Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sparatuvs posted:

Ukrainian forces stationed on the high ground around Sherokyne have occupied the coastal dacha suburb after a year of fighting for it. DNR forces apparently up and left one day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtVWKKNSeYY

I like how every single Ukrainian homonazi soldier in that video speaks Russian.

Can anyone confirm that (some of) the weapons and equipment found there were russia-only models and variants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's a good link. One prominent example is the AK-74M, a variant that's exclusive to Russia, Azerbaijan, and Cyprus. Guess which of those three countries probably has a stake in invading Ukraine. Also GM-94 pump-action grenade launchers, which are only in service with Russia, PKP Pechenegs, and SVD-S sniper rifles.

Someone a little more vehicle spergy could also identify the vehicles, but there's very specific T-72 variants (among others) that are Russian.
Those are the little Green Men of Crimea, I meant specifically referenced in that video - the soldiers point out that some of the weapons and equipment they just recovered from the abandoned area and claim they're only used in Russia internally and not officially exported. Not that anyone here actually doubts that Russia is supporting the whole thing at this point.

kalstrams posted:

There was fighting done by some of all the various battalions and such, but they, by large, were not able to maintain combat operations without embedding with the national guard or the armed forces proper. Makes sense, if you think about logistics.

Speaking of militias, I saw an interesting report on Inter news here today. The family of a KIA Right Sector volunteer was demanding for him to receive proper combatant status, and thus all kinds of support that entails for the remaining family. As much as this sucks for the family, the courts have been denying this so far, which is IMO the correct thing. Because first of all, who the gently caress volunteers to go fighting when they have an unborn child on the way, and secondly, it's better not to legitimize these sorts of militias anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

gently caress. That's really, really dumb.

It's so loving dumb I still have no idea what it's trying to say. Like I understand the logic behind "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" but this is... wtf ???

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Darkrenown posted:

There's a 30mm hole in the plane, SU-25 fires 30mm bullets, therefore it must have been shot by an SU-25. QED.

That's pretty dumb of course. But what I was trying to figure out is whether they were claiming the SU-25 was equipped with a rivet gun or something... because that hole isn't even 30mm wide according to their own image :wtc:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To the discussion about European armies earlier, I just saw a report on the front page of a Czech newspaper about the status of their heavy equipment. Basically up to 50% are not operational due to a lack of spare parts, apparently:
code:
Model         Total  Busted
----------------------------------
T-72M4CZ      30     15
Pandur II     100    40
BMP-2         120    40
T-810         550    120
But honestly the 15 tanks should be enough to keep everyone out, even the refugees don't want to come here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pizdec posted:

Wait, what? How is that fineable? And why is the penalty for being drunk ten times larger? You're not driving a car, it's not like your reaction time will matter when you're going 5 km/h. :psyduck:

edit - Apparently, according to Wiki, it's a thing in Finland, Latvia and Lithuania as well. What is it with the Baltics and their obsession with safety reflectors? (Replace "Baltics" with "limitrophes" if you're a Finn and you take objection to being piled together with those dirty Balts.)

It's probably so that you don't get ran over (as often) when you're stumbling along unlit roads at night, dressed in all black. I remember hearing something similar here in CZ as well but I'm not sure if it passed or not.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

You will most likely have to deal with strong hatred towards Russia and Syrian refugees and not anti-Semitism.

I doubt any Syrian refugees are willingly going to Ukraine so he should be safe. Many Russians are choosing to vacation there now so that's something I'd definitely watch out for.

Some of my best friends® were Jewish and I haven't seen much, if any, anti-Semitism. Just keep in mind that the PC culture hasn't gotten there yet so you might hear some casual -isms. Mostly it's just talk and shouldn't be a problem, but you should try not to look too gay just to be on the safe side.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What is this supposed to communicate to the people anyway? "Your doctor's can't be trusted to use Facebook, but it's totally safe to get cut open by one, trust us!" :stare:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unless Putin goes full :hitler: and decides to take Kiev, it should be fine. I have family there and outside of maidan there's been absolutely nothing there to worry about so far.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They already elected a senile alcoholic once so I doubt this would have any impact.

Is this poo poo still going down somewhere? I'm considering going to check out this circus after work.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Plus, they just saw what happens when you aren't all the way on the other side.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are women in Poland generally more or less pro-abortion/"choice" then men?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So how long was the censored cut of Wolf of Wallstreet, like 30 minutes?

Gantolandon posted:

Actually, the station claims the movie has already been censored by Americans for their TV channels and they got it in such state.
Oh that's even better! How do they translate stuff like "melon farmer"? :allears:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What a lovely way of representing the data.

