Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Who is going to be able to enter the drug testing van then leave again and not be picked up by police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

that "Eat the Boomers" article from a few pages back has gained enough traction they were talking about it on triple j this morning. Apparently it is doing the facebook rounds pretty heavily.

Not that I think that will mean it will change anything, but the groundswell is there.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Holy SHIIIIT :bang:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

Add this to Costello-was-a-bad-economic-manager.txt

The man's an imbecile. We already 'tax the internet' with the GST when customers pay for connections, and also via company profits on ISPs and content companies. Allowing big tech companies to exploit transfer pricing to avoid local taxes is the problem here, not a failure to 'tax the internet'. The comparison to RF spectrum licensing fees is also specious, as Facebook etc most definitely do pay for the fibre out of their datacentres to IXes.

He's the head of channel 9, this is just transparent "stop making us pay a licence every year"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

do the fines go to the Job Agency in question? if so laffo, can't see that going wrong.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I just got an email from Centrelink saying I had a letter on myGov to read. I open up myGov and find a .pdf to read from Centrelink saying I have an appointment to see them at a certain time and place, and if it doesn't suit then to contact them to change it. I call the number in question and while talking to a computer and listening to their spiel while waiting, it mentions you can change your appointment time on the website now. It did not say this in the electronic letter, just to call the phone line. While waiting to be connected to someone (saying "Operator" down the line) I tried to log in to the Centrelink website from the link on myGov and got some database error about things not working right now. Being the savvy internet user I am, I went back and tried the link again - and this time I got through to the Centrelink website!

I scanned the website for a little while and nowhere did I see any mention of appointment booking. By this time I was connected to someone on the phone and I mentioned I needed to change my appointment - because someone who is on a Parenting payment which is going to be cancelled for a child who is turning 6 can't come in to Centrelink at 2 in the afternoon. I'll be picking kids up from school soon after that.

"They should know that by now" says the helpful operator.

I also mention how I can't see appointments on the website.

"Oh you just type in appointments and it should come up" says the operator.

There is no obvious place to type anything.

Anyway, I got the appointment changed to a suitable time over the phone, and it didn't take particularly long (Family services probably don't have as many people calling them).

I finally clicked on a little menu icon at the top of the website and find a place to search, type in appointment and up comes a menu item that doesn't have appointment in the name, but when I click the little plus next to it the option I want shows up.

When I click on the spot to change appointments it tells me I have no scheduled appointments.

That's my story, thank you for listening.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

All you need to know is that 100% of JSAs are a complete scam that are rorting the government for every cent they can squeeze out of them.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

We've already seen Clive Palmer and Pauline Hanson try the comedian in politics routine and it hasn't worked well for them

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Everyone is saying Greens "voted No" to marriage equality, which is confusing the issue. Instead, what they actually said was "we're voting for that on Thursday, not today"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

but what just happened to the vote on SSM that was supposed to happen today?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

but there's still time for discussion right? Not that it's good for anything because everyone has already made their minds up.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

EvilElmo posted:

Don't pretend the Greens haven't played politics here either.

You mean stayed sensible and reasonable while Labor have gone berserk around them?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If the Greens SSM bill is defeated is there any reason they can't lodge another at a later date?

I don't know if there are any rules, but it's going to put it off for more than a year surely. You can't just keep bringing up the same poo poo and expect people to finally go along with it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Lid posted:

Q: Do you think [sexuality] is a choice?

George Christensen:

Obviously it’s a choice... Or they can be born that way. They can choose it.

Q: Well which one is it?

George Christensen:

Whatever it is. If the person is born gay, then they’re gay. If someone makes the choice that they’re going to have homosexual sex, that’s up to them.

It’s a free world.

Q: If you think being gay is a choice -

George Christensen:

I didn’t say it was a choice. I said people could choose if they want. So I’m not saying it’s a choice people have, that they’re not born gay... You can choose to enter into homosexual relationships if you want to. It’s a free society.

Q: What’s the difference?

George Christensen:

There’s no difference... There’s no difference in the act. If you’ve chosen it of if you’re born with it. The act is the act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skwgk9duVaU&t=3s

starkebn
May 18, 2004

fact of the matter is Leyonhelm knows he got in to the senate on a scam and is poo poo scared about losing his cushy job once the reforms go through

starkebn
May 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Also a pox on all your loving houses.

