Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

cooking is an imprecise science, more of an art. getting everything you need in a kit with explicit instructions is way more consumable for some types of personalities

i learned to cook by winging it, and when something i made was horrible i didn't do that thing again. this is a problem because the kind of food i like to cook for myself is uhhhhh not the kind of food other people like. also pickle brine is a great vinegar substitute

Pretty much. My mom is a huge cook, and she taught me to cook by basically saying 'here's a nice easy recipe, the fridge has the stuff for it and more, see what happens, don't cut a finger off'. You try something, eat it, go 'oh poo poo cinnamon in scrambled eggs is a bad idea what have I done' and then you don't put cinnamon in scrambled eggs again, idiot.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and most of them have some kinda Blue Apron style thing they advertise, and they always have this completely alien thing where a group of middle class functional adults who have a good bit of free time explain how before Blue Apron they had no idea you could just MAKE miso soup at home.

It really bums me out that you have these Mike Rowe types being all 'we need to teach how to fill taxes out' and poo poo but hardly anyone is saying 'hey remember when we taught kids how to cook and do laundry and poo poo? Can we do that again, but instead of making it a hosed up 'girls take home-ec boys take shop' thing just make it a thing for everyone so people can function as adults?' Cooking is one of the most satisfying hobbies you can take up, it just feels loving good to go from 'what the gently caress do I do with this pile of stuff' to 'I just made food that I used to go pay twice as much for at a restaurant or something'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i wouldnt even call cooking a hobby unless you're making fancyish gourmetlike things. when i bang food together to feed myself it's usually a combination of boiled grains and sauteed vegetables and that's good enough for most folks, the only thing you really need to know is seasoning. also i can bread a chicken meats and do steaks, really my signature dish is cheese tomato and spinach drowned in balsamic. a friend taught me how to do salmon rubbed with white pepper and oil, i can do that too back when i would cook just to get laid

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 20, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

cooking is an imprecise science, more of an art. getting everything you need in a kit with explicit instructions is way more consumable for some types of personalities

i learned to cook by winging it, and when something i made was horrible i didn't do that thing again. this is a problem because the kind of food i like to cook for myself is uhhhhh not the kind of food other people like. also pickle brine is a great vinegar substitute

Going to have to disagree, making really great food requires a great deal of precision.

This goes double if you start playing with things that are dangerous if done wrong, like charcuterie.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Going to have to disagree, making really great food requires a great deal of precision.

This goes double if you start playing with things that are dangerous if done wrong, like charcuterie.

Well yeah making really great stuff or absolutely incredible stuff takes effort and skill but for everyday do you want to put forth that much effort?

I eat a lot of stir fry because stir fry is delicious and difficult to gently caress up. Same with stuff like soup or haluski. It's easy to make a good soup. Haluski is fantastic and incredibly easy to make a huge pot of. Cheap, too.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If you don't know how to wing it when cooking then you'll gently caress up the precise poo poo a lot more, because you won't have any idea of why various ingredients are used.

Which is the problem. Too many people have no clue how things interact when you cook, and freak out about following recipes like they're a holy mandate.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought about doing Blue Apron since you can get a few meals for free to try it out after hearing it advertised. I can cook moderately well but being introduced to a new recipe with all the mise en place done for you for nothing sounded like a decent idea. Is it really that bad?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It really bums me out that you have these Mike Rowe types being all 'we need to teach how to fill taxes out' and poo poo but hardly anyone is saying 'hey remember when we taught kids how to cook and do laundry and poo poo? Can we do that again, but instead of making it a hosed up 'girls take home-ec boys take shop' thing just make it a thing for everyone so people can function as adults?' Cooking is one of the most satisfying hobbies you can take up, it just feels loving good to go from 'what the gently caress do I do with this pile of stuff' to 'I just made food that I used to go pay twice as much for at a restaurant or something'.

No joke, I think we need 'Adulting 101' type classes starting in Jr. High. Taxes, professional decorum, cooking, cleaning, home maintenance, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

i wouldnt even call cooking a hobby unless you're making fancyish gourmetlike things. when i bang food together to feed myself it's usually a combination of boiled grains and sauteed vegetables and that's good enough for most folks, the only thing you really need to know is seasoning. also i can bread a chicken meats and do steaks, really my signature dish is cheese tomato and spinach drowned in balsamic. a friend taught me how to do salmon rubbed with white pepper and oil, i can do that too back when i would cook just to get laid

Yeah that's my feeling as well, I like basic food so I cook basic food. Burn some meat and boil some rice or pasta. Eat it.

