Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-01/abc-politics-live-blog-march-1/7209628

Live: Cory Bernardi seconded to the United Nations
MAP: Australia
The Federal Government is sending controversial senator Cory Bernardi to the United Nations for a three-month secondment, starting September.

Here is a little more detail on Senator Bernardi's trip to the Big Apple.

The Federal Government is sending Liberal Senator Cory Bernardi to the United Nations on a three month secondment.

The ABC understands Senator Bernardi will start his post in September.

The Government sends one Coalition and one Labor MP each year as parliamentary observers of the UN General Assembly.

Senator Bernadi has been critical of the United Nations in the past, describing it as an "unelected and unaccountable body" and a "fiscal black hole of bureaucracy" during debate in the Senate.

Here's a reminder of what Senator Bernardi told the ABC last month, trying to dissuade his government from endorsing former Labor Prime Minister Kevin Rudd as a potential replacement for current secretary-general Ban Ki-Moon.

Unless of course ... the plan is to destroy the United Nations from within, then that's what I think he would do.
Cory Bernardi, February 4

Sounds like they're gearing up for an election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

gay picnic defence posted:

They'd want him around for an election though wouldn't they? Unless this is a bribe to get him to shut the gently caress up until after a DD in June.

He's easily their most reviled MP and with same-sex marriage being a key part of the election he'd be pushing swing voters away.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Frogmanv2 posted:

Gillard got quite a bit done, the majority of which was good for the nation. The NBN, the BER, the price on carbon. Plus she worked with a minority government and a much more fractured senate than what we have now.

Its not her fault it all got dismantled after she got rolled.

She also stabbed her own party leader in the back to appease the mining companies, brought back offshore detention and went to the 2010 election with a policy to think about maybe doing something about carbon pollution (the minority govt was the only reason a carbon tax was ever put in place). Gillard was the personification of everything wrong with the ALP/politics in general and should not be lionized.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
A DD election with the new senate voting method would be the best possible chance for some of the fringe parties to get in. I'd happily trade Ricky for HEMP, SEX and BULLET TRAINS.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I guess a lot of priests were curious too. But no, we don't. Whether that means someone can't be extradited some other way I don't know.

Just do what mossad did with all the nazi's hiding in south america.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Lid posted:

-A man most famous for undermining a woman.

A woman that did it to him first. Rudd clearly believes in equal treatment.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr Chips posted:

what did he do?

Didn't he just make them prioritize Armidale in the roll out and satellite internet for places where it didn't make sense to do a full fibre install?

When Windsor backed the ALP over the LNP, Labor's NBN was a big reason why he chose them.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

MonoAus posted:

Sometimes I think you guys (auspol superstars) are so keen for an argument you start throwing punches at the sniff of a different opinion to your own despite it being completely complementary

They are. I got my av because i argued that Kevin07 was better than Juliar.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Just lol if you're only now starting to lose respect for Penny "I'm a lesbian, now let me explain to you why i think same-sex marriage is bad" Wong.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Burn Down Canberra posted:

A liberal government with control of both houses is loving terrifying. People should stop being disingenuous. It's an actual possible situation if a DD is called soon.

lol no it's not.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Anidav posted:

So the ALP wants to block it because they find the prospect of more greens taking up ALP born to rule senate seats terrifying.

The ALP knew the voting reform was going to pass whether they supported it or not, so they decided to use it as an opportunity to get some ammo against the greens for the election.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Pickled Tink posted:

There will never be a last dog. Even if First Dog on the Moon dies, I shall create them myself by carefully clipping out his illustrations and rearranging them to create new comics, complete with fresh words to describe the events of the day.

So just continue doing what's already done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Soft...
Perfect time to keep on striking and apply the pressure.

• Locked thread