Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Dannel Malloy is bad in the Andrew Cuomo sense, in that CT has a county of rich people and then the rest of it. So cutting everything while doing nothing to address the problems that will cause because of legislative intransigence and really who the gently caress wants to live in Connecticut? That said, I voted for him because lol Foley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

I want Tom Vilsack back.

Agreed. Hell, I'd settle for Chet Culver.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Mary Fallin is awful, but she's pretty much the puppet of the state GOP, and doesn't have a lot of individual positions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/chrisjohnson82/status/704804715691909121

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

We're close enough to Kansas that you can't ignore the direct parallel and resulting hellscape of ideological conservative government so people are starting to freak out a little

Guess it's tough to clap your hands over your ears when the industry that just mostly bailed and dumped a lot of people onto unemployment left you with almost nonstop earthquakes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Agreed. Hell, I'd settle for Chet Culver.

Chet is corrupt or at least the people he places into positions of power are corrupt as hell.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Post about your governors ITT

My governor once got chased by a bear, while naked. He's not standing for re-election, supposedly for unrelated reasons. :tinfoil:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I'd say in terms of damage Brownback and Scott are near the top. LePage is at least hemmed in by the legislature and his own incompetence, so you can at least laugh a bit. Thank god he's term limited.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Is this guy a moderate for real?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

My governor once got chased by a bear, while naked. He's not standing for re-election, supposedly for unrelated reasons. :tinfoil:

This is amazing. Vermont is the best state.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Boon posted:

Can't forget about Jindal and Abbot.

Having no experience with the states outside of what I read (except Walker)

1. Sam Brownback
2. Rick Snyder
3. Scott Walker
4. Bobby Jindal
5. Paul LePage

Outside of being obviously racist, I don't know how damaging LePage has been.

Jindal is no longer a sitting governor (thank god for that). But Abbot is pure filth.

Right now? There's no way Snyder isn't number one. If this was 6 months ago, I could see him being buried in the slime of the rest of the pool but with the optics of Flint? He has to be number one.
Walker will always be up there for just how nakedly bought he is. The only position he holds is the one written on the checks from his backers.
Brownback has destroyed Kansas for a generation at least. But at the end of the day, who's worse? Brownback or the people who've voted for him twice now, not including his time in the Senate.
LePage as someone else said is the great center of the Venn diagram of crazy/incompetent/stupid

There's no way these 4 shouldn't be on everyone's list. At that point you're just jockey for position at number 5.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I honestly would want O'Malley back. Hogan pisses me off.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Yoshifan823 posted:

Are there any Rs that aren't terrible?

There's one, I guess.

Charlie Baker is fine, if MA Republicans count. He's only a turd on things you'd expect him to be a turd about (infrastructure, welfare, climate, etc.) and his approval ratings are really high.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Rauner is so bad MIGF hates him.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
wrong throd

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Rauner is loving awful. Several thousand students are probably going to not be able to attend college this year because of his fuckery.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Hollismason posted:

Rauner is loving awful. Several thousand students are probably going to not be able to attend college this year because of his fuckery.

Here in Oklahoma there's talk about reducing the number of school days to 4 next year in order to save money. Conservative principles at work!

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

There's one, I guess.

Charlie Baker is fine, if MA Republicans count. He's only a turd on things you'd expect him to be a turd about (infrastructure, welfare, climate, etc.) and his approval ratings are really high.

Don't sell Charlie short, he's legislatively impotent but he's still about as awful as he could be. Reform before revenue!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CannonFodder posted:

Skeeters and bedbugs can gently caress right off. And stinkbugs, nothing eats them.

Some birds eat stinkbugs apparently, but they don't do it nearly enough to matter.

Boon posted:

Can't forget about Jindal and Abbot.

Having no experience with the states outside of what I read (except Walker)

1. Sam Brownback
2. Rick Snyder
3. Scott Walker
4. Bobby Jindal
5. Paul LePage

Outside of being obviously racist, I don't know how damaging LePage has been.

LePage isn't in the top 5 simply because he's too stupid to know how the veto process in his state works. Brownback, Synder, and Walker are definitely the Top 3 by a goddamn mile though. I'd put Synder ahead of Brownback because I haven't heard of Brownback ignoring a city being poisoned like Synder did.

Kro-Bar posted:

Here in Oklahoma there's talk about reducing the number of school days to 4 next year in order to save money. Conservative principles at work!

It's going to be terrifying to see what happens in the coming years when entire states worth of students are immediately rejected by most universities due to the states having horrifically poor education results.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's going to be terrifying to see what happens in the coming years when entire states worth of students are immediately rejected by most universities due to the states having horrifically poor education results.
I imagine they'll go to university in the same state, since they'll be in terrible shape too and begging for tuition money :haw: ( :smith: )

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Sorus posted:

I honestly would want O'Malley back. Hogan pisses me off.

