Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My drawing of President Obama murdering Justice Scalia with a pillow --@SaifsArt

February saw a dramatic change in fortunes (or perhaps none at all). Trump seems like he’s all but sewn up the nominations (pending today’s results) while Hillary appears to have fought off the Bern (and it only cost D&D last month’s thread). People will be eyeing the polls the rest of the month, but it’s probably just about done after today if nothing surprising happens.

Meanwhile, Obama caught a lucky break as Scalia’s death opened up a vacancy on the Supreme Court. But never mind that, Republicans are looking out for their our best interests and have refused to let Obama get another SCOTUS choice.

So even though this month might not be quite as crazy as February, you can be sure that there’s still something going on in the USPOL thread for March 2016!

114th Congress Bingo Card

The 114th has been hard at work making sure that Obama’s remaining agenda stays on his desk, and not out in public. Let’s review the latest ways how!

If you just noticed that basically none of these things have anything to do with Congress, congratulations, you win no prize!

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

Sure, Trump might want to hold off on judging the KKK so rashly because we just don't know all the facts yet, but did you know that Hillary praised KKK leader Robert Byrd? Seems like she’s the real racist! So I think it goes without saying that you should definitely not vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Scott DesJarlais, the pro-life congressman who pressured his wife and mistress into having multiple abortions, has officially endorsed Trump.

He's like catnip to the absolute worst assholes on earth.

Off the top of my head he snagged Chris Christie, Jean-Marie Le Pen, Kris Kobach, Jan Brewer, Joe Arpaio, Jeff 'Beauregard' Sessions, Paul LePage, and Sarah Palin. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but holy poo poo it's human garbage all the way down.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

ComradeCosmobot posted:

My drawing of President Obama murdering Justice Scalia with a pillow --@SaifsArt

Considerably better drawing of Obama doing something nefarious than we usually see in D&D.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Don't forget the endorsement of a dude who poo poo himself out of the draft.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Scott DesJarlais, the pro-life congressman who pressured his wife and mistress into having multiple abortions, has officially endorsed Trump.

Off the top of my head he snagged Chris Christie, Jean-Marie Le Pen, Kris Kobach, Jan Brewer, Joe Arpaio, Jeff 'Beauregard' Sessions, Paul LePage, and Sarah Palin. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but holy poo poo it's human garbage all the way down.

David Duke, too

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Le Pen was good, but my personal favorite was his endorsement from Serbian war criminal Vojislav Šešelj.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

You think there will be any GOP stragglers after tomorrow? I bet Rubio hangs on.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You think there will be any GOP stragglers after tomorrow? I bet Rubio hangs on.

Ted Cruz might since his pride rivals such celestial bodies as Canis Majoris, UY Scuti, and your mother.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

Ted Cruz might since his pride rivals such celestial bodies as Canis Majoris, UY Scuti, and your mother.

True. I imagine Cruz will stay in until one of his threads gets caught in an escalator, unraveling him and letting all the insects escape.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jonas Albrecht posted:

True. I imagine Cruz will stay in until one of his threads gets caught in an escalator, unraveling him and letting all the insects escape.

Don't be mean.

Insects are a valuable part of every ecosystem. Unless you mean wasps and just wasps.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
From last thread:

Shbobdb posted:

Can I ask how old were you and how you could be so dumb? I don't mean it in a mean way, I'm just trying to understand.

It's hard, honestly. If you're not following something your brain takes a lot of shortcuts. "If there's smoke, there's fire" is what basically lets this poo poo happen. It's the same type of lazy shortcut that gives us "truth is in the middle", which the right wing has so flagrantly abused over the years.

Don't underestimate how wearing it is to defend someone against constant attack when you're surrounded by Fox/Limbaugh viewers. You start ceeding ground because nothing is 100% black&white, and those edges are where doubts set in.

If psychology and marketing tricks didn't work, they wouldn't be used so damned much. About the only well-spent money the GOP puts in elections is on this poo poo.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Don't be mean.

Insects are a valuable part of every ecosystem. Unless you mean wasps and just wasps.

Figs, man. Although given a choice between never eating a fig again and complete xenocide of all wasps, I know which way I'd vote.

Harik fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 1, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The campaign office for an African American woman running for Sheriff in a Texas county got shot up with the assailants yelling "loving niggers."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-candidate-zena-stephens-office-shot-apparent-racial-attack-n528611

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Harik posted:

From last thread:

It's hard, honestly. If you're not following something your brain takes a lot of shortcuts. "If there's smoke, there's fire" is what basically lets this poo poo happen. It's the same type of lazy shortcut that gives us "truth is in the middle", which the right wing has so flagrantly abused over the years.

Don't underestimate how wearing it is to defend someone against constant attack when you're surrounded by Fox/Limbaugh viewers. You start ceeding ground because nothing is 100% black&white, and those edges are where doubts set in.

If psychology and marketing tricks didn't work, they wouldn't be used so damned much. About the only well-spent money the GOP puts in elections is on this poo poo.

Figs, man. Although given a choice between never eating a fig again and complete xenocide of all wasps, I know which way I'd vote.

