Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Fairly self-explanitory. I went straight to university after school here in the UK. Being 18 I didn't give much thought to my future and chose a lovely humanities course. I drifted through my 3-year BA and scraped by with a 2:2. Now I find myself earning about a pound over minimum wage in a customer service job :smithicide: . Without wanting to sound arrogant, I'm better than this and I'm finally starting to get ambitious.

The only thing is, starting from scratch again is really hard here in the UK unless you have rich parents. I'm willing to go abroad to get an education but that would also require getting some money together at the very least to pay for food and accomodation for three years.

I also haven't figured out what field I would like a job in but basically what I want is:

- Something that will prove my intelligence
- Something well paid (ie. something where I could reasonably expect to earn at least £30,000 a year)
- Something that is in demand around the world (especially since I'm not to hopeful about the UK economy)

I'm thinking my best bet would be engineering but I'm really not sure and I've only just started to plan.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Benny Harvey posted:

- Something that will prove my intelligence

I can't say whether going back to school is a good idea for you or not, but that's a really bad motivation to do anything. If you want more intellectual challenge that's great, but saying it like that makes you sound like an insecure kid.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I feel like I bring this up in these kinds of threads a lot, but programming fits your criteria well. You may not start at 30,000 in the UK but you'd almost certainly get over that once you're more senior, and it's definitely got global demand going for it.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

uninverted posted:

I can't say whether going back to school is a good idea for you or not, but that's a really bad motivation to do anything. If you want more intellectual challenge that's great, but saying it like that makes you sound like an insecure kid.

I guess I worded that wrong. What I meant to say was that I'm tired of doing unskilled work partly because I feel like I'm wasting my potential.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Bachelor of Commerce with a minor in Information Science (Or whatever the equivalent in the UK/Europe is). Congratulations, you're now Business Analyst making more than your programming peers and all you have to do is draw simple graphs in Visio, write policy and attend meetings. I've got a few friends who are in this role and it's very versatile in-terms of career path as you can go down either the management route or towards a higher up "Architect" type position. Entry-level is £30,000 in Australia, going up to £45 -50,000 after 5 years depending on who you work for, £60,000+ after 8-10 years experience in senior position.

Have a look on seek.com.au for job listings to get an idea.

I'm currently a Database Analyst trying to jump across into this position because the pay is way better and demand is way higher. Plus it's much easier to get contract work for like 3-6 months which is great if you plan to travel or want the flexibility. I did a double major in Computer Science & Geography, while I found the University courses interesting work-life is way different and I'd rather just make as much money as possible at work with the least amount of effort,so I can actually enjoy programming at home instead.

• Locked thread