Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
hmmmmghhhmmmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Rutibex posted:

this is my plan, I will run maybe 1000 or so instances of myself at Hyperbolic Time Chamber speeds. have them read every book and learn every fact known to humanity, individually, then reintegrate all of the separate consciousness into a hyper-rutibex hive mind

pay to win jackass

besides dont i share all of this information in our shared consciousness with you
so do whatever you want my regdate is still the same...

edit: 'my'

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

IM GONNA BE A COMPUTER TRY TO STOP ME

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lmbo if you think your consciousness is an actual thing and not an illusion created by underlying processes.

The thing is, the whole idea of a digital copy of yourself is possible *because* consciousness is an illusion. We are well on the way to recreating that illusion digitally. It's actually pretty simple once you realise all the stuff about yourself that you don't understand on a microscopic level gets lumped into a black box you simply call "I". To make software self aware on the level that humans are, we just have to obscure their inner workings from themselves so that they have the same sort of black box to refer to. That layer of obfuscation is already one of the fundamentals of computer programming.

Blockade posted:

Laff at all the Luddites in this thread when a brighter more wonderful future is just starting to come into being. Rejoice! The future is now.

That's a lovely knockoff of this:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If consciousness is an illusion, what entity is being decieved? Checkmate, losers. :smuggo:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
consciousness is allusive

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

If consciousness is an illusion, what entity is being decieved? Checkmate, losers. :smuggo:

im an eliminativist on this issue. i think we should eliminate them all

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
Altered Carbon is an interesting take on stored consciousness. Go read it and see how hosed we all are if this happens.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Applewhite posted:

There is no entity being deceived, the existence of entity is the illusion.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

i'm pretty sure that i exist.

i cant prove it to you or anyone else, but then again im not sure you exist at all anyway, so i dont really care :shrug:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

monkey posted:

There is no entity being deceived, the existence of entity is the illusion.

You can't have an "illusion" unless there's something being fooled. A video camera can't be tricked by an optical illusion, it reports it faithfully and makes no interpretation of what it sees. It's a logical impossibility to trick something that does not exist.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

You can't have an "illusion" unless there's something being fooled. A video camera can't be tricked by an optical illusion, it reports it faithfully and makes no interpretation of what it sees. It's a logical impossibility to trick something that does not exist.

hi im daneil dennet im a fucken retard tha tnobody believes.

idealism forever

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
soon enough a computer will find a pattern to my lovely posts, i think silifon valley assholes call it machine learning or some poo poo, the world must suffer my poo poo posts into poopetuity, it is my will

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

cogito ergo sum

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Applewhite posted:

Consciousness isn't an illusion, it's just what having memories is. It's continuity of consciousness that's the illusion, the entities being deceived are the brain patterns scattered through spacetime that through this illusion believes, despite having no evidence and in defiance of the basic principles of physics and logic, that they are somehow attached to each other by a unique identifiable chain. It's the most systemic and retarded religion going.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

Consciousness isn't an illusion, it's just what having memories is. It's continuity of consciousness that's the illusion, the entities being deceived are the brain patterns scattered through spacetime that through this illusion believes, despite having no evidence and in defiance of the basic principles of physics and logic, that they are somehow attached to each other by a unique identifiable chain. It's the most systemic and retarded religion going.

So there is a sentient entity, and it percieves a continuity of its existence based on the memories to which it has access. Sounds like the traditional description of identity to me.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
If you uploaded your consciousness to a computer, someone could create a "hell' program and put you in it forever.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I want to live on as a computers wet fart I am so important *thtthbthbthtbhtbthbt*

The Dennis System posted:

If you uploaded your consciousness to a computer, someone could create a "hell' program and put you in it forever.

What do you think GBS is?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Toadvine posted:

The last episode of Black Mirror was one of the best episodes and it dealt in part with copies of consciousness being tortured with distorted perceptions of time. If they behaved they were relegated to doing housework forever.

