Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I'd love to see Apple just go nuclear and threaten to stop selling the iPhone in the UK.

They aren't that important to total UK phone sales or anything economically threatening, but I'd love to see how the optics play out for the Tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Milotic posted:

FT is claiming Osborne has scrapped the biggest part of his planned changes for pension: FT paywall. No changes to tax relief in the budget.

I'm pleased for two reasons, 1) I'm a selfish bastard and I would have likely been worse off, 2) it probably would have reduced pension savings - would you trust a future government not to also tax your pension when you use it as well as when you contributed towards it? I wouldn't, and I suspect a lot of people wouldn't. Certainly not amongst our generation, we're too used to the idea of being stuffed over in order to prop up the previous generation.

He's done this will the past several budgets, where he announces something that gets the Telegraph reading crowd in a tizz because it targets the Tory voter demographic. Then it miraculously gets dropped so he can reference that it was dropped during the statement to the house and make the rest of it not look so bad.

I wonder what shaftings will get an easy ride in the press this time around.....

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Milotic posted:

Have you any specific examples out of curiosity. I'd argue the tax credits u turn probably wasn't the core Tory base, more the people who want to be Tories. Though it does help with making a show of unity and compromise in the run up to the referendum. So you could well be right, but it is also aimed at the Brexit MPs as well.

Tax credits was the most obvious one.

The other that comes to mind was the proposed alcohol duty hike in 2013 (?) where they had been leaking it to the press in the weeks ahead, then at the budget statement Osbourne annouced instead of a hike he was actually going to cut beer duty by 1p in the pound. Hey presto every news bulletin that day and the following papers lead with the majority of the budget story dedicated to "penny off the pint" and not the heinous cuts to local government funding.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Academisation sounds like the dead cat they want to use to distract Labour and the media from the budget. There is no real reason to announce it at the same time because its not a budget dependent measure.

• Locked thread