Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

So is Jasper one of those laughing drunks, or is he just high on life?

Jasper is typically completely sober, if that answers your question.

I think Emmett is the only one who drinks outside of cutscenes, to be honest. (For good reason; wine is a lovely-rear end recovery item.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Oh geez.

Fair warning to anyone playing along: Later games in the series (mostly 3 and 4) add a lot of quality of life improvements to the system, but in the first game? Magic (past Teleport, Heal, and the status-curing spell) is utterly useless. The most notable problem is that unlike using items/weapons, magic needs RP. It can't be cast from HP. Hippoman has been doing a decent job of illustrating, but your RP is absurdly finite, especially early on and/or if you don't carry along a heavy stack of food to chow on (which... can be incredibly difficult in the heat of combat). The bigger problem, though, is that the amount of RP that magic burns is enormous. Sure, attack spells can do some pretty heavy burst damage, but when they cost 10x the RP of a normal attack and don't do 10x the damage, it's a losing proposition in any and all battles of attrition.

Don't try to do magic in RF1. It's not worth it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

So the limiting factor in monsters is the number of monster hut spaces you have? You can always tame one if you have enough time and endurance?

Some monsters can't be tamed in the first game, I don't think - mostly bosses. And in the first game, most monsters are useless except as dungeon diving buddies. They don't get the ability to do your yardwork for you until I think the third game?

But yeah, if you want to fill every last monster hut with Orc Archers, go hog wild.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shwqa posted:

Wait the rune orbs don't give permanent stat boost in this version? That sucks

The Rune Orbs never gave a permanent stat boost, it was always Runeys, which are the fairy-looking assholes that sometimes show up instead of Rune Orbs.

I don't think they're even in this game in a collectable state.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zyrden posted:

So that Seal seemed to affect you for the rest of the day. Just how long do status effects last in this game?

Until you cure them. You either have to chow down on something that cures that status, or pay a visit to the town doctor. Best part: Poison damage keeps ticking down as a new day fades in/out. (Luckily, poison is easy to cure since Antidote Herbs are common enough to always keep a stack handy)

Later games in the series would let them wear off with time.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Worth noting is that the Chirori/Chipsqueek (in later entries in the series) has kind of become one of the series mascots alongside the farm-type monsters (your NotCow, NotChicken, NotSheep, etc - is it a spoiler to point out that those exist?). They're still kind of dumbly rare for just being squirrels that do nothing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

##vote
1 Melody

(Only because something tells me that "Mei", "Jasper", and "literally anybody but Mist" are not valid options for your tally program.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If you use that neutralizing agent on one of the poison tiles, does it stay neutralized forever, or does it go back to poisoned next time you visit the cave?

Technically it's gone for good, but in certain areas poison tiles can "respawn" every so often. That's what the neutralizing agent is for, by the way - not to get rid of poison on you, but to get rid of poison on the ground. Because the poison tiles can also spawn on otherwise tillable land.

LordHippoman posted:

Interestingly, the description of the Lance gives us our first mention of the unfortunately named “Sechs Empire”.

I'm still not sure if that name is more or less unfortunate than the name they gave them in Rune Factory Frontier. "Sechs" is liable to be mispronounced in lewd ways (It's 'zeks', like the German word for six), but it's at least readable, which is more than "the Zzyzx Empire" can claim to be.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tarezax posted:

RF3 basically turns all heart events into quests, some of them have no requirements but usually you'll have to bring something that the person wants from you. You still gotta gift them stuff they like though.

The actual act of marriage is the same for all the bachelorettes, but it's tied into the main quest plotline.

It's pretty much the same in RF4 in the sense that all the heart events are sidequests, and the actual proposal event is a much, much bigger character-specific sidequest.

But before that point it's still the same "shove sparkly things in their face to force them to love you" that we all know and love from the Harvest Moon series.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

I guess "scrap iron" is the same as "junk ore" from previous games. Completely unsalvageable?

There's uses for it, but not many.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

inflatablefish posted:

Please tell me you can't actually have Donnel look into the women's bath.

If memory serves, any time you try to go into the other entrance Melody gripes at you and you lose relationship points.

