Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Isn't that movie "on hold" (i.e. getting cancelled the moment they have the opportunity)? I thought their idea just didn't come to fruition at all, so they delayed it beyond Infinity War so they could just go "well we tried" later.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

Isn't that movie "on hold" (i.e. getting cancelled the moment they have the opportunity)? I thought their idea just didn't come to fruition at all, so they delayed it beyond Infinity War so they could just go "well we tried" later.

Well I was kinda right, but it actually suffered a worse fate than cancellation: being on ABC.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Equeen posted:

I get that the movie crew wanted to give Batgirl more agency, but man there had to be a million other less sleazy ways to do it.

And this isn't the first time a romantic Batman/Batgirl relationship came up in a Bruce Timm animated movie! :psyduck:

I watched the hbg video and every time it showed that little clip of Batgirl and Batman about to bone down I cringed. That is grody as gently caress

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dexo posted:

International Trailer is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi8UF0lbJI8

It's slightly different.

This one is way more like a traditional action movie, the other one is really playing up the high school stuff. I love MGMT but I also love Demi Lovato, but the music is more well integrated in the Demi Lovato one.

Either way, the trailer is good enough to make me reconsider being mad that Andrew Garfield isn't Spider-Man any more. And Keaton looks dope as hell.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I might be insane but some of the action also reminded me a lot of ASM.

And having read Miles series back when it started, is kind of weird how much they're cribbing from there. Like you could swap Peter for Miles and there wouldn't be a significant change.

actually there would be a very huge change: a bunch of dumb angry white people yelling all the time

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Brother Entropy posted:

do they actually show it? that's the one spidey film i skipped out on

Yup, and that noise it made will haunt your dreams for a few days afterwords. The sound design in ASM2 was much better than most of the rest of that movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Yeah, I think this idea of "getting Spider-Man back to his roots" is kinda weird nostalgia twisting reality. Like I had a friend who talked about how great it is that Spider-Man is a *kid* instead of Andrew Garfield who was clearly an 29 year old playing a high schooler, which, while the latter is true, the only time Spider-Man has ever been genuinely young instead of an 18 year old on the verge of graduating is Ultimate Spider-Man (which apparently people hate when they try to make it into a movie) and currently, but with Miles (which will probably never be a movie because people suck).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

This is what happens when you live in a hotel and then a cruise ship your entire life: you become an asexual emo kid in an Archie TV show.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

This show has some pretty big shoes to fill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBojt6fDVvw

Eminem is not worth the untold hate crimes that white people have committed against hip-hop.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I can tell when someone is cribbing their opinions from some dumbshit YouTube thinkpiece because it's the exact same kind of language propagations that you get from Fox News watchers. One of the popular ones says the movie has "toxic masculinity" and literally overnight that becomes a go-to descriptor for every two bit Red Letter Media worshipping dipshit.

Also, dour, grimdark *and* humorless. That's like saying that guy is stupid, dumb, and idiotic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I can't wait for this either, Geoff, but probably not for the same reason.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gyges posted:

Guy Ritchie's King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword is going to ruin the chances of an Arthurian Epic for at least another decade.

if we can get three different Spider-Men in less than a decade we can get two Arthur movies, especially if they're directed by two guys as different as Richie and Snyder.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I love the genuine disgust in his voice as he mentions that interview. I think he really did like making BvS and was genuinely bummed that it was so poorly received.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gyges posted:

I've never seen anyone hate ketchup so much.

ketchup is a food abomination and an affront to god

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Scyantific posted:

Honestly I would have zero issues with this. All of the stuff he's directed for DCTV has been pretty good.

yeah because he is not let anywhere near the script and because the requirements for "TV director" are basically "working voicebox to tell people where to stand" and "ability to tell if everyone in the shot needs to be in the shot, and that everyone who needs to be in the shot is in the shot". Smith's episodes look like everyone else's, which is his job. Kevin Smith should not be let anywhere near the director's chair of a comic book movie and honestly I think the man himself would say the same thing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I like Watchmen decently, and I don't really get why people's esteem of it has dropped so sharply. Is it as good as the comic? gently caress no. Is it also pretty much the best adaptation of the comic we could ever reasonably get? Yep.