Figs are such a problem that even God hates them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Harik posted:

This is some legitimately fascinating reading. The figs actually digest the female wasp after she lays her eggs. loving wild.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Cross posting from DnD pics.
http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...y=95&fit=inside|637:358&composite-to=*,*|637:358&background-color=black

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=503018107

Some choice quotes.
"
I think this civ should also come with automatic denouncements immediately upon meeting the Aztecs, Arabia, China, or Vatican City. "
"
OK, so I'm not taking back any of the things I said here earlier because I was just telling the truth. However, now that I've played the mod, I must admit it is a real work of art, it's really great. Maybe the creator of the mod got some things wrong about me, but it's so incredible, what he's done, it's fantastic and an excellent way to have fun. There are so many terriffic, incredible people in this country, we have all the cards and it won't even be that hard to Make America Great Again! Hopefully the guy who made this mod, he's really talented, really incredible, mark my words he'll vote for me because my supporters are really smart and this guy seems smart, maybe he just has a substance abuse problem or something but he's an incredible guy. "

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I can't imagine March will top February, but Super Tuesday is a good way start. I predict a Trump sweep, less mass shootings than days in the month, and McConnel allowing Supreme Court nominees.

Only one of those will happen for real.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

I can't imagine March will top February,

Well now you've gone and done it, March will definitely out-crazy February now.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The campaign office for an African American woman running for Sheriff in a Texas county got shot up with the assailants yelling "loving niggers."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-candidate-zena-stephens-office-shot-apparent-racial-attack-n528611

We'll just never know what drives such disturbed individuals to do what they do. Out of respect, we should just never talk about it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is not a psychotic episode - it is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

I can't imagine March will top February, but Super Tuesday is a good way start. I predict a Trump sweep, less mass shootings than days in the month, and McConnel allowing Supreme Court nominees.

You're an idiot if you think this crazy train isn't accelerating.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

I was wondering, is the phenomenon of Blue State Republicans' disproportionate voting power not considered to be enough in tandem with the late states to balance the lead Trump is currently enjoying? I saw an article November of last year describing how e.g. New York's 15th District in the Bronx has three delegates and so does Alabama's 6th District even though there is a huge GOP voting disparity in those districts, which tends to give an advantage to moderate candidates (that is supposed to be offset in some way I guess by Red States' bonus delegates).

Does anyone know more about the calculus that RNC rules create or have more recent figures concerning these opposing forces in the delegate chase? Joe?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
letter from upper class people to FT explaining why they back Trump

You know who else was a right wing populist demagogue who was elevated by the elites because he was seen as a more controllable and less offensive member of his party?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

When will Carson finally drop out? His campaign has been haemorrhaging staff since New Years and he's spending money like crazy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Riosan posted:

When will Carson finally drop out? His campaign has been haemorrhaging staff since New Years and he's spending money like crazy.

It has been implied today

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well that was even quicker than I expected

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Riosan posted:

What's kinda funny is that we have a serial pamphlet shitter at work that drops Ben Carson advertisements all over a small table by the entrance. The person has kept some sort of Ben Carson book or ad of sorts on the table for a few weeks now, poor bastard will be crushed when The Good Doctor drops out. :smith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ripoff posted:

What's kinda funny is that we have a serial pamphlet shitter at work that drops Ben Carson advertisements all over a small table by the entrance. The person has kept some sort of Ben Carson book or ad of sorts on the table for a few weeks now, poor bastard will be crushed when The Good Doctor drops out. :smith:

He's not alone. A bunch of people I know and their exurban religious enclave all despise Trump and ADORE Carson. When Carson drops I have no idea where their support will go. Rubio maybe? If you despise Trump I can't see how Cruz is honestly more appealing but I suppose I'm not wearing the right goggles for this assessment

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The real question is if Carson realizes he's ben running all this time.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Luminous Obscurity posted:

The real question is if Carson realizes he's ben

that's a fortuitous typo

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

It has been implied today

By Cruz?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

letter from upper class people to FT explaining why they back Trump

You know who else was a right wing populist demagogue who was elevated by the elites because he was seen as a more controllable and less offensive member of his party?

Can you post the text of this? It is behind a paywall.

CheesyDog posted:

Well that was even quicker than I expected

That happened in February. :smug:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Watch out, Scalia, that black man has a pillow!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

McDowell posted:

This is not a psychotic episode - it is a cleansing moment of clarity.

A spiritual laxative if you will.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mr Hootington posted:

Can you post the text of this? It is behind a paywall.

you can always copy the link address and paste it in google to get around this

as such:

quote:

Sir, My wife and I are affluent Americans with postgraduate degrees. We are socially liberal and fiscally mildly conservative. We are not the sans-culottes you see as the prototypical Trump voter. We are well aware of his vulgarity and nous deficiency yet we contemplate voting for him. Why?
Electing the standard-bearer of the Democratic Party seems purposeless. The neanderthal Republicans barely respected the legitimacy of Bill Clinton’s or Barack Obama’s election, let alone that of Hillary who would arrive tainted with scandal and the email lapses hanging over her head. We would get four years of gridlock and “hearings”. The Republican tribunes, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, are backward, foolish and inexperienced. John Kasich, a moderate with extensive governmental experience and a willingness to compromise, is an also-ran. That leaves The Donald, really a moderate in wolf’s garb, who would owe nothing to either party and might strike deals, for instance on tax reform.
Yes, we could be like the good citizens who voted for a “tameable” Hitler in 1933 to get things back on track. But the alternatives look worse.
Jon and Elsa Sands
Indianapolis, IN, US

it is the worst thing

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I refuse to believe that's anything but satire. Sans-culottes? Really?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
They deserve the block.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
:stare:

10 to 1 they know someone named "Chet."

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Litany Unheard posted:

I refuse to believe that's anything but satire. Sans-culottes? Really?

Agreed. "Republican Tribunes" really clinched it for me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Anyone can claim to be anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not surprising it's Beaumont.

• Locked thread