Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I haven't been following politics beyond this thread, and I feel better for it.

Pope > Pavel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Grouchio posted:

What's baking you harder? Your summer outback sun? Or your Chinese dependencies lighting themselves on fire?

Heres a better question: are you ready for a bad time?

They are still opening up chocolate cafes. There are dozens of the blighted things.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Blockchain has proven to be an excellent method for distributed authentication.

Amethyst, you've finally gone too far.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A Good Username posted:

INNOVATION MUTHAFUCKAS!!!!

If you buy an Arduino, you are put on a government watch list. if (this) then {}, is removed from programming languages as making a computer decide between things is a core concept in robotics. Buy a lego mindstorm, may god have mercy on your soul.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Whatever you do, don't call it FTTP.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

So, can I get my old biochem lecturer arrested the next time she takes a class?

It is for stuff not in the public domain. But write a piece of code that modifies or builds upon something in the public domain which could theoretically be used for military purposes, and you could be in trouble. A lot of it revolves around the idea of 'Dual Use technology', which is an incredibly nebulous term and can apply to practically anything.

Improve a path-finding algorithm, maybe it can be used for a combat drone. Write an encryption algorithm, and maybe it can be integrated into signals intelligence. Basically you need to get approval from the DoD, and allow them free access to your site and data, or risk getting in trouble if you are doing research that interests them. All it will do is encourage private science and technology research to move overseas.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jibs Monteef posted:

There are only like, two pictures in that, just copy and pasted over and over again.

Why are you like this?

First dog is for the 110 IQ crowd. It is a sad reflection of our society.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 5, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

toe shoes posted:

Suck poo poo unemployed goons

Lets create an even more perverse incentive for job agencies to force people into dogshit, agency-run training programs. I don't understand how you can draft this policy (with knowledge of the current policy) and think it is a good idea to give agencies even more tools to assist rorting a funding model rife with corruption. You may as well set piles of money on fire.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

im permabanned poster Endman. i first started reading AusPol when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "stop the boats" and "first dog on the moon is funny" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of AusPol humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" AusPol to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

There was actually a time where people on this forum enjoyed reading first dog though.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Even if you are obligated to attend appointments, it's really hard to muster the will to attend if you believe them to be a waste of time. Even if you are a model job seeker who is actively looking for work, the time it takes to get ready and commute to can be better spent at home. They don't really provide much beyond what you have at home except for maybe a newspaper. And if you are managing your job search on your personal computer, then it's actually a pain in the arse to have to do stuff away from it.

Often for people attending a one on one appointment, the manager is checking off your progress and interrogating you as if you were getting in their way of meeting some quota. Expecting people to be inconvenienced and attend a verbal dressing down is a bit much. I imagine for a lot of people, they find that environment to be intimating, if not hostile and are inclined to avoid such situations out of instinct.

It doesn't make sense to penalise people for non-attendance, because appointments are generally not constructive towards finding employment. The effect of a penalty is actually detrimental to job seekers, it causes financial and emotional stress and runs counter to the purpose of the payment (to cover living expenses). Even if you ignore every other argument, it just doesn't make sense from a purely functional perspective.

I'd also point out that they do cut you off if you don't attend appointments. The difference is that you can ring up and grovel to Centrelink and they will reinstate it, which is punishment enough.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 9, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MonoAus posted:

Why are they trying to bring in fines then? Surely if this is a 'gently caress-the-poors' situation it's better to stick with cutting you off for not turning up than fining you.

Because once you are cut-off, then there really isn't much stopping you from reapplying. Which is why they typically reverse it if you call up. The sort of people who don't reapply are people fed up or emotionally exhausted and try to live off debt (which is a bad outcome).

Whereas if you fine someone, there is less grounds for appeal, you 'save money', you appear tough on bludgers, and gently caress the poors. It leads to a worse outcome for more people, and it functionally holds them back from finding employment, it has the opposite effect of the desired outcome. Who is more likely to find a job if you have less money for food, travel, clothes, internet etc? It's absurd.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MonoAus posted:

I'm still not clear on what the purpose of these fines are beyond appearing to do something about a perceived "problem" but not actually doing anything at all. The article said that there would be grounds for appeal, I imagine it wouldn't be any more/less difficult than reapplying. Cutting off someone's payments saves a lot more money than fining them 10%.

