Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

What’s Rune Factory?

Rune Factory is a spinoff of the popular Harvest Moon series of farming RPGs, incorporating more fantasy and combat elements. The subtitle is “A Fantasy Harvest Moon”, if you don’t believe me. It came out in 2007 for the DS.

Are there any Runes or Factories?

Not really.

EDIT: I lied there are totally runes in this game.

So, we’re farming?

Yeah, pretty much. This game keeps the traditional Harvest Moon elements of harvesting and planting crops, maintaining a farm, trading goods with various locals and such. There will be a lot of chatter with random townsfolk.

Edit: I lied again gently caress farming in this game.

Wait, I thought there was combat?

Oh, there is. Between the farming, we’ll be rushing headlong into dangerous caves and dungeons to murder us a bevy of monsters, gather additional resources, and progress the plot. There’s kind of a plot.

How are you handling this LP?

I’m using screenshot, because there is a ton of grinding involved in certain parts of this game. I’ll try to show off as much content as I can, but this is a pretty big game and I’m pretty bad at it, so I might miss a sidequest here or there or whatever.

Audience Participation?

I mean yeah sure, I’ll be sure have votes for a few things. Names for monsters we tame, which fantasy stereotype we try to marry, the name of our fine farming establishment, etc. If you don’t want our main character to be named “Raguna” feel free to call that out too.

UPDATE: We only have Five Characters of space for monster names! It sucks, but restriction fosters creativity! (nothing is getting named DONGS)

why do you keep playing games with anime

gently caress i don’t know why does this keep happening to me send help

Table Of Contents:

Update 1: An Intro To Anime Farming

Update 2: Here's Donny!

Update 3: Kardia

Update 4: Hi, I'm Donnel.

Update 5: So, You’re Living On Mist’s Farm?

Update 6: Getting The Boot

Update 7: Carmite Cave Commences

Update 8: Continuation, Concerning Carmite Cave

Update 9: Conclusion of Carmite Cave

Update 10: Axe Around

Update 11: Monster Mash

Update 12: Honey For Nothing, Fish For Free

Update 13: Requiem For A Sheep

Update 14: The Cookie Conundrum

Update 15: Chimera Clash

Update 16: Rescue Mission

Update 17: A Canine Companion

Update 18: Mining Miscellanea

Update 19: The Cook-Off

Update 20: Donnel, MD: Episode 1

Update 21: Donnel, MD: Season Finale: Never Lupus

Update 22: A Layman's Guide To Cave Botany

Update 23: Bovine At An Incline

Update 24: Spelunking Somalier

Update 25: Grimoire and Marriage Results

Update 26: i hate this

Update 27: Hello, Neumann

Update 28: The Worst Legendary Sword

Update 29: Get Rich Quick

Update 30: Fifteen Screenshots Of Donnel Hitting A Stump

Update 31: A Treasure Hunt Miracle

Update 32: Love or Money

Update 33: An Eventful Harvest

Update 34: Forge Onward

Update 35: Fall Finale Festivities

Update 36: mistybloomcavehappens

Update 37: I Do-nnel

Update 38: Ruining My Marriage

Update 39: Battlebots

Update 40: Couple's Therapy

Update 41: Please Use The Game Mechanics

Update 42: Villains and Vehicles

Update 43: Final Preparations

Update 44: Getting Greedy

Update 45: Shadow Dragon?

Update 46: A Terrable Last Stand

Epilogue

:frog: MARRIAGE POLL IS CLOSED :froggonk:
Marriage Poll and Voting Instructions!

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 1: An Intro To Anime Farming

I think NeverLand is the only thing I haven’t heard of since this game. A quick google shows they shut down. What a promising start!

This logo is on the top screen for this whole intro, so I’m not going to include it in the rest of these.

The camera sweeps over some hills as some J-pop plays. Really just insert whatever music you want here.

Our farm will never look this nice in the game.

Mostly because this guy is incompetent.

Mostly because it’s me. Also what the gently caress is going on under our anime eyeballs.

charmingruralimagery.jpg

Our hero spots something as his eyebrows creep over his own hair.

Oh, it’s an-

AGH. This seriously cuts in like the drat Ring.

Reactions to this LP pictured above.

Or that, maybe.

Probably that.

Impending dragon immolation is no excuse for not giving eachother loving (?) glances.

And now we cut to this.

Ugh. I hated Doors of Pharros.

Cave Farming is a central mechanic in this game. Don’t question it too much.

It is winter, and this young anime cannot properly close the window. She will likely freeze to death.

Planting this tree in the winter would be a poor choice, I think, but it seems to have worked out.

Success has come to our farm! Another thing you will not see outside the intro.

get those cotton balls off of your head

Oh no, they’re multiplying.

The valley is infested.

Alright, I’m going to need a little help here. I need you all to name that guy on the right. That guy from the intro.

That dork. We’re gonna need a good name for him. I think the limit is 7 characters. Same for the farm, which also needs a name. Or we could go for the defaults, which are “Raguna” and something silly for the farm I can’t remember at the moment, but I’m sure we’ll want to change it.

Bold your protagonist and farm name ideas, and we’ll get to the actual gameplay next time.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 1, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 2: Here’s Donny!

Time to get this show on the rural dirt road. Sadly, this update is mostly tutorial and (dull) exposition. But I whack a thing with a hoe so look forward to that.

I mean, after this save screen. You get 2 saves in Rune Factory. You might want to have a back up, because there is a game breaking, save corrupting bug in this game.

I’m not making a great first impression here.

Our hero wanders into view.

He’s not feeling so hot.

Well, so much for that main character. Anyone have any backup names?

Thankfully, “girl” emerges from that nearby hut.

At least she’s having fun.

: Ooh, that’s not healthy! Hold on a sec.

She reenters and leaves the house.

Verge of starvation, but still healthy enough for a practice swing!

: Oh, right. Water! Okay, wait just one moment.

Don’t just pour that poo poo on the ground! (I will do this probably 200 times in the game)

: Uh...actually, I meant some drinking water.

: Oh! Here you go, bread and water!

There’s an eating sound effect to distract you from them not putting a bread sprite here.

: Oh, it’s nothing! Say, you’re not from this town, are you? Are you on a trip or something?

: Well… to be honest… I don’t really know myself.

: What do you mean you don’t know?

: I don’t remember where I was before coming here. I don’t even know who I am…

I know you all love this plot point.

: Maybe…

: Do you remember your name?

: No…

: Well, everyone needs a name.

: That’s true.

: Why don’t you pick one right now?

That’s a dumb name. When I was younger I remember just taking off the last two letters and naming this man after a pasta sauce.

I will never escape Fire Emblem. The shadow of Wyverns hants me to this day.

HERE’S DONNY

: You do? Thanks. What’s your name, by the way?

Something about a desert and some weird dragon cult or some poo poo. (YOU BROUGHT THESE JOKES ON YOURSELVES)

: I’m trying to find an inhabited town… I haven’t thought past that part yet.

: In that case, I have an empty house and field that you can use.

The timeshare market is soaring in Kardia.

: I… I don’t know what to say… But no, I couldn’t possibly…

: Don’t be silly! I’m not using them anyway. Besides, I meant what I said before. I think you look like a farmer!

: Do you really think I have what it takes to work a farm?

: Um...well...I think you have talent!

We are going to starve.

: Okay…

And we finally hit gameplay! So, the HP bar should be pretty self explanatory. RP (Rune Points) is sort of a Stamina Meter, performing any action consumes that. We can set the B and X buttons to various things, which is why they’re down there.

Exploring our start menu, we can check our stats and inventory here. None of this really matters yet. But yes, you can use the Hoe as a weapon.

You can also use the watering can. And it’s elemental.

The second tab houses our skills. Donnel sucks at everything.

The third tab means we have no friends.

This will be an overview of our farm, eventually, when it’s not complete garbage.

We can use the fifth tab to track how much garbage we shove in the shipping box.

The sixth tab is a shocking reveal that Mist does not give a poo poo about us.

And this last one is for key items. We have none yet. Now that that’s out of the way…

Here we are on the farm. It, uh, looks great.

One of her homes. She has two.

: Yeah, but I’m not asking you to let me work on the land here or anything.

: Don’t worry about that. It’s better for me to get all the help I can!

: B...but…

: This is the field. I have not done any work on it for a while, so it’s overgrown.

That’s not normal.

This wolfman in a nice coat represents the specter of gentrification in this poor community.

: What? There’s a monster here! Step back, Mist! You got any kind of weapon?

Combat is pretty wonky in this game. That square on the ground doesn’t really represent where you’re going to hit well, as I whiffed this hit.

Got ‘im that time. The hoe can knock down enemies. You can also charge it up for a stronger hit. A lot of weapons share these properties, less lovely ones.

The soul flies off the screen, and I’ve accidentally made progress tilling this soil. Speedrunners, take note.

: I’m also okay. But I think I killed the monster.

: Oh, no, it’s just fine.

: What?

: Weapons and tools have a kind of magic called “Retornen”!

Screenshot included to prove I didn’t make that up.

: It’s a kind of magic that sends monsters back to their original place.

: Original place?

PETA signs off on Rune Factory.

: Oh really? Well...I’m glad that I didn’t kill it!

: Anyway, I was impressed by you there! Did you learn swordsmanship somewhere?

That was a hoe.

: I may have, but my memory…

: Oh, yeah.

I really like to imagine an awkward pause here.

: Don’t they usually appear above ground?

: There are people called Earthmates who can summon the monsters.

Holy poo poo Donnel let her finish a single paragraph.

: Really?

: Well, anyway, you saved me! Thank you so much.

: Hey, it’s nothing.

: Donnel, I really owe you for this!

: No, really it was nothing.

I seem to recall that being the arrangement before the monster hoe battle.

Let’s be honest, Donnel is destined to work this lovely field for the rest of his days.

: You’ll work here! I’m so happy.

: But, why are you doing so much for me?

: I’m not really sure...I feel that you have potential.

: Potential?

Solid Snake is getting a run for his money.

: Yeah, I feel that you seem to understand the ways of the earth.

: Is that so?

Actual mental health care is still considered heresy in the world of Rune Factory.

: Oh, really? In that case, I’d be happy to work on the fields for a while.

: Great. Just get out there and get working.

: Okay.

So, all the basic farm tutorials sorta get shoved here. I shortened most of them a little bit, but I’m including them, because the game explains things pretty well. If you don’t want to read them, feel free to scroll down until I say “Mechanics Chat is done now.”

How do you plow the fields?

We’ll need to get all that random poo poo off the ground before we can start farming here. That means shoving most of it in our pockets.

: Press the B Button to use the hoe. The icon of the item you’re using appears at the bottom right of the screen.

How do you grow vegetables?

: Press the L and B buttons together to change the item you are holding. It’s important to remember you can only sow vegetable seeds in plowed areas. Press the L and B Buttons together to change the item you are holding from a hoe to seeds. Press the B button to sow the seeds.

This is the big important thing. You make sorta 3x3 squares with each seed packet.

: Next, water the seeds with the watering can.

: You can water 12 squares each time you fill the watering can.

(I just wanted to include this shot for the two typos)

This is important.

This is generally good advice in real life too. This update has caused me to collapse twice already.

What are HP and RP?

That’s really all you need to know about this one. Pretty much ANYTHING decreases Rune Points. Run out, and you start using your HP instead. It is easy to watering can yourself to death in this game.

: Why? What would happen to me?

You’d go to the First Forest.

: You recover HP and RP by sleeping in your bed. It’s best to go to bed early if you get tired. Anyway, no matter what you will automatically fall asleep if you are still up at 6am. You can’t work 24 hours!

Mechanics Chat is done now.

Alright, nearly done here.

: Use them to grow some vegetables.

This is actually 9 seeds because of how the planting works. Nice!

Mist, you conceited rear end in a top hat.

Donnel is only interested in that sweet EXP.

: Wow! How exciting! What a great name!

Mist loves grinding.

: Okay, I’ll be here at lunchtime tomorrow, so ask me then if there’s anything you need to know.

I went ahead and tilled the field in a 3x3 square here. I know there’s an outlier there, but I was just too lazy to also pick up the log. conserving RP!

Take out the seeds.

Do an 80’s victory leap.

And we’ve got us a Radish Square!

As I try to water it I see that Mist only left one charge on the watering can. What an rear end.

Time to resupply. (Note how my RP is decreasing fast. It’s pretty limited early on.)

And that’s it for the day. I won’t go into this in such detail in the future, just wanted to show off the basic rotation.

Up north of the field is a whole lot of nothing. For now.

Time to explore our new house.

Well, it’s spacious, at least. The Donnel head on the top screen has also entered the house.

All we really have so far is the aforementioned bed, which ends the day, and the diary.

It saves the game. Not too surprising.

If we check the picture frame…

How long have you been there?

: You can draw what you like on that screenshot here. Apparently the screenshot that you drew on can be exchanged with friends at the strange shell on the beach.

This is a lie, since Nintendo Wi-Fi for the DS has been terminated.

Don’t do this.

Screenshots? That sounds dumb.

Oh, we have this shelf too, but we don’t have anything here yet. Apparently the omniscient text box knows we can fill it up with Ivan, though.

We have a whole town to explore now, but that’s enough for one update. Join us next time while I hunt down a bunch of characters and have to make like 20 more portraits.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 9, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Gnoman posted:

Please don't fill your kitchen shelves with townsfolk. It won't end well.

There are no police in this game, there are no laws, Donnel will do what he must for the sake of Farm.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hah, I didn't even know you did a Fire Emblem LP, I was just trying to think of some farmer-warrior to name him after.

Anyway, I only have RF3, so I don't know what's gonna happen here. Mist already seems pretty suspicious though.

Mist is really just pushing indentured servitude on random amnesiacs.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 3: Kardia

(Note: Hey, so, there are a lot of character portraits in this update, and holy crap some of them are sorta grainy (ANN ANN ANN). That's my bad, but the official art for the characters who have it doesn't squish too well. I'll be looking into ways to improve that as we go on.

Note of note: Hey, thanks to some help from Lotus, the portraits no longer suck. Thanks again!)

