Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

quote:

A researcher in Russia has made more than 48 million journal articles - almost every single peer-reviewed paper every published - freely available online. And she's now refusing to shut the site down, despite a court injunction and a lawsuit from Elsevier, one of the world's biggest publishers.

For those of you who aren't already using it, the site in question is Sci-Hub, and it's sort of like a Pirate Bay of the science world. It was established in 2011 by neuroscientist Alexandra Elbakyan, who was frustrated that she couldn't afford to access the articles needed for her research, and it's since gone viral, with hundreds of thousands of papers being downloaded daily. But at the end of last year, the site was ordered to be taken down by a New York district court - a ruling that Elbakyan has decided to fight, triggering a debate over who really owns science. 

"Payment of $32 is just insane when you need to skim or read tens or hundreds of these papers to do research. I obtained these papers by pirating them,"Elbakyan told Torrent Freak last year. "Everyone should have access to knowledge regardless of their income or affiliation. And that’s absolutely legal."

If it sounds like a modern day Robin Hood struggle, that's because it kinda is. But in this story, it's not just the poor who don't have access to scientific papers - journal subscriptions have become so expensive that leading universities such as Harvard and Cornell have admitted they can no longer afford them. Researchers have also taken a stand - with 15,000 scientists vowing to boycott publisher Elsevier in part for its excessive paywall fees.

Don't get us wrong, journal publishers have also done a whole lot of good - they've encouraged better research thanks to peer review, and before the Internet, they were crucial to the dissemination of knowledge.

But in recent years, more and more people are beginning to question whether they're still helping the progress of science. In fact, in some cases, the 'publish or perish' mentality is creating more problems than solutions, with a growing number of predatory publishers now charging researchers to have their work published - often without any proper peer review process or even editing.

"They feel pressured to do this," Elbakyan wrote in an open letter to the New York judge last year. "If a researcher wants to be recognised, make a career - he or she needs to have publications in such journals."

That's where Sci-Hub comes into the picture. The site works in two stages. First of all when you search for a paper, Sci-Hub tries to immediately download it from fellow pirate database LibGen. If that doesn't work, Sci-Hub is able to bypass journal paywalls thanks to a range of access keys that have been donated by anonymous academics (thank you, science spies).

This means that Sci-Hub can instantly access any paper published by the big guys, including JSTOR, Springer, Sage, and Elsevier, and deliver it to you for free within seconds. The site then automatically sends a copy of that paper to LibGen, to help share the love.

It's an ingenious system, as Simon Oxenham explains for Big Think:

"In one fell swoop, a network has been created that likely has a greater level of access to science than any individual university, or even government for that matter, anywhere in the world. Sci-Hub represents the sum of countless different universities' institutional access - literally a world of knowledge."

Sci-Hub here :
http://sci-hub.io/

tl:dr
The main point here is whether science, unlike media, should be available for free (or at least affordable) to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Depends. Research science should, but technology belongs to the inventor.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

cool now i can troll antivaxxers and climate deniers even harder

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
this is pretty cool. what are some good things to search?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna download all the articles on perpetual energy and use them to make a machine that will kick me in the rear end for the rest of my life.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol

"leading universities such as Harvard... can no longer afford them"

--> "leading universities such as Harvard... do not wish to pay for them"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

quote:

Harvard University
Endowment: 37.6 billion USD

quote:

91 Ghana 38.6 billion USD
92 Democratic Republic of the Congo 35.9 billion USD

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

whats really neat is you can just go to any journal page you're denied access, slap .sci-hub.io just before the / and it goes from there

once again bootleggers deliver superior product

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bea Nanner posted:

this is pretty cool. what are some good things to search?

http://scholar.google.com.secure.sci-hub.io/scholar?q=ERECTION&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Where are you drawing that line and how do you rationalize imposing property rights on ideas when the only way to effectively hoard them at this point is to not share them.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Applewhite posted:

what about cases where "research science" reveals a new technology?

a friend told me recently about a woman who accidentally isolated a molecular tool for finding and snipping out sections of DNA. it will probably revolutionize cellular biological research and technological innovation. no one knew about this "technology" until this woman discovered and isolated its activity.