What did Hogan do now?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

SubponticatePoster posted:

I imagine they'll go to university in the same state, since they'll be in terrible shape too and begging for tuition money :haw: ( :smith: )

Probably accurate! The state school I went to required an 18 on the ACT to get in, but you can go to an affiliated juco and get in with a 13.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Didn't Oklahoma also just ban AP US History classes because they thought it painted the US's history in a negative light?

high six
Feb 6, 2010
What about Pat McCrory for awful governors? :(

http://www.buzzfeed.com/govpatmccrory/north-carolinas-hilariously-incompetent-governor-hk4m

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original
I'd add Dalrymple to that list. He paid 100 Grand to 4 members of his staff, called it a bonus, and no one batted an eye when it turned out that this unannounced bonus violated state law. He also has a fun habit of making decisions immediately following "campaign contributions". The tax commissioner(appointed by Dalrymple) crashed his car after a 2 day drinking binge, found a Patsy, and no one investigated.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Epic High Five posted:

Didn't Oklahoma also just ban AP US History classes because they thought it painted the US's history in a negative light?

They tried too (it passed out of committee), but there was a ton of teacher outrage over it and it was never brought to a floor vote.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kro-Bar posted:

Probably accurate! The state school I went to required an 18 on the ACT to get in, but you can go to an affiliated juco and get in with a 13.

For those of you who don't know what that means, scoring an 18 means you scored in the 35th percentile, scoring a 13 means you scored around the 8th percentile, a 20 is about the national average. There are already plenty of state universities that accept significantly lower than average scores, but scoring below a 10 basically disqualifies you from all but the shadiest of 4-year universities. But anyone can still go to community college and/or learn a trade and also test scores are stupid :unsmith:

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

As a Texan in Oklahoma for school lmao @ this state, just lmao.
Not that Texas is any better.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yoshifan823 posted:

Are there any Rs that aren't terrible? Or any Ds that are particularly great. I know Jerry Brown is pretty cool, who else isn't terrible.

Post about your governors ITT

I'll go to bat for my gov. Dayton's a pig-headed mush mouth who picks dumb fights with the legislature, but the state is doing great compared to our neighbors and the fights that he picks (all day pre-k, higher minimum wage) are for good things.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Brownback, Synder, and Walker are definitely the Top 3 by a goddamn mile though. I'd put Synder ahead of Brownback because I haven't heard of Brownback ignoring a city being poisoned like Synder did.

How did you do this three times?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Caddyshack-style shenanigans make me more likely to vote for a pol, under the theory that I'll eventually get the Senator Blutovsky that I really want.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Archonex posted:

What did Hogan do now?

Spent a ton of money on roads in the middle of areas in economic decline or stagnation. He's doing the typical REDUCE ERR TAXES nonsense and putting in a structural deficit just to appease a bunch of R leaning areas in the state (a tiny, tiny minority). Plus Annapolis hates Baltimore normally, and now Annapolis hates Baltimore County as well. Hogan (and Franchot) doesn't want Baltimore County's county executive running for governor next election because he'd run away with the election even if the election is in a non-presidential year.

Not to mention there'll be some sort of illegal surveillance scandal involving the MD state police at some point.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Asking the superficial question.

Is the FL Gov. the #1 most evil looking gov.?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PhazonLink posted:

A lot of people here are scared of furries, so the Idaho Governor would give him a run for his money.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ColdPie posted:

How did you do this three times?

Probably a Wisconsin student.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

PhazonLink posted:

You thought people called him Skelator and Voldamort for kicks?

Only in Florida would a convicted criminal be trusted with partial responsibility for the state's budget.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PhazonLink posted:

Don't forget Rick Scott's order that state government employees not use the phrase "climate change".

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Remember how we used to say that the only thing the House is capable of doing lately is renaming post offices? Well...

quote:

On days when the House of Representatives does not have much to do by way of work, the body names post offices. Usually these are fairly mundane affairs, the body will unanimously vote to approve the naming of a post office no matter what member puts the request forward.

That was the case today when a vote to rename a post office in California to "Medal of Honor" post office passed 381-0.

However, it was not for the next vote, cast to rename a post office in Winston-Salem, N.C. after Civil Rights icon Maya Angelou. That measure passed with only 371 votes.

Nine Republicans voted against the Maya Angelou bill and one voted present.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What the poo poo? Seriously, it's Maya Angelou.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Did you guys know that she was black and also talked about black people stuff in her books? Might not be a real American, you never can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Remember how we used to say that the only thing the House is capable of doing lately is renaming post offices? Well...

Did Maya Angelou Really Know Why The Caged Bird Sings? Find Out What She Isn't Telling You

• Locked thread