Now that Donnel has suddenly acquired real estate and a business, he needs to begin networking. We’ll do that by trying to barge into every house and business in the town.

Sadly, we happened to stumble into town on the ubiquitous “HOLIDAY”, so pretty much everything is closed.

Kardia is separated into 4 tiers and a beach. We’ll be going clockwise around. First is “MATERIAL ITEMS”, the worst named store of all time.

To the left of that is the hospital, where we eavesdrop on this man’s checkup.

Sweet god look at that doctor’s mustache.

: Lara, fetch me the usual nutrition drink, could you?

Everyone in Kardia still buys V8. No wonder farming is so lucrative.

: OK.

: Thanks, Dr. Edward. You always help me out. And not just that, everyone in the town is thankful you came here.

: When I came to this town, I finally felt like my true self for the first time. I believe that it’s vital for us to live in harmony with the earth...I’m the one who should be thankful.

: I’m so happy to hear that. Okay, that’s it for today.

: Take care.

Godwin walks right past Donnel without acknowledging him. He refuses to technically meet us until the plot demands it. I am going to introduce myself to these other NPCs though.

Expect to see this guy a lot as I water myself to exhaustion in my own yard.

: Hey, you’re the guy who came to Mist’s farm! Nice to meet you.

: Nice to meet you.

I’m beginning to think Donnel is incapable of speech unless he’s repeating what someone just said.

I refuse to take this advice.

One more building to the left is the Hot Spring (Don’t worry, I’ll include a map at the end if you get confused)

Building 1 on the second tier here is the Hot Spring.

We can’t go in there yet.

Rounding out this side is Neumann’s Farm. This will be a source of much grinding later, but for now, no one’s home.

The third tier only has 2 buildings, and the one on the left side is Mayor Godwin’s house.

Which he has apparently locked himself inside since we last saw him at the hospital.

Over to the right, we have some benches and this strange fellow.

: Hello, my name’s Ivan. I’m a traveling salesman.

: My name is Donnel. How are you doing?

: I’m here on the holiday every week. So come along anytime, eh?

: Yeah, okay.

We will be wanting to do that. We have no money right now, but Ivan sells some pretty important stuff for our house.

The fourth tier of town is entirely this square here. Honestly it’s not too important, but sometimes festivals and things take place here.

Back on the right of Tier 3, this is where the best character in the game lives. But he’s not here at the moment. We could go inside, but there’s nothing and no one to see right now.

South of the mansion there is this church. It is actually open.

Ah, the Sorta-Cross, the sorta-symbol of vaguely-Christianity.

: I don’t know!

The juvenile delinquents run away.

: Phew... I’m pleased you’re happy, but I wish you wouldn’t play such tricks!

Let’s greet the poor priest/rabbi/sheik/cleric/bighatman

: My name is Donnel. How do you do?

: It’s very nice to meet you. I hope to see you at church on holidays.

: Thank you.

Oh whoops I accidentally tried to put out your scented candles, sorry Wesley.

Wesley’s a cool guy, but there’s honestly not much to do at the church, so we won’t be seeing him all that much.

Camus’s (i cannot escape the past) Farm is to the left of the church, very close to Neumann’s.

We cannot go in yet, naturally.

The blacksmith’s is also a no-go.

The inn, though…

: I’m going to Carmite Cave right now, so I’ve no time to wash my face.

Both of these kids are supposed to be like, in their 20’s I think? Despite acting like 10 year olds.

: Those kids of mine! What? A customer was here? What if they saw me flapping about?

: Thanks, but I already have a place to stay.

: Oh, it’s you! You’re the one living with Mist, right?

News travels fast in about 3 hours, I guess.

: That’s right. My name’s Donnel.

: I’m Lady Ann.

Is that her first name or like a nickname, or...

I mean, they could have if they both didn’t awkwardly just shuffle past us. We’ll see them in time.

The last building in town is the pub.

This one is also closed, but not for the usual Holiday reason. It’s just too early. We’ll be back, after we check out the beach on the right edge of town.

I’m pretty sure you had to swim into that thing in Donkey Kong 64.

I’m always surprised by DK64.

: I’m Sabrina. I run that seaside shack over there.

: My name’s Donnel.

: Oh, you’re the one Mist caught hold of.

: Huh?

Don’t look under the shelf, Donnel. Just don’t, it’s not worth it.

A glowing recommendation from the weird shell woman.

: Anyway, that mysterious shell over there is connected to other worlds! Apparently you can exchange messages and items with people from those other worlds.

This is another Wi-Fi thing. Again, impossible now. Also this means one of the marriageable characters is unattainable now, because you needed an item from here. Ah well.

This dock and Sabrina’s shack will be helpful places for some early game cash making.

However, HOLIDAY again. But we can enter the pub now, so...

: No, he’s not been here.

: Oh really? Let me know if you see him.

: Sure will. Anyway, gonna stay for a drink?

: I’d love to, but I gotta find Zavier. See you around.

: Is the coast clear?

I’m not sure why Emmett asks that, considering he was the one watching out for Zavier but eh look this update is dragging and I’m joke desperate.

: Thanks, Emmett.

: That’s the last time I let you hide here!

: Okay, got it. Thanks. Catch you later.

He seems like a nice guy, and he will never stop clutching that wine bottle.

: The name’s Donnel. Nice to meet you too.

: Ah, you’re the guy who came to live on Mist’s farm. Or so the rumor has it.

Even Donnel is getting second thoughts here.

: It seems that she likes you a bit, too. Well, good luck!

You can’t fool me, Emmett. I saw the friendship menu last update.

Now, unlike pretty much everywhere else we can visit on Holidays, Emmett’s pub is actually open for business.

Emmett sells a lot of food. It’s expensive, but can be handy in surviving in dungeons, because it’s way more filling and restorative than just shoving raw vegetables in your mouth.

Now that we’ve seen all of the town we can see for now, I spent the rest of my RP tilling some extra field squares.

And, with that done, it’s time for bed.

A new day means a new full bar of HP and RP, and we always wake up at 6 AM.

And it looks like Donny has guests!

Here he comes.

Holy poo poo

Look at that man

I’m in love.

AFTER HIM, DONNEL! (Next time.)

Here’s the map as promised, by the way. I could have just stolen one of the existing ones online, but no, this is my second screenshot LP, I’m clearly at a higher tier. The MS paint tier.

I’ve made a grave mistake.

Next time, we’ll finish up the meet n’ greet and get gearing up for some adventure/farming.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 4, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I interrupt this important Mustache V. Jasper Romantics Debate to bring good news.

The LP farm has received a generous bounty in the form of new portraits by Lotus to help make up for my terrible portrait making skills! And they're good!

Look at that Ann! She doesn't look like a slime monster anymore!

Thanks to this generous donation, upcoming updates will look much less bad. Play will not improve in the slightest.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Jasper is typically completely sober, if that answers your question.

I think Emmett is the only one who drinks outside of cutscenes, to be honest. (For good reason; wine is a lovely-rear end recovery item.)

Pretty much, although we will have a sidequest later that revolves around drunken mistakes. Not Donnel's, sadly.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Is anyone else kinda creeped out by Donnel's in-game portrait?

He's got these weird things under his eyes, I'm not totally sure why.

Alavaria posted:

Though according to the map, Donnel's house is larger than Mist's house...

Though perhaps it doubles as a factory

The map is not entirely to scale, except for the Jaspers.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One thing's for sure, which is that Donny shouldn't ever marry Mist. We mustn't let the Stockholm Syndrome win!

I mean we'll see how the voting goes, maybe the thread has it too.

Linnear posted:

I just started on RF 4, and I miss some these simpler character designs in the first one. Anyway, I thought Bianca's gimmick was surprisingly charming.

I've never played any of the later RF games, but reading the LP of 4 I can definitely see that.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 4: Hi, I’m Donnel

Welcome back. It’s finally not a holiday, so we can get to meeting the rest of the townsfolk, as well as actually checking out some of the shops. There’s a fuckload of dialogue in this one, so I’ve split it into two updates although it’s just one day. (I promise there will actually be gameplay soon.)

It’s raining today.

That means I don’t have to water these crops today. Good. More RP for me.

Today we can actually enter “Parts”.

Or uh, we could, if I knew what “time” was.

I passed the time by tilling some more squares until this happened!

We’re Level 2 in Farming now. Higher levels in the Farming skill will cut the RP costs of things like using hoes and watering cans. Most skills do that to their corresponding actions, but there are some special skills as well. Though we won’t have to worry about that for a long time.

It’s around 8:00 or so now, and the fields are looking far more tilled. Donnel, however, is getting the urge to explore.

This little path is east of Mist’s house.

There’s a cave! But Donnel is terrified of dark spaces. It’s okay, Donnel. You’ll get there.

Or maybe he just read the sign.

Well, good to keep that in mind, I guess. However, for the first of many times in this update, Donnel’s socialization senses have kicked in. There’s an easy to miss townsperson who needs to be aggressively greeted.

Pretty much as far west as can be travelled from Donnel’s farm, we find this lady.

I hope you like this line.

Jesus that’s not a necklace that’s a cage on your neck

: Is there a reason that I should be?

: My name’s Sharron. I’m always searching the Kasimir Ruins. The townsfolk always seem to be frightened of the fact that I’m always alone in this kind of place.

: It’s not a bad thing to be into ruins. It’s kinda mysterious.

I think it’s less the Ruins thing and more your gray pupil-less eyeballs, Sharron.

: Ha ha ha!

Oh. Well, uh, bye.

Let’s just go to PARTS.

This man spins around. It’s very cinematic and hard to capture via screenshots, so please rotate your monitor/phone to achieve the desired effect. Thanks.

: What! Daddy, those ones go here. How many times do I have to tell you?! You’d be lost without me!

I think we see who the true mastermind behind the PARTS is.

: I’m Donnel.

: It’s a pleasure to meet you, Donnel! Where are you staying?

: I’m staying at Mist’s farm.

Donnel is regretting so many actions right now.

: What do you mean, ‘suckered’?

: Let me guess. She told you, “I think you have talent,” right?

: Hey, how did you know that?

: I know because that’s what she says to everyone!

Oh gently caress it’s a Ponzi scheme. The ol’ Amnesiac Ponzi scheme.

: Well, I didn’t have anywhere else to stay, so I’m grateful she took me in.

: Since you’re staying at a farm, you could probably use some supplies. My house is an item shop, so feel free to stock up on things.

: Thanks.

So, instead of directly selling crops, we can just dump them in those boxes by our house and Rosetta will sell them for us. We can also dump garbage in there if we just want to mess with her.

: No. My name is Donnel.

: Thank you.

: Say, where are you staying at, Donnel?

: I’m renting a farm outside of town.

: Is something the matter with her?

: No, no. Of course not. Just a bit strange, is all.

Stranger than the Ruins Cage Neck Woman?

: Sometimes it’s hard to figure out if she’s being serious, or just spacing out.

: Ha ha...Yeah, I think I know what you mean.

Well, that’s enough PARTS for one day. Now that we’ve discovered Mist’s dastardly schemes, let’s go to the Library and read up on the local indentured servitude laws.

: Perhaps you should read a book sometime.

Don’t make fun of Neumann’s inability to open his eyes.

: Ha ha ha!

Oh boy I hope you’re ready for some Fantasy Names for real life animals.

: Okay, sorry to disturb you, Russell. It was a nice distraction for me.

Do they...hate each other? I can’t tell.

: Hi, I’m Donnel.

: Nice to meet you. So you must be the one who came to Mist’s farm.

: Yes.

: We also sell books here at the library. We have a variety of interesting titles, so please drop by now and then.

Oh poo poo, Donnel can be a wizard.

: I...work at the library…

(Oh boy I’m not looking forward to transcribing this character’s dialogue.)

: Hi, I’m Donnel.

: Oh… so you’re the one... who came to Misty’s farm…

: That’s right.

: I thought so… Will you be in town long?

: I’m not sure yet, but I’m in no hurry to leave.

: I see… Well… I look forward to seeing you around…

: Thanks.

There are also children here. Donnel is a friend to all children.

: My name’s Donnel.

I was considering doing a “My Name’s Donnel” counter for this update, but I figured that joke would get old fast. Also the last time I did a counter I managed to gently caress up counting.

: That’s a nice name. It’s nice to meet you, Donnel. You know what? I like to collect all kinds of stones. Hee hee! If you find any good ones, give ‘em to me, okay?

This seems like a good place to note that, like in a lot of these games, you can give the NPC’s gifts to raise their affection levels towards you for various benefits. They all like different things. Cecilia likes rocks.

Alright, that’s enough talking to random kids. (For one screenshot.) Let’s check out those magic books.

Right now Russell only sells one book, Teleport. It’s expensive as poo poo for now.

Magic in Rune Factory costs a portion of your RP, and is infinite use once you’ve purchased it.

: I’m Donnel. And you are?

: Nicholas. Nice to meet you.

: Nice to meet you, Nicholas.

: So, where are you from, Donnel?

: Actually, I don’t remember… Right now, Mist is letting me stay on her farm.

And that’s the end of that conversation.

The Hot Springs are here, but again we are stymied by time. Honestly, the opening time for the Hot Springs being so late sorta hamstrings its usefulness, but I’ll talk about that more once we can get in. For now though, Neumann’s farm is next door.

: No, I didn’t see him today.

: Right...Okay, sorry to bother you.

Sabrina starts to head out of the store.

...Huh.

Okay, I swear these shots are not out of order. He just shouts this. The script for Rune Factory is a little wonky sometimes.

: Ha-ha-ha! You’re the one that came to the fabled Mist’s place.

: It’s nice to meet you.

: Oh yeah, that place of yours is cramped and falling apart, eh? Let me know if you ever need any home improvements! I’ll make a home from that house!

Hoo boy, this is the big grinding spot. Let’s see what Neumann wants for that.

Holy gently caress. For reference, every one of those logs you saw on the farm? That’s 1 wood. There are some faster ways, but no matter how you slice it, this is going to take a long time. Tom Nook, eat your heart out.

Rune Factory is getting real on you here.