But what's the motivation behind this? "Touch on crime"™? Revenue?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Does anyone care about Brno's feelings though?

No, and IMO Bohemia sounds way cooler than Czechia anyway. CR's fine too, though, at least it's not People's Democratic too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Latvia/Lithuania too.

Just gonna cross-post these instances of Czech confusion from the maps thread

quote:

Hah apparently somebody put together a huge imgur gallery. Enjoy: http://imgur.com/a/RpAK0

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 15, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

The title, and the reference to Trump, made me assume that the adviser's fashion choices were somehow a security risk. Like they had a target pattern on them, or football codes, or something.

They didn't have the three stripes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

woodenchicken posted:

A bunch of them were probably vegan.

A pretty safe bet!

"They are artists from an underground movement and have done it as the pure act of art."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The way things are going, in five years there might be british plumbers coming to poland for work.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

I guess apologizing for shooting down the Russian plane wasn't good enough.

They're even now though!

quote:

Russian President Vladimir Putin has lifted curbs on tour firms selling holidays in Turkey, brought in after a Russian jet was downed last year.

The move was announced in a decree (in Russian), in which Mr Putin also ordered trade talks with Turkey.

The ban on charter flights hurt the tourist industry in Turkey, a favourite destination for many Russians.

The Kremlin accepted a letter from Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan as an apology this week.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36676516

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

Merkel always seems to look awkward. Kind of incredible for such a successful politician.

... and doesn't the big honcho get to have a separate uniform style anyway?

I like how, despite not seeing her hands, you can tell that she's totally doing her hand thing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We really should've just kicked France out for good for their backstabbing ways. Two problems with one stone!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol French Canadians. I met a couple on holiday (not in Canada) and they were a walking stereotype, barely spoke English and the guy even had a front tooth missing from hockey, for gently caress's sake.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why don't they move to Canada instead? Or is that off the table due to all the homonazis you guys have?

I have some relatives in Russia too and they invited me over several times. They, though not actually Russian, were in complete denial and couldn't see why I would possibly have an issue with going there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

Well all the British petty thieves were sent to Australia, so it'd make sense that if any petty thief exist in Britain now, it's because they came from some other country.

Look at it this way: you get to be Eastern Europe's Australia.

Look, Romanian petty thieves are just thieving the things that British petty thieves won't thieve.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rust Martialis posted:

Cute, crazy, anti-Semitic, shacked up with a Russian drug-dealer. POLAND!
Pls remind her how much she's supposed to hate Russia(ns).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

I work for a Polish company, and my boss has never brought up any conspiracy theory. I should quit!

Definitely, he's probably part of it :tinfoil:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, they're very publicly buddies now after Turkey backpedaled on the downed fighter plane business. Staging a coup would most likely just replace Erdogan with someone they don't have leverage on.

Had the coup succeeded, they'd claim it was a western homonazi plot and invade Eastern Turkey to "protect the local population".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep. It's like 500m away from where my grandfather lives and along his route to some shops or metro station. While the collateral damage appears to be minimal, it's way too close for comfort.

Unsurprisingly, he wasn't on friendly terms with Moscow so that might have something to do with it :tinfoil:. Despite all the shittiness, it's hasn't been too common for journalists to be murdered in Kyiv so this is definitely a very unwelcome development. RIP Pavel of course.

Here's a BBC article: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36843808
And the original Ukrainian one from his employer: http://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2016/07/20/7115344/

Edit: Apparently a Ukrainain Forbes journalist was stabbed in a park yesterday by an unknown man. No other information, though it looks like she wasn't seriously injured.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 20, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

The rise of violent right wing nationalism in russia is ok because their violent racist thugs celebrate the winning side of WWII, the rise of violent right wing nationalism in post-soviet countries is bad because they celebrate the losing side of WWII. The violence and ideology don't matter, just which side they look back upon fondly.

Russia also has actual, no kidding Nazis as well though. Basically they're everywhere to certain degree but it just makes sense for Russia to play it up because their national identity is based ariund defeating them in the Great Patriotic War.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A video of the Sheremet assassination leaked out earlier today. Can't really see anything but yeah, his car goes boom :(.

A bit later, it seems that there's someone trying to get out from the rear-left door...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIv2gkUE6Jo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

It's pretty mild by historic standards for that country FWIW. For example, they are not engaging in large-scale ethnic resettlements at the moment.

