Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jedit posted:

I have no problem with di Caprio getting the Oscar. He's been nominated six times and deserved the award on two of them.

It does feel like he's got it this time because "he just should" although the best actor crop this time isn't exactly brilliant.

I dunno if it's just a british thing but as stuff ramped up in Revenant and he kept having worse and worse things happen people in my cinema were laughing because it Went Too Far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Funny thing is, if you check out Hugh Glass's Wikipedia article, that's pretty much what actually happened to the poor dude.

He couldn't walk in real life. Nor did he have a son! And he didn't kill the bear on his own. Loads of it isn't really real to make it worse.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

Dredd didn't manage to piss off MRAs as much as Mad Max did and is therefore the inferior film.

I liked force awakens better than Mad Max. Probably because I didn't get to see Mad Max in the cinema.

And TFA is an awesome way to see how many people secretly believe women can't do what men can do.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nah it's because you like a bad film better than a great one :v:

Didn't have enough rowing. More rowing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nothing can match the absurdity that is Kit Fisto

I really love the name Sio Bibble. Kit Fisto is good but man, Sio Bibble.

I just watched last week's question time and people constantly harping on about "losing democracy to the EU" drive me mad. I don't understand why nobody - not even the pro EU people on the panel, few as they are - ever says that if you're mad about Slovakia having a say in the EU parliament and us only having "a little" then you should be mad that Liverpool only has a little bit of say in the Parliament of the UK or any number of smaller bodies having a say in a bigger one.

And then they're all banging on about infrastructre and immigration and not once does anyone ever say "Well we need to spend on infrastructure". It's baffling, what the gently caress is wrong with Question time?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

The problem with the lack of democracy in the EU isn't that Slovakia has a say, it's that bodies like the European Round Table of Industrialists, which seems purposefully named to sound like a cross between a movie supervillain club and perfect conspiracy fodder, gets a disproportionate say. As do many other lobby organizations that purposefully exclude workers, small businesses, and the precariat.

Nobody talks about that though, because it would be inconvenient to the Tories of both In and Out varieties who want the exact same thing in the UK, and already do so via more informal channels.

That's less a problem with the EU and more just a general problem with modern capitalism. Or post capitalism or whatever the gently caress you want to call it.

In a similar vein it's annoying that so many people say they don't know and can't make up their minds and need something to come out to look at. There's plenty of stuff to look at about it. But because it isn't just an easy "Yes it's good" or "Yes it's bad" that somehow means there's no answer and we're just flailing in the dark.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tigey posted:

For right or wrong, most people still view national governments and Parliaments (even after things like the Expenses scandal) as the most legitimate level of government. A significant (probably overwhelming) majority of people in the EU don't really think of themselves as "Europeans" first and foremost. They identify and think of themselves as Germans, French or Greeks first, and as Europeans second.

I watched a documentary by Boris Johnson of all people about this. He wanted to solve it by having a "European Emperor". I'd always thought he was pro EU because of that - sure it's dumb but it meant he wanted a more unified europe.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

Remember when they blocked Pirate Bay and solved piracy forever

I find it really weird that they haven't blocked Showbox. Since it's easy to use and a lot of people use it and don't even consider it piracy since they can get it as an app or whatever.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zephro posted:

They haven't even blocked The Pirate Bay. Now you just get a site with a huge list of proxies for it instead.

Maybe for you, I have to specifically google the proxy site!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So for those of you who hate yourselves and therefore watch question time:

What the hell is it people are expecting when they say they haven't had enough information about the EU? It always feels like they just want to be given a direct answer of which is better without realising the whole reason there's a vote is that there ISN'T a direct answer.
I really can't wrap my head around the people who, when there's a disagreement around something, decide that both sides are wrong and there isn't an answer.

poo poo like that is why direct democracy wouldn't really work.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Yes. That's what they want.

I worry that these people will vote leave because they don't understand the whole debate and I don't think you can ever get across to them what's actually going on because they just want an answer with no thought.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Do you worry more or less about that than them voting remain because they don't understand the whole debate and it's the 'status quo' option?

Oh, it's guardian dot txt then.

I'm fine with them voting Remain because that's the outcome I want, of course.

I mean in a perfect world they'd have an informed opinion but it just doesn't seem to work.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

So you're okay with low information voters as long as they're on your team?

I kneejerked with remain at first because it was the safe status-quo option and most of the people agitating for leave were unpleasant, but upon trying to find a lot more information about the great European experiment on a global scale, I'm tending more towards leave now.

I'd rather the low information remain voters did the same, but I'd also rather that the low information leave voters doing it on the basis of '50 billion Turkmen invading are NHS' didn't vote at all. And stayed at home. And moved their home to Australia. Or the Mariana Trench.