Yeah, Watchmen is one of those thing that is so connected with its medium that it would be really hard into a truly classic movie, but Snyder gave as good a shot as anyone could have. I always say that regardless of how much you like the movie, it's easy to think that it's the best Watchmen movie possible.

In other news, Doug Benson is the voice of Bane in Lego Batman, which is really really funny to me and a very small segment of other people.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm gonna hope that Logan and Lego Batman do well and DC finally says "gently caress it, we've got a Batman for kids, R-rated comic book movies can bring in dough, we're gonna go full-on Dark Knight Returns with this poo poo" and get Clint Eastwood and Darren Aranofsky like they wanted to 10 years ago.

fake edit: i mean poo poo Keaton's old enough to do it himself, drag Nicholson out of mothballs and you've got yourself a spectacle.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hey everyone, shut the gently caress up about Lego and congratulate WB/DC on making the right decision for the new Batman director.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh also I wanted to call out this as being the best description of the two cuts I've seen and right in line with my feelings. The theater cut was a better overall movie I thought but the ultimate cut had some really cool stuff (journalist Clark subplot, Batman infiltrating Lexcorp, Communion) at the expense of a clunkier cut.

Yeah. I'm really glad the Ultimate Cut exists because it fills in a lot of blanks, but when I go back and watch BvS, I watch the theatrical, I like how it flows better.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The review embargo for Logan just ended, and everyone is pretty happy with how it turned out.

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/832703734937313280
https://twitter.com/ew/status/832703844790452225
https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/832705591617286144
https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/832704600587112449

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

This actually looks like it could be pretty good. I like that they're highlighting the humor of the movie, because it could definitely have been a very joyless affair, or worse, something that goes too far in the kid-humor direction. I'm optimistic because I would like a live action Power Rangers movie in TYOOL 2017 to be good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

New GOTG2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGqrYw4usE

That's another Vin Diesel movie about "family".

The settings and backdrops in this trailer are gorgeous, I think this is going to be a very pretty movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The one in that picture is definitely Black Mask, but Mr. Bones is the one who showed up all the time in the old Suicide Squad comics, so I'm a little confused too.

Ayer's next movie is gonna be Gotham City Sirens though, not the next Suicide Squad, so it makes more sense for it to be Black Mask.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

20+ years of LGBT progress, as shown by a children's television franchise.

Early 1990s:

quote:

In an announcement that will shock many of you — TO YOUR CORE — 41-year-old actor David Yost, who played the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers‘ Billy Cranston (aka Blue Ranger), has come out.

But that’s not where the story ends. Yost says he quit the show because he was harassed over his sexuality. “Creators, producers, writers, directors” all threw the F-word around at him. Yost, whose character was written out in subsequent franchise incarnations, reveals in a lengthy interview that he “walked off set one day in the middle of lunch,” a move he had been thinking about for about a week. “Continuing to work in an environment like that is really difficult. I myself was struggling with who I was, or what I was, and to be made fun of on some level, or to be stereotyped, or put into a category … I was continually being told I’m not worthy of where I am because I’m quote-unquote a gay person and I’m not supposed to be an actor and can’t be a superhero.” His co-stars, Yost says, were beckoned into producers’ offices on multiple occasions to be quizzed about his sexuality.

And after leaving the show, everything was swell? No. He spent two years trying to “pray the gay away,” had a nervous break down, checked himself into a mental hospital for five weeks, and upon his release he moved to Mexico for a year. “It frustrated me that I hated myself on such a level that I couldn’t accept myself.”