Except resettling Ukrainians from Donbass and Crimea? :v:

They've been that way for a while, it was just more contained until Georgia. But they saw that nothing happened and here we are.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

I don't think PiS would want to get out of the EU either but it's possible they'd threaten it. Like a passive-aggressive threat that in the current state of the EU it can't afford antagonising its members. Also probably something about the EU limiting other country's sovereignty...by criticizing the government for limiting the sovereignty of its own citizens. Also to temporarily rub it in Tusk's face.
I don't think Tories wanted Brexit either yet here we are!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

I've been to Kyiv last weekend, and the central square is swarming with people offering tours to the residence. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to go there. They still have ostriches there that tourists can feed.

As for the golden loaf, apparently, it was a joke present from some bakery owner, and it's not actually made of gold.

Unlike Yanukovich's toilet.
I went there last year. Didn't go inside the main building though as you had to arrange for a tour and we were running out of time.

Main residence:

View from near the building down to the river:

In the sauna:

Not really golden!

Petting zoo:

So I haven't seen the golden loaf or anything like that, but it was definitely a bit rich for a president of a broke country.

A few more shots from his compound and the city, you can even see some homonazis!
http://imgur.com/a/Bx9wg

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Definitely quite a bit of progress made in CZ. 15 years ago or so it wasn't unusual to slip a cop some cash if you get pulled over, and nowadays this is pretty much unthinkable. Of course if you have some friend there you could have some strings pulled for you, a friend of mine got a bunch of speeding tickets dismissed this way recently. There's still a lot of shenanigans going on with defense and other procurement, of course.

Xerxes17 posted:

Ages ago in this thread, there was some mention of how Romania has become one of the least corrupt post-Soviet countries in eastern Europe because they basically let an EU legal task-force come in and and start cleaning house. From mulling it over in my head the only thing that I can thing of that has a reasonable chance of success is popular support for anti-corruption measures in the population and an outside and relatively impartial force comes in and fixes it. It certainly won't come from the government itself as they are the ones who benefit from it.

Which countries have taken on corruption and have managed to clear it out? What has worked and what has not?

I don't think this is ever a problem, is it? Tons of people/parties run on on an "anti-corruption" platform and people loving love it, but of course one they get into power, poo poo-all gets done actually because they now stand to benefit from that corruption. As you say, the critical part is getting an independent agency to manage the efforts, as otherwise everything would get obstructed in the regular courts.

The problem with that is that the politicians have to really, actually want it which they usually don't because they'd be the first against the wall because they're all dirty as hell.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

slavatuvs posted:

I'm wondering what the objective of a full-scale invasion, which I still find highly unlikely, would be. The way I see it there are 3 possible objectives for Russian forces if they do use the Crimea border clash as a justification to invade.

The most likely would be something like the intervention in Georgia in 2008. A limited campaign directed at militarily defeating the Ukrainian forces in Donbass and pushing them back to create buffer zones around the breakaway republics and possibly Crimea. This will ideally be a quick enough campaign that it will leave Europe and the U.S. indecisive about supporting Ukraine and render any support that is sent moot.
Yep, if they do decide to do something, which is rather likely, I think this is exactly how it'd play out. They won't even need to fire a shot at first, as a lot of the "disputed" territory isn't under Ukrainian control anyway, so they'll just move in there and say "what you gonna do about it" to anyone who has a problem with that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry to interrupt your wester Europe bomb chat, but here's an older article on racism in Ukraine and EE that I just came across. https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...m=.7ea9f8cc55ea

It shouldn't surprise anyone that it's very racist, but what's still shocking is just how open people are about it. Being sufficiently white I never experienced it obviously, but also never really saw it happen to others, almost certainly because there are just that few black people anywhere.

As terrible as all that is, the author seems to think there's a positive side to it, in that people are at least open to a conversation about it and don't immediately go into denying everything so there's a chance of making some progress at least. Which makes sense to some degree I think, but would probably take forever with so few foreigners around.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LeoMarr posted:

I have a friend in construction. When we drive past heavy machinery he waves his caterpillar universal key saying "I could drive that around if I wanted too!". I could see it being a problem if utilized in such a way. I mean you could easily cause landslides or break things with heavy machinary
Imagine if everyone did that. Then we'd have bulldozer battles in the streets like they have in China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPj-SPD_NIg

Actually, that sounds pretty sweet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He probably just realized how mean he's been to Putin and couldn't live with the guilt. Move along, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aliquid posted:

What's the comedy about being in Kiev? In Soviet Russia, homonazi doesn't gently caress you?

In Kiev, you're chicken? I dunno, not much fun in Kiev.