Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Helen Highwater posted:

What the gently caress is this?

Clean For the Queen.

'Hey proles, you don't have jobs and the people who were formerly employed keeping your streets clean have all been rendered down into trace elements but could you do their work for free Her Maj? Did I hit my head and wake up in an alternate timeline where the feudal system was somehow still a thing in TYOOL 2016?

I like the map showing warheads going off and ranking it by megadeaths. Yes... Clean the UK...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

'Flaps is definitely roleplay-posting as my dad ITT

Except my dad will pony up and still vote Labour if he knows what's good for him

Corbs and McDonna are two grumpy old men who will either have to luck into victory or incidentally get voted in on the back of a strong grassroots Labour campaign and lowering Tory support, as much as I liked Corb in the campaign he's quite laughable as a public figure and him and John are going down a checklist of "things I hope they don't do" and ticking them all off.

However, for the first time in decades there is a genuinely leftist alternative to vote for that may not be perfect or even particularly good but anyone paying a modicum of attention for the last 20 years knows is a step in the right direction YEARS earlier than could have been expected. And all you need to do is cast a vote and say at the very least people are willing to vote for this.
Ditching the labour party as soon as they actually start lurching drunkenly back to their roots is so loving Liberals.txt.

I think maybe its not trendy to play videogames in this thread? But as a useless analogy that occurs to me: Dark Souls 1 on PC was a garbage port and everyone knew it, I still bought it though because I wanted the sequels to come to PC with more effort. Now just 4 years later Dark Souls 3 is a simultaneous release on PC. If we just don't stop voting at literally one of the few moments that matters, Jeremy Corbyn III will be elected in 2030 with drop-in-drop-out co-op.
I rest my case, thank you.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tim Farron and Michael Gove should have some kind of competition to decide who looks most like a baby in a suit.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Boing posted:

I have Jewish family friends who say they'd never consider voting for Corbyn because he's massively anti-Israel, which caught me off guard too because I'd never heard that before.

I think the accusation is anti-Zionism, not anti-Semitism, and maybe that has a bit more heft because of his links to Palestine, but I still really doubt Corbyn's views are anything like "gently caress Israel"

There were two moments listening to the leadership hustings before Corbyn smashed it that made me think "uh oh".

One of them was a question Corbyn answered where he talked about Israel and he kept saying over and over "they will rue the day, rue the day!" he was talking about their actions would come back to bite them but he sounded like an old lunatic.

Incidentally the second "uh oh" was when people asked him how'd he'd counter the negative media and he said "nobody listens to them anyway"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/708990684909473792

Why are your politicians such clowns? Like seriously, he makes it sound like he is doing his homework and writing a budget is actually done by him all on his own.

All our politicans come from schools where you LARP as hogwarts students and trade bumsex to "swots" to have them write your Dark Arts homework.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

From the Times:

its.happening.gif

I'm looking forward to the tories reaching single digit popularity and still winning due to scotland and gerrymandering then having five more years of getting eaten alive and reaching sub-Major levels of popularity.

I mean naturally I'd more look forward to Labour winning but I'll take what I can get.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Paxman posted:

Nicky Morgan on Question Time seemed to hint Osborne would do a u-turn on disability cuts. Just one day after the Budget they're having to change it because their own MPs are worried about being seen to hit disabled people.

Not that this was the only bad thing in the Budget.

Was just about to post that he will U-turn on the really terrible stuff and call it listening to people, he's done it like every budget and its a basic bitch tactic when presenting stuff to people and tricking them into feeling involved.

I genuinely think the main problem in PR for this budget was the sugary drinks stuff cause even the poo poo papers can make funny headlines out if it. The scottish papers are going mental with Irn Bru puns.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

U Turning all the time isn't a great tactic though because while it disguises him as moderate it makes him look like a div or a wuss about 50% of the time and he's the heir anointed of the New Conservatives.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

UrbicaMortis posted:

I hope this move turns out to be a massive miscalculation and IDS languishes in obscurity for the rest of his career.

Oh yeah hes shown disloyalty he's not getting back in and lol he's never gonna be PM or a kingmaker. He'll probably still make a fantastic living though.

Corbyn calling for Osborne to resign while Cameron maintains a steely smile as his party collapses behind him makes me happy for Corbyn for the first time in a while.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

You understand that claiming a scalp means taking responsibly for the kill, right?

Corbyn had nothing to do with IDS quitting.

True, but hes capitalising on it pretty well. Good to see Corbs and McDonna going on the attack without throwing Maoist literature.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Not that it will matter to the 'flaps in question but its important that thread historians are able to keep track of all his backtracking, since its an amusing quality in a pedant.

Pissflaps posted:

I doubt he'll do a loving thing tbh. Probably mumble something a bit vague.

Says Mr Flaps, after asserting that a good opposition leader would do something over IDS resigning.

Half a page later when Jezza does a loving thing flaps says Osborne probably won't resign just because Jeremy says he will and therefore flaps wins.

I'd go find all the quotes but I'm writing this on the bog and I'm done now.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

so with this insane amount of infighting with the tories if having the EU referendum this year a good or bad thing with a general election a way off?

The plan is clearly to have their fighting here then win the referendum and have a few years for things to simmer down. Problem for them is that the EU referendum is likely to be as successful at that as the Scotland referendum was at quieting the SNP.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

fuctifino posted:

No, I've never had a need for a community nurse. My care needs are handled with 4-6 hrs a week care by a private company, but as there is little to no treatment avail on the NHS for CFS, I haven't used them much.