There's no "peek on the girls bathing" scene, thank god. The Rune Factory series didn't get to those levels of :japan: until at least the third game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

So! We've got monsters now. I imagine next time we'll find out what they can do for us, which will probably be wildly disproportionate to the amount of time and effort it takes to improve them.

Sadly, I'm 90% certain that bees didn't start actually giving you honey as a harvestable product until RF3. :sigh:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gnoman posted:

You would be 100% wrong. You get honey by using the Basket on the wasps in this game.

poo poo, you can? Good, they're useful still! (I don't know why I thought otherwise; maybe because starting at 3 they just... generated it, no harvest required, ala chicken eggs in these types of games)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Wayne posted:

(I'm going to have to give sashimi to the mermaid in RF3 and see if that actually lowers hearts :D)

Unless it's made out of squid (something something tentacle joke :japan:) I can pre-emptively confirm that yes. Yes, it does. You murdered her friends. Murderer. (Squid is ok to murder because squid is evil something something tentacle joke :japan:)

Seconding that we name our first sheep Micah. Self-referential humor is almost like a pun, right?

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 21, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

Micah's cool. He's pretty much the only sane man in the lunatic asylum that is Sharance.

Even he's a little loopy. Gotta be something in the water, there.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Also the Sweet Potatoes are plucked, but something...weird happens. I hit Escape on accident here, and-

When I came back, the Rune was gone. I guess it disappears if you start picking the plants? Even the ones it's not floating over.

The game calculates Rune generation each time you enter a screen, based on two factors:

a) Did you already get the runes from this screen today? and
b) Are there nine fully-grown crops on the screen?

Since you started plucking the yams, when you Escaped and came back, there were less than nine fully grown crops on the screen. (Regrowing crops drop back to their third stage of growth when they're picked) Thus, no Rune needed to be generated. This would've also happened if you grabbed all but one of the runes on a bigger set of crops, and then started picking them. Each rune generates from 9 crops, so if you have, say, 36 crops grown (9x4), grab 3 runes, then the last rune doesn't count from 1-9, it counts from 28-36.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is she...hitting the protagonist with a lemon mallet?

No, no. That's entirely portrait layering issues; there's not enough screen real-estate to put both of the characters without one overlapping the other.

Also it's a mallet covered in paint.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

This will never happen in RF1, sadly. I want Jasperventures as much as anyone else, but it's an impossibility.

Yeah, NPC allies didn't happen until 3. There's a reason people hold 3 and 4 head and shoulders above the first two, and it's because of the huge amount of general Quality of Life they added.

(Also because the characters felt like more than the standard Harvest Moon style cardboard cutouts)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Donnel just has that poo poo-eating grin on his face because he sees a loophole to exploit in order to get his cave diving on.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Also, you can charge the fishing rod.

It makes the bobber go out a little further. I don’t think this does anything. I couldn’t find out online anywhere if this did anything. So I’m operating under the assumption it’s just there to eat your RP.

With weaker fishing rods, it doesn't do too much (or anything at all), but with the better, higher-material rods, it improves the quality of the fish you catch. I know at least in RF2, you can only catch Lover Snapper at all with a charged up rod, it might be the case here, too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wow, what's the point of the neutralizers if it's not permanent? In the third game they are, though those poison tiles only appear on farmable tiles in the wild and not just in your way and they can appear randomly like any other thing that can appear on a farmable tile (sticks, rocks, herbs, etc').

They're semi-permanent in the same way they are in later games. The problem is that the poison tiles in Carmine can show up in places other than farmable tiles, and any poison tile that isn't on farmable land will automatically regenerate when you return.

Thus, Neutralizers are only for clearing land to till. Which does still make them reasonably useless since there's plenty of healthy farmland in Carmine to not care if a tile or two is poison-gunk'd.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

100 squares is like, 12 plots of land. That must be a pain to... actually tend to. Or don't caves follow the normal rules of watering crops and such?

You don't need to tend them, just till them once. It only matters until the point that you get the key to the next area.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HardDisk posted:

Can you have multiple NotChickens/NotCows/NotSheeps per farm? It feels weird to me only having one so far.

You can, but you have to tame each one individually. It's kind of a hassle until you can actually do something with that Milk/Eggs/Wool.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Misty Bullshit Cave. So many things wrong with that dungeon. So many things. Not only is it only available in Winter, not only is it essentially on a timelimit to access with a deep, dark, hidden secret that Hippoman probably wants to save to reveal himself.

Remember how you can't marry Mei unless you use wifi/multiplayer bullshit to level up an item constantly? You can't even catch the item - a Lover Snapper, for the record - anywhere but in Misty Bloom.

Also, if you don't go in with a bunch of Paralysis/Seal healing items, you better believe you're gonna have a bad time. Misty Bloom hates you and wants you to shove a sword into a turnip.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

I don’t know if that got changed in future RFs, but games like Stardew Valley seem to NOT actively encourage it.

[...]

So, the money is easy to come by.

These two lines say pretty much everything. In future RF games where passing out just drags you back to the hospital (I think there's one game where you just game over if you run out of HP at any point), you pretty much lose half of your money on the spot.

It's pretty much the same way in Stardew, except you can't game over anywhere in that game.

If Donnel was in any other location except Kardia, he'd be goddamn destitute.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Rune Factory 1 is not the most user friendly experience. Even in spite of that, and the last...4 or so updates, I do still have a soft spot for this game, but it sounds like the sequels are a lot stronger.

2 is kind of a sidegrade since it makes a few....... shall we say questionable decisions in the name of narrative pacing (hope you like your ability to cook linked to the plot instead of a purchase!) and lacks a lot of the later QoL improvements, but 3 and 4 are decidedly improved as far as gameplay flow, yes. They're still kind of opaque in the way stats work, but there's a lot more room to just do your own thing as opposed to smashing your face against an ore rock all day every day.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

That is oddly specific. Is that like, a trope in Japan? I know I made a joke about the "100 Year Old Eggs" back in FE12 and that turned out to be a real thing people make and eat, so I might just be missing some sort of cultural context with elaborate neck jewelry.

Or Sharron's just weird. It could always just be that Sharron's weird.

Well, I mean, America even has cage chokers. I don't know if it's cultural so much as just a very unusual but still extant fashion choice.

EDIT:

Fashion be weird, yo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Wayne posted:

But other than that, seriously, the HM/RF games are idealistic and escapist like crazy. Especially RF, where you're always some intrinsically special individual (monster or Earthmate) who gets to vanquish monsters, make friends with crazy people and hook up with your choice of cute anime lady.

Can't marry the dragon in RF4, had to settle for Bootleg Saber, entire series rated 0/10. :colbert:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, in the first two RF games, most food items restore flat amounts instead of percentages, with most "cooked food" restoring like 40 HP and 5 RP and most basic ingredients giving you far worse than that.

If you look back at the last update, Donnel has 311 HP, and in RF1 RP is a static 100.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 11, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Like Clockwork posted:

We don't need his dirty stalker money. :colbert:

Not an emptyquote because goddamn I forgot how skeezy Lucas came off in this game. I remembered Mist's... Mist-ness but nothing else.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Throw the stupid thing in the lake surrounding Misty Bloom.

He'd probably just throw it over the "lake". That makes everyone's problems worse and isn't even all that fulfilling.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It takes 25 cooking skill to mix two juices together in a blender. :raise:

Have you watched Iron Chef? People forget to put the drat lid on all the time.

Also, this is by and far the inferior wool festival. The one in RF3 and RF4 lets you beat up an enormous rampaging wooly with clippers and/or spoons until it sheds all of its wool for you.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, I'm thankful we got RF4 out of it, but I'm also wondering this too.

Actually, how much of an improvement was RF2 over this game?

It was a sidegrade. The combat is still obnoxious but you spend about the third of the game as Ginger RagunaDonnel, find a wife, and then spend the other two-thirds of the game as his kid.

Instead of buying a kitchen and fridge and crafting stations for your home like in RF1, you just flat out don't get the ability to craft items in any capacity until you're a kid and can mooch off your school's equipment. Ironically, this means if you're trapped at home during a storm you've just flat out got a day's worth of wasted RP you can do literally nothing with. All of the monster drops and most ores from Gold down are easily farmable as Dad before the timeskip, but afterwards, when you can craft, dungeon difficulty spikes upward exponentially.