It was a good episode

Copying a consciousness to do the simple jobs they were doing in that episode would be more expensive, more difficult, and a million times less reliable than just using a simple computer program. That episode made no sense.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
im gonna upload myself into a lever or inclined plane

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Do you have free will too or nah?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What kind of moron observes the modern world around them and thinks "yes! Hope this lasts forever"

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

What kind of moron observes the modern world around them and thinks "yes! Hope this lasts forever"

what a sad and strange way to look at it, I hope ur ok bud

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

I'm that moron. I'd unironically turn down heaven for reincarnation.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
hey have we had the debate how if you were 'teleported' and had a perfect c lone emerge on the other side, but your original body was obliterated, the other one is actually you?

because it's loving not.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Neurosis posted:

hey have we had the debate how if you were 'teleported' and had a perfect c lone emerge on the other side, but your original body was obliterated, the other one is actually you?

because it's loving not.

:agreed:

Q: if you were atomized, would you die?

A: yes

QED.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

People who think the self is an illusion are literally insane. It's the only thing in the world that's couldn't possibly be an illusion.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Applewhite posted:

:agreed:

Q: if you were atomized, would you die?

A: yes

QED.

yeah no poo poo. but this argument has been had MANY TIMES on these boards and many people are convinced because there's apparent continuity of consciousness between entity X and Y and we can't prove exactly what causes consciousness in entity X then it must mean X's consciousness carries on in Y. they act really smugly superior about it too and i've never loving got it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Neurosis posted:

yeah no poo poo. but this argument has been had MANY TIMES on these boards and many people are convinced because there's apparent continuity of consciousness between entity X and Y and we can't prove exactly what causes consciousness in entity X then it must mean X's consciousness carries on in Y. they act really smugly superior about it too and i've never loving got it.

if it's a clone in the sense that it's an organism with the exact same genes being built from scratch, then no, it's not you. it's a clone of you. you're no more the same person than identical twins would be.

but if, hypothetically (I say hypothetically because I can't think of how this would be remotely possible) it's a perfect recreation of you to include all of your thoughts and feelings, then it is you. there would be two yous and one of them would be dead.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

if it's a clone in the sense that it's an organism with the exact same genes being built from scratch, then no, it's not you. it's a clone of you. you're no more the same person than identical twins would be.

but if, hypothetically (I say hypothetically because I can't think of how this would be remotely possible) it's a perfect recreation of you to include all of your thoughts and feelings, then it is you. there would be two yous and one of them would be dead.

Yeah but the dead one is the only you that matters to you.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Neurosis posted:

But we know what causes consciousness in entity X: the activity of entity X's brain.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
But you're not you, you're your digital you.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Applewhite posted:

yes

The Dennis System posted:

But we know what causes consciousness in entity X: the activity of entity X's brain.

correct. but people who argue otherwise argue with the basic assumption that we know the atoms from entity Y are dispersed.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

but once the teleporter activates, that won't be the case. the dead me will never remember dying, and the living me won't ever remember not existing. so I don't see how it makes any difference. if such a device actually existed, I'd have absolutely no qualms about using it, concerns for its reliability notwithstanding.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
just like when you carry explosives in a vest into a shopping centre and blow them up you wake up in heaven. i getcha, tactical urban homo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

but once the teleporter activates, that won't be the case. the dead me will never remember dying, and the living me won't ever remember not existing. so I don't see how it makes any difference. if such a device actually existed, I'd have absolutely no qualms about using it, concerns for its reliability notwithstanding.

So essentially what you're saying is "I have no qualms about killing myself through atomization."

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Neurosis posted:

just like when you carry explosives in a vest into a shopping centre and blow them up you wake up in heaven. i getcha, tactical urban homo.

:yeah:

Applewhite posted:

So essentially what you're saying is "I have no qualms about killing myself through atomization."

as long as I get to continue living with a different set of atoms, yeah, I don't see why I should care.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

:yeah:

as long as I get to continue living with a different set of atoms, yeah, I don't see why I should care.

But don't you see, transporters don't work on your immortal soul! Clearly what will come out on the other end will be a lurching p-zombie!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Colonel Cancer posted:

But don't you see, transporters don't work on your immortal soul! Clearly what will come out on the other end will be a lurching p-zombie!

what about if the machine didn't disintegrate X's atoms but replicated them perfectly at Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i have an atom in my left hand. and an atom in my right. they are identical. is this impossible? if not, are they the same object? will they explode if i touch them together?

• Locked thread