...Can we trick him?

drat, we nearly tricked him with our 100G.

Neumann also sells some ingredients. They’re mostly overpriced and we’ll be able to make them ourselves eventually anyway. That thing on top is Monster Feed, but we’ll be able to make that even cheaper and easier soon.

: Nice to meet you too. I’m Donnel.

: Ahh, you’re the one who came to Mist’s farm, eh? It’s all over town.

: So it seems.

: It must be hard to lose your memory. I hope you can get it back soon.

That’s nice. Next up is Godwin’s house.

Hell yeah

: I’d like the festivals involving food to be held at the Sainte-Coquille home again this year. I hope they’ll be grand affairs!

: Work hard, think of how you can help the town develop.

: Of course I will, Mr. Mayor. Okay I have to go now.

There’s no punctuation there in the script either. Jasper has no time for commas.

: I wonder what I can do for the town.

: Thank you, Felicity. I’m always happy that you are thinking of our town. But for now I want you to put your health first and get better, okay? I don’t want you to overdo it.

Felicity is sick with some mystery fantasy disease. She still has a job, though, so she’s apparently pretty tough for someone withering away from magic malaria or whatever.

: Okay, I got it.

Let’s greet the mayor.

: Ah, you’re the guy who came to Mist’s farm, eh? I’d like to give you a big Kardia welcome!

: Thank you very much.

: I hope you stay in the town for a long time.

As someone pointed out earlier, Godwin’s similar look to Dracula makes this sound pretty shady.

Now, Godwin’s house serves a gameplay function. To get into the various caves (Dungeons), we’ll need passes from him, like that sign said. Let’s try and get one.

: Ah, passes to caves, eh? I’m the one who issues them. Since there are monsters in the caves, I don’t issue passes to just anyone.

So we have our first concrete objective. To get into the first dungeon, we’ll need to till 100 squares of field.

That seems like a good stopping point for now, so I don’t flood this with screens. Next time, we’ll finally finish up the town exploration and start preparations for Carmite Cave.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 28, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Oh, some images were out of order in the library part. I fixed those, my bad.

KataraniSword posted:

Don't try to do magic in RF1. It's not worth it.

I'll get into this in more detail later (Although you pretty much covered it there just fine.) but yeah, magic is not great. Heal can be pretty handy (I'm pretty sure you can count the number of games where heal spells are bad on one hand), but otherwise I usually ignore it. I'll show off some of the other spells though, just for LP purposes.

If I could embed audio clips I'd be sorely tempted.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

No kidding, japanese writers just seems to loving love including someone dying from some wasting disease or two in their plots.

Don't worry, we will be exploring the implications of the Arcane Alzheimers later. It's dumb, but like, charmingly dumb.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So as far as romanceable characters go, we have the nerd, the sick girl, the spooky ghost/cage-neck-:wtc: girl, the "vanilla" girl (Mist), the shopkeeper, and the kid-that-means-you're-a-pedophile.

I'm getting some flashbacks to Azure Dreams here.

We thankfully cannot romance the literal child. We can just give her rocks we find on the ground until she thinks we're cool.

There's also a few characters we haven't met, and one that's like goddamn impossible to run into and literally impossible to marry now because Wi Fi shenanigans.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 5: So, You’re Living On Mist’s Farm?

No time for an intro we’re going to Jasper’s pad oh boy

Bianca you wear the same thing for this entire game.

Since you can’t really hear it through “dcapture_163.png” I should let you know, Tabatha has a really thick accent. I don’t know what it is. I think it’s Scottish, but I’m a dumb American so like it could be anything.

: He he! I know you’re from the countryside, but you’ve been a maid here for many years.

Don’t go to the South Side of Kardia. That’s where Donnel lives.

: Daddy praised me on my fashion sense!

I know I should be using the portraits here but no you’re all gonna see full size Jasper.

: No! They look so good on you!

: He he!

: Ma’am, aren’t you going to change your clothes?

Bianca is quick and nimble when she needs to be. (i’m sorry)

: Got it.

: Ah, you’re the one that came to Mist’s farm, eh? It’s nice to make your acquaintance.

: And yours too.

Good to know.

: I’ll say this now. If you want to talk seriously with me, you better clean your act up. Got it?

: Er, yeah.

Ironically Bianca is probably the least complicated character to gain relationship points with in the game. You just have to talk to her a lot.

Dammit Donnel you dumb hillbilly.

: Okay, Jasper it is.

: I’m the richest person in this town and I’m also a gastronomist!

This is my favorite “My name is Donnel.”

: Hmm, I see. By the way, do you know where I can get hold of some tasty food? I’m always in search of new flavors.

I talked to him again, just because it’s Jasper.

It was worth it. By the way, there’s sort of an out of the way secret here in Jasper’s house. It’s time to steal from our new friends.

It’s hard to tell, but this is a door.

It leads to a basement. And if you check out those boxes…

I don’t know what he’s referring to. This might be a sequence break.

Oh poo poo it’s the fuzz.

: You know about it?

: It’s some kind of bottle for putting medicine in. I wonder what it’s doing here. It’s in the way, so just take it.

Well, we’ve gotten an Empty Bottle now. You can take this to Edward, he’ll make medicine if you provide him with some ingredients. It restores a pretty good amount of HP. Not as versatile as some other video game bottles, but helpful all the same.

Speaking of Edward, let’s go to his son’s farm.

: Okay, I got it. You’re saying I’m naive!

: A man sees something through to the end before speaking of his dreams.

And then he leaves and Donnel feels very awkward.

Oh hey, I found Camus! 5 updates and we’ve made more progress than in the last LP I did.

: My name’s Donnel, nice to meet you!

: Oh, you’re the one Mist got her clutches in.

: Uh...yeah…

: She’s a real character, isn’t she? Don’t worry, she’s not that bad once you get used to her.

: Okay…

This guy read my map.

This is an important thing.

There are no “animals” in this game, just monsters.

We’ll be able to tame them in a very silly and ridiculous way with an item we get later. Some monsters can accompany us in combat, others will help out on the farm, others produce eggs and milk and such.

: Your farm can hold up to seven monster huts, Donnel. And each hut can house up to four monsters. If that’s still not enough, you can build room underneath the huts. You can build up to two underground floors per hut. You’ll probably have a hard time getting that many monsters, though.

So, quick Math Break, 7 * 4 * 3= 84 Monsters at max capacity. That’s more than enough for one of everything. Which is good. Also, one potential wife requires you to have 50 monsters, which takes forever.

I already tutorialed that Camus.

Much more reasonable than Neumann’s highway robbery. Still, these are less useful and you’ll want to make more than one.

Now for another helpful character.

This is Sword Leo’s Smithery. We’ll need to come here to upgrade our tools. It’s useful.

He doesn’t wanna a hoe.

: A sword, aye? So...what kin’ of sword ya want?

: A sword like...like Grimoire’s sword.

: Grimoire’s sword!? Well, it ‘taint easy to git ‘old of, and even if ya did, ya wouldn’t know what to do wit’ it, aye?

Camus is king of typos today.

Nobody likes Camus.

: What? What did ya say?

: Nothing, I’m off.

: Hmm, come over here if ya ever need a hoe or sword forgin’ aye?

Or an axe, or a watering can, or a fishing rod...Leo’s versatile.

: Thanks, I will.

Leo also sells lots of weapons. The stats are on the top screen, but I cut them out because I’m a gently caress up I didn’t want to overload you with information! We’ll look at them later, but, suffice to say, that first weapon, the Broadsword, is already far better than our current best weapon...the Hoe.

We can actually go into the Seaside Shack now.

: So what are you doin’ here?

: Ha ha ha! Just killing time.

: I can’t idle about like you. You’re gettin in the way of my business! Get outta here!

: You never change, eh? Okay, I’m going, I’m going.

: Yes, Nicholas. If I miss work, I’ll get in trouble with your mom!

: But, I wanted to go and play at the beach!

: We’ll do that next time. Come over to my place when I don’t have work.

: Yay!

Sabrina sells...uh...food and a squid. And a turtle shell. There’s not much of importance here. But...

I could have done this on Day 1 too, but I forgot. Whoops. If you go to the end of the dock here…

: Do you have a rod?

: No, not yet.

: That’s okay. You’re welcome to use one of my old models.

: Sure! Here you go!

: Thank you!

Oh...good. Alright, so, fishing!

Fishing works how fishing has worked in almost every video game since the beginning of time. You cast the lure. When it starts wiggling, you hit B again. The timing is, thankfully, super generous, if you’re like me and playing with some lag issues or a lovely B button.

Donnel triumphantly hoists the Sardine over his head.

I went fishing for a few hours (ingame time) here and caught about...6 or 7 sardines. We’ll be able to get better fish with a better rod, or fishing in different spots.

Selling them to Sabrina, you can see that the Sardines have wildly varying prices. That’s because each fish has a “level”. The base price for a Sardine is 20G, but it gets multiplied by its level. More fishing skill, better chances for high level fish.

The whole catch came out to 300 G here. Not too bad for some spare change between harvests.

I figured that, with our new money, we’d get some new seeds. To PARTS!

This weirdo is here.

: So you came to hear of my heroic exploits?

Why do people keep doing that?

Okay this was a mistimed screenshot but it was far too good for me to want to fix it. Just assume this is the dialog.

(he was supposed to say “details”)

: Get outta here!

: Okay! I’m going!

Well, that was enough innuendo for one update.

I lied.

: I have an old one you can have!

Once you’ve plowed a small amount of squares on your farm, Rosetta will give you this. This destroys weeds in one hit, but has another use we won’t need for a while.

: This should help you cut the weeds more easily!

Handy! But not what we came for.

Jean carries all sorts of seeds for each season. These are Turnips, which would be apparent had I not gotten crop happy.

I put them right next to the other batch.

And now I wait outside the baths for several hours.

There we go!

Why is there a wizard here?

: Ho ho ho!

: Hey, Donnel. The bathhouse is open every day, come and have a soak anytime you like.

I didn’t agree yet.

Wait what I didn’t say this was okay.

YOU ALREADY PAID, DONNEL.

Well, might as well.

Donnel you’re still standing outside the bath.

Well, it refilled all our RP. That’s nice.

I spent the rest of the day plowing. Gotta reach Godwin’s 100 square goal, after all.

Mist why are you in our house?

She does this.

That’s enough for one day. We’ve met basically the whole town by now (One or two characters remained undiscovered.), so we’ll get into the main flow of the game next time.

I’ll also go get that thing I forgot to get from Bianca. My bad.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

sheep-dodger posted:

How is this not the thread title?

Sadly people stop saying it after this update. Rune Factory 1 is kind of a janky game sometimes, because pretty much every character for these last few updates has had the same lines. Also:

theshim posted:

Those are some freakishly long arms :stare:

That.

I still like it though, despite a couple really baffling design decisions (For those who have played this, yes, I am talking about that one lake cave.) Updates might be more spread out now because we're out of the "everyone just saying the same thing" part. (it has nothing to do with some other games that may have come out recently that's nonsense)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Games like Tom Clancy's Stardew Valley: Primal?

Stardew Fates: Revelations Explorers: Prepare To Die Edition, actually. Though I hear that one's good.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 6: Getting The Boot

It’s time for some more Rune Factory. Today we’ll be watching an uninterrupted, single day in the life of fledgling farmer/victim of some sort of real estate scam, Donnel.

Back at the ol’ house.

The first crop there is progressing nicely, as you can see by them sprouting up. If you miss a single day of watering, everything dies. This is a bad mechanic but we’re gonna have to deal with it.

We have so many seeds now that watering takes two trips!

With that done, though, it’s time to make some money to save up for a sword. We won’t last long in Carmite Cave with our lovely Hoe.

Fishing again, this time out by the ruins. You get different fish in different places, I kept getting Cherry Salmon here as opposed to the flood of Sardines last time.

LIke this!

Also this. gently caress.

...Say...Sharron…

It was worth a shot.

Cool thanks crazy ghost.

A few hours later we have a nice bunch of fish out of this. This is also probably a good time to show off what some of the poo poo we found around the farm does.

10 HP is a tenth of our current, AKA jack poo poo. There’s a better use for these, though.

These are a bit more useful raw, curing Poison, which is an annoying status condition.

Here’s a better example of the Fish being leveled thing. Since this one is 17, it’s 10x17, 170G if we sell it.

Also I guess I missed a Sardine last time. And no, fish of the same type/level don’t stack, but you have so much inventory it’s not really a big deal.

I totally forgot whether or not this little dip west of your house is a fishable spot or not. Turns out, yes!

gently caress

Okay, hold on.

So, back to business. I forgot something at my favorite place, Jasper’s House.

:allears:

We’re just tanking Kardia’s property values.

: What?

: You’ll need wood to make improvements. Got an axe?

: Er… no, I don’t.

No she’s not.

Yeah, she was over there. Bianca, are you okay?

To the Jasper armory!

: As you so desire, Ma’am.

: I’m gonna give you this, so you better work hard! Make the house nice, eh?

This is going to be pretty crucial.

…”Too”? There were others?

Tabatha’s cool. I like Tabatha.

:allears: :allears:

Time to sell some fish.

490, not the best, but it’ll do for what I want to pick up next.

Gonna visit the Inn first, though, just to see what’s up.

There’s really almost no purpose in going to the Inn, ever, unless you really want to bother Ann here or meet a certain character.

Speaking of that.

: Oh!

: My name’s Mei. Don’t forget it!

: Mei. Okay got it.

: You’re so rude!

What did we do?

: So rude to your elders and those better!

: What? You’re older than me?

: I may look young, but I’m quite a bit older than you!

: Is that so?

: Why would I lie to you?

Well. Uh. That’s Mei.

We’ve met every potential marriageable character in the game now, I’ll find a way to like, set up a poll for that soon.

Yeah, I know Lynette is a potential wife post-game, but I don’t want to drag out the LP super long to farm friendship with EVERYONE after all of that. I will mention it, though.

Over at PARTS, here’s the last villager we haven’t technically met.

: You too. Are you thinking of settling down in this town?

: Well, who knows what tomorrow’s gonna bring. I could be here a while though.

