Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kegluneq posted:

Dredd 2. Balls.

Dredd 2: Balls?

Dredd is an excellent film, but Mad Max is a level beyond simply because of how much it accomplishes with so little dialogue. Miller's a miracle worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Coohoolin posted:

I don't know, I was being tongue in cheek and couldn't be arsed finding the right emoticon to express that. I suspect that Tesseraction is correct though and Dredd came out before gamergate, IIRC.

Dredd's much much more obscure. Unsurprisingly that's important.

Taear posted:

I liked force awakens better than Mad Max. Probably because I didn't get to see Mad Max in the cinema.
Nah it's because you like a bad film better than a great one :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Taear posted:

Didn't have enough rowing. More rowing.

What an odd thing to want in a Mad Max film, but there's no accounting for taste.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kegluneq posted:

As opposed to all the wordy exposition in Dredd?

Well, yeah, in comparison.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Renfield posted:

It was a :mediocre: film, but it did the job of removing the bad taste the prequals left for most fans.

The prequels were bad, but they were bad trying to tell a different story. Admittedly most fans just want the same ideas regurgitated again and again (see: the books and the myriad superweapons) but a Star Wars film every year for the next millennium is not likely to produce anything than mediocre pap.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

I seem to be very much in a minority at SA

In general, it was exceptionally well received.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I miss the days when all films were 90 minutes long.

What days were those then?

http://www.randalolson.com/2014/01/25/movies-arent-actually-much-longer-than-they-used-to-be/

hookerbot 5000 posted:

And I thought Mad Max Fury Road was okay, but I had no idea what was going on for a lot of it.

In a literal sense (don't understand the action) or in a more general sense? The latter makes sense, there's a huge amount of non-verbal story telling that you tend not to need to pay attention to with action films.

(Fury Road takes great pains to have the thing you'll be focusing on at the end of one shot be the same point where you need to pay attention to in the next shot. It's really brilliantly done)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

I can understand people in their 40s getting a nice bit of nostalgia from the old toys and the films but those aren't the people I mean. It's the people who go way beyond nostalgia and spend serious money on memorabilia while arguing about lore minuteae over the internet I don't get. Nerding over good things is one thing, but I just don't know why you'd do it over an objectively bad franchise. Star Wars is a bad franchise but seems to have an absolute fuckton of fanboys.

For example this deeply troubling couple who recently became E/N stars: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319

There's a huge amount of merchandise, it's easy to understand, it's popular. People nerd out about the latest Transformers films and they've infinitely worse than any of the Star Wars films.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

hookerbot 5000 posted:

"1985-2000

Between 1985-2000, feature films grew back to the same length as in the 1960’s. This may explain why it’s usually Millennials (born 1980-2000) complaining that movies have gotten longer than they used to be: If you grew up watching movies in the 1980’s, they have gotten longer for you! Meanwhile, Generation Xers are shaking their head at Millennials wondering what the heck they’re talking about (as usual)."

The 1980's apparently. Though it could be selection bias.

From an average of 110 minutes to 120 minutes; the 1930's were the last time

hookerbot 5000 posted:

all films were 90 minutes long

Don't forget that children's films tend to be shorter, too. Kids in the nineties didn't watch A Few Good Men (138 minutes), we watched Aladdin (90 minutes).

Although Home Alone loving 2 was 2 hours long so god knows.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

i did. it was my favourite movie. My favourite bit is at the end whee the hero says "thank god we had a few good men".

You want a few good men? You can't handle a few good men

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

A guy called Vader being some main characters' dad.

He was called Darth Vader before he was some character's dad, that's just coincidence.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Given Lucas's love for dumb naming I can't believe he didn't have all that planned in advance.

The Adventures of Luke Starkiller as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars

That was the name of the final pre-production draft of the film that simply became known as "Star Wars". Planning wasn't his thing (also, in the first draft of Empire Luke's father appeared as a ghost which kiboshes all the planned out stuff)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

It's a hell of a read. Seriously everyone should read it.

The gist is: 'I want to have a kid but I just can't seem to save any money up, please help me budget. My monthly expenses are $1.5k on the mortgage, $1k on food (can't cook lol), $500 on other poo poo, and another $1.5k on loving star wars toys and band merch'.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Manic X posted:

Neither have I yet; I'm not sure I'll enjoy a silent protagonist. It's just popped up on rainierland so I may spare it a watch this week.

Furiosa speaks a load!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Why did he change it to the first one being part IV?

Supposedly, when he decided that Vader was Luke's father when writing The Empire Strikes Back he got so excited at the implied back story he changed it from part II to part V, with Star Wars being renamed "Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope" in its 1981 rerelease.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nothing can match the absurdity that is Kit Fisto

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

The natural gas supply will probably have run out by then, forcing a return to town gas, so there's always that.

Or a return to Gas town?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I didn't enjoy rugby at school and was v happy I was able to stop doing it after a month because of my very flat feet

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

tooterfish posted:

I didn't ask about sports, I asked about Rugby.