It's remarkably hard to make something utterly unpalatable if you're cooking basic stuff with a small amount of practice.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Jarmak posted:

It's not even gourmet food, anything involving baking can get really precise. You can do whatever on a stove top, but even making something like chocolate ship cookies from scratch is way more precise. Took me a half dozen tries to make a batch that didn't look like cow poo poo before my husband explained why you need to add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet ones to get glutens to form properly.

But more on topic, is this a thread for making fun of techbros or a thread for talking seriously about homelessness? In a more practical sense a bunch of dumb loudmouths on the internet seem like less of an issue than the climate, zoning regulations, metal healthcare access and other things that could help a lot of the poor people stuck in this situation. I'm in Massachusetts now and whoa nelly is there a homelessness problem here even though tech bros aren't really a thing here like on the west coast. Also worth noting that the homeless here are really nice and approachable for some reason and I wish I had actual ways to help them.

Don't get me wrong though, I loooooove making fun of tech bros.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Radish posted:

I thought about doing Blue Apron since you can get a few meals for free to try it out after hearing it advertised. I can cook moderately well but being introduced to a new recipe with all the mise en place done for you for nothing sounded like a decent idea. Is it really that bad?

Just YouTube Julia Childs or buy one of her books if you want more cooking know-how. Her whole dream was to spread gourmet cooking as an art throughout the states and it shows in how accessible her instructions are. She is also one of the most adorably clumsy tv personalities I've ever seen.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Radish posted:

It's not. I can cook and I like blue apron because I'm busy as poo poo and it's convenient for me to get all the ingredients delivered in the proper amounts ready to go for some nights. I also like to cook as it is a nice stress reliever. Grocery shopping is not. So if one has to go it's the shipping part.

But more than anything else: 1) the recipes are varied and interesting and when I do have time to shop I've on numerous occasions used a BA recipe as a template and done the dish from scratch and 2) getting just the right amount of a minor esoteric ingredient you'll never use beyond that dish loving owns and saves a ton of money.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
I guess to put it better and more succinct - to me it's a service that streamlines shopping, not cooking.

And I have seen people gently caress up BA dishes, someone who knows what they are doing in the kitchen and the whys and hows of the ingredients and cooking methods used will make something quite different than a retard who has to have "non-stick" explained to them.

For example, I know exactly when and why I can roll my eyes and disregard the "use a non stick pan" instructions provided by BA or change a fat or something.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
No I'm someone who doesn't understand cooking at all. You spend a bunch of time, eat it, and its gone and you have to repeat the next day. Like I spent time making a bookshelf a few years ago and it's still there. That makes sense to me. The past hours my wife spent cooking now mean nothing. When I have to subsist on my own its bagels or Dunkin Donuts chicken salad sandwiches (a solid meal you can get anywhere here). I don't always bother heating leftovers because what difference does it make. I'm jealous of my child who only eats one thing and personally think soylent is a good idea if it was actually a good idea.

But what do I know. My parents were divorced and neither could cook. Though they tried. But my memory is my mother frantically tending a flaming pan with one hand while waving a book at the smoke detector with the other on the nights we didn't have the eggo waffles or cereal that I always preferred.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

asdf32 posted:

No I'm someone who doesn't understand cooking at all. You spend a bunch of time, eat it, and its gone and you have to repeat the next day. Like I spent time making a bookshelf a few years ago and it's still there. That makes sense to me. The past hours my wife spent cooking now mean nothing. When I have to subsist on my own its bagels or Dunkin Donuts chicken salad sandwiches (a solid meal you can get anywhere here). I don't always bother heating leftovers because what difference does it make. I'm jealous of my child who only eats one thing and personally think soylent is a good idea if it was actually a good idea.

But what do I know. My parents were divorced and neither could cook. Though they tried. But my memory is my mother frantically tending a flaming pan with one hand while waving a book at the smoke detector with the other on the nights we didn't have the eggo waffles or cereal that I always preferred.