Why is there a hole in his poet staff

: But there are too many pretty girls in other countries too.

: Oh, really?

Donnel is unaware of the concept of “other countries”.

When Donnel returns a strange beast seems to have laid an egg on his farm.

Oh, no, just a “Bamboo Sprout”.

I’m trying to snag 3 Medicinal Herbs for something here.

Now that I’ve got them, we’re off to the doctor’s office.

This is about all Lara will ever say.

Edward can make one type of potion. Remember that bottle from Jasper’s basement? This is its one use.

: First I’ll need three “medicinal herbs” and 400g. Is that okay?

Goodbye, fish money. :smith:

Edward also sells some medicines and stuff, but it’s pretty expensive, and we won’t need it yet.

The Recovery Potion takes the piddly 10 HP a piece from the Medicinal Herbs and gives you a much more sizable 150, AKA way more than we even have HP.

Back to fishing, though, because we should probably deal with that whole “weapon” issue.

A good sign.

The Ruins seem to have better selling fish, so I’m staying there.

The lighting changes when it hits 3:00 PM. This is a pretty nice effect, usually. Except here, where it looks like the lake has filled with urine.

Also here’s the only non-Cherry Salmon I caught.

Back to the house…Mist is waiting. Always.

: I brought you a present. I’m afraid it’s radish seeds again.

: Oh, thank you very much.

Mist, you already explained this.

And she already explained that.

: I explained this before, but the key to life on the farm is to earn money here.

I don’t think she sees Donnel’s pockets absolutely BULGING with fish.

: Okay, I got it.

: Don’t forget to water your crops once a day. Nothing will grow if you don’t.

Goodbye, Mist.

Welcome back, Mist.

Goodbye, Mist.

Also vaguely threatening.

Welp, let’s get these new seeds in.

I am becoming a master of watering.

Also, since I’m out of RP, you can see that Donnel’s HP is starting to be depleted instead. Nothing can go wrong.

The Pub is closer than Sabrina’s shack, so I sold the second batch of Fish there. Also the Bamboo Sprouts.

That’s a much better haul.

Oh and also the bamboo.

I also bought a congratulatory popcorn.

Off to Leo’s now, for the real reward.

This is a voice acted line and I love it.

Cheapest weapon here, but still very usable and extremely viable for this point in the game.

Taking a few practice swings.

The Broadsword has a combo level of 3, which just means it’s a three hit combo.

It’s late enough to go to the bath, so

OH GOD DONNEL’S GONE MAD WITH POWER. (I hit the wrong button)

Chill out, Donnel. You’ll feel better. Freshly cleaned, now back to the most eligible bachelor in town.

Well thanks, Leo.

Spending the rest of the night doing fieldwork, I should show off how the Axe works.

You hit a log with it and Wood is automatically added to your storage. No need to lug it around, which is nice.

The Hoeing continues.

So does the Axeing. Look, Donnel has perfect stamina. There’s nothing wrong with this.

Nothing. Wrong.

Well poo poo.

Next time, we mourn Donnel.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

McGwee posted:

Oh man, I played the hell outta this game when it came out. I broke it over my knee right quick... in till I realized that I had to wait in till winter while on the 2nd week of spring, good times.

Are you going to do that or play more casually?

Pretty casual playthrough here. You can totally rush through the first few dungeons if you get good with the combat and carry lots of food, but I'm pretty bad at this game and I want to sorta keep the lazy pace, show off the farming and the holidays, etc. I'll probably still get to that one bit you mentioned before winter, but hey, that's time to farm wood for the house upgrade.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 7: Carmite Cave Commences

Welcome back. Last time Donnel was so into farm maintenance that he collapsed.

Thankfully he is not dead.

When you run out of HP in the Overworld, you wake up the next day at Edward's at 10:00 AM. There are really no consequences other than that, so honestly sometimes it's a good time-saving strategy to just work yourself to death.

: It's okay to collapse outside, but collapsing in a cave is risking your life.

I refuse.

So hey we’ve got a full HP and RP bar. Collapsing is a pretty sweet deal.

Back to the ol’ watering grind. It’s becoming a little time consuming, so it’s nice that the first can upgrade will be available soon.

It also cuts into my RP like a motherfucker.

Now, I noticed that PARTS sells some “Special Items”, and I was curious as to what they were, so I dropped by there next.

I just fainted at like 1:00 AM and a doctor yelled at me, it’s great.

I think this is pretty much all Jean says. No wonder Rosetta has to do most of the work.

Oh, these are the Special Items. Accessories (Or as this game calls them, “Decor”) work like armor in this game, giving you some defense and stat bonuses. These are all way too expensive for Donnel right now, and they aren’t very good anyway.

Donnel also visits the library in an attempt to learn. This will go poorly.

Who is Mr. Shield? Can we meet Mr. Shield? I would take Mr. Shield over like half the NPCs in this game.

Russell’s books are how you get crafting recipes in this game. His stock changes every day, but it’s useless for us for now because not only do we need to buy the proper tools for the house from Ivan, but we also need to upgrade the house for most of them, which is still miles away. Also they’re expensive as hell right now, while our main income is still Sardines.

Time to actually progress the plot with a truly baffling conversation. I’m leaving this in screenshots so you can see just how baffling.

Okay, so, is it just me, or are there like 3 places in that conversation where it looks like a line was skipped, or switched around or something? Like I said, the RF1 translation is...not the best.

: I issued you a pass to the caves, but take care. If you don’t have a sword, I recommend you buy one at Leo’s shop first before entering the caves.

Way ahead of you.

A quick return trip to PARTS to buy Cucumber Seeds, and we’re ready to depart for Carmite.

Well, almost. Let’s barge in on Mist’s house first. See how she likes it.

Uh.

Uh.

Well see ya.

Donnel is not ready for romance. He’d rather go risk his life in this cave.

Welcome to Carmite.

Okay, Mist’s a ghost, I’m calling it now. There’s no way she’s that stealthy normally.

Donnel is remarkably nonchalant about it though.

: By the way, I didn’t tell you. There are monsters living in the cave. Be careful!

: Uh, okay. Thank you. Is that what you came to tell me?

: Yeah. I was worried about you.

: Thank you. By the way, what’s that funny shaped thing?

: I’ve never seen it before either. I wonder what it is. It looks kind of scary.

: It looks like it’s where the monsters come out.

Look, just make your own joke.

I’m not sure why Mist decides to go parenthetical here but I mean okay.

: Well, I’ll look into it.

: Okay. Be careful!

: Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.

Mist is here to explain to us the concept of mortality.

This is easily my biggest design gripe with Rune Factory 1. Swinging your sword gradually kills you. And the combat is pretty button mashy. I get why they did it, but I’m really not a fan, and I’m glad newer games in this style (Stardew Valley.) change it.

: Got it. I’ll be careful.

: Okay, I’m outta here.

She does the “Walk off screen and come back” gag again.

: Oh, I forgot. I wanted to give you this spellbook.

: Spellbook?

I missed him doing that.

“Orb” is a verb, let it be known.

: It will bring you back to the entrance of the cave. That’s right on this spot.

Okay, so this is what I said Teleport did. I guess I forgot what Teleport does. I’ll test it out later.

We’ve had that X icon next to the B one for ages, but nothing to do with it. Here you go.

: Remember, using magic will deplete your RP, unless you cast Escape, which doesn’t use any RP. Wow, that’s sweet! Alright, see ya.

She’s really gone this time.

Anyway, here’s the first area in Carmite. That’s the same enemy we ran into at the start of the game.

When you slash at things, the enemy’s numbers come up in red text, yours in white. It’s kinda hard to see what’s going on in screens, but it’s hard in game as well, so there’s not a ton I can do about that, sorry.

Basically, those big metal things are monster spawners. If you kill the monster while the spawner is still up, it will spit out a new one, so ideally you want the spawner destroyed before you kill the guard. Really the biggest issue, though, is the hitboxes being very sketchy on a lot of these enemies. You have to have them front and center, the sword’s arc doesn’t really count for poo poo.

You can see how low my HP and RP are already. Carmite Cave is actually a pretty tough dungeon, I think it’s one of the harder ones in the came because of just how little equipment you have. Also I’m bad at this game.

Off to the left, some fields! And Zavier.

We never formally introduced ourselves to him, just spied on him a couple times.

: Oh, no, no. I’m not the one that made the move. She…

: Mist made a move on you? No way! My Mist would never do anything like that!

You’re weird, Zavier.

: But that’s what happened…

: Mist...why? Why him? *Sigh* No, this must be some kind of mistake.

I refer you to the previous “Uh”’s in this update.

Well, he seems remarkably more chipper now that I talked to him again.

Well, might as well cover these. They’re important mechanics.

Mysterious Noise

: Listen. If you ever hear a weird beeping kind of noise in a cave, you’d better watch out. That’s a sound you start to hear when your HP gets low. Sometimes while exploring and digging you might let your HP drop down to zero before you notice.

I really like that line.

: So watch out for that beeping noise!

Fields In Caves

: When it comes to exploring caves, the most important thing is the ground.

: How come the ground is so important?

: Ugh. Don’t you know anything? Listen, whether we’re using swords or hoes, we lose RP. In other word(sic), rune points. When you run out of RP, you can’t use magic. You can use a sword, but when you use one without RP, you start losing HP. In caves, running out of HP means death, you know.

The game really tutorials hard at you here. I wouldn’t mind if it wasn’t so much repeat information. This is like the third person to tell us this.

: So you have to think about replenishing your RP as you go along. That’s why fields are so important. Are you with me? Runes are a crystallized form of the power of the earth.

Oh poo poo OP was wrong there are Runes in this game. Whoops.

: And the power of the earth grows crops. In my experience, you can get one rune for every nine crops you have. If you take the runes, they’ll be gone for the time being, but there’ll be more the next morning. So if you plow fields and grow crops here and there inside caves, you can replenish your RP at each place.

So, Runes. Runes are little floaty blue balls that show up after you’ve grown 9 crops (a single seed packet) in a cave. They’ll keep respawning as long as the crops are there. This is a good way to restore RP in dungeons, as touching a rune gives you an instant boost. However, it takes a while to grow crops, and some people just ignore this mechanic entirely, just bringing alot of food along for RP instead. I can’t say I disagree with them. But I’ll show it off, because it’s clearly meant to be a pretty core mechanic.

Now then.

Much better. The Cucumbers from earlier are all set.

Luckily there’s a river right here where you can refill your can.

Now I should probably leave, but…

Across the bridge is one more enemy type.

This is the Orc Archer. They have less HP and Attack than their melee counterparts, but they can shoot from a range with these slow moving projectiles. They’re not really a huge threat.

They can also only aim in 8 directions. Sucks to be an Orc Archer.

A single 3 hit combo does the trick.

Swordsmanship skill goes up when you hit things with your weapon, and reduces the RP/HP cost of attacking. It’s a pretty important thing to raise.

Now it’s time to actually get out of here.

Camus reveals that Kardian Gossip is just the most boring poo poo.

I headed to the baths, but Melody wasn’t at the counter. So, surely, Donnel can just…

Dammit, Donnel.

And now she’s here? I wish I had screencapped that, it was weird.

Now rejuvenated, it’s back to the J A S P E R Z O N E.

It’s not Jasper we’re interested in today, though.

: If you get along with the monsters in the caves, you can become friends with them! If you have this friendship glove, you can become friends.

Yes, the monster recruitment tactic in this game is just AGGRESSIVELY RUBBING THEM. It’s great.

: But be careful, you may be attacked before you win the monster over.

Monsters will not stop trying to kill you while you rub them.

I love Donnel’s expression here. Even he thinks this is a bit sketchy.

: The way to get along with something without speaking is through showing how you feel. Even if the monster hits you, you have to show it that you want to be friends.

: Okay, got it. You seem to know a lot about this, Tabatha!

Tabatha is secretly an Orc Archer in a dress.

: Yeah, well...I know…. Hehehe!

: Remember that and this important fact. You need a monster hut to get along with monsters.

The running theme of Rune Factory is Real Estate.

: Tell Mr. Camus, and he’ll build you a monster hut. No matter how much you use the friendship glove, you won’t befriend monsters without a monster hut.

Oh, right. I should get on that.

: I wonder what delicacies are in there? My stomach rumbles just thinking of it!

Incredibly excited over the possibility of having my very own Orc Archer, Donnel begins to chop wood furiously.

Logging is also its own skill.

But there’s not enough wood here. I need more.

Back to Carmite!

Sadly, no wood here either. We can’t chop the stumps yet.

Instead I just tilled the rest of the soil. There’s a reason for this, and you’ll see later.

Anyway, I should probably cover this guy more in depth. This is the Orc. He’s a standard melee enemy, but he hits hard, for about 24 of Donnel’s 100 HP. The best way to deal with them is to try and dodge their swing, then combo them as they’re in the recovery animation.

Also, he seems to have dropped something…

Oh, great! Yeah, in addition to all the skills, Levels are also a thing. They’re sheerly combat based, though. Leveling up restores all your HP, which can be a lifesaver in a dungeon. Don’t count on it, though.

The Orc dropped a Cheap Cloth. This is a crafting material we won’t have any use for for a long time, but hey, nice to grab it.

I wonder what fish live in Carmite?

Oh. Shocker.

North of here we have some rocks. These are unbreakable for now, but keep them in mind.

I crossed the bridge to beat up on some more archers. These guys are my preferred grinding targets, because they’re just so easy to dodge.

Not that I don’t gently caress that up occasionally. That’s the 1 of a 13, not just 1 damage. They aren’t THAT pathetic.

Still pretty pathetic.

That’s what I wanted.

Well, maybe there will be more interesting fish over here?

Oh, that’s...a little better. The rest were just Cherry Salmon again.

Look upon my Salmon, ye mighty, and despair.

They’re pretty lovely Salmon too. This was the highlight. I had a level 17 one last update.

Well, that’s enough Carmite Cave for now.

Donnel’s adventures will resume after he sleeps away all his fishing and swording wounds.

But your contribution adventure can begin RIGHT NOW!