I live literally smack in the middle of Rugby League's heartlands. I know for a fact that Rugby isn't compulsory in schools here. And if it isn't here, I seriously have a hard time believing it is anywhere else.

Afaik schools tend to play union so you being in Leeds or whatever doesn't have much bearing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

It's amazing to me that a country like America can have a multiple mass murders a year

"Multiple a year" is understating the situation dramatically. In February, the number of mass shootings was approximately one a day (with 5 on the 20th alone).

Renaissance Robot posted:

Speaking of guns, how dumb would it be to start a discussion in here on the subject "I want to see a review of gun law because I'd quite like to try the olympic sport of pistol shooting without having to leave the country to do so"?

Pretty dumb as you can "try the olympic sport of pistol shooting" just fine in the UK.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Strictly speaking objects orbit around the barycenter of their system, if the Earth orbits the Sun then the opposite is also true.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

you are kapparomeo and i claim my five pounds

I didn't know kapparomeo's thing was criticising British imperialism but there you go

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

How is saying that the Irish famine was caused by "English lords stealing all the food (who then wrote letters to parliament saying how ungrateful the Irish were)" anything that our Stiggy chum would say, ever?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

Kapparomeo is the one writing the letter jesus loving christ are you dense

But you said "You are Kapparomeo and I claim my five pounds" to OwlFancier and OwlFancier wasn't writing the letter.

In conclusion, compose your jokes better.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

How about you just stop being autistic

Accusing someone of having a disability as an insult, classy. Go back to Europol!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

Interesting that you think i'm "accusing" you of being autistic. Get back in your bunker, literally-hitler

Are you so thin skinned you can't have someone criticising your phrasing of a joke without melting down?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Good....good. Only two others could have challenged me for the Hollywood blowjob queen crown and they're arguing with each other over who is most autistic. Everything is falling in to place

Hollywood or Holyrood

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Seaside Loafer posted:

If you are going to have a go at MrL_JaKiri id pick the oxbridge rower who waltzed into a full years work experience at a software development company in his gap year angle

??? Everything after "rower" isn't true so

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rowing has both working class and upper class roots - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggett%27s_Coat_and_Badge vs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henley_Royal_Regatta (ie professionalism vs amateurism, and only the wealthy could afford to be amateurs).

Seaside Loafer posted:

Oh ok, im willing to accept my memory is inaccurate, it often is, and im not about to go off on an autistic (hehe) post searching mission at this time of night!

Didn't have a gap year, I did work at a tech company as a scientist/software guy but that was after graduating.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

How do they get the jobs then? Nepotism? Occult ritual?

You tend to just need some maths (so a science, maths, etc) rather than an economics degree. Most bankers don't actually do anything skilled.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

It lacks a Fluo Memorial Bursary.

Memorial Bar-sary

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Party Boat posted:

A stottie cake is not the same as a bread bun

Nor is a lardy cake, or half the things on there.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

Happy International "When's International Men's Day?" Day, comrades.

http://www.theonion.com/article/white-history-year-resumes-139

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

twitter.com/Herring1967

Richard Herring replying to everyone who posts about International Men's Day????? on twitter remains fantastic.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I saw some nonsense along these lines in the Times the other. Something about a homeless man in a town somewhere making £500 a day. What the gently caress? Where is all this bollocks coming from and why now?

Why do you think?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

The author has a twitter i'll find it when i get to work and onto a computer. Phone postinv at moment.

Adam Perkins, lecturer in neurobiology at Kings College London

Adam Perkins should be printed on posters and given to first year students. "If I can make it as an academic at a well regarded institution, anyone can!"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

Being able to buy Pringles at 3am on any day of the week is a hallmark of civilisation.

The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tesla was right posted:

That notable UKMT hivemind where everyone has the same opinions on Sunday trading. Yep, no disagreement at all.

They're right in general that the thread has generally got more of the Liberal style "10° to the left of centre unless it affects me personally" in the last few years.

eg. The titillation over saying a discriminatory word earlier today.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

Let me help you out with the part where you're going wrong here.

All of it. You are full of poo poo, this is nothing even close to an argument that anyone has made in the thread.

What's the point of having a day off if there's nothing open? If things are open, then guess what? Some poor bastards are at work, making that happen. Just like some poor bastards are going to need to be at work on a Sunday anyway because a lot of things don't care what day of the week it is and will happen and need to be dealt with regardless.

No-one's saying "gently caress those proles, they should be open for my convenience and not get compensated a single penny more for doing it." Pretty much everyone has suggested that in fact we do need to pay people more for working on days like Xmas eve and boxing day etc. I award you three Pissflaps out of seven for arguments in bad faith.

ironicat.jpg, both for misrepresenting his argument and for putting forward the argument you're claiming no-one's making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Some people prefer time off in the week for whatever reason, but the vast majority of people - especially those with families, who have to work around the school week - need time off at the weekend. That some people have to work at the weekend is not a good reason to justify more people having to work at the weekend, that's the definition of a race to the bottom.

• Locked thread