Thanks for fighting the good fight you brave, mad bastard.
Keep trying to give these government shits a brief bitter taste of actual reality. And stay safe, forum buddy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The Saurus posted:

Trump is also the only candidate other than Sanders not owned by the donor class, albeit for different reasons. Hillary uses racism and sexism to deflect questions about breaking up the banks who paid for her campaign.

This is hilarious Trump is a member of the donor class.

Trump's "bit" is to be as bad a candidate as possible and tank the republicans while getting richer and more famous. Voting for him as a "gently caress you lol" is stupid but understandable, I honestly don't get how anyone smart enough to write sentences online would actually vote for Trump unless it's a prank on your own country and yourself.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Cerv posted:

Shut the gently caress up about the American poo poo all of you

Please

whoops, okay how about some Tory rags tearing into some Tory 'rags?

Daily Mail: IDS slams George Osborne for putting rich Tory voters ahead of the working poor as he plunges the Conservative Party into the worst civil war since the 1990s despite claiming he did NOT quit over Europe

quote:

Iain Duncan Smith today condemned George Osborne for savaging the working poor at the expense of wealthy Tory-voting pensioners.

Despite insisting his bombshell resignation was not 'personal', the former work and pensions secretary used his first interview since walking out of David Cameron's government to warn last week's Budget was 'unfair' to the disabled.

Mr Duncan Smith said the Government was abandoning the 'one nation' message that was at the heart of Mr Cameron's re-election campaign amid a furious row over disability benefits.

But as the Tories descended into the worst bout of infighting since the dying days of John Major's Government in the 1990s, Mr Duncan Smith faced allegations he had quit because of Europe.

A furious Downing Street sent out Energy Secretary Amber Rudd to condemn Mr Duncan Smith. She told Sky News she resented his 'high moral tone' and later said he had not been a 'spectator' during six years of controversial spending cuts.

Yess

Telegraph: Iain Duncan Smith embarrasses David Cameron - and gives Jeremy Corbyn a lesson

quote:

After the events of the last three days, surely every Labour member can now see what a mistake they made last September. They should never have chosen Jeremy Corbyn as their leader.

Instead, they should have chosen Iain Duncan Smith.

Put it this way. Ever since he was elected, Jeremy Corbyn has been saying that a) David Cameron and George Osborne should stop prioritising deficit clearance above all else, no matter the human cost; b) they should stop cutting benefits for working-age claimants while protecting the better off; and c) they show little interest in the lives of people who don’t vote Conservative. Day after day, week after week, Mr Corbyn has made all those points – and yet hardly anyone listened.

Now that Mr Duncan Smith has made the exact same points, however, everyone is listening. This kind of talent for seizing the news agenda and panicking the Government is precisely what the Opposition is crying out for. If I were a senior figure in the Labour Party, I would lose no time in sounding out Mr Duncan Smith about a possible leadership bid.

Since electing a leftwing opposition leader left wing ideas have suddenly started getting time in the press, what a poo poo choice that was!

e: Erry day I think Corbs ain't doing his job right I imagine Andy or Yvette trying to do the same and lol.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 20, 2016

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

So Osborne's basically out of the leadership race and he's (James) Murdoch's golden boy, I don't know if the actual Tory membership likes Boris enough and after that you've got Gove and May who are basically beneath consideration.

Who the gently caress is gonna win this thing? I think maybe a dark horse candidate. That or Bojo but I don't think he can actually win a general, he'd have swept it in 2010 but hes not as much of a LEJEEERND now.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Dabir posted:

Build a big wall around the edges! And reinstate National Service to find people to do it! Are Boys!

It'll be built by people on workfare working for free for a giant, incompetent foreign company that doesn't pay its taxes, then it'll be manned by G4S.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Seems like the list was probably made up by some of Jezza's enthusiastic core supporters quite possibly without his knowledge and got leaked out a while ago and as people say is being used now because Cam needs a break.
Still a loving silly thing to let slip but its not exactly important and the media doesn't seem to be running with it much. It has given them an excuse to stop talking about the budget though. I don't think anybody gives much of a poo poo about PMQs and the only people I know who do watch it seem to always think their side won the day anyway.

Nothing to have a thread civil war over. Especially since Labour are still about two hundred times better off now than they were a couple months ago.

Its hugely unlikely Corbyn will win in 2020, he likes Jam and isn't very Prime Ministerial, now we've got that out of the way lets go back to enjoying watching the tories self-destruct because they feel they are unstoppable and so can now get down to their favourite past-time of backstabbing eachother over who is the biggest immoral idiot. "Me, no me!"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

It'll do no damage to Corbyn, but it's pushing "Tories try to starve disabled to death" out the headlines.

A little but it was mostly Brussels that did that.

Remains to be seen how long the news can string this into a crisis for Labour by using it to bait the Blairites though and I will be a pessimist and predict that the Blairites will jump at the bait and hoot and swing around parliament for a bit over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

At least the worst dirt they seem to have on Corbyn is that hes boring, had sex with a black woman and that he thinks hostile MPs are hostile to him and hey, let the tories spend their ammo this early.

I went into a political fugue state ages ago and am looking forward to the hilarious trainwreck the next 9 years of tory government are going to be, gently caress all else to do but enjoy it however you can. Their leadership election is going to be even better than the US one, they have no candidates and much of their policy has been predicated on doing as much damage as possible before they got voted out in 2015, since that didn't happen all their chickens are going to start coming home and its going to be brilliant (not for the country or people but that goes without saying with Tory governments).

Now, if I was disabled on the other hand I'd be looking up how to make a Sten gun right about now.

• Locked thread