Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

meatpotato posted:

A metal sleeve with an adjustable clamp compresses the piston's rings. With some light taps the piston slides into the bore. There is an art to this, I don't possess it.

I used to think the same as you and then I found out that the 'art' just consists of getting a ring compressor that isn't the terrible useless kind you (and I, once) used. The kind that consist of a thick steel band clamped together by a plier-like tool are much, much better and don't completely wear out after one engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

meatpotato posted:

M42s are so cheap and an objectively better motor.

You shut your filthy mouth.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The M10 was capable of making 1500hp with a few minor mods!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nubile Hillock posted:

Sup m10 buddy! Your car is totally rad, but you probably already know that. I just picked up a '78 320i that's like 1/2 way to running carbs, so I've been following a bunch of 2002 threads and builds, cos the only advice I can find for the 320 is "fix your k-jet". I'm super jealous of how little rust you've got.

I was super worried about having rotted fuel lines before I saw this thread, but I'm a little more confident now if I have to replace them.

Got a weird question for you though, where the heck do you the PCV valve to? I'm trying to see what configurations the m10 had so I can figure out where to run my valve cover vent, as there was never really a valve on the k-jet system.

I had an e12 with a k-jet m10 and suffered for a very long time trying to get it to run decent. The absolute bestest solution for you is to get a whole efi setup off an m10-equipped e30/e28. This is a good idea because you just need to swap in the e30 in-line pump and make the wiring harness play nice with the car, which is pretty simple. Second best is to go carb and keep your ignition system as is, it's a much simpler way mechanically but carbs come with their own set of pain-in-the-dick issues.

There is never a PCV valve for the m10/m30, all the ones I've seen just have a crude tube running from the cam cover straight into the intake pipe ahead of the TB. Can't speak for the carby ones but I can't imagine why they'd have a PCV either.

• Locked thread