No I'm not okay with it, but if there's got to be an outcome I'd rather the outcome be a good one.

I know the left wing argument of wanting to leave because the EU does Bad Things but I don't believe these bad things are going to stop if the EU collapses and it'll directly make the life of me and other people worse if it did without an improvement in the lives of the those the EU is bad for.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

The EU's probably going to collapse anyway.

I'd rather not be part of a political union that allows fascists like Poland and Hungary in and is considering letting literally-stole-the-election Erdogan's Turkey in.

The reason that the EU can't do anything about Poland and Hungary is because it isn't allowed to have that sort of power because people scream about sovereignty. What would you like it to do with that in mind?

And yea there's no chance modern Turkey is getting into the EU.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Antares posted:

The EU are more than willing to overrule a national government if they find it sufficiently distasteful. Fascism and racism don't meet that criterion but leftist economics certainly does

Citation needed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Namtab posted:

Greek economic policy

That wasn't the EU. It was the EU central bank. You can't tie the euro bailout to the EU as a whole - especially not to this vote since it doesn't actually affect us. The stuff in Portugal and Greece wasn't to do with the governments trying to become left wing and then being told "no you can't" it was being forced to sell assets to pay for their debt.
I don't support the idea of that but it's still not a comparible situation to what's happened in Poland and Hungary.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pesmerga posted:

EU with fiscal transfer, rather than leaving, where all the poo poo aspects of the EU will get magnified because it's quite often the UK pushing them.

So many of the bad fiscal decisions that the EU makes - like not closing tax havens - are down to us pressuring for the "City of London".

And no. You moved the goalposts. I said the EU can't stop what happened in Poland and Hungary. The counter was that they'd stopped leftist governments. And they haven't. As Persmerga said, the EU didn't stop any governments turning to the left.
It's a different argument. You can argue against what the eurozone has done all you want but that's not the EU as a whole.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

At least it's not as bad as

I'm from Derbyshire and everyone I knew said "Muffin".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Hey you can't make a chip muffin with those

Even though I say muffin we still said "Chip barm".

That difference always confused me although usually the barms were bigger and flatter so I just assumed that must be why.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Welp I've finally broken my vow of not getting into big political rows with strangers on facebook after seeing a 'friend' of a friend ranting about how homeless people make roughly a quid a minute. Time to lose some facebook 'friends'.

If being homeless and/or unemployed is so good why is everyone not homeless and/or unemployed?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Glad to see Europhile leaning stockport!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cerv posted:

Doesn't matter if IPSO don't even rule on the matter till after June

Once something's said, that's it. It's so frustrating that the press really can just say whatever they want and nothing happens at all.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

For an episode in Dundee that sure was a crowd of people that didn't like the SNP. And it felt like they were from all over the country - even a Welsh guy!
How do they find these people?

Also the Tory lady seemed to speak absolutely loads, it felt like hers was the party of government there, Labour barely said a word.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I don't get it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Does anyone know about any research done into the 118 services? I've read some guardian articles about them being fined and a Daily Heil about the cost of 118 going up but I can't find anyone investigating them.

Our local MPs are looking into it after lots of complaints from customers and it seems mad that it's not happened before since it disproportinately affects older people since young ones will just look up the number they need online!

On this day in 1950 Californium was created, forever giving people that are bad at chemistry a good answer in Pointless.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

Why are you people not electing a government that fixes the problem of "relatively fixed supply of housing in the UK"? It seems like that would fix a lot of problems of on your island.

Because the vast majority of voters don't know anything and are pretty invested in making sure their house increases in value as time goes on. Building more houses means lower house prices.
So it must be the fault of immigrants, we're full.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TinTower posted:

I liked Paul Daniels. Not a lot, but I liked him.

Paul Daniels was an enormous donor to the Tories and was a huge bootstrap dick. I know you're just saying his catchphrase but him dying is definitely not a tragedy.
Watch him on Louis Theroux.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

I skipped a few pages, so I'm not sure if anyone's posted this video of Gideon trying to interact with children. "Do you do the football and the rugby?"

Is it anywhere other than facebook so those of us who are at work can have a look?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Of course by that point the police and army will be joint stock corporations with extensive contracts between them and the legislature so they will force us to listen anyway otherwise we get put in G4S Human Resource Management Centres. :woop:

Amazon Presents: The Derbyshire Police
Reading you your rights and handing you a catalogue in case you'd like to purchase anything while renting a prison cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Venmoch posted:

In further "2016 can eat a buffet of dicks" news:

Ronnie Corbett has died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35934024

It's a shame. Even recently he's done some good stuff - I really liked him in Burke and Hare even though the film itself was atrocious.

• Locked thread