Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My players

Pioneer CLD-V2400
Got this one at the university surplus sale for $15 (with remote!) This was a library model so it's ugly industrial gray but a hella solid machine

Pioneer CLD-D501
$15 at the thrift store but no remote :(
This is black and sleek and fits in with the entertainment decor
This one is hella nice because it plays both sides of the disc without you having to get up and flip the disc B)

My 'discs:

Star Trek The Movie Voyages (this is a hella cool box set with the first 7 star trek moviefilms. Only 8000 were made and they're all individually numbered. I have #5460)

Toy Story Deluxe CAV Edition
Stephen King's The Stand
The Civil War: A Film by Ken Burns
Treasure Island (Disney 1950)
Apocalypse Now
2001: A Space Odyssey
Independence Day
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi (my three star wars laserdiscs are the faces editions)
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park (CAV)
Back to the Future
Goldfinger
Alien 3
Home Alone
Spartacus
The Right Stuff
Alien
Aliens
Groundhog Day
The Time Machine
Alien
Always
Dr. No
From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Living Daylights
Licence To Kill
Goldeneye
Blade Runner
12 Angry Men
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (CAV)
The Silence of the Lambs
Enter The Dragon
The Fly (1986)
Star Trek First Contact
The Chocolate War
Weeds
Everybody Wins
Unforgiven
Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress
Aladdin (CAV)
Good Morning, Vietnam
A Clockwork Orange
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Glory
Terminator 2: Judgment Day - special edition
Escape From New York
Deliverance
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Beavis and Butthead Do America
Closely Watched Trains
Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse
Oriental Dreams
Barry Lyndon
The Rock
Once Upon a Time in the West
Once Upon a Time in America
Dire Straits: Alchemy Live
El Mariachi
Star Trek - The Alternative Factor / City on the Edge of Forever
Grolier's Knowledge Disc - The World's First Laser Videodisc Encyclopedia
How To Watch Pro Football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Raiders of the Lost Ark

backup copies are the signifier of a serious-rear end collector

tempted to post my_cassette_collection.xls

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
jfc

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Why?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Because, lasers, man.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I work at a vinyl record store and sometimes laserdiscs slip in with records when we're buying records from people and not paying enough attention and then we usually throw them away or give them to this girl who is like 19 and finds them hilarious well okay that's my story.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress
Explain plz

My parents had a Videodisc player when we were little and I always thought it was a Laserdisc player. No one ever told me the difference and I found out for myself years later thanks for reading

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Knight posted:

Explain plz

My parents had a Videodisc player when we were little and I always thought it was a Laserdisc player. No one ever told me the difference and I found out for myself years later thanks for reading

A version shown at a film festival before all the animation was complete

http://www.laserrot.com/ldreviews/us/b/1591cs.html

I'm working on a cassette collection too

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I thought ITT stood for "in this thread" :ohdear:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I can't remember which forums call topics topics and which ones call topics threads

FBIASSMAN69
Aug 15, 2006

i've only ever had one but it was always kept proudly on display

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

dreezy posted:

I thought ITT stood for "in this thread" :ohdear:

It doesn't? Did something happen?

What happened? :eek:

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

top gun

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

FBIASSMAN69 posted:

i've only ever had one but it was always kept proudly on display

:laffo:

I'm glad I didn't make the plunge into laserdisc. That poo poo was so expensive and the discs were like twice the cost of VHS.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Enjoy living in your old-timey utopian future past OP.

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I can't remember which forums call topics topics and which ones call topics threads

Wait . . . there are other forums?

To add to the topic, Laserdisc was one of the few formats I never had. I did have a couple of CED players and 30 or more discs for them. Fairly amazing technology. (But seriously. OTHER forums?)

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
that must have been every movie ever released on laserdisc

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3524BQ0Ms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCQb8MheKlg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wAax5KoSic

but.... was all this recorded on laserdisc??

