Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Shouldn't the Lockout map transparently favouring James Packer cause Mediocre Mike to get publicly executed? I dont understand why that Luke guy is still opposition leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Brisbane election soon comrades.

Having a giggle at that teeny tiny LNP logo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Pretty sure Barnaby Joyce is the most hated at the moment judging polls wink.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

What the gently caress is someone like that doing in the Labor party in Australia? Sounds like he'd be right at home at some Ted Cruz rally.

I think the DLP forgot to send him the memo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Turnbull is tanking faster than a Kevin Rudd talking about immigration reform Yeehaw.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

iajanus posted:

Queensland worst state, as ever.

This is some House of Cards poo poo Gentlemen and Lawrence Springborg is Frank Underwood and Campbell Newman is Doug.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Brisbane City Council sold another block of public land to a Liberal National Party donor in 2013 without going to tender, but the Quirk-led LNP administration has rejected any suggestion of favourable treatment.

Lot 2, 538 Nudgee Road was sold to the BMI Group for $1.5 million as part of a $10.5 million compensation package for a 13-hectare landfill at Murarrie, which the council resumed in 2010 to convert to parkland.

The Nudgee Road property, which had been used as a spoil shed during the construction of Airport Link, was adjacent to another block of land – Lot 1, 538 Nudgee Road – which mired the LNP's council campaign in controversy last week.

Like Lot 1, which the council had hoped to sell to LNP donor Tan Boon Seng before Local Government Minister Jackie Trad refused to allow the transaction, Lot 2 did not go to public tender, as was legally required.

Both deals needed the approval of the sitting Queensland local government minister.

The $1.5 million price tag for Lot 2 was more than $100,000 below market value, according to the council's own valuations.

But a spokesman for BMI, which had made more than $80,000 in donations to the LNP in four years, said the company did not believe it had received special treatment.

"We do not believe we have ever received any benefit from donations to any political party or candidate and actually believe that any transactions we have undertaken attract a higher level of external scrutiny because of past donations," he said.

A spokesman for Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said BMI, the parent company of then-Murrarie site owner Siveressence, did not want to part with the southside property and "utterly rejected" any suggestion of favourable treatment.

"Their (Murrarie) business was closed down and they sought compensation of $36 million, but settlement was later reached for $10.5 million," he said.

"Part of the $10.5 million compensation included a land swap with an agreed purchase price of the Nudgee Road site for $1.5 million based on market value (remaining $9 million in cash).

"The site was considered surplus to council's needs and by entering into a land swap it meant council did not need to find the total value from its cash reserves."

Cr Quirk's spokesman said an independent valuation of the property gave it a sales value of $1.61 million, more than $100,000 above the agreed value reached by the two parties.

"However, council considered it failed to take into account requirements of the Nudgee Road bikeway and the uncertainty at the time of getting a 'general industry' area designation," he said.

Then-local government minister David Crisafulli signed off on the deal on February 28, 2013, about 1½ months after the council requested the exemption on November 23, 2012.

Mr Crisafulli said it was just one of "dozens" of ministerial exemption requests he received as minister.

"I had a simple rule. If council put forward a case that it was in the public interest and there was a valuation to ensure ratepayers dollars were protected I'd back the council," he said.

"I'd do that whether it was Graham Quirk in Brisbane or Jenny Hill in Townsville.

"Political affiliations or donations were never factored into my decision."

According to Electoral Commission of Queensland disclosures, the BMI Group had made $82,700 in donations to the LNP between 2011 and 2015.

BMI also sponsored a corporate golf day for Cr Quirk last year, photos of which were posted on its Facebook page.

The BMI spokesman said the company believed the overall resumption compensation was "below the true value of the Murarrie asset".

He said BMI also had to comply to what it considered to be "onerous" conditions to build its new waste facility on the site.

"We believe that the amount which BMI was required to pay would have been well in excess of the market value of the property at the time, given that it was not approved for industry at that time and give that the MCU [material change of use] was an impact assessable application," he said.

"A development application was lodged in April 2013 and in February 2014 it was approved subject to numerous conditions – the most onerous of which required BMI to improve and signalise the intersection onto Nudgee Road.

"Another condition removed direct access onto Nudgee Road from the property."

Cr Quirk's spokesman said BMI's financial support of the LNP did not enter into the council's consideration.

"There was no material personal interest on the part of any councillor in relation to the disposal of the property," he said.

Labor lord mayoral candidate Rod Harding once again accused the LNP administration of making secret deals to escape scrutiny.

"This is yet another land deal with a mate they didn't want to tell us about and this deal got the rubber stamp from Campbell Newman," he said.

"The question for Graham Quirk and the LNP remains: if it was such a good deal, why keep it a secret all this time?"

Greens lord mayoral candidate Ben Pennings said political donations would continue to cloud council decisions as long as they continued to be made.

"These matters will continue to arise while it's legal for political parties to accept donations from vested interests," he said.

The attempted sale of Lot 1 has been referred to the Crime and Corruption Commission.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think NSW is worse than QLD politically because we got rid of Campbell Newman pretty quickly and actually paid attention to all the poo poo he was doing. NSW seems to be under some hypersleep and Baird is ticking off every single Conservative wet dream one by one while still being extremely popular. On top of this, the worse QLD has to worry about is one or two Katters whereas NSW has to deal with Shooters and CDP

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao at this pace, Bill Shorten will be PM. Turdball is just absolutely suffocating in negative press. Jesus Christ it's like watching a Jeep try to swim.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Haha, what the gently caress did he do to his hair.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Rumor mill is saying a 3rd MP wants to resign from QLD Labor, potentially giving the LNP back government. Some media outlets are reporting an early election announcement this week in order to beat an incoming resignation announcement.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It always happens in either party. Some rural QLD MP just randomly decides to quit the party because "you fat cats in Brisbane are not representing the North!"