Submit any names you like for:
Orcs
Orc Archers
Bees (we haven't seen it yet but I trust you know what a bee looks like)

And I'll take them into consideration for when I start taming monsters.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 18, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I thought Zavier told you about another silly skill you can level up. Sleeping. I guess that telling you DON'T LOSE ALL YOUR HP IN THE CAVES OR YOU'LL DIE for the third time was more important.

He'll tell you that After you make a little more progress in Carmite and he gives you the sleeping bag.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

So the limiting factor in monsters is the number of monster hut spaces you have? You can always tame one if you have enough time and endurance?

KataraniSword posted:

Some monsters can't be tamed in the first game, I don't think - mostly bosses. And in the first game, most monsters are useless except as dungeon diving buddies. They don't get the ability to do your yardwork for you until I think the third game?

But yeah, if you want to fill every last monster hut with Orc Archers, go hog wild.

Pretty much this, yeah, as long as the monster doesn't murder you while you're trying, it's not a boss, and there may be a few edge cases I don't remember. Hearts will start to pop out if it's working.

Monsters in this one can water your crops and harvest for you, but they're really slow and bad at it, IIRC.

Speaking of monsters, I wanted to put this at the end of the update, but I forgot, I'll edit it in, they could use some names.

Submit any names you like for:
Orcs
Orc Archers
Bees (we haven't seen it yet but I trust you know what a bee looks like)

And I'll take them into consideration for when I start taming monsters.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

What's the name length limit?

I submit OhGod for the Bees. Also ImCoveredIn if there's enough room.

I'm gonna be totally honest, I forget exactly, but I think it's around 7? I'll confirm when I actually get access to recruiting monsters again.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

It sort of still is, just that they are only visible when you harvest rather than appearing when the crop is full grown. Rune Factory 1 attempted to make in-dungeon fields worthwhile to use as a daily RP source if you left crops at their full-grown status; they're typically tied to a single season so they IIRC will not wither when you move into a new season outside. But as LordHippoman said, it was far easier to pack cooked foods in your large inventory system.

This entirely. Honestly farming in RF1 is, as a whole, kind of...eh? Which is weird because it's a game based around that sort of thing, at least partially. As you'll see when this next update goes up (Busy week on my end) the returns for crops are pretty underwhelming if you just straight up sell them.

Pine Bamboo Plum posted:

Oh, I get it, the 'Rune Factory' is the earth.

holy poo poo i actually didn't at all get that until you said it.

Welp, pack it in, LP over.

On a serious note, thanks for the names, everyone. They're all safe in my secret google doc. I get about 70% of these references too, so that's pretty solid on my part, I think. Although, confession, I've never seen LOTR. This is probably how I'm going to do names for the rest of the LP, asking for them after we've encountered the monster in question.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 8: Continuation, Concerning Carmite Cave

Well, right now that Carmite Cave is going to kick Donnel’s rear end. We’ll need to make some further improvements to our cash, food, and combat situations. I honestly think Carmite is the hardest dungeon in the game just because of what limited resources you have when you start it. I don’t remember anything else taking this much preparation.

Speaking of preparation, I’ll have the marriage poll options and such up once we’re done with Carmite, if everything goes on schedule.

Anyway, hey! They grew!

Our days of watering have paid off.

...Cost 60? That, uh, that’s not great. Of course, these are only Level 1. Maybe we’ll be able to enhance our output someday.

Well, might as well ship all of these. There are certainly reasons to keep crops, eating, cooking, etc., but for now I’d just like the money.

Oh, and that blue thing?

That’s a Rune. You touch it, you get RP back. It’s handy, but much more important in caves. Doesn’t really matter out here.

Well, back to the ol’ grind.

Just wanted to point out that killing even one of these enemies dents my RP meter. It’s a huge bottleneck in this first dungeon.

Then you mix in the watering, and...yeah. Carmite’s rough. We’ll be working on ways to mitigate it, though.

The right side of the cave doesn’t seem to have much but these rocks for now.

But to the north...more monsters!

And, uh, Lev U. These spin and it’s...not the easiest screencap. Oops.

More fields! Donnel scarfs down this bamboo root to celebrate. It does little to nothing.

More importantly, wood. I want a monster hut ASAP because I really like taming monsters in this game. It’s just fun.

Now to till Every Square Here.

There’s a reason here.

We’re well on our way to that first hut. Well, Wood-wise, anyway. The 20G is a bit embarrassing.

Welp, all done. Time for a victory popcorn and continuing on.

The popcorn is not very effective. That little apple means we’re full, and can’t eat again until it’s gone. That’s just to prevent you from tanking every boss by shoving 20 apples down your throat.

There’s a nice little crossroads here next to the water, in case you want to plant in this field, you don’t have to run all the way back to the bridge area.

There’s a path over here covered in purple. If you touch it, you get poisoned. Don’t touch it.

The other path has...Ivan.

Has Ivan tilled enough squares for this cave? He doesn’t even live here.

: It’s a radar device!

I’m not sure if this is a typo or Donnel is just dumb.

Holy poo poo, Ivan’s like the Iron Man of this universe.

: You mean those things the monsters come out from?

: That’s right. If you use this, it’ll make a sound to notify you how many of those devices are on each level. Equip it with the B button, and press the L+B buttons to set the radar. Then press the B button to hear the signal. The number of beeps indicates the number of devices on that level.

: That’s amazing!

: Thank you. I designed it myself.

Wait, didn’t Mist say the devices just started showing up? And you made it that fast? Ivan is quickly approaching Mist in suspicious levels.

: That’s got to cost a fortune, though. I don’t have much money.

: For this item, you can pay me for it later. After all, you could really use it now.

: Really? Thanks!

(we will never pay him back)

: Consider it a special gift for a special customer. I’m sure we’ll be doing lots of business in the future!

: I hope so!

: All righty then, good luck!!

This would be cool, but...I have a guide, so…

Anyway, continuing on, a new monster! These green guys are...unremarkable. They’re pretty much the melee Orcs, but they have minorly higher stats. They’re Goblins.

Here’s their spawner, and some more rocks!

Another floor? Carmite’s expansive.

And a glowy sigil!

These are handy. Save points, I doubt I have to explain them. Sadly, unlike your bed, these do not restore HP/RP.

In the next room OH gently caress

Bees. These are bees. Now, apparently the game calls them “Hornets”, but this is just a way to conceal BEES.

Bees fuckin’ suck. They’re ranged. They come in pairs. They can poison you. The best way to deal with them is to try and catch both in a sword swing at once and combo them to death. The saving grace is that they have low HP. Well, let’s take them on!

Ah poo poo.

...I mean, it was nice there was a Save Point there.

This time I minorly healed up by munching an Herb first.

To the south, poo poo.

Ants. I don’t know what it is about this game and bug enemies, but Ants? Also a pain. They heal when they hit you, and can inflict “Seal”. It just means you can’t cast spells. Another reason magic in RF1 is garbage.

This double pronged assault of mandibled monstrosities is too much!

Also I’m bad at this game, time to go.

I had to walk out because Seal blocked Escape. So no orbin’ for me.

Hey there again, Mist.

Please ignore my many bug related injuries, Mist.

I feel like they’re just mocking me now.

Well, 726g isn’t too bad. That’s more than I got for all the Radishes, just, FYI.

It’s time to pay Leo a visit.

Yeah, it would be cool if I could do that.

It would also be cool if I could do that.

Oh thanks.

Leo won’t give you the Hammer until you’ve tilled 50 squares in Carmite, thus all the hoeing earlier.

Time to restore and return.

The bath doesn’t even cure Seal. Seriously, magic is boned in this game.

Well, headed in again, but this time with a new goal in mind.

Well, first grinding off the archers.

These guys are pretty much EXP fountains.

Now then, business. See these rocks?

gently caress these rocks. They have prizes.

I broke every rock on Floor 1 and got 15 pieces of Scrap Iron. It’ll come in quite handy soon.

Rounding out the day with a little fishing, just because.

Donnel is the king of Cherry Salmon.

Oh, hey, the turnips sold! Since it’s past 5:00, Rosetta has sold them for us and EXP Farm has an additional 540 G for me to go blow on popcorn or whatever.

Finally, an entry in this thing.

That was a pretty well rounded adventuring day. Sorry it wasn’t the most exciting update, but this game starts pretty slow. Next time, more Carmite Cave. I promise it won’t be the only thing in this LP.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Zyrden posted:

So that Seal seemed to affect you for the rest of the day. Just how long do status effects last in this game?

When Katanari said "Until you cure them", they meant it. I did some offscreen grinding for this next part.

I slept twice, got full heal ups. I am still Sealed from that one Ant.

Rune Factory 1 is a pretty janky game sometimes.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 9: Conclusion of Carmite Cave

So, I think we’ve spent enough time wallowing around Carmite, getting poor Donnel’s rear end kicked by Orcs.

Like I said, the first dungeon of Rune Factory is actually pretty difficult, especially because there’s sort of a soft limit to how much you can use your sword, thanks to the RP system. Now, to get around that, we could just wait for a lot of crops to grow, create runes, and use those over time.

However, it’s way quicker to just spend a day grinding to a point where your HP bar can just tank it. So that’s what I did, offscreen of course. Grinding is easy in RF because of the infinite respawning monsters, I used the Orc at the entrance.

Here he is, the new and improved Donnel. I know he doesn’t look improved, or new, but look.

Look at those nice stats. Level 10 now!

Before we embark on our quest, it’s time to harvest the last of these crops. I kept these as I went into the cave, just in case.

Unfortunately, because today is the ubiquitous HOLIDAY that replaces weekends in Rune Factory, most stores won’t open. Guess it’s time to take on the cave hungry, then.

Starting off by killing my old grinding pal. Night night, friend.

I’d love to water these cucumbers, but I really don’t want to waste the RP. Another time.

Next up is the Orc Archer spawner. You’ve seen this before, should be familiar. I do like how the explosion kinda looks like rose petals scattering to the wind, though. It makes this death look so much more dignified than me just whacking an archer with a sword.

The Orc spawner near the second set of fields gets me a Swordsmanship level.

Moving onto the Goblin spawner. Sorry I’m going through this quickly, but it’s all stuff we’ve previously seen.

On to the 2nd floor, now. The save point is down south there.

Alright, don’t panic. Get the bees.

Managed to catch both Hornets and the Spawner in one sword swing combo, but if you see that little skull under Donnel’s HP bar?

We’re poisoned. You can see how dangerous that can be already if you compare the last two screens. It was about 3 seconds between these two, I took a decent chunk of damage, but not all that much. The biggest danger of poison is just that it does not wear off.

Thankfully, just one of those antidote herbs we’ve been finding all over will cleanse it.

Now, there’s an area to the right of the Bees I didn’t check out, so let’s see...

Oh poo poo, more bugs.

Just gonna sneak past ‘em here and blow up the spawner while they’re meandering around the other side of the room.

I doubled back to get that first set of ants we encountered, southeast of the stairs.

That gave me a Level Up, which heals off all those Bee related injuries.

Anyway, that corridor’s a dead end, the exit to the floor is next to the bee/ant combo in the east.

On the third floor, we enter a door and...

Ah gently caress. It’s locked behind us. There’s probably some kind of horrible monster in here. Like a bee.

Oh no, it’s...it’s uh...a squirrel?

It’s not exactly threatening.

That didn’t take long. What a lovely trap.

(That enemy was called a “Chirori”, and like, as far as I know, it’s completely non-threatening. That’s also the only one in the game.)

Oh hey, door’s gone.

The path leads to another field full of stuff. I’m so tempted to start chopping those logs, but my RP conservation senses prevail, and I just make Donnel shove another Bamboo Root down his throat.

Also OH gently caress THEY’RE BACK

No more spawner, but…

I’m gonna be burning through these things.

Thankfully the next area is due south, through this small exit.

Just another Orc and poison tiles to the east here, one of the two is easily dealt with.

So, to the south is...also poison tiles.

Huh. These are the only two exits.

Guess I’m just gonna have to grin and bear it here.

Well, that was a minor annoyance. The bigger one being that I’m now out of Antidote Herbs.

And the only way back is the poison tiles.

I may have hosed up here.

ONWARD.

Here’s another new enemy, the Goblin Archer. Honestly I couldn’t even tell the difference between these and the Orc Archers. They might have slightly higher stats?

Still an easy win.

Out of the hall comes yet another spawner for these Orcs. You should be pretty adept at dealing with these jokers by now.

Through here is yet another save point, and a final staircase. This looks...ominous.

...Later, log. Later.

Using the stairs triggers a cutscene. Looks like there’s one spawner left.

Oh, Zavier, you have any antidote herbs? Please?

: You know Donnel, something’s fishy about this room.

Fine, be that way.

: I’ve been searching this cave, and I get the feeling that door will open if we can break those weird thingamaboppers. Call it a treasure hunter’s hunch.

: Sounds like it’s worth a try.

I love the way he keeps calling them that.

This is kind of a weird place for the game to tell you this, since you almost certainly haven’t cleared this far into Carmite on your first visit.

: Yeah, so if you plan on destroying all of them, you have to stay in the cave until the job’s done!

: But my strength might not hold out that long.

: That’s what sleeping bags are for! You...do have a sleeping bag, don’t you, Donnel?

: Uh, actually…

: What? Are you out of your mind? You need a sleeping bag while exploring caves. Well, since you’re obviously clueless, I’ll give you mine. Here, take it.

He gives it to you regardless, but why not just be proactive in getting our free tools?

: It’s a little old, but you can still use it.

Then he explains RP in caves again, I just cut it because this is like the third time.

: Now then, getting back to what’s on the other side of that door. You know, that door didn’t used to be there. Clearly someone must have built it. I don’t like the looks of this. Hmm...sometimes it takes courage to flee, too.

What an inspiring motto.

: And now… is definitely a time to scram! Peace out!

Well, it was nice of this spawner not to do anything for that whole conversation. I even had to wait around a little to get it to spit out its first enemy.

Just a Goblin. I killed one, and another got spawned…

Right on the chest the first dropped. That chest apparently has collision, because this guy is stuck. Ah well, easy kill for me.

Huh?

That Goblin had just become a man. And we killed him. This is the pathos of Rune Factory. Actually I think we just sent him back to the First Forest or whatever, so never mind. (That’s a crafting item.)

Now that every spawner in the cave is destroyed, the door disappears at Donnel’s touch. Now, this door stays open if you leave the cave, even though the spawners return. You can use this to make sort of an emergency rest before the boss, but this update is all about me being reckless. Let’s move on.

But I mean, it would be a waste not to show this off.

You can only use the Sleeping Bag once per dungeon-trip. It can be upgraded for more uses if we take it to Leo.

Well, it’s morning now, and...how did we skill up?

Oh yeah. Like someone said in the thread, “Camping”, AKA “taking a nap”, is a skill in this game. It improves the HP/RP gains from using a Sleeping Bag.

Alright, now time for the final room!

Inside lurks...a baboon? A pretty big Baboon.

Baboon.

Oh, hey Mist.

: Mist? What are you doing here?

: I couldn’t find you on the farm, so I thought I’d look for you here.

: I can’t believe such a huge monster is here!

: And look at it. It’s frightened!

It just seems mad to me.

: Frightened?

: Sure! It was probably brought here against its will.
Donnel… Use your power to send it back to its world.

: You mean if I defeat it in battle, I can use the power of Retornen to send it back?

: That’s right!

: Okay, I’ll see what I can do. You’d better stand back though, Mist. This might get messy.

This monkey is going to splatter me all over the walls.

: Okay. Just...please be careful.

: I will.

And then I immediately get charged.

So this is the Greater Daemon. He has 250 HP, a variety of attacks, and he can give you some trouble on your first few tries, especially if you didn’t grind like I did. He’s a worthy first boss.

His most common attack is to stand up and beat his chest, then charge you.

He tracks a little, so it’s best to make a wide arc while running.

There’s a bit of lag time when he smacks into a wall, and that’s your best time to get a hit or two in. Don’t stick around for long, though.

That’s due to his second attack, a quick punch that can come out in any direction and covers a fair amount of ground. There’s really no way to defend against this other than “don’t be near the monkey.”

That’s nice, giant letters, but really not the time.

You can also get some damage in on Greater Daemon while he’s beating his chest, but this puts you in prime position to get smacked by a charge.

Once you’ve taken out most of his HP, he gets a little upset, and turns red. This is the real fight. When he’s red, he’ll start changing his Charge a little. He can bounce and ricochet off walls a little now, and he can cancel the Charge into a meaty punch. He’s a lot more dangerous now.

We have this, but...you can’t equip it in the menu, as far as I know. You have to try and press L+B, then scroll to it, then use it while dodging the bosses’ attacks. It’s pretty annoying.

When you see the Daemon smash his fist into the ground, START RUNNING. This is his third and most deadly attack, and he only uses it when he’s red, as far as I know.

It makes a pillar of stone erupt under you. This lasts for so long that, after it knocks you down, once you stand up, it’ll knock you down and hurt you again. Each hit does a good chunk of HP. So like, in summary, gently caress this move.

So, in all honesty, the best way to deal with his Red form is just...don’t. As soon as he shifts colors, start hammering him with combos, and he has so little HP left you should be able to get him down.

And that’s the end of Greater Daemon.

I love how deadpan that is.

: You’re amazing Donnel! I bet you’re really a legendary warrior...or a knight in the Holy Order!

Nobody tell her that took me three attempts.

: Do you really think so?

: Well… since we still don’t know your past, you ought to think big!

: Hmm…

: At any rate, I was able to save the Greater Daemon’s soul.

Okay, that was Donnel. Don’t take credit for that one.

: I’m so happy! I wonder what it was doing here in the first place?

: I have no idea. But I wonder…

: Wonder what?

: Maybe it has something to do with those strange devices I found inside the cave.

: Hmm…

: But I have no idea who could have put them in there...and why.

: I see.

: In any case, there’s not much we can do but wait to see what happens.

: Right.

And that’s the end of Carmite Cave. We never have to come here again. (But I will, because of Monster pets.)

And now we have to cross the poison tiles.

TIME FOR AN ESCAPE SEQUENCE.

Oh, the fields here repopulated. And there’s...an Antidote Herb.

Welp, escape sequence aborted.

And hey, our cucumbers are still around! That’s nice, you don’t need to water cave crops every day to keep them alive.

That’s all for today, but I’ve got a bit of cleanup to do here.

Names for any of the Carmite Cave monsters are welcome. The new ones we met in this update were the Goblin Archer and the Chirori (That little squirrel guy.). I’ll probably not be collecting ALL the monsters, but for the ones I do, nicknames are nice.

The next update should go up with the marriage poll too, if I can figure that out in time. (Probably. Don’t doubt my incompetence.)

Next time, life beyond endless Carmite Cave.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

Did... did Mist just pretend that she was the one who cleared out the entire cave? Oh lord, she's going to get back to town and tell everybody and they'll think we're just a copycat glory hound.

I mean she has to find some way to be "mysterious" when she really just seems like kind of a weirdo.

KataraniSword posted:

Worth noting is that the Chirori/Chipsqueek (in later entries in the series) has kind of become one of the series mascots alongside the farm-type monsters (your NotCow, NotChicken, NotSheep, etc - is it a spoiler to point out that those exist?). They're still kind of dumbly rare for just being squirrels that do nothing.

I didn't know that, because I've never played any of the other Rune Factories. I think there's a recolor of this squirrel later in the game as well. And nah, it's not a spoiler to talk about the NotAnimals, I think Neumann or Camus already did it, actually.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

sheep-dodger posted:

Right, in the new RFs the teleport works even when sealed.

Yeah, I meant to make note of the Seal in the update, but whoops.

So, for the marriage poll, would people rather just use the ol' standard of BOLDED responses, or would you want me to set up an online survey or something? I ask because I know those can be sketchy with IP addresses and safety and poo poo, and I don't want you to get a virus because you wanted me to declare my undying love for Jasper.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Either way's fine by me.

Though I'll be honest, I don't really remember who all the bachelorettes are. Mist butts into every update almost so she's hard to forget, and there's Jasper's daughter who's actually pretty nice since she gives you stuff (giving you gifts to raise your affection perhaps?).

Oh, I'm planning on doing a side update just to go over all of them. I forgot a few of them existed too.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Bonus Update: Marriage Poll

So, eventually, our hero Donnel is going to have to settle down. Every day he comes home, alone, to his house, to nurse the million bug bites and bee stings he has recieved, and to lie in bed, alone, thinking about dying three times to a giant baboon. This is not the life we want for Donnel. But who is the Wife we want for Donnel? Rune Factory has 11 options. I've removed two of them because they either take way too much time or are actually impossible without hacking the game (I'll explain later.). To marry a character, you'll have to get their LP (Love Points) to 10 through various actions, and for some, complete a sidequest.

Let's meet our candidates. (Were I a more talented man, there'd be a photoshop of The Bachelor's logo here but the rose is replaced with a turnip or something, just pretend that's there EDIT: a more talented man made me this image, thanks Wayne!) We'll be seeing a lot more of them through the coming updates, so if you want to hold your vote back, or change it later, that's cool.

(Fantastic Turnip Art by Wayne)

Bianca

She's the one who gave us the Axe and the Bottle. She's kind of blunt, but she means well. Plus, we'd have Jasper as an in-law, which is a definite pro. Questionable sense of gravity in haircut. Easy to marry, because you don't need to do any special bullshit, just talk to her a lot to raise her affection. Gifts do nothing for her, because she pretty much already owns the world.

Felicity

Felicity is Mayor Godwin's daughter and she has definitely-not-tuberculosis. I think that's what killed poor Arran :(. References to dated LPs aside, we'll have to do a sidequest to marry Felicity. She's kind and helpful, despite her illness, and she's really into Eggplant Curd.

Lara

Lara is the nurse at the Clinic. She has ample reason to worry about Donnel because he constantly faints while trying to water his own plants. She pretty much never leaves the office, she doesn't even have a house. You need a special item to propose to her, but you'll get it as part of the plot anyway. She likes cake.

Melody

Melody is a witch or something but she manages the hot springs because Rune Factory 1 is a terrible place for a magic user. She's weird and pretty much just obsessed with the baths. In fact, the only way to raise her LP is to bathe a lot. She respects good hygiene. However, marrying her can sometimes make the game freak out and prevent you from ever using the bathhouse again. So that's no good. She has a minor sidequest to marry, but it's just conversations. Likes tea a lot.

Mist

Probably needs no introduction. Mist has been with us from the start, and she's...helpful to the point of being suspicious. Not really sure what her deal is, but she's been nice enough to us for now. Marrying Mist requires beating the game and tilling every single space on your farm. Little tedious, but not too bad. She's also a fan of Emery Flowers, which take... 120 days to grow. Thankfully she has other likes.

Rosetta

One of the shopkeepers, along with her dad, at PARTS. Rosetta is intelligent and headstrong, and she comes over to look at our box full of turnips every day anyway. Is currently being stalked by a weird poet. Marrying Rosetta requires Donnel to find a LEGENDARY ROCK, but is otherwise pretty straightforward. A fan of Baked Potatos.

Sharron

The mysterious ruin-dweller and boot-reciever, Sharron is weird and likes to mumble about ancient secrets and poo poo. She's also a fan of Crystals, which are frequent mining drops later on and will make her a pretty easy candidate to marry. Her marriage sidequest involves a mystical sword that we can get through the main plotline pretty easily.

Tabatha

The maid at the Saint-Coquille house, Tabatha is good friends with Jasper and Bianca, naturally, but also with all the monsters of the animal kingdom. She's most interested in how many monsters Donnel can befriend and take care of. In fact, to marry her, you're required to have FIFTY MONSTERS living on your farm, which is at least 13 Huts of space. It's not an easy process. Also no, she'll never take off her hat.

Tori

Lady Ann's daughter and Zavier's brother, Tori works at the library. She's extremely into literature, which means that just going to the Library and reading the random poo poo Russell has on the shelves every day will raise her LP. She's very shy, but willing to help out if needed. Her sidequest just requires us to get a huge-rear end jar of Milk, which would require some sort of...cow-like creature. If only that existed.

So, those are the options. If you'd like to vote for one, there's a nice format you can use that lets me count the votes easily that sheep-dodger pointed out to me, made by Ralith

Basically, just post, in bold:

##vote
1 (Your Choice Here) (make sure not to actually put it in parentheses)

And that's it. The program can scan the thread for those posts and tally it up for me. You can vote for more than one character if you want, just add a Semicolon after the names you put after 1. Please note that quoting posts doesn't count, so if you like somebody else's option, just copy/paste it.

EDIT BECAUSE I FRICKED IT: You only have to put the "1" down once. That just signifies the question being asked to the program. So if you wanted Sharron, but Melody was your second choice, you'd want to do: 1 Sharron; Melody

my bad

If that looks too complicated, just copy/paste what I have up there, replace (Your Choice Here) with a character you like, and put it all in Bold. That's it.

So, then, what about the other two candidates? Don't actually vote for them, but I'll explain:

THE FORBIDDEN CHARACTER, MEI

Mei here is a traveler living at the Inn. She's also drat hard to find. Mei is a fan of fish, but only rare ones, including an extremely obnoxious to find one called the "Lover Snapper", which is only in one cave, requires the strongest fishing rod in the game, and is just a huge pain in the rear end.

She's also now literally impossible to marry without hacking. You see, Rune Factory used to have Wi-Fi capability. You could trade items with friends. Each time you traded something, it went up one level. To marry Mei, you need to propose to her with a Lover Snapper of Level 80 or higher. So you'd need to sucker a friend into sitting there and trading, back and forth, with you, up to a possible 79 times. You'd then have a Lover Snapper and lose a friend.

Since the Nintendo Wi-Fi network is dead, this tedious hell sidequest is forever buried and Mei is no longer marriageable without hacking the game.

THE SPOILER CHARACTER

it's not actually jasper but if only.

So, submit your votes in the format above at whatever time you'd like, and I'll tally them up when we get towards the endgame and the best time to marry most of these characters. Until then we'll just flirt with everyone because that's how Donnel rolls I guess.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 7, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

aw whoops I hosed it up.

I should have mentioned (I worded it badly, my bad), you only need to have the 1 in your vote before the First Choice You Put Down

Because right now "1 Tabatha" has two votes :v:

I'll edit my post now, if people who have already voted want to fix that, I'd appreciate it , if not, well, I'll figure it out.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Wayne posted:

Pretend no more!

(Now where's Camel Pimp with the PhotoShop snipe like in the Fire Emblem thread? :sweatdrop: )

This vote is pretty funny timing too, since I caught this thread right at the start (and when Rune Factory won our stream's "Harvest Moon" vote, convinced me to play 3 instead of 1, heh), and then completely lost track of it until this weekend... while I was on vacation for my friend's wedding. So in honor of the stylist who kept hitting on me, let's vote for:

##vote
1 Melody

Great LP and good to see you again, Hippo. :patriot:

I emerge from my Dark Souls hole (gently caress bell gargoyle and his best friend bell gargoyle) to appreciate this goodass fanart. Also from what people have told me, you made a good decision playing 3 over 1. This is apparently a series that got a lot better as it went on, but I've only played the first.

Also wow people are voting, that rules, thanks everyone. I'm surprised by the Melody appreciation considering she has basically no dialogue and breaks the game if you marry her, but I guess people want Donnel to marry a Mage. Understandable.

So far ol' Cageneck is winning, though.

It's a pretty busy time for me, but I'll get working on the next update soon. Probably more farming/dicking about town stuff, because we've had so much combat recently.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 7, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Oh, I got the Gargoyles. It just took me far longer than it should to be like "Oh, fire is bad, I should stand in the place the fire doesn't go."

Darth TNT posted:

Hey, I just found this LP, time to catch up. :)

By the way Hippoman Update 2 Here's Donny! has an error.

And despite not knowing what I'm voting on I'll vote for Bianca

Whoops, my bad. I'll fix that. Also, my vote counting program isn't going to pick that up, so I'll just do it for you here as thanks for being a typo catcher in...two different threads now.

##Vote
1 Bianca

McGwee posted:

##Vote
1. Sharron

I always married her because those crystals are really easy to get in a bit, but I did one time marry Tabitha, I do not recommend it though. After all you need to feed those monsters and they did something stupid for fodder in this game. Plus the sheer amount of wood you'd need...

Second cave best cave.

I have actually only ever married Tabitha, because I loved monster collecting. So it'll be interesting to try something new. It was grindy as gently caress, yes.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 10: Axe Around

Welcome back. Donnel has just beaten a giant monkey until it teleported away, and now we’re going to revel in our victory.

I know exactly who we should tell first.

The weird ghost.

You didn’t have to do that boss fight, Sharron.

Leo’s got some new items in. He’ll do this every once in a while, after dungeons are completed.

The real winner here is the Windsword. I beat the game with this my first time through, I really like it. There’s better weapons, but eh.

Interestingly, the description of the Lance gives us our first mention of the unfortunately named “Sechs Empire”.

I wanted to Forge a tool, but it turns out I forgot how worthless Scrap Iron was for what I wanted. I mean, it does say “not very useful”, so I guess I should have figured that out. So the rest of the day is going to be a quest to get non-lovely metal.

Anyway let’s go brag to everyone about beating up a demon.

: When I heard you fought a Greater Daemon in that cave, I thought I was going to have a heart attack!

What the hell does that even mean.

: Please, give a little more thought to your safety before doing something like that!

While I’m here, I realized I forgot to show off Edward’s stock. Whoops.

These, uh, lips, are what we need to finally remove that Seal. I’m buying one of these.

Not only does Edward sell status cures, he’s got some stuff to advance our crops as well. This is good if you’re impatient.

And this is good if you want more money from your farm. Higher level crops are crucial to actually getting any decent funds from farming, but there are a few ways to do that. This is one of them.

I don’t really see the point of this one when the Antidote Herb is so much cheaper.

This is just my favorite item description in the game.

Anyway I sold a bunch of the poo poo we got in the cave. We can’t do anything with those crafting materials for quite a while.

Alright, let’s go reading. This is the educational segment of the LP.

...I think this is the wrong section of the Library.

Oh, these sound much more exciting.

It’s hidden under a high pile of ancient ice. Any girl that is proposed to with this stone is rumored to live happily for ever (sic)

Rune Factory Dating Tip #1: Try to get dates by digging rocks out of the snow.

Maybe this one will be more exciting.

This stone can’t be told apart from a normal stone, making it very dangerous.

Okay, enough rocks, let’s get to dragons.

...Terrable and Fiersome?

Alright, that’s enough reading for the day.

I need to go unwind with the best character.

: Ha ha! Just kidding!

What the gently caress is the “elf world”

I have questions, Tabatha.

: I just can’t believe you. I mean, you’re not exactly made of muscle, are you?

Tabatha you need to stop writing Tolkein fanfic.

I think we’ve talked to Tabatha enough for a while.

Maybe Godwin can help us out.

Why was that a question?

: Okay, here’s the pass. Take care entering the cave.

This should be handy. I mean, it’s mandatory for progress, but even disregarding that, handy.

: The monsters in Toros Cave are said to be stronger than in Carmite Cave. Watch yourself.

Might as well go take a look.

Dungeon #2 is Toros Cave. You have to have defeated Greater Daemon and plowed 50 squares in Carmite to get this pass from Godwin.

We’ll want some fall seeds before we head in here. Not now, though, I’m on a mission. A mission for fishin’.

Back to our favorite spot. Time to fish until the Hot Springs open.

I was having bad luck fishing, so I had to make an offering to the creepy woman.

It did not improve my luck. But I did get a second boot…

Maybe this wizard can enchant this for us and give us Willpower+2 or something.

Thanks for the insightful commentary, Jean.

Sadly Donnel cannot drink away the memories of Jean watching him bathe today. The Pub isn’t open on Mondays.

But it’s time to go explore Toros Cave a little.

Oh, surprise, it’s Mist.

: I see…

: Anyway, Donnel. Did you know that seasons don’t change inside caves?

Oh finally, a tutorial I can skip.

: You knew that? I figured you for a sharp one, Donnel. It looks like I was right! Good luck growing those crops!

: That’s good to hear.

: Okay, I’d better get back home. See you later!

She does that “Walk out, Walk in” thing again.

That sounds stupid.

: I’d love to see what those look like! Anyway, just thought I’d let you know. Okay, see you!

So, Toros Cave opens pretty much right into a couple fields. Also a couple scattered poison tiles.

Toros Cave is also absolutely chock-full of Wood. This is good. But we cannot destroy those stumps yet. This is bad. That’s why I’m looking for some ore in here.

Unfortunately there is no ore here. Only Satans. The Satans (They’re called Demons) have long reach with their spears, and can paralyze Donnel. They still go down in two combos.

Oh?

...I thought we sent him back to the “First Forest”. I’m starting to think this is another Mist lie.

Destroying their spawner nabbed me an additional level. Greater Daemon gave a hell of a lot of EXP.

Here’s the real bounty.

...this was all scrap iron. At least we got a mining level.

And NOW the motherlode appears.

This is the proverbial “good poo poo”.

I am again distracted by logs.

I mean, it paid off.

The northeast exit to this room reveals the actual pallet for this dungeon, lots of snow.

Also, uh.

Er.

Oh god it multiplied

It’s just...rolling at me.

...Let’s never speak of this again. (those are called “Reenos” and they are strange apple beasts. I think they only show up here.)

Oh no, Slimes!

The slimes just kinda...slowly slide at you. They can inflict status conditions.

They can also extend their goopy appendages for better range.

Even with the Spawner gone, though, this gate is still shut tight. Huh. Gonna need to find a way around that.

So I backtracked to the first room and took the exit west of the Demon spawner this time.

There was another one of those in here, but they aren’t really a big deal. So far these enemies have been underwhelming, nothing Bee-level in this place.

Here’s another new gimmick, passages blocked off by rocks. No big deal, just gotta smash ‘em with the Hammer.

And oh, what’s this?

The proverbial “even better poo poo”. This is good for third tier upgrades. I proceeded to mine every rock in the room and got myself a pretty good load of both Iron and Copper.

That’s enough for now, though, it’s getting late.

Donnel then loitered outside the Smith for 3 hours until it opened.

I proceeded to accidentally hit Leo with a Hammer. He did not drop any ore.

We are in dire need of some more Wood.

Really the iron and cash aren’t hard to come by here, the most annoying thing is being locked out of the Axe for two days while it’s being upgraded. This is worst with the watering can, because if you forget and mistime it, you could lose an entire field of crops.

I sold Satan’s Horn to Leo. Maybe he’ll have something better to do with it.

And, just because we have nothing else in the Shield slot and it’s free stats, I bought one of these.

A flat +3 defense ain’t too shabby.

Soon we will have a better axe. And more wood. And monster pals.

Some of that might happen next update. We’ll see.

(Name suggestions open for Demons, Reenos, and Slimes)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh yeah, I remember those apple critters from the third game.

If you use that neutralizing agent on one of the poison tiles, does it stay neutralized forever, or does it go back to poisoned next time you visit the cave?

As for a slime name, call it Rocket. Or actually.. Is there a blue slime-recolor? If so I'd like to save the name for that one.

There is a blue-grayish slime recolor later.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

##vote
1 Sharon

Good way to improve on your parsing skills Ralith. :smuggo:

I think you've gotta put the second R in Sharron or the program will start calculating results for a mysterious second "Sharon" and it might blow up my laptop.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Technically it's gone for good, but in certain areas poison tiles can "respawn" every so often. That's what the neutralizing agent is for, by the way - not to get rid of poison on you, but to get rid of poison on the ground. Because the poison tiles can also spawn on otherwise tillable land.

I'm still not sure if that name is more or less unfortunate than the name they gave them in Rune Factory Frontier. "Sechs" is liable to be mispronounced in lewd ways (It's 'zeks', like the German word for six), but it's at least readable, which is more than "the Zzyzx Empire" can claim to be.

Oh, yeah, I knew it was for tiles, I just figured it was cheaper to buy two Antidote Herbs and eat one each time you cross. Didn't know about the tillable land thing. Huh, thanks.

Also I haven't played Frontier but holy poo poo "Zzyzx".

Dragonatrix posted:

It... advances your crops by 1 day but only if you sleep thereby advancing them by 1 day? I'm sure it means 1 extra day but the way this is written makes it seem like it does nothing and is just a placebo.

Edward is basically just running a medical scam here. You're the only doctor in town, you can get away with some poo poo. That's why Lara's not allowed to leave the clinic, she knows too much.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's kinda refreshing to see marriage requirements being different for each individual candidate. I'm playing Stardew Valley right now, and as much as I love it, I'm basically shoving pizza down a guys throat and screaming "LOVE ME DAMMIT!". Does the rest of the series do this?

This is the only one I've played, but as far as I can see just skimming the Wiki, RF2 at least has differences, it looks like 3 is more samey, and 4 i'm unclear on, but there's an LP of that running right now that might have more info.

Kallev posted:

LordHippoman, is it cool with you if I talk a little bit about how the marriage candidates carry over into Rune Factory Frontier? There is nothing that spoils details from this game, but I wanted to ask and be certain before I potentially stepped on your toes.

Go ahead and do so. If you want to make a post about it I can link it in the OP too, if you'd like.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 11: Monster Mash

Today we rejoin your friend and mine, Donnel, as he ventures down an exciting path.

To the PARTS store!

With no Axe, I don’t want to make any cave progress in Toros, so I’d rather just stock up on some things.

Later in this update I am nearly poked to death by two satans, but sure, Rosetta, nothing crazy.

Lukas is here proving restraining orders cannot be a thing in Kardia due to their lack of any sort of legal or judicial system.

Toros is a Fall climate cave. These seeds that can regrow indefinitely when watered are great for caves, because there’s no 30 day limit on season that’ll kill them.

A set of Eggplant and Sweet Potato seeds get me ready to head out.

First though, let’s check on those cucumbers in Carmite. They’re still alive, so honestly, farming in caves is sometimes way more convenient than...your actual farm, because you don’t have to worry about watering every single day.

That said it would be nice to get some actual results from these.

Aww, my old friend dropped by to visit.

He even gave a Level Up! Thanks, pal.

The rest of the morning was spent fishing.

It was a waste of your time and mine.

This is my only simple joy.

Sharron you don’t have to say “but” we weren’t talking about anything.

Spoilers it’s Sharron.

Now, before I plant, it’s time to deal with the Demons.

Ah gently caress this is the bad zone.

See those red squigglys next to the Seal? That’s Paralyze. It completely removes Donnel’s ability to run. It’s, like most status ailments in Rune Factory, more annoying than crippling, but some bosses can require some serious movement.

At least we got another one of these.

Clearing these patches is a little annoying with no Axe to remove the stumps, but I found a 3x3 spot here.

And one over in the bottom right.

And now begins the slow trudge back to Edward’s, legs paralyzed by a demon spear.

Oh yeah it was really awesome, Mist.

For once, yes.

Edward’s checkups can clear any status ailments you have. They don’t restore any HP or RP, though.

Welp, Seal is finally gone again from the first time we encountered the ants.

I think that’s enough for one day. Axe still isn’t going to be ready, so tomorrow will be another “gently caress around” day.

Oh, I realized I never showed this off, this calendar next to Donnel’s bed displays holidays.

Tomorrow is Melody’s Birthday! We’ll have to go hunt for a present. I wonder if she’s into Devil Horns, because we have one of those!

Oh and I wanted to note that no, nobody likes us yet, still.

My watering trip into Toros Cave proved fruitful on the combat front.

Also I found some cool looking grass. This will be a perfect birthday present.

Alright, that’s all I really needed to do today. It’s almost axe time.

Passing the time before Leo’s opens fishing at the pier, I found a new type of fish!

Not entirely sure how I caught a squid with a fishing rod but I mean I’m not going to deny the results.

Oh, hey there Mei.

Goodbye Mei.

Oh, this is a drat treasure.

Might as well sell off the excess stuff while I’m here.

Stumps can now fall before our mighty Chopping Axe.

It takes 10 swings to fell a single Stump, though.

Even the charge attack only cuts it down to 5 or 6.

Here’s Donnel’s HP/RP situation after only 3 or 4 stumps.

That said...it was entirely worth it.

Let’s get us a Hut.

Wow, he wasn’t kidding. I just walked back. And it takes Leo 2 days to make an axe? Come on, man.

It is time for the Monster tutorial.

: And remember, your monster’s friendship levels will drop if you don’t give them “feed”. Feed is automatically stored in your hut when you grow and harvest “grazing grass.” If you’re out of grass, you can buy some at my shop and place it in the window to the left of the hut entrance.

Okay, so like, here’s why monster friendship sucks to raise in this game. You need to get that feed. That’s farming, which is as always, an everyday watering thing, so that’s a chunk of RP lost. The more monsters you have, the more feed just gets siphoned from your reserves super fast. And Camus and Neumann do sell it, but it’s overpriced.

Happiness raises the effectiveness in combat/chores of monsters, and monsters that produce crops will give us better quality ones with higher happiness. Still, it’s so hard to raise that it’s barely worth it. For now. There’s another way to do it that is much easier and we’ll get to that. But like, the Grazing Grass stuff? You can kinda ignore that. They won’t starve or anything.

Yeah, that’s 100 G a pop. Not super worth it. Neumann also sells it for the same price.

I went ahead and watered the Carmite crops before heading for the bath. Time to give Melody her Birthday gift.

: You’ll never capture my heart with materialistic stuff!

I...just wanted to give you a birthday present…

: What I really love are people who come and take lots of baths! And, of course I hate Peeping Toms who look into the women’s bath.

It was just a birthday present, chill, Melody. So giving people gifts they like (Melody likes colored grasses) on their birthdays raises their affection (and sometimes Love Points) towards you, but…

Apparently Melody didn’t really give a gently caress.

Cold as ice, that bath lady.

Well then, it is time. Time to start building the Monster Squad. I’ve decided to grab two of our old favorites from Carmite.