TL;DR

she's a decade behind Hitchens

starkebn
May 18, 2004

katlington posted:

true or not....it would certainly shut up an ignorant journalist....which should be done more often...why do we pay so much attention to bloody journalists anyway....I mean they report on the bad news and make it seem like our life revolves around it....what about the good news?

don't bad-mouth Leigh Sales mate, you'll get cut

starkebn
May 18, 2004

what do they hope to accomplish considering they've been told they're going to be at it until it's done with?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Negligent posted:

Nick Xenophon's popularity is inexplicable

Didn't he get voted in on Pokie reform? Since then he seems to be a pretty straight talker. That's probably enough for most people, never mind his record.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

ABC has been so bad about what the Senate voting reform is. On their Facebook news feed that were saying 1-6 abl and 1-6 btl. Now on TV the reporter said between 1-6 abl

Can't even report facts properly mistah speaker

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Nibbles! posted:

They'll should list the number of times and legislation Labor and the Greens have voted with the Liberals for comparison.

Doing you get it? When Greens vote for policy they support is only because they've done a deal. When Labor does it...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Apparently the funding was always to create a bunch of resources then shut down any ongoing funding

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Anidav posted:

I feel like Brisbane is trapped in a void where we elect mayors who want rubber wheeled trains in southbank.

you mean buses? Or trams?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

open24hours posted:

Fixed terms are unarguably better.

yes, but they were coupled to 4 year terms in the ballot which is bad in QLD where there is no upper house

starkebn
May 18, 2004

A typical Arsetralian voter posted:

I voted yes too without really thinking about it but I am keen for a wild ride.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Even Pete Beattie agrees state governments are poo poo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

how about letting judges do their job and stop tying their hands with mandatory sentencing?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

Well you see CSL were privatised in 1994 for about $450 million (inflation adjusted). A controlling interest in the privatised, publicly traded company now would've netted the Commonwealth about 23 billion in equity and @ 1.7% annual dividend yield, going by today's ASX data. I'm not sure what my point was, actually. Maybe the electricity grid being privatised is a good example? Oh wait, that just guaranteed a stupidly high ROI for unnecessary network investment, causing power prices to rise for consumers.

If the government had a controlling interest in CSL it would be a completely different company so you can't extrapolate results like that

starkebn
May 18, 2004

this is from a month ago, but this is Dio Wang wanting the ABCC to become a federal ICAC

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/01/dio-wang-aims-to-create-national-icac-by-amending-building-watchdog-bill

quote:

Dio Wang aims to create 'national Icac' by amending building watchdog bill

Senator says a federal corruption body would focus not just on unions but public officials, politicians and white-collar crime

Dio Wang

Monday 1 February 2016 17.11 AEDT Last modified on Monday 1 February 2016 17.13 AEDT

The Palmer United Party senator Dio Wang will attempt to amend the Australian Building and Construction Commission (ABCC) bill to create a national corruption body, similar to the New South Wales Independent Commission Against Corruption (Icac).

The Turnbull government will present a bill to reinstate the ABCC as its first piece of legislation this year when parliament resumes on Tuesday.

The Senate blocked the legislation last year but the employment minister, Michaelia Cash, is hoping to use the secret sixth volume of the Trade Union Royal Commission report to convince senate crossbenchers to support the building industry watchdog.

Labor and the Greens will not have access to the confidential briefings, which, according to the government, must remain secret to protect witnesses named in the report.

But Wang is in the process of drafting an amendment to broaden the legislation to create a federal corruption commission, although he has yet to discuss the proposal with the government.

“Obviously the current situation with the building and construction industry is quite daunting given that the royal commission has made some serious findings,” Wang told Guardian Australia.

“But also there is corruption anywhere and everywhere so a national Icac would be a really good authority to deal with it.”

He said the ABCC approach was too narrow and there was a need for a federal corruption body to focus not just on unions but on public officials, politicians and white-collar crime.

“Given the royal commission has done its work and the government has had two or three years talking about this issue, I think it’s the right time,” he said. “We have enough momentum to talk about a national Icac now.”

The government needs six of the eight senate crossbenchers to pass the ABCC bill. If it is rejected again by the Senate, it provides another potential trigger for a double-dissolution election.

Asked whether the government would consider using the issue for a double dissolution, Cash said: “That is a thing that the PM would obviously need to authorise himself but certainly we have said we will take both of these policies to the next election whether that be sooner or later. We are prepared to go back to the Australian people as we did in 2013.”

The independent senator John Madigan also called on the Turnbull government to take a broader approach to corruption but would not comment on the federal corruption commission proposal until he had seen more details.

“When constituents approach me complaining of corruption, unfair practices and unconscionable conduct their complaints inevitably relate to their treatment at the hands of banks, financial planners, lawyers, accountants, valuers, doctors, builders, major supermarket chains or government departments,” he said.

“Not once has a constituent approached me to complain that they were ripped off by their union, yet this seems to be the government’s exclusive focus.”

Madigan said that illegal activities needed to be “stamped out” but criticised the Turnbull government’s approach as having “more than a whiff of ideology about it”.

He said if the government’s ABCC bill was aimed at corruption across the board he would sign up tomorrow.