Campbell Newman had similar issues.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

This plus the lord mayor race makes for an exciting political hotspot.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wouldn't it be funny if the coalition moved to on shore processing before the ALP did in some crazy election manoeuvre.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My Jsa appointments last 5 minutes
You still studyin
You still applyin
See you next fortnight

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao the amount of people I talk to who say they will vote 1 green and liberal 2

"We must stop climate change but also have a healthy economy"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm willing to forgive the ALP, in return for Rod Harding being mayor and the Courier Mail running wild with dick jokes as headlines.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I occasionally run into people who are homosexual and vote Liberal. Which is odd, I'm not sure which circumstances such a political opinion is allowed to form.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I love reading facebook and seeing head empty greens thinking that turtleneck means The Greens will form a Coalition with the Liberals.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*watches bifauxnen wear a turtle neck for the rest of her life in ordering to enter a coalition agreement with negligent*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey everyone. Good news. Camps is back!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

QLD is the best state you simple-minded hooligan.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bogan King posted:

Counterpoint: Newman.

Counter Counter Point: Larissa Waters

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lego pieces covered in piss, poo poo, dorito dust and Peter Duttons dandruff

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Wow, where were all of you when I was being told to kill myself, die in a fire and being threatened with rape?

For me, it was Tuesday.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Eh. I don't mind you. I just furiously disagreed with you at that particular moment.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is asking about milk a threat?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I envy the dead who see no parliament

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Milky Moor, what brand of milk do you drink?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Go away friendlyjordies

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

All this shitposting crawling underneath my skin
Causing me to change from within

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yes but I don't vote for a party that locks up men, women and children.
Also known as the party that backstabbed Penny Wong at the national conference to turn a potential hard stance on legalizing gay marriage into a carrot on a stick promise* (IF WE WIN THE ELECTION ;-) )
Also known as the party that shapeshifts on climate change while in government
Also known as the party that still hasn't replaced Bill Snoreton.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Video games are like 20 dollars more expensive though. A 89 dollar game is about 110 over there.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Did some Goon finally create Anidav Simulator? I think someone was making it and had some opening scenarios all written up and that link reminds me of that hilarious little project.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

WELFARE CARS CROSSING DETENTION POINT

Writes Herald Sun Contributer.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The best comedy comes from ourselves. Your personality bounces dad jokes off itself 24/7.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

How does a 14 year old kid get a property portfolio????

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Rob Pyne's resignation shows North Queensland is a state of mind

One of the mistakes of our federation is that North Queensland is not a separate state. Politicians from north of Capricorn have long complained about the neglect of tropical Queensland by Brisbane-based governments.

Last week former Labor MP now independent Member for Cairns Rob Pyne complained that: "Far north Queensland has been the victim of historic neglect over recent years...We have double digit unemployment and youth unemployment of over 20 per cent, and we are badly in need of state funding for important infrastructure, like our local schools."

Nothing new here. In 1948 the redoubtable Tommy Aikens, the Independent member for Mundingburra (1944-1977), complained that "…in North Queensland working-class families of long standing are preparing to leave the North and its long slack period unemployment, and migrate to Brisbane with its near-permanence of employment and abundant and varied recreation during the long week-ends".

Indeed, how can the leaders of the Queensland government, ensconced in the outer urban Struggle Street seat of Inala, and the inner urban Uber-connected seat South Brisbane, understand the needs of provincial city electorates in the tropics, "a thousand miles away"?

History tells us that long serving, successful premiers in Queensland are those who come from the north. 'Red Ted' Theodore, premier 1919-25 came from Chillagoe; William Forgan Smith, premier 1932-42, was the member for Mackay, Peter Beattie, premier 1998-2007, was raised in Atherton.

History also tells us that northern Independents have longevity. Aikens was a railwayman elected in the state seat of Mundingburra (later Townsville South) in 1944, who held the seat until 1977. He founded the Hermit Park branch of the ALP in 1940 but was booted by the anti-communist ALP Queensland Central Executive in 1941 for his pro-Soviet views. His branch soon followed, and together they formed the North Queensland Labor Party, successfully contesting the 1944 state poll.

Tommy was a parliamentary rabble rouser. He and Ted Walsh (ALP Bundaberg) went several rounds in the lobby of the Legislative Assembly in 1944. His obituary records that he once told an unnamed premier: "You are so narrow-minded you could look through a keyhole with both eyes."

The "Voice of the North", as he was known, advocated castration for sex offenders long before Russ Hinze's infamous comment was made, criticised militant trade unions, and called on universities to expel students taking part in demonstrations.

While there is no suggestion that former left faction member Pyne shares these views, he does share the North Queensland cargo cult mindset that delivers government goodies not on the basis of need but simply because they are for North Queensland.

Pyne told Brisbane Times last week, "It doesn't matter whether it has been schools in the Cairns electorate, or hospital in Atherton … for far north Queensland. I'll be putting my hand up for the people of Cairns and be a very powerful advocate for my city, and hopefully achieve a number of more significant wins in terms of service and infrastructure".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Put Quirk last today. Hope he shoves his unnecessary road upgrades the same place we shoved Newman's privatisation plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Smith creaned his pants and went home.

• Locked thread