you may argue "she doesn't own it because she didn't invent it, just discovered it" but you're already in questionable territory.

there is not a good line between "research" and technological innovation. they interact very closely, and are often part of the same projects. this same friend has spent 2 years inventing a machine to do the research he needs to do. because the machine didn't exist. it's mostly held together by rubber bands, but he built it, and it does what he needs it to do. how does he go about sharing his research, if he needs to keep this machine proprietary? why is the machine proprietary, but the information it produces isn't (within your schema)?

where would technological innovators be without researchers who do research based on or utilizing the previous generation of technological innovations?

presumably a physical principle is "research," and if it is discovered, the discoverer does not own it; but people who invent tools based on that principle own them. but what have they done but apply the principle they didn't invent?

nomadologique fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 26, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
sick

it was pretty balls not being able to read an article just because it was in the wrong set of journals and those license are really expensive, my university and department were p well funded

do publishers even do anything beyond organising peer review

e; patent and ip law are really boring who gives ashit, there are people paid poo poo loads of mon ey to answer the question of what information you can and cant protect and im not one of them

XMNN fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 26, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

XMNN posted:

sick

it was pretty balls not being able to read an article just because it was in the wrong set of journals and those license are really expensive, my university and department were p well funded

do publishers even do anything beyond organising peer review

can publishers say they're necessary for that anymore

i think this lady just shot htem in the head.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

this lady is gonna be shot in the head by obama's secret police, or she'll have to go live w julian assange in ecuador and have troubling conversations about sex every other night

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah ive seen some p sick academic smack downs on papers that were supposed to be peer reviewed.

i remember one getting taken apart because they massively and possibly deliberately misinterpreted their crystal structures and it was obvious from the supporting files, it was brutal but very polite

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

down with Big Science

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

ive done extensive research on this topic

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
If she and the site is based in Russia, what the gently caress can a New York judge do beside bluster?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i don't find this to be a moral question at all, all media and information should be free. copyrights and intellectual property laws are a crime against human nature, and stifles progress to benefit rent seeking monied interests. intellectual property is 100% evil and bad

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
also thank you OP, I didn't know about this site and pirating academic journals will actually help me quite a bit

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

property laws are a crime against human nature. property is 100% evil and bad.

:yeah: :agreed:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
i don't find this to be a moral question at all, all media and information should be free. copyrights and intellectual property laws are a crime against human nature, and stifles progress to benefit rent seeking monied interests. intellectual property is 100% evil and bad

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Good. It's about time science caught up with the music and film industries.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
also thank you OP, I didn't know about this site and pirating academic journals will actually help me quite a bit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Constant Hamprince posted:

:argh: plagiarism isn't intellectual property, cite your sources!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the internet version of the echo game is alot funnier than IRL

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

where will they publish research abou the effects of open source sci fi journals on the research world?

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Any suggestions for climate change journals? I feel like pissing off all my family and friends today.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
LOL, this is silly. I already have a bible, thanks.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
this might be the first time any of these studies were fact checked or actually read

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
All the science I ever need is in my King James version of the Holy Bible.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I just finished reading every single paper on sci-hub, and apparently climate change is actually a hoax. Go figure.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
:argh: plagiarism isn't intellectual property, cite your sources!

code:
~~~~~~~~~!!~~~X/X/X/X----||||SCENEKID||||----X\X\X\X~~~~~~!!~~~~~~~
|||follow on twitter  @scenekid45214 shout out to all tha scene |||
|||except K0rnrow stop stealing my cracks u fake rear end losers     |||
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah those greedy scientists should work for free and not expect compensation for their labor

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Yeah those greedy scientists should work for free and not expect compensation for their labor

Do any actual scientists see any of that sweet-rear end journal money?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

call me crazy but seeing as though most research is publicly funded it always made little sense that public access to the result of the research would paygated by a third party.

also there's http://www.arxiv.org if you're into math, physics, and some other disciplines that hosts pre-prints - a weird trick that makes elsevier mad.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well someone has to do work editing and publishing the journals

Why do millennials think they're entitled to get everything for free

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
im tired of getting raped in the rear end in a top hat by taxes for science that nobody even reads..

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

lol reviewers dont get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Ein cooler Typ posted: