Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Drunk Canuck posted:

Important Cespedes hog related news: https://twitter.com/Ackert_NYDN/status/704674476827525122

What a great man.

I was ok with him eating the hog (actually 4H kids are sometimes taught to give their animals names that remind the kids that the animals will probably be food) but this is so wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: Mike Trout got a company to build a smart bat. Or a thing that fits into bats with cut-outs at the end that makes the bat "smart", anyway.

http://www.halosheaven.com/2016/2/29/11133690/mike-trouts-new-smart-bat-is-going-to-impact-baseball-in-a-big-way

V: They went through all that and it doesn't gather any weather readings at all. How disappointing to Mike Trout...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I know he'll appeal it (as everyone always does) but I'm glad to see MLB is actually not a horrible moster when it comes to domestic abuse.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

That's sad. There has been a conspiracy theory among Brewers bloggers for a while that they were using an imposter for a while.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

They should have just had a kennel of Hanks numbered like I-IV or whatever. UGA does it and I'm sure plenty of other dog mascot teams do it?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jummy posted:

A-Rod for President.

First executive order: legalize drugs.

Second order: order a federal investigation into Bug Selig's investigation of Alex Rodriguez

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cliff Lee is just saying he's not expecting to pitch this season, not that he's officially retiring, right?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

Is there any chance Mune makes the team?

I don't want to root against the guy, but I just checked and Des Moines is only a 3.5 hour drive from St. Paul.

You could make the case he's the 26th man not counting potential injuries to pitchers. He's the best candidate from the AAA non-catcher roster since nobody know what's wrong with Arismendy Alcantara.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

I keep thinking of changing my avatar and then I cry.

I get it. I will never accept that Welington Castillo is no longer a Cub.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

Good on that dude

Of course it kinda looks like it spun around and nailed the kid in the back of the head after deflecting off the guy's arm

That kid is drat lucky to have been sitting next to that guy and his giant forearm.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Then there's this guy:

The little kid just seems to be mimicking what all the adults around her are doing, oblivious to the imminent peril.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dubious posted:

this site rules, and loving lol at that whiff by Donaldson

It's cool, Josh, that wind up had me confused, too.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

alex wood forearm tightness death

I know how much SAS loves players with batting averages greater than OBP so I thought I'd take this chance to point out Olivera is rocking a .433/.419/.500 slash line in spring training.

SpringTrainingStats.txt

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Capt. Sticl posted:

N: Random Article openly gay baseball players, but more importantly:

V: I would love to see some numbers on this. I remember like 3 years ago when we traded away Henry Blanco and the Dbacks had no one else on staff that was bilingual English-Spanish.

Let's also not forget their owner may have alienated all of their good black players at one point (they don't have any right now).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wonder if they'r deliveries are just too different from what he's used to seeing and so he can't really rely on his own experience in this situation. It's not that he hasn't seen pitchers from Asia, just that he doesn't watch them all the time the way the scouts who led the Dodgers to sign them do.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

Is anyone going to take a risk on him once Houston lets him go?

He'll get tons of offers for minor league deals.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mike Trout spoke out against bat flips yesterday. This is upsetting, guys.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-20160317-story.html

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Marlins are so desperate to sell tickets, they pushed Fernandez's first start of the season to the second game with Chen starting opening day in Miami.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ross Angeles posted:

noted Yankee killer Chone Figgins is signing a one day contract with the Angels on Monday and will retire.

We will never forget you Chone

Something tells me Mariners fans will never forget him either.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

My first instinct is to always say Yankees but they already have a bad switch-hitting third baseman and he'd have to get in line to play first. And it's not a buffet line.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Marquis de Pyro posted:

'Now that Angel Hernandez is safely back in Cuba, the Embargo resumes. Also, we left Joe West as well.' - President Obama

:patriot:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

That article caused me to learn he hit 15 home runs last year which is a lot for a baby.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Utah going for Daryl Dawkins over Stocktan or Malone is pretty surprising.

You have to remember it's just one company so one person ordering 3 jerseys from them or someone who has multiple retail stores in the state and happens to order multiples of the same jersey just because they ran out last year would tilt the whole list.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

zakharov posted:

A-Rod just announced that he'll retire after his contract expires in 2017.