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Laserdisc was expensive and impractical and kicked rear end. Isn't it still the best, most "modern" format in which you can get the original Star Wars movies?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Skeleton Ape posted:

Laserdisc was expensive and impractical and kicked rear end. Isn't it still the best, most "modern" format in which you can get the original Star Wars movies?

yes

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i got like a shitload of different versions of star wars

i got 2 definitive editions, like 7 cbs releases, that one with the slowly chasing aspect ratio etc.

i got terminator 2, jurassic park, congo, x-files eps, uh like a bunch of other poo poo

idk but the most important one is mortal kombat the animated movie. HELL YEAH!!!!!!1

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i got a pioneer CLD-V720 with a remote from a different pioneer but it still works fine for mine

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Skeleton Ape posted:

legally yeah.

you can get the theatrical ones as a special edition on one of the dvd sets but its just a laserdisc capture and watching the actual laserdiscs on a good player actually looks better (lemme see if i can find the comparisions)

edit

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 22, 2016

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Impressive collection OP. However, it really is a waste to own a laserdisc player and not have any anime titles. Please correct this oversight in the near future.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

theres a dude who figured out how to capture the raw stream from the disc and then decode it in software

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBnO-uK7XKc

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't get that. The video stream of an LD is analog (and on top of that, composite video I think) so an ADC has to be involved somewhere. I wonder if it actually produced a better image than just digitizing the output.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lasers are cool

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have Super Mario Bros and Evil Dead 2 on LD gently caress yeah

Evil Dead 2 has a red disc, it's cool

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jurassic park was the only laserdisc you needed

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
a cooler and more obscure toy would be a laser record player though i think only a few thousand were ever commercially produced

they were great because you could play records however many times you wanted without wearing them out. but they were also terrible because they were MORE affected by dust than stylus-based players because the needle would push dust out of way

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I bought a couple of Godzilla movies and Rodan years ago because the cover art was hilarious. I also got Return of the Jedi as a gift. No player, tho

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Laserdiscs are hilarious, impractical and completely badass.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

powerofrecall posted:

I don't get that. The video stream of an LD is analog (and on top of that, composite video I think) so an ADC has to be involved somewhere. I wonder if it actually produced a better image than just digitizing the output.

its capturing the raw rf signal as the laser reads it or something, capturing using analog input on a capture card

idk how it all works but here u go -> https://github.com/happycube/ld-decode

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3524BQ0Ms

but.... was all this recorded on laserdisc??

Man, I remember seeing all these things at Sears 35 years ago and thinking how futuristic those were, except how huge the discs looked. They were too much like vinyl to be futuristic, so it broke the illusion, even as a little kid.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 23, 2016

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I remember my friends showing me The Matrix on their fancy new DVD player and I was like "lmao this will never take off my dad made the right choice in laserdisc"

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I have a karaoke laserdisc that I saved from the trash.

I mostly just got it so the next time I actually come across a laserdisc player, I actually have something to play in it to see if it works or not.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

iSheep posted:

I remember my friends showing me The Matrix on their fancy new DVD player and I was like "lmao this will never take off my dad made the right choice in laserdisc"

i think the matrix was the first big release on a dual-layer DVD so people who got in early on DVDs actually couldnt play them lol

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

eSports Chaebol posted:

a cooler and more obscure toy would be a laser record player though i think only a few thousand were ever commercially produced

they were great because you could play records however many times you wanted without wearing them out. but they were also terrible because they were MORE affected by dust than stylus-based players because the needle would push dust out of way

Isn't the point of those to basically do a one-time transfer to digital, for like museums or libraries or whoever would like a nice copy of some dudes sweet banjo solo from 1863?

My parents still have my gradmothers old crank up record player deal and bing crosby records and stuff. Was a really cool toy, you can basically get it going as fast as you can crank, and many a time GI Joe or Spiderman was broken on the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
The only time I watched laser disc was in the year 2001 in my tech class.

• Locked thread