Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Lol @ the entire concept of storing human consciousness, human consciousness can't operate in anything that isnt shaped and arranged pretty much exactly like a human brain, including the chemical components

We're an eternity away from trying to Port that to something else, but i guess you could create some sort of chinese room hell-ghost using binary computers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Thats closer to cyborg technology than any sort of "mind download" and would basically just be another type of embodiment with the exact same drawbacks as ho hum meat existence so?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

its one of the best, brah

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

its nerve wracking because i really dont want it to be poo poo, eg. it needs to not feel contrived and keep the 80s cyberpunk aesthetic intact

didnt he put some other director on the job? that movie must have like 8 years of sporadic preprod now

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

it needs to have a mad max/judge dredd like tone to it, like if they turn it into a sterile Sci Fi Bullshit thing, it wont work at all, which is what im most afraid of

all the corny poo poo like Motorball needs to be nailed 100%

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

What the heck is this?

battle angel alita

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

the brain is never at rest

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

theres an episode of tng where barclay has continuous visual information while being transported and even encounters another creature in the matter stream

subbies from subdee.. nooo!!!

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I believe identity is inferred from observation and memory. Consciousness latches on to identity because it's important in order to function, introspect and make decisions. There is no inherent identity, but if consciousness is an everchanging process, then a model of identity is part of that process. You can even remember what your past models of identity were like, making it self-verifying and self-reinforcing.

Because the processes that are responsible for your feeling of identity are so strong and redundant, and because the conscious experience itself is all-consuming and seems to fall towards a point (I, the ego), it's really easy to assume that your identity is just an inherent part of who you are, like your skull, heart, etc. But it isn't. You generate your own sense of identity all the time, and it's easy to do because memory is stored physically, as synapses, making the point of origin for identity to form extremely similar every time you wake up. And a lot of thought processes become extremely similar after childhood, because the brain figures out what works and what doesn't, so you don't need to reinvent the wheel - and thus, you don't need to reinvent your own identity either.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

GentlemanBrofro posted:

You ever just take a hit and say, "Quantum superposition" and then look down at your hands and start shaking uncontrollably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ZKdHRxZ.webm

have you guys seen this? its dna replicating or something cool. we are all accidental machines

i'll never undertsand how poo poo like this works with how chaotic thermodynamic effects are at that scale

atp synthase is cool

• Locked thread