2017:

quote:

THR brings word that part of Power Rangers’ human element involves the Yellow Ranger, Trini (played by actress Becky G), coming to terms with her sexual orientation. In one scene, a character assumes Trini is having “boyfriend problems,” but quickly comes to realize that she’s having “girlfriend problems.” Director Dean Israelite explains what he thinks is one of the movie’s “pivotal” moments:

“For Trini, really she’s questioning a lot about who she is. She hasn’t fully figured it out yet. I think what’s great about that scene and what that scene propels for the rest of the movie is, ‘That’s OK.’ The movie is saying, ‘That’s OK,’ and all of the kids have to own who they are and find their tribe.”

Actress Thuy Trang played Trini in the ’90s TV series, and the character was depicted as straight, so this is new ground for the franchise, let alone for the genre as a whole. Discussion about diversity and inclusion has been ramping up in a big way in Hollywood over the past couple of years, so it’s promising to see studios including gay characters in big $100 million-plus budget blockbusters. Even Disney is joining the party; as you’ve undoubtedly heard, LeFou is gay in the new Beauty and the Beast (a reveal that could have been handled more elegantly, but at least it was well-intentioned).

Hopefully, this is just the latest step on the path toward gay characters being included in major movies often enough that it’ll become commonplace and we’ll no longer even need to write articles like this one.

Right now, though, this news sounds like it could run the risk of being a double-edged sword. I haven’t seen the new film yet, but from those quotes and the trailers we’ve seen, it seems as if this incarnation of Power Rangers is leaning into the idea of these characters being outcasts, which contrasts with the overly cheerful, carefree Rangers we saw in the TV series and 1995’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie. If this film treats Trini as an outcast solely because of her sexuality, that could add to the already-tired trope that being gay automatically means there’s something wrong with her. This means it’s the film’s job to dispel this myth. Hey, no one said social righteousness was easy.

It seems like the film has the stamp of approval from a key player in the franchise’s history. David Yost, the actor who starred as Billy, the original Blue Ranger, in the TV show and movie, is openly gay and actually ended up leaving the show because of harassment he received due to his sexual orientation. But he’s seen the new film and appreciates the way it handles Trini’s character:

“They really stepped up to the plate. I think so many people in the LGBTQI community are going to be excited to see that representation.”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I'll take Superman: The Movie over any other Superman film, but that line and specifically Costner's delivery is maybe my favourite moment from any of the movies.

It's kind of like Peter Parker's dancing down the street in Spider-Man 3 in the realm of things that, on their face seem really dumb, but if you take like, 10 seconds to think about them, they're not. If someone tells you "but Superman's dad told him he shouldn't save drowning people!" or "Spider-Man danced down the street like an awkward weirdo" you think "oh that sounds dumb,'" but when you watch the scenes it comes together.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

So Zack just needs to find a place for Malin Akerman, Jackie Earl Haley and Matthew Goode and he'll have gotten the entire Watchmen into the DC Films one way or another.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Watchmen is a DC film so he already did

har har mr nitpicker

I meant the DCEU. Unless Snyder wants to pull a 2016 DC Comics and just connect Watchmen to Justice League by having Flash's dad also be Dr. Manhattan.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Many DC fans have sent death threats to critics for not liking the films.

"many"? or "a nut job"?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Spider-Man1-3 are still their three biggest films and Amazing Spider-Man is their 5th biggest so it's pretty obvious why they'd be super desperate to do everything possible to get that cash cow back on its feet and then back under their control, they don't really have a lot else going for them.

Edit: remember how Amazing Spider-Man 2 was such a massive disappointment that it completely derailed all their plans for sequels and spinoffs for years until they made that deal with Marvel? It's still their biggest film of the last 5 years. THey genuinely don't have anything better.

Their list of biggest box office hits is just bizarre. 1984 Ghostbusters and Tootsie are still in their top 20 list and that's without adjusting for inflation. :v:.