Please please please give him a retirement tour.

I was kind of hoping he'd go home to play in Miami for a year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Moneyball posted:

I like girls, but Brandon Crawford tho :allears:

Look, if, as a baseball fan, the sight of a 6'4" man playing a very solid shortstop doesn't make you swoon a little, I don't know what will.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

Hahahah, what?!?

Chase Field is a great ballpark with a bunch of amenities. What are they even trying to complain about?

You have to constantly do construction on ballparks or they turn into pre-rehab Wrigley field. poo poo falls apart. They really aren't meant to exist.

Also, they probably want to add more boxes and more patios that they can use to sell advertising.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The up-charge for sprinkling 75 cents worth of junk food on an already overpriced sandwich is getting out of control.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 25, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

So triggered right now.

Was waiting for someone to take the bait.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bewbies posted:

Am i wrong in liking it when baseballmen get mad at things, regardless of the color of the baseballman, or the color of the person the baseballman is mad at? The world wonders.

Also, here's everything you ever wanted to know about roughly 5 seconds in Homer's and Duda's and Sal Perez's lives last October. It was surprisingly interesting...

"Manager Ned Yost said he used a bunt sign only four times in 2015..."
RIP :punto:s

N:

V: My heart. It is exploding. And I wanted to see the Cubs get to the seri....

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 25, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nick Swisher was probably the 2nd most popular Brave behind Freeman prior to singing Francoeur. It's unrealistic to keep up with Francoeur in a popularity contest in Atlanta.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Arod
Pujols
Ichiro
Ortiz
Beltre
Miggy

Beltran has a shot but it's based on voters seeing him as mostly a career center fielder.

Just for refernce, Papi's career wRC+ is 2 more than Will Clark's but he said the f word.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

what about buehrle?

He has no notable achievements other than being the #1 starter on a team that won the world series one time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Throwing a perfect game is not a benchmark for the hall of fame. Lots of pitchers who have done it are in the Hall but so did Mike Witt (who was kind of good), Phil Humber, Dallas Braden and Tom Browning.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with Soler this spring?

Well, he's making a lot of mental errors but he started swinging at a lot of bad pitches during the regular season and he needs to curtail it. That was surprising as I thought his reputation was for having a good feel for the strike zone but, obviously, results and opposing scouting departments feel differently.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

zakharov posted:

they're literally meaningless

The Cards and Cubs have two of the worst records in spring training.

N: Cubs released Mune Kawasaki

V: :smith: (at least they can still try to re-sign him to a minor league deal)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Whaaaaat? But he had a 1.042 OPS this ST.

Why did they even add him to the roster if he was guaranteed to be cut?

I didn't understand it either until I saw this on Bleacher Nation

quote:

Because players who’ve signed minor league deals, but have at least six years service time, must be paid a $100,000 roster bonus and given a June 1 opt-out at the end of Spring Training, you often see such players “released” from those contracts and then re-signed to contracts soon thereafter, with slightly different terms. You also sometimes see other players on minor league deals “released” and then re-signed, because, for whatever reason, their contract had some special terms in them that the team now would like to renegotiate.
Mune doesn't fall into the 6 years service time but he might have terms we don't know about. Victorino was also cut but it looks like he'll continue rehabbing with the Cubs until he makes a decision as to whether or not to sign a minor league deal with them.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If a professional baseball player retires and buys a team, I can almost guarantee it would be in Southern Caliornia or Florida. Who the gently caress wants to spend Aprils and Octobers of their retirement years with a cold weather baseball team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

MLB players, even ARod, don't have the net worth let alone liquid capital to buy an MLB team outright. BReff lists ARod's career earnings at $378M, and that is of course before taxes and whatever he's spent. Forbes values the Rays at $650M.

I think the only way Magic had enough money to buy-in to the Dodgers was because of his chain or fast food restaurants and other investments?

I mean ARod could do the Magic thing. His career earnings are way more but who knows if he's making as much as Magic did off other investments (and Magic got to invest his money into the magical money tree called "the late 90s" while whatever ARod has been investing in has probably been the same money pit most people have dealt with).

• Locked thread