Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troutful
May 31, 2011

Taxes pay my salary but most taxpayers can't access my research... cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Well someone has to do work editing and publishing the journals

Why do millennials think they're entitled to get everything for free

Why are you using words? Those words were already put in that order by somebody else, somewhere else, and you are using their ideas for free. Please stop.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i think most scientists probably think this is p good

i know the post doc in my lab would pirate interesting papers we didnt have subscriptions for

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Yeah those greedy scientists should work for free and not expect compensation for their labor

i'm pretty sure scientists are paid a salary, it's not a piece work system

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Rutibex posted:

i'm pretty sure scientists are paid a salary, it's not a piece work system
yeah academics and post doc researchers at universities get a salary and phd students usually get a grant

people working in industry also obv get a salary

its not like a record contract

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

XMNN posted:

i think most scientists probably think this is p good

Most scientists are idealists

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hmm someone with a retarded german name is defending obsolete bureaucratic machinery

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
most scientists want to be able to read relevant research even if it happens to be published in nature instead of jacs

they also want to get published in nature so its not going away and im not sure institutional subscribers are going to ditch them for a russian pirate site

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
What will the world do without obsolete middlemen to collect money for effectively doing nothing?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Does this site contain the garbage academic papers done by the thousands by Chinese schools?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Germstore posted:

What will the world do without obsolete middlemen to collect money for effectively doing nothing?

Well the same people own pretty much all media sooo

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
but what does this do for me, the common man?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cantaloupe posted:

but what does this do for me, the common man?

you can now gain the benifit of a university education for free, by assigning yourself a list of these papers to read and then neglecting to do so

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

call me crazy but seeing as though most research is publicly funded it always made little sense that public access to the result of the research would paygated by a third party.

also there's http://www.arxiv.org if you're into math, physics, and some other disciplines that hosts pre-prints - a weird trick that makes elsevier mad.

it made sense when that poo poo was printed in actual physical journals but now its dumb

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Rutibex posted:

you can now gain the benifit of a university education for free, by assigning yourself a list of these papers to read and then neglecting to do so
lol

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
So, whos up for downloading all of them so I can back it up on a harddrive for when aliens gently caress over our planet and we need to restart from scratch? I wanna be the new Bill Applewhite GatorJobs.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Uxzuigal posted:

So, whos up for downloading all of them so I can back it up on a harddrive for when aliens gently caress over our planet and we need to restart from scratch? I wanna be the new Bill Applewhite GatorJobs.

The Seeds of Knowledge Bank - I like it

If ever our civilization is wiped out to near extinction and some far off alien life form came to Earth to discover our advanced technology, I really want them to appreciate our advances in teledildonics

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Now how will researchers cite things that no one else has a subscription to (effectively ensuring that the shoddiness of their research goes unnoticed)?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

a hole-y ghost posted:

Now how will researchers cite things that no one else has a subscription to (effectively ensuring that the shoddiness of their research goes unnoticed)?

lol. i think everyone does this

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I searched for "penis" but first I had to click on the pictures that contained dorozhniye znaki.

Not worth it.

http://scholar.google.ru.secure.sci-hub.io/scholar?q=penis&hl=ru&as_sdt=0,5

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't one of the founders or Reddit get busted for trying something like this a few years ago? I remember the Feds tried to make him an example and he ended up killing himself.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Oh cool, communists have taken over another thread with "You can't like, own anything, man".

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
someone could crack you in the skull and take your poo poo at any given time really ownership is not intrinsic

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

crabcakes66 posted:

Oh cool, communists have taken over another thread with "You can't like, own anything, man".
what

scientists want you to use their work thats why they publish it, the journals dont do any research they just control access to it

and do quality control/peer review obv but afaik they just farm the reviewing out to working academics and some p big stuff slips through the gaps anyway

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
these scientists getting me pissed

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
i don't find this to be a moral question at all, all media and information should be free. copyrights and intellectual property laws are a crime against human nature, and stifles progress to benefit rent seeking monied interests. intellectual property is 100% evil and bad

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Scientific research should be free, this ain't rocke- oh wait it actually is rocket science, sweet!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It should be free as gently caress

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

hemophilia posted:

It should be free as gently caress

says the man who pays for both, lmao

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That doesnt follow

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Scientific breakthroughs should be available to all - some freeloader somewhere could come up with a new thing based on things he saw for free, thus making his advances in thing technology free to everybody too

Sorry I don't know the technical words for the things I'm not a scientist

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the people generating the information dont even want to keep it to themselves

in 1850 if youre a chemist in some little poo poo hole town in ohio and you want to share your ground breaking discovery with the world, you send it off to a journal who publish it and all your peers with a subscription can access it when it turns up on the next donkey

in 2016 if youre a chemist and you want to share your work with the world you can p much put it out there for free to everyone at an open access publisher, but your department wants you to put it in a prestigious journal for dick measuring purposes so you submit it to someone who makes it available to a limited subset of your peers who happen to be at institutions that can afford whatever massive number the publisher feels like naming

theyre literally trading on their reputation, how massively ingrained impact factors etc are in the administration of departments, and the fact this makes people submit their work to them which they can then charge people to access

in return they do some editing and get some people to have a look at it to make sure its not obvious bullshit

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

notZaar posted:

Didn't one of the founders or Reddit get busted for trying something like this a few years ago? I remember the Feds tried to make him an example and he ended up killing himself.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/12/aaron-swartz-suicide_n_2462819.html

intellectual property is evil and snuffs out progress

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Blazing Zero posted:

intellectual property is evil and snuffs out progress

but people will stop doing anything interesting if there's no incentive :negative:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm downloading the entire science now. I'm gonna read it all and be smart as gently caress.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Sci-Hub is the best thing ever, seriously. Especially for hundred year old obscurities, for which a crappy scan is the best you can do.

Thank you, Armenianski-Russkie, your efforts are appreciated greatly.

Bea Nanner posted:

this is pretty cool. what are some good things to search?

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=A+new+monster+from+southwest+Oregon+forests%3A+Cryptomaster+behemoth&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C38&as_sdtp=

New species of spider, different from old because of its dick (Figure 6 c, d).

spud posted:

I'm downloading the entire science now. I'm gonna read it all and be smart as gently caress.

Careful! Just because it's published, doesn't mean it's smart science. A lot of it is crap!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

guidoanselmi posted:

but people will stop doing anything interesting if there's no incentive :negative:

we can have special "sponsored test results" seamlessly embedded into each study, then scientists can be paid on a per paper view basis

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
gently caress that I dent need research papars, I can genreate my own and sound like a jenius

https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I have no problem with IP but it would be better if it expired like how it did before Disney decided it should not. And in this case the people benefiting from restricting the information are not the people who create the information so- yeah pirate that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

SirEvelynTremble posted:

Scientific breakthroughs should be available to all - some freeloader somewhere could come up with a new thing based on things he saw for free, thus making his advances in thing technology free to everybody too

Sorry I don't know the technical words for the things I'm not a scientist

yes but you are confusing the point of science with some idealistic pie in the sky concept like "progress", when really the point is "money"

money money money

• Locked thread