Men In Black, Hancock and Hitch are also still in their top 20 so they must be really disappointed that Will Smith is moving towards making superhero movies with other studios. I guess at least they've signed him up for a few Bad Boys sequels.

Sony's other tried-and-true money maker was Adam Sandler but it looks like Netflix lured him away.

Edit: their remakes of Ghosbusters and Total Recall made less money than the original films and Robocop only made $5m more than the original, and that's without adjusting for inflation. :psyduck:

I don't think it can be overstated just how thin the ice Sony Pictures is standing on is. They haven't had a genuine box office smash in a long-rear end time, the leaks/The Interview stuff completely trashed their reputation here and in Asia (remember that Sony is the only major picture house that isn't owned by an American conglomerate), and the larger Sony conglomerate is in some harder times and looking for any reason to sell off completely.

Their next year is Spider-Man, Dark Tower, Smurfs, and a bunch of other stuff that is unlikely to come and bust open the box office (Jumanji reboot, Blade Runner sequel, Emojimovie). If nothing in that group lights the world on fire, I think 5 years from now we might see Spider-Man back in the hands of Marvel Studios for good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

What about Blubberella.

that movie is not set in space, it is set in nazi-occupied Germany because Uwe Boll is lazyproductive and decided to make a movie about a super-fat superheroine while making a serious movie about Auschwitz. It is also apparently a shot-for-shot spoof of his own, actual nazi action movie, BloodRayne: The Third Reich, filmed on the same set.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I forgot how cool the webbing in the Raimi Spider-Man movies was. It looks way more like actual spider webbing than the later ones, which look more like wiring or vaguely natural rope. It adds a dimension to the "natural web shooting" vs "homemade web shooting" debate that doesn't exist as much in the comics.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Zzulu posted:

These are way too positive

They always are.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

I can't help but laugh every time I see, "...tell that to Zods snapped neck!"

I hope whenever wrote that still gets poo poo.

well let me make you l out l

and for you who don't have a weird reaction to a dumb internet invoke, here is what I think of whenever I hear "cloak and dagger". yes it is exactly what you are expecting, also NWS for humorous cartoon breasts

edit: if I had motivation and skills at gif-making I'd replace my awesome picture of Chris Reeve and Terry Stamp with that gif of Zack Snyder gleefully showing Cavill how to snap a neck with style

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Time to roll out the big guns.

The irony here is that the EpII pic looks way more like a comic book than the Guardians one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

SleepCousinDeath posted:

being drunk and watching Pineapple Express at 60 FPS is not fun

I see your Pineapple Express and I raise you White Girls, which actually changes the movie a great deal, because the makeup that the Wayanses wear looks like a loving horror show when watched with Motion Interpolation on.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I've never forgiven Tom Cruise for his nearly 30-year refusal to allow his likeness to be used in video games that ended up requiring the Minority Report video game for Nintendo 64 to change the main character to a blonde.

Gamecube, actually. And Tom Cruise or no, that game was more fun than it had any right to be.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

cvnvcnv posted:

John Cazale wins.

that's unfair though because if you're only in 4 movies it's way easier for them all to be good. Cazale is like Bo Jackson, Cruise is like Kobe.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Snyder giving a dessert fork 5 tines - in order to shovel more sugar into the audience's mouth - shows us everything wrong with the DC Cinematic Murderverse

you rang?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rotten Tomatoes isn't a measure of how good a movie is, but how likely it is that your average person will like a movie. Being at, say, 60% doesn't mean that the movie averages out to a 6/10, but that 6 out of 10 people like it, to varying degrees (and 4 out of ten dislike it to varying degrees).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

GonSmithe posted:

I watched this on the tail end of an acid trip and that is the absolute best way I can think of watching that movie. It definitely owns.

He also did the Blackwater and Battle of the Wall episodes of Game of Thrones.

and if you only watch cool tv shows instead of lameshit fantasy ones, he also directed an episode of Hannibal. (the first part of the show's version of Red Dragon, which is predictably dope)

• Locked thread