Some of us are not robots and actually enjoy eating.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

And I thought about doing WiprTM because hey, I've already wiped people's asses professionally, I might as well do it for tech millenials who are too busy to do it themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

asdf32 posted:

I'm jealous of my child who only eats one thing and personally think soylent is a good idea if it was actually a good idea.
Soylent is just Ensure for nerds and there is already a meal replacement product that actually works, if you really hate eating/value time that much.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

People are being a bit hyperbolic (on SA? Never!) and I doubt anyone really thinks they're like, EVIL or whatever, but it's just kinda a complete ripoff designed to prey on that fear some people have of cooking. Like, for a lot of people 'cooking' is this weird almost mythic ability that obviously only Real Professionals have, so Blue Apron comes in all 'hey we know you're not familiar with how to cook...well you're right you can't just go to the store and poo poo, imagine having to pick your own veggies from a display or something! Too hard! Just give us like twice the price of these ingredients and we'll mail them to you all measured out with an index card recipe that you can easily google to find fifty other versions of.' And then every couple months they justify the price by making some dumb theme 'this month we got imported lavender oil that we're giving to you for cheap to use in this cupcake recipe!'

It's not some dark evil cabal, it's just kinda a lovely, regressive, way to do things. It doesn't actually do what it says it does, it doesn't tear down that absurd wall people imagine exists between Real Cooks and pathetic plebeians. It in fact reinforces that wall. Of course YOU can't just go get cupcake ingredients, you need Blue Apron to measure the flour and tell you lavender oil can be used as a flavoring. You idiot you'd never think of that would you? The people it's targeting don't really need a random curator service for lavender oil, they need to be gold 'look man you need to learn how to cook food, not wait for your box of approved ingredients to show up and follow the card, because that's how adults function in the world.'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

And I thought about doing WiprTM because hey, I've already wiped people's asses professionally, I might as well do it for tech millenials who are too busy to do it themselves.

Honestly it just goes down to this really. We shouldn't be discouraging people from learning basic skills, and more importantly we shouldn't be telling them to pay for the privilege of being discouraged.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Tatum Girlparts posted:

People are being a bit hyperbolic (on SA? Never!) and I doubt anyone really thinks they're like, EVIL or whatever, but it's just kinda a complete ripoff designed to prey on that fear some people have of cooking. Like, for a lot of people 'cooking' is this weird almost mythic ability that obviously only Real Professionals have, so Blue Apron comes in all 'hey we know you're not familiar with how to cook...well you're right you can't just go to the store and poo poo, imagine having to pick your own veggies from a display or something! Too hard! Just give us like twice the price of these ingredients and we'll mail them to you all measured out with an index card recipe that you can easily google to find fifty other versions of.' And then every couple months they justify the price by making some dumb theme 'this month we got imported lavender oil that we're giving to you for cheap to use in this cupcake recipe!'

It's not some dark evil cabal, it's just kinda a lovely, regressive, way to do things. It doesn't actually do what it says it does, it doesn't tear down that absurd wall people imagine exists between Real Cooks and pathetic plebeians. It in fact reinforces that wall. Of course YOU can't just go get cupcake ingredients, you need Blue Apron to measure the flour and tell you lavender oil can be used as a flavoring. You idiot you'd never think of that would you? The people it's targeting don't really need a random curator service for lavender oil, they need to be gold 'look man you need to learn how to cook food, not wait for your box of approved ingredients to show up and follow the card, because that's how adults function in the world.'

This is dumb and hyperbolic

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well yeah making really great stuff or absolutely incredible stuff takes effort and skill but for everyday do you want to put forth that much effort?

I eat a lot of stir fry because stir fry is delicious and difficult to gently caress up. Same with stuff like soup or haluski. It's easy to make a good soup. Haluski is fantastic and incredibly easy to make a huge pot of. Cheap, too.

The skill scales pretty well, once you start really understanding the complex stuff it becomes relatively easy to extract the core into a basic version. Also a lot of "high effort" stuff really isn't (though some of it requires learning some skills before it becomes as such, most of it is just following directions). Most people wouldn't think making sushi is a super easy weeknight meal for example, but it is.

Also lots of things require precision because of the science involved but aren't particularly time consuming (see: making mayonnaise).

Though cooking is probably my second biggest hobby so I guess I might be having a bit of an inverse Dunning-Kruger effect going on.

KFBR392 posted:

For example, I know exactly when and why I can roll my eyes and disregard the "use a non stick pan" instructions provided by BA or change a fat or something.

The answer to this is always.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
gently caress if I'm cooking a fried egg in my allclad, I have better poo poo to so than try and get that right.

And sometimes I'd like one where all the frybubbles aren't filled with fat/oil.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

asdf32 posted:

Cooking is better than ordering out because it is less expensive, produces better tasting food at a lower cost, is healthier and is invaluable whenever you have guests over.

The reason you don't get cooking is that you value your time more than the benefits of cooking. That's fine, but it's super subjective. It also is worth noting that people who don't know much about cooking have a very, very distorted view of how much time is involved. For example, Shepard's pie looks like an intimidating recipe at first since it requires yout to cook veggies, beef and mashed potatoes separately, combine them, and then cook it again, but it takes maybe 15 minutes of active cooking time once you know how to do it and is a really easy recipe overall.

Either way, you're very lucky to have a wife that enjoys cooking. If you haven't taken the time to pick up on how she does it I really recommend doing so. There's no better way to learn than through having someone tech you directly. It sucks you didn't have the chance when you were younger, but it is totally worth looking at.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jarmak posted:

Unless youre trying to prepare sous vide quail eggs with a side of savoury cardamom souffle and a cream of marmoset tears sauce reduction thickened with sodium alginate suspended in seal aspic you dont have to be precise. At all.
If you want to be fancy you can call it 'rustic cooking'.

My favourite food is an artichoke and olive chicken tagine and all that requires of me either having various common spices on hand or when I want it to taste real good is some fresh Ras El Hanout. The rest is a doddle.

But seriously I always find it surprising when adults dont have basic rear end skills like slicing up an onion or doing their own washing, and Im a massive rear end nerd shut in.
Is it a case of them taking all these skills for granted? Never bothering to learn them?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 20, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Cooking is better than ordering out because it is less expensive, produces better tasting food at a lower cost, is healthier and is invaluable whenever you have guests over.

The reason you don't get cooking is that you value your time more than the benefits of cooking. That's fine, but it's super subjective. It also is worth noting that people who don't know much about cooking have a very, very distorted view of how much time is involved. For example, Shepard's pie looks like an intimidating recipe at first since it requires yout to cook veggies, beef and mashed potatoes separately, combine them, and then cook it again, but it takes maybe 15 minutes of active cooking time once you know how to do it and is a really easy recipe overall.

Either way, you're very lucky to have a wife that enjoys cooking. If you haven't taken the time to pick up on how she does it I really recommend doing so. There's no better way to learn than through having someone tech you directly. It sucks you didn't have the chance when you were younger, but it is totally worth looking at.

Even if you value your time highly, cooking can be relaxing. There's nothing better than putting on some good music, opening a bottle of wine, and spending some good time in the kitchen making a wicked meal.

The other trick is to divide recipes into stages. Make sure you have all your mise en place ready before beginning the actual cooking part and everything becomes easy as gently caress.

Maybe if real life had an achievements system, cooking would be more popular... +50 points, you made homemade ravioli on Hard Mode (no pasta machine).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

Even if you value your time highly, cooking can be relaxing. There's nothing better than putting on some good music, opening a bottle of wine, and spending some good time in the kitchen making a wicked meal.

The other trick is to divide recipes into stages. Make sure you have all your mise en place ready before beginning the actual cooking part and everything becomes easy as gently caress.

Maybe if real life had an achievements system, cooking would be more popular... +50 points, you made homemade ravioli on Hard Mode (no pasta machine).

gently caress that poo poo I'm never gonna get platinum

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PT6A posted:

Had tepid instant ramen for the third night in a row.
(When you could have has anything else.)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

McDowell posted:

This sounds like a person who should experience ego death.

They try to do that at Burning Man every year, it doesn't stick.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Unless youre trying to prepare sous vide quail eggs with a side of savoury cardamom souffle and a cream of marmoset tears sauce reduction thickened with sodium alginate suspended in seal aspic you dont have to be precise. At all.
If you want to be fancy you can call it 'rustic cooking'.

My favourite food is an artichoke and olive chicken tagine and all that requires of me either having various common spices on hand or when I want it to taste real good is some fresh Ras El Hanout. The rest is a doddle.

But seriously I always find it surprising when adults dont have basic rear end skills like slicing up an onion or doing their own washing, and Im a massive rear end nerd shut in.
Is it a case of them taking all these skills for granted? Never bothering to learn them?

You say that but unless you're braising or stewing precisely cooking your proteins (especially chicken ) to the right temperature makes a massive difference in the quality of the food.

Your example doesn't really sound like a counter example so much as a reinforcement of what I was trying to say.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So what do people who don't find cooking relaxing do? Are they just SOL? It's a big assumption to be making that everyone enjoys or would enjoy cooking.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

KFBR392 posted:

gently caress if I'm cooking a fried egg in my allclad, I have better poo poo to so than try and get that right.

And sometimes I'd like one where all the frybubbles aren't filled with fat/oil.

Haha eggs are pretty much the one exception that we own a non-stick for, though mostly for my wife because I like using the cast iron.

Edit: turns out that wasn't a double post

Edit 2:

PT6A posted:

Holy poo poo never again

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 20, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

one of the first things i saw when i moved to downtown atlanta was a bum laying crosswise on the sidewalk masturbating, and college students going to and from class stepping over him like he was a puddle

sounds like he's livin the fuckin dream, op

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

-Troika- posted:

What a surprise, when you declare your city a haven for the homeless, a whole bunch of them come there and set up shop.

Fun fact: 71% of homeless people in San Francisco used to have homes in San Francisco

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the gut sterilization was part of a different thing where he bet that he could go a week without making GBS threads so he shut down his intestine or something.

it was

there's a Vice (?) docu where a guy tries to live on nothing but soylent for a month, and by about week 2 he looks just absolutely loving miserable. meanwhile, soylentman looks like a lunatic talking about how great it is to not have to eat or cook because kitchens are dangerous places with fire and sharp objects

at the end of the thing, the vice dude goes out to eat with a bunch of friends and looks like he's half a step from bustin his nut over how happy he is to eat real food. soylentman goes with them and drinks his spergdrink and looks like a mutant.

it's great.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jarmak posted:

Holy poo poo never again

Yeah, I did it last night which is why it was on my mind. It was a lot of work, but not the deathmarch I expected from what some people said. I don't have space to store a pasta machine or a good place to clamp it to a work surface, so meh, I'll do it by hand like people presumably did for hundreds if not thousands of years. Later today I'm going to lift heavy things and do cardio for no actual purpose at all, so why be afraid of putting some elbow grease into cooking?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 20, 2016

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Rockopolis posted:

So what do people who don't find cooking relaxing do? Are they just SOL? It's a big assumption to be making that everyone enjoys or would enjoy cooking.

Then suck it up and do it anyways or just don't cook? Not sure what you're expecting from the rest of the world :shrug:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rockopolis posted:

it took me 18 years to not have an anxiety attack about using the stove

i still learned to cook because i enjoy not starving or eating only cold/microwavable meals

similarly, i sympathize with soylent dude not wanting to go to the store: before i got on meds, my anxiety could get so bad that going to the store was like being kicked in the balls for twenty minutes. on the other hand, i accepted that this was part of life and found ways to cope with it and get along rather than doing some weird autismal bullshit (dude is probably actually high functioning autistic btw)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jarmak posted:

You say that but unless you're braising or stewing precisely cooking your proteins (especially chicken ) to the right temperature makes a massive difference in the quality of the food.

Your example doesn't really sound like a counter example so much as a reinforcement of what I was trying to say.

Cooking meat is pretty drat easy though. Also grilling is the best way to spend your time after work.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

People have been predicting this for ten years at least. I remember once of the first instances I heard it was around the time Google bought Youtube. Do mobile devices and the internet not seem like growth sectors to you? Regardless, I think anyone with six figures in the bank is pretty well cushioned against most bubbles, although some of them may have to find different industries or less expense cities.

I'm definitely a peanut gallery layman, but it seems like reports of overvalued startups flaming out is increasing at a steady clip.

Google, Apple, et all will be fine, but with the economy looking at a probable downturn soon, I can't imagine these startups will ever become profitable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Cooking meat is pretty drat easy though. Also grilling is the best way to spend your time after work.

Yeah, you can tell when the meat is cooked to your liking by feel alone. If you're trying to cook by time alone, it will be very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I did it last night which is why it was on my mind. It was a lot of work, but not the deathmarch I expected from what some people said. I don't have space to store a pasta machine or a good place to clamp it to a work surface, so meh, I'll do it by hand like people presumably did for hundreds if not thousands of years. Later today I'm going to lift heavy things and do cardio for no actual purpose at all, so why be afraid of putting some elbow grease into cooking?

Yeah I used to do that when I lived in Italy and pretty much had to deal with a galley kitchen.

It's so much easier with a kitchen aid to do 90% of the kneading and a hand crank pasta machine.

• Locked thread