“It is not just a happy coincidence for the Coalition that [Dyson] Heydon’s report appeared at the beginning of an election year,” he said.

“This gives it ammunition to, firstly, pressure the Senate to pass anti-union laws it previously rejected and, secondly, to fight an election campaign on this issue against an opponent it hopes will be sullied through its association with the union movement.”

The independent senator Jacqui Lambie told the ABC she would not support the ABCC bill while the government was considering making cuts to Medicare.

And the Liberal Democratic senator David Leyonhjelm wants to place an eight-year sunset clause on the legislation so it does not stay on the statute books indefinitely.

When the Greens tried to introduce a bill to establish a federal commission against corruption in 2014, Coalition senators argued the current multi-agency approach was sufficient to fight corruption while Labor senators argued that it was “premature”.

At the federal Labor conference last year, a former party vice-president, Tony Sheldon, who is the national secretary of the Transport Workers Union, included a motion for a federal Icac but it was taken down at the last minute.

At that time, the shadow special minister of state, Gary Gray, echoed the Coalition by saying the existing agencies were already working.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Even though the senate has to vote no before a DD is officially called, they're going to be blasting out of the gate campaigning tomorrow, I can feel it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Cartoon posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-22/medcraft-backs-funke-kupper-after-resignation/7265602
Because ASIC is in no way in bed with the people it supposedly oversees. Nah uh! No way!

Federal ICAC now

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Recoome posted:

Did they factor in the enforcement costs?

Ssssshhhhh. don't muddy the narrative

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Negligent posted:

doesnt cost much to enforce against a deceased estate

Solemn Sloth posted:

Commonwealth Government could save more than $800 million a year by 2017 if it recovers outstanding student loans from deceased estates and people living overseas.

Okay, now that actually looks credible.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

starkebn posted:

I just got an email from Centrelink saying I had a letter on myGov to read. I open up myGov and find a .pdf to read from Centrelink saying I have an appointment to see them at a certain time and place, and if it doesn't suit then to contact them to change it. I call the number in question and while talking to a computer and listening to their spiel while waiting, it mentions you can change your appointment time on the website now. It did not say this in the electronic letter, just to call the phone line. While waiting to be connected to someone (saying "Operator" down the line) I tried to log in to the Centrelink website from the link on myGov and got some database error about things not working right now. Being the savvy internet user I am, I went back and tried the link again - and this time I got through to the Centrelink website!

I scanned the website for a little while and nowhere did I see any mention of appointment booking. By this time I was connected to someone on the phone and I mentioned I needed to change my appointment - because someone who is on a Parenting payment which is going to be cancelled for a child who is turning 6 can't come in to Centrelink at 2 in the afternoon. I'll be picking kids up from school soon after that.

"They should know that by now" says the helpful operator.

I also mention how I can't see appointments on the website.

"Oh you just type in appointments and it should come up" says the operator.

There is no obvious place to type anything.

Anyway, I got the appointment changed to a suitable time over the phone, and it didn't take particularly long (Family services probably don't have as many people calling them).

I finally clicked on a little menu icon at the top of the website and find a place to search, type in appointment and up comes a menu item that doesn't have appointment in the name, but when I click the little plus next to it the option I want shows up.

When I click on the spot to change appointments it tells me I have no scheduled appointments.

That's my story, thank you for listening.

Had my Centrelink appointment today.

I travelled across 3 suburbs to get there, waited in line and when I was attended to I was told "we just want to let you know that when your payment stops, when your youngest child turns 6, you will need to apply for Newstart online if you want to keep getting a payment"

That's it, that's all it was about. The system is loving broken if they don't think that that is ridiculous. Luckily I have the means to be able to drive myself there. I don't want to consider what it would be like trying to use the Brisbane public transport network to get there and back.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mithranderp posted:

It's relatively ~okay~ to get to the main Centrelink offices in Brisbane (worse since they shut down the West End one a few years back) via public transport. The worst part of it is the fares, because we're the only state that doesn't have low income concessions. I'm really hoping this will change soon, but who knows

If I was unfortunate enough to rely on a Centrelink payment to survive and I had to "attend a meeting" just for them to tell me I would have to do something online in a few months I would have been raging.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I imagine a lot of people when asked that question didn't have a clue what the questioner was talking about.

The senate wants to get rid of the ABC?!?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Must be nice when you've got everything figured out and it's all so black & white

starkebn
May 18, 2004

MaliciousOnion posted:

starkebn posted:

Must be nice when you've got everything figured out and it's all so brown & white

:boom:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Avshalom posted:

you loving

holy poo poo, in on the ground floor of Avshalom's return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Large percentages of people think "budget repair" should be a priority. A concept so nebulous as to have almost no meaning.

• Locked thread