The characters are slightly less obnoxious, but still pretty unimportant and cardboard. You lose a chunk of your money if you pass out in the streets like a vagrant. There's another Jasper and he's still the best character.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Someone who has actually played Rune Factory: Frontier can probably explain this better.

I haven't played RFF, I'm just quoting this to note that you should not trust Metacritic for Rune Factory scores, as it ranks RFF as the highest in the series, a whole single point over RF1 and RF4, which are tied for second.

Yeah, Metacritic's aggregate ranks the first game as equal to the fourth. And 2 and 3 as worse.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Aggregate review sites just average the reviews from all other sources they are provided, so it's not any one failing of monkeys. Also, it's not as much a failing as you'd think - Rune Factory Frontier is sitting at 79 aggregate, RF1/4 are at 78, with RF2/3 at 77 and Tides of Destiny at a whopping 55. As for why RFs 1 and 2 are that high despite being worse games? Several factors:
  • For its time, RF was a groundbreaker. Sure, Harvest Moon DS had toyed with the idea of combat, but never before was there a game that tried to implement dungeoneering and farming in equal amounts. It was a chocolate-and-peanut-butter thing and only got worse with age when the formula was improved.
  • By contrast, RF3 and 4 are refinements to the system, they don't really bring very much new to the table. They're solid, and they're good improvements, but they won't have that solid push of hype that the original had due to its at the time novel concepts.
  • RF4 particularly got hurt by XSeed's localization - not the quality of it, but the fact it took quite a while to come out. 15 month turnarounds for translation would be customary for a game back in the NES/SNES days, but as time and technology improve, people get more and more impatient, and that hurts perception.
  • I'd also personally speculate that RF4 got hurt by the differing budgets between Natsume and XSeed. If you don't think that getting good reviews is something factored into advertisement budget, you'd be mistaken - I'm not talking about buyoffs, even, but just getting preview/review copies to big sites/mags is pretty important for generating positive outlook.
  • As for Tides' comically low score compared to the rest, it was pretty universally shat on for being a no-frills PS3 port of a Wii game; the Wii version scored higher but didn't get enough reviews to actually get a proper aggregate. (The piss-poor translation/localization probably hurt, too.)

For the record, the user scores (which is to say, unofficial player reviews, both on that site and on sites like GameFAQs/etc) place RF3 decently above the others (8.6 over the next-highest 8.4), but follow much of the same breakdown - RF Frontier as best after that, followed by RF1 and RF4 tied with each other and RF2 lagging in the back.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 7, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Rosetta gives you Corn on the Cob

Tabatha gives you Corn (evidently not the same thing?)

Corn is the crop. Corn on the Cob is the cooked food.

Honeybuns are delicious.

I'm hungry.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well if she wants to be boring and :ghost: then she can just call us Donnel like a boring ghost.

Also if you get a Tricky Mush, you must name it SSX.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

...If we'd married Bianca she would have actually called us Don Donnel.

Goons, we made a poor choice.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sage Grimm posted:

This last dungeon's gimmick is coming back to me. I seem to have struck it from memory for very good reason.

I'm pretty sure it's a gimmick that gets reused in all four RF games, too, unlike most of the bad and terrible gimmicks this game has.

LordHippoman posted:

But KataraniSword wants to call the Tricky Mush SSX, in honor of NBA Jam.

It's my favorite NASCAR game. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Heavily considering editing the OP by just Find/Replacing every instance of "Farm" or "Farming" with "hit rocks w/hammer".

The OP posted:

So, we’re hitting rocks with a hammer?

Yeah, pretty much. This game keeps the traditional Harvest Moon elements of finding and shattering rocks, maintaining hammers, trading goods with various locals and such. There will be a lot of chatter with random townsfolk.

Seems legit.

And honestly, between Tale of Two Towns and Stardew Valley (it's a Harvest Moon game, dammit :mad:) hammer upkeep is surprisingly necessary, yes.

• Locked thread