When you get cut off for non-attendance it is usually treated like a clerical error. So if you ring up and say you forgot and reschedule it, they will fix it up. It isn't really an appeal, as the phone operators have some leeway to fix missed appointments. If you get a fined by the provider, the implication is that it isn't a clerical error and that you will have to go through the official appeals process. First you appeal to the Centrelink branch manager, and they will reject it because you missed the appointment. Then you appeal that, which means you get an independent assessor (who is typically on your side) and in a few months determine that the fine should be reversed.

It will be more difficult than reapplying. The other purpose is a way to coerce clients into undertaking activities under the threat of a fine. I.e. do a lovely JSA run course, unpaid work trial etc.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 9, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

Slightly off topic, but I always find it surprising that complaining bitterly about private enterprise rarely considers that people could in fact out compete them with a better product.

Something about a free market economy.

This would be true if the JSA sector was not a highly regulated industry where funding is based on Key Performance Indicators which are antithetical to providing good, ethical service. It is plainly not free market. A government providing all the rules, and all the funding, you can do better.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Methinks they're a bit nervous :)

Top Cop really gets around.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Jensen is of course the hilarious Anglican equivalent of Cardinal Pell, projecting his complete unfunnyness on the planet in general and the ABC seems strangely drawn to this.

The comedians he cited are pretty unfunny. I don't think it is so much of a projection, but a reflection of the mediocrity of popular Australian comedy and political discourse.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Just wait untill someone makes an app for this.

aka. the Tide detergent economy.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

First Dog is purportedly on the side of LBGQTI folks.

Depicts Malcolm Turnbull as a woman and asks where his balls are.

Uh huh.

you read first dog, so you double lose.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

I voted yes too without really thinking about it but I am keen for a wild ride.

- Anidav

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

OTOH if you're currently in ail for housebreaking for the 5th time, gently caress your self-esteem. I'd happily make jail sentences for such people much shorter and bring back the lash.

Why not a hand? That way you can easily spot burglars and leave it up to the individual over how to react. Also there are only two hands, which is a good set up for a graduated, three strike policy.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tithin posted:

Might explain all the double dissolution talk. Getting it done before the sheen wears off.

It is already too late for that.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

The little voice inside my head hopes Ricky vote no and becomes legend.

a loving legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRRIjOkzHPM

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

good.

gently caress that guy.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cleretic posted:

For what it's worth, they both took it really well.

:hfive:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

It is incredible to watch all these stooge leaders fall into the same pit Rudd fell into. Heck Rudd even put a warning sign up before he fell in. My crystal ball gazing is putting ScoMo as opposition leader.

I would like a Liberal opposition leader who is unable to make a statement on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Monis had an islamic flag, and made hostages stand in front of it. If that isn't an attempt to promote extremist islam then what is it? The kid with the knife had an islamic state flag, do you think if he'd been successful and killed a cop that the flag would've stayed in his pocket and not been put on display? Why else would you carry the symbols of a cause or religion when carrying out an act like that if it wasn't a significant motivation for that act? Even simply dying for a cause is important for extremist muslims, just look at the way they carry on about martyrs.

If they aren't actually connected to ISIS in any way, perhaps they are doing it for attention? If someone like Monis acted out and attacked his perceived enemies, he would be on the news for a day or two. But stage a armed stand-off and wave the ISIS flag around, and he will be talked about and used as political rhetoric for far longer. By adopting something more popular, he is making himself more popular by association. Is that really much of a stretch to make?

I think there is a distinction to be made between terrorism conducted by an individual and terrorism conducted by an institution. They often have differing causes and motivations, and are combated/solved in very different ways. If you classify Monis as an Islamic extremist/ISIS, then you end up spending money on counter terrorism units, signals intelligence and monitoring, looking for him in a place where he doesn't exist. Monis is a very good case study as to why conflating the sources of terrorism can lead to people him slipping through the cracks and causing trouble.

• Locked thread