting a ton of open looks it's hard to keep him out there. Will be interesting to see how Cavs use him.
Fair enough. But Vucevic is really good. Jason Smith is an elite mid range shooter. Everyone laughed, but he's elite. He's like Lamarcus Aldridge if Lamarcus didn't do anything but shoot jumpers.

This gives the Cavs some lineup flexibility. When Love wasn't playing they didn't really have another stretch big.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 18, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

nothing from boston :/

Boston is going to take every single one of their first round picks

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Steve Novak died a really quick NBA death, not as quick as Jason Kapono, but pretty quick. That category of shooter has almost no value, anymore.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

im going to kill myself if ainge trades the nets pick for dwight howard

They said they're not trading it for anything

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
There's a 50% chance that the Nets pick will be 4th overall. Not great, unless you're a huge Kris Dunn fan or think you can fix Jaylen Brown's jumpshot

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

who knows who that 4th pick will be once the draft happens. The Tournament hasn't happened. No one is talking about potential foreign players. a 4th pick is a good pick to have regardless. Even if you only trade it to a team that falls in love with a player who would be drafted that high. and have Assets you desire.

The Deng trade right?

That's true. All I'm saying is that it's a shallow draft from 3-14. It's exciting to pick a coinflip tools or skills player, but it's still a coin flip.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/700398327125311488?lang=en

TRADE DEADLINE BABY

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
There's honestly no good reason to trade for Dwight, unless you want to unload longer term deals

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Because I was curious, from Larry Coon

100. When can't a player be traded? Can players be given "no-trade" clauses in their contracts?

A "no-trade" clause prevents the team from trading the player without the player's consent. A no-trade clause can be negotiated into a new contract1 if the player has been in the NBA for at least eight seasons, and has played for the team with which he is signing for at least four seasons2. They don't have to be the four most recent seasons -- for example, Horace Grant received a no-trade clause from Orlando when he signed with them in 2001. He had played for Orlando for the requisite four seasons, but had played for Seattle and Los Angeles in the interim. Few players actually have one of these negotiated no-trade provisions (currently only Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki and Dwyane Wade have them).

If a player with a negotiated no-trade clause consents to a trade and is traded, his no-trade clause remains in effect with his new team.

There are two additional circumstances in which a trade requires the player's consent:

When the player is playing under a one-year contract (excluding any option year) and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the season. This includes first round draft picks following their fourth (option) season, who accept their team's qualifying offer for their fifth season. When the player consents to such a trade, his Larry Bird/Early Bird rights are not traded with him, and instead becomes a Non-Bird free agent3.
For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent. The player must consent to a trade to any team, although he cannot be traded to the team that signed him to the offer sheet.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiY_iKSpWLM

Pelicans need to hire Joe Dumars, because he got...two... phones

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Doltos posted:

Poor Joe, this picture was probably taken 12 hours ago

Landline wired has better quality... :( They're pulling the copper out for recylcing at the bottom of the market... there'll never be a nice sounding call again... Joe D... we miss you baby...

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Augustin was great for Detroit, he does better the more he plays and the more he can run pure pnr. OKC just didn't suit him at all.

He can't defend a soul though. It was really predictable after Jennings lost, every team with a big or good pg meant a loss for Detroit, teams with little or bad pgs, that was a win. It was kind of nice because you knew what would happen before the game even started.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The 12th pick for Kief? A good starter on a great contract who can play in the style Washington wants to play vs a 30% chance of a bench player 20% chance at a starter, that's pretty good value

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

I meant for the Suns, considering some of the rumors we had been hearing

Oh right, yeah. No 'good young player' + a pick. Just a whatever pick. They shouldn't have burned that bridge, it's their price for deceitful dealing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

Remember that just becuase we haven't heard about a trade in the next 5 minutes, doesn;t mean it didn't happen

Things will leak out for the next hour

I've wasted a whole day of not working, refreshing for trades. I need this hour to be fruitful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Whenver you can trade a first round pick for a confirmed bad player, you do it. Jeff Green is a living wing, which might be good for the Clippers? What does nickrowefiles think, what does straight up brolic think?

• Locked thread