Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmp71-ql_38

Worldwide Release Schedule
PS4, Xbox One: February 23rd, 2016
PC: March 1st, 2016

So what is Far Cry?
Far Cry is a hybrid RPG/FPS leaning more toward the FPS side of things. The setting is typically a location that is a "Far Cry" from true civilization. In Primal, the setting is the stone age, 10,000 years BC in Oros just after the end of an ice age. So naturally that means that you will not find guns in this game. Oros in the modern day would translate to the eastern European Carpathian mountains. You take on the role of Takkar, a caveman trying to find his place in the first of human civilizations.

The game's prime focus is on animal taming. Imagine a game based on the low-budget classic The Beastmaster and that's very similar to what you get in Far Cry: Primal. The game will see players taming beasts and using them as companions to completely wreak havoc on enemy tribes. This includes riding on Wooly Mammoths or sending Sabre-tooth Tigers into combat to rip enemies to shreds. Instead of guns, you will be able to craft and use stone-age style weapons, such as spears, bow & arrow, knives, daggers, clubs, etc. Obviously this appears to be somewhat of a step down from previous FC titles that had a large library of firearms available. To negate this Ubisoft has put a much larger focus on the survival and animal taming elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjTNhNrqa-8

However, the weapons crafting looks pretty good...

That is exactly what you think it is.

Pre-Order Bonus
3 Exclusive Woolly Mammoth Missions across the board, all retailers

Deluxe Edition
Deluxe Edition:
PHYSICAL GAME
PHYSICAL MAP
PHYSICAL CD SOUNDTRACK
LEGEND OF THE MAMMOTH: 3 extra missions. Drink from the shaman's cup to play as the largest animal in Oros, the almighty mammoth. Feel your power as you stomp your enemies and defend your herd from other beasts and humans.
A NEW WEAPON, THE BLOOD SHASTI CLUB: a bloodstained club of bone and teeth once wielded by Ull, the vicious leader of the Udam. This weapon is unbreakable and cannot be consumed by flame.
4 ENHANCEMENT PACKS that offers early access to rare resources and unique customization options.
THE SABRETOOTH PACK: early access to animal hides for crafting + change a selection of the sabretooth tigers in Oros to the ferocious Flame Fang Sabretooths.
THE OWL PACK: early access to resources for crafting + decorate your arms with unique Wenja tribal paint + change the appearance of your owl companion, give him the dark feathers of a raging storm cloud.
THE MAMMOTH PACK: early access to an endurance-boosting recipe + change a selection of the mammoths in Oros to the mysterious Ash Back Mammoths.
THE BOMB PACK: early access to 2 extra string bags to increase your odds of survival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx3EMbFooo4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I wanna pre-order it, but I'm kind of wary that this is just another kind of bland checklist-filled open world but with a prehistoric theme instead of a Himalayan one.

I think the FC open-world formula is one of the best around but :shrug:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I've played every far cry game. This one looks really boring. I saw a guy on twitch trying to kill a fish and it took about 5 missed spears before he finally got it. I want my machine gun back.

There's a shaman that will almost certainly drug you up, so you might get some guns there.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/far-cry-primal

Reviews are out. Is anyone getting this today? I am!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

This is basically the same formula as FC3 & 4, just without guns. It's still a lot of fun imo.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Primal Hurk owns

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Deakul posted:

The fact that this seems to condense the worst parts of the nu-Far Cry games into one long game probably isn't doing it any favors.

Very heavy on resource gathering, animal fights, lack of any gimmicks that let you get around the map more efficiently, no tower climbing(I'm a mad man that actually digs this part of ubi games), seems like a general lack of vertical movement overall, heavy focus on boring weapons that all effectively function the same with no melee combat system in place, probably doesn't feature as much exploration as past games since there aren't really any predecessors that could've left cool stuff lying about, dealing with dozens of menus to sink resources into, story gated content, redundant skills on the skill tree, running out skills to upgrade before the game's even over, and the list goes on.

This is just the impression I got from all of the gameplay videos I've seen, overall, this doesn't look like a $60 game in any shape or form. Like Far Cry 4, the most I'd drop on it is probably $20 for it and the season pass.

While I agree that it may not be a $60 game, you're pretty far off base considering you haven't actually played. Gameplay is actually really on-point & tight for being such a primitive system. As mentioned there is fast travel like any other open-world game, plus once you start riding beasts they are fast as hell. Conquering outposts is just as fun as ever, with help from the owl that basically serves as your binoculars. Binoculars that can tag enemies, drop bee bombs on their heads and swoop down to tear their faces off. You know how there were caged animals you could release occasionally at outposts in FC3 and FC4? In Primal these animals are your partner, permanently, and you can sic your beast on enemies while you make holes in their face with arrows and spears. Upclose melee combat is great too because you can just bash the poo poo out of the enemy, or you can powerup your attack to take out multiple enemies in a single swing. The spiked club :allears: The caveman-speak actually feels very appropriate and really makes it feel like 10,000 BC.

Primal is really really good if you give it a chance. Maybe grab it when it goes on sale in a few months, but don't write it off completely.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I highly disagree that this is "just" the FC4 weapon system minus guns. The gameplay in Primal is very fine-tuned to using the weapons available, and there is no chance in hell you could use just a bow & arrow in FC4 and complete the game without it being utterly maddening. The playing field is level in Primal because no one else has guns either. Try that in FC4 against enemies with guns and you'll be hosed in no time. Also I was kinda weirded out by the caveman-speak at first but it really does make the setting feel a little more authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Deakul posted:

Survivor Mode Update is out and it comes with tons of other little things including an HD texture pack!

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1431481-Far-Cry-Primal-Title-Update-3-Patch-Notes-%28Introducing-Survivor-Mode!%29

Anybody try this? How is it?

• Locked thread