Hello, old grinding friend. I come in peace.

Oh holy poo poo your arrows Seal me? I didn’t even know that.

Alright, you just have to vigorously rub these monsters until hearts fly out. You’re gonna take some damage doing this, because the petting animation is long, but eventually…

ORKWA? What kind of a name is ORKWA?

Well, unfortunately, the monster name limit is a piddly five letters. That sucks. Thankfully, though, we STILL got a fitting suggestion.

Thanks to sheep-dodger for this suggestion. Go watch the “Noone Lives Forever” LP on the archive.

I’m pretty sure Kate’s a lady Orc but okay Donnel, whatever.

Now then...oh boy.

Give me a minute to mentally prepare myself here.

poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress poo poo

I’M RUBBING THIS BEE WITH ALL MY MIGHT

Finally. And, uh...SQUAR? No.

TooMuchAbstraction echoes my sentiment regarding the bees.

Got one, now his buddy can gently caress off.

Well that was...disastrous.

Let’s eat that Roundoff we got from Edward to cure the Seal. Again, I’m not sure why it looks like a giant pair of lips. What is that...made of?

Oh, it actually restores some HP/RP. I had forgotten about that.

Anyway, Orbin’ out. Time to go grab our next monster.

Oh this is already going poorly.

You will not believe how close this was. I did save first though. Anyway, LUCY is a pretty drat good name for a SatanDemon, but…

DarthTNT made a good suggestion with Dante.

Also look at my HP after this. drat.

VICTORY SWIPES

And that’s how Donnel partied so hard he passed out.

I know.

See you all next time.

Oh, regarding the marriage poll, I'm gonna keep it open until we clear a certain dungeon related to the top choice right now. (Mt. Gigant)

So it'll be a while. Remember if you want to vote, check the post first for the format stuff so my vote robot can calculate your stuff correctly. Thanks.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

inflatablefish posted:

Please tell me you can't actually have Donnel look into the women's bath.

Thankfully you cannot do this.

I haven't played the game, but the impression I get is that the only difference between fainting and sleeping is that with sleeping you have to manually go back to your house, whereas with fainting you get teleported to the hospital.

There's no penalty for fainting, except that instead of waking up at 6:00 AM you wake up at 9:00 AM. And yeah, in the hospital, not your house. I actually prefer that because you don't have to wait for shops to open.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

So! We've got monsters now. I imagine next time we'll find out what they can do for us, which will probably be wildly disproportionate to the amount of time and effort it takes to improve them.

I'll be showing that off next time, yeah. I'll probably be taking Dante, Kate, or OhGod into Toros with me. All monsters will fight alongside you (But only one at a time), some can give you food, and some can help water and harvest your farm. Of our current set, which I'll probably go over again in the update in case people don't want to read my babbling in these posts:

Kate can harvest crops
OhGod will give us Honey if we...uh...put a basket under it.
Dante won't do poo poo.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 19, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 12: Honey For Nothing, Fish For Free

Donnel’s back from unconsciousness, let’s do some more Factorying. I’m still comfortable with taking my sweet time waiting for some crops to grow before I really try to dive into the depths of Toros, but last time we acquired some Monster partners, and I’d like to let them show their stuff.

First, though, Donnel finds religion. I actually came here hoping to start a sidequest, but I got my days wrong, that only happens on Holidays. I think that’s really the only thing that ever happens at the church aside from marriage. Poor Wesley. Let’s drop by Neumann’s, since there are two new items we can snag there.

Uh, what? We had never discussed this, Felicity.

: This is a brush. Press the B button to prepare it and use it to brush the monster. From now on, you should be able to get along with monsters better.

: Thank you very much!

I mean, okay. So, the Brush raises the affection levels of your monsters at the cost of some RP. Affection improves the quality of the products of monsters that make them, and I believe it might also boost combat stats?

You’d be welcome to come with but you’re dying of wizard flu or something.

: It’s a basket. You can use it with monsters that lay eggs or make honey.

: Thank you very much!

We’ve already got a friend who can use this.

Inside PARTS, we have the rare wild Tabatha not standing on a staircase all day.

They really suck, it’s like 1 Defense, don’t even bother, friend.

So uh, here’s why Grazing Grass is also a pain. It costs 600 for the 3x3 square. I don’t remember if it regrows, if it does, that might be worth it, but you still have to water and chop it every day. Again, maybe better planted in caves.

This is what the inside of the hut looks like. Yes, it is, in fact, bigger on the inside.

I fish for the basket we got from Neumann as Kate holds an arrow to Dante’s neck. Don’t do that, Kate.

Oh hey, OhGod just gave us some free honey!

Honey is only accessible this way, and it never improves in quality with Affection. That said, 300G is a decent amount early game, and I believe some recipes later require it, so you’ll definitely want at least one Bee monster on your farm. You can get new honey once every 4 days.

So I’m trying to pet my monsters but uh

It’s not working.

I’m doing something stupid here, see if you can spot it.

Anyway, I think it’s time we headed back to Toros, with a partner in tow.

When you get a monster to join you, you are forcibly Orb’d out of the hut. I imagine this is just to avoid some weird AI bugs or something.

Alright, Kate’s joined our party.

You can check your current companion’s stats on the pause screen. HP, ATK, and Def should be pretty self explanatory. The 4 square grid is, I believe, for elemental attacks, although Kate has none. Friendship is how much Kate likes us (not at all.), and the Ability box shows off any special abilities. Kate can inflict a silence with her bow. Allegedly.

Into the Cave!

Ah gently caress wrong button.

Okay, trying again.

Kate, thankfully is smart enough not to step on these poison tiles. She’ll also sit back and snipe from a range, doing fairly little damage, but it does help.

I’m still lovely at fighting the Demons.

Always appreciate more of these.

Just caring for the crops now.

Kate got stuck on a stump.

I wanted to try and show how much damage Kate was doing here but my mad SKILL UPZ got in the way.

While I’m here, I’m going to get some mining minerals. Always useful, that. We’re going to need nicer tools if we want to make a lot of the higher end items.

Still, Scrap Iron shows up, much to my chagrin.

Good shot, Kate.

Now that’s how it’s done.

So, this is the furthest west we’ve gone in the cave. If people would like me to start making some lovely MSPaint maps of these, let me know, although if you’ve read the earlier updates you know the quality to expect. But what’s in here?

AH gently caress A WIZARD

ABORT

So, uh, admittedly that was, again, a wrong button. Thankfully it doesn’t boot you out of the cave. Also check out the description of that spell. The Grand Mage has a great name.

It turns out Escape-ing also doesn’t reset the HP of the spawners, I had it down in one hit and the wizard didn’t even show up. Those guys are called “Little Mages”, and they’re kinda...goat looking dudes? Kinda hard to tell on an early DS game.

Heading North and Kate’s immediately dashing into danger. What’s she after?

Oh gently caress. A laser elemental.

So this is a “Shindra”, and it’s hella annoying. They have one attack, a channeled blast of water that goes in a straight line, but it does heavy damage and comes out quick. It can also heal itself. It would be handy if we could turn some of its moves on ourselves….(hinthint i’m almost definitely recruiting a Shindra)

Yikes, 37 Damage from a single blast. That’s about double the damage of a Demon poke.

Luring out the attack and strafing is about the only way to gain any ground on these foes.

One room north we get a nice little iceberg, but I’m more concerned with something else right now.

RETURN OF LITTLE MAGE

I hosed off into the corner and decided to let Kate duel it.

She’s hitting for about 14 on this guy, which is respectable. Still, I never saw him get Sealed, sadly, that would have ruined him.

Kate killed one, but another immediately spawned and this time the tactical retreat was entirely on purpose.

Well, that was a productive trip.

Farewell, Kate. Thanks for your assistance.

I stopped by Leo’s to sell off some stuff, and to check something.

Still staring longingly at this thing.

I would like a better ‘ammer. We could use one to find the Crystals that are useful upgrade materials and gifts for a certain NPC people in the thread seem to like.

I have 3 Iron. Dammit.

Here’s a prime shot of Rosetta looking into my shipping box and being disappointed yet again.

Well, let’s while away the rest of the day with our friend the antisocial specter.

Some things will never change.

I am the most skilled fisherman.

I am so skilled I collapse into Sharron’s model as I faint from exhaustion out of just how skilled I am.

“Also you clipped through someone that was hosed up”

Okay, sure, but Edward…

Wanna buy some fish?

Since it’s a Holiday, Ivan’s in town.

He doesn’t seem to be a fan of small talk.

Ivan’s stock changes each week in a month.

The Shelves will store items for you. This is critical later, but right now, Donnel’s inventory is large enough that I really don’t care about it yet.

As for the table set, I think it’s literally useless. Just decor.

So I bought nothing from Ivan. NOW, though, I can start that sidequest.

To the church!

Tori’s not involved, but we’ve seen so little of her I figured we might as well get some dialog from her.

It’s Neumann we want.

: If I could have done that, Sabrina wouldn’t be so angry!

: Did you anger Sabrina?

What the gently caress does this even mean

So, anyway, that kicks off the longest side quest in the game. Also one with a pretty interesting payoff. For the next step, we’ll need to coax Sabrina into giving us some information, but she won’t do it for just anyone.

Alright, now I’m brushing properly. If you didn’t notice before, I was trying to brush these guys with the Friendship Glove earlier, and that doesn’t work. Whoops.

OhGod is going to join me this time.

Interestingly, his stats are flat out better than Kate’s. He can also inflict poison and get crits. Not bad at all.

this goes poorly

Off to Carmite to water the ol’ cucumbers first, and since we’ve seen so many interesting monsters in Toros, I’d like another hut…So I’m going to chop some stumps as well.

Also this orc archer hit me with one arrow, did 1 damage, and Sealed me again. Perhaps Donnel was simply never meant to be a wizard.

Yeah, chopping wood still beats the hell out of my HP/RP. I can’t decide if I want to prioritize upgrading the Axe again, Hammer, or Fishing Rod first.

...Donnel what are you even talking about?

Oh. Yeah, you can’t take monsters into town. We’ll need to go back for OhGod before heading for Toros.

Chatting with Camus outside the bathhouse wields...little information.

Post bath, holy poo poo it’s Lara outside of the Clinic. This is a day for rare villager sightings.

Alright, cool, Lara.

Okay, so, uh. I walked in here without the sword equipped and backed off to grab it. The satans aggro’d onto OhGod and decimated him. Farewell, insect pal. He’s not permadead or anything, just back at the hut.

Still hate fighting those drat demons. However, I am on a quest for a rather valuable monster, and I must press on, even without my buzzing buddy.

Back in the first room to the west, this breakable rock hides a passage…

Also a Skill Up.

But more to the point, hot drat, look at this field. So much nice poo poo in here.

I’ll definitely be back, but first, in the top right...a passage to a room with a one of a kind enemy.

Sheep! They’re called “Woollys” in this game.

They just kinda...flop at you. I just went ahead and cleared them out this time, because I’m missing something crucial before I recruit one. A name. Submit your best sheep jokes.

The rest of my HP bar was invested in choppin’

And I think that’s enough for now. I know these are sort of slow, plodding updates, but this is kinda how Rune Factory plays if you don’t rush it. If people would rather I try to speed things up, let me know.

Also we missed Neumann’s birthday.

Marriage Poll is still open, and Now accepting names for Little Mages, and ESPECIALLY Shindras and Woolys

Thanks for reading another of Donnel’s amazing adventures, like “getting a basket”.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Did Felicity tie her glasses to her hair, or are those circles a decoration on her clothing? :stare:

I looked up Felicity's official artwork and uh

They appear to be, like, cuffs over her top? I'm not entirely sure. Her hair may have been arrested.

Wayne posted:

And don't worry about Sharron, if anime has taught me anything, it's that collapsing on someone is the ultimate ice-breaker.

does anime say anything about giving someone like 5 boots you found in a river because that's the real make/break factor here.

ousire posted:

I vote we name the sheep Woolliam or Woolhelm. Farming puns are the only acceptable answer

Sadly, we only have 5 letters to name things. I'll pop that in the OP because I just kinda offhandedly mentioned it in an update and that was pretty silly of me.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Alavaria posted:

Looks like they are two rings which are basically used to keep the little cape on top of her. Each ring connects to the other as well as to an edge of the cape.

Now, you see, that makes way more sense, but this is Rune Factory, so that might actually count against it.

Darth TNT posted:

Little Mages: Egam
Shindras: Sqrt
Woolys: Ship

I'm glad everyone is paying proper tribute to the Grand Mage.

Also just wanted to mention that work is kinda getting hectic lately, so the next update might be delayed, as I sadly can't take a day off for "need to go pet a wizard until it joins my team". Not more than once a year, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 13: Requiem For A Sheep

We’re nearly ready for a full clear of Toros Cave, but there’s a giant, sheep shaped hole on our farm. It’s time for SheepQuest2016.

The first step in acquiring our wooly pal is heading to Toros.

The Sweet Potatoes and Eggplants are coming along nicely. Honestly, I think this is how you’re meant to do each cave, wait for crops to grow in each feel, keep your RP topped up, but it’s really more trouble than it’s worth.

Also yes the Demons did paralyze me again, it was a great time.

Before we snag a sheep, however, we’ll want a wizard.

Unfortunately my dodging skills are severely hamstrung by my paralysis and general incompetence.

Still, I prevail, and...we’re not naming it MAMA.

While I loved Zanzibar Ham’s Vivi suggestion, because Vivi rules, I just have to respect the name Wayne and Roro championed, in honor of our Grand Mage.

So, since I’m nearly dead here, might as well mine until I’m very very nearly dead.

I slowly hobbled over to Leo’s, paralyzed and sealed, to give him this.

Leo it’s in my loving hands don’t get semantic on me.

Fine.

Well, off to the Clinic again...or I could get sidetracked.

Sidetracked it is!

Two huts now, and Camus has something nice for us. He’d give us this anytime after we got our first monster, by the way, it’s just a coincidence I got it after two huts.

Camus is down with SheepQuest.

Don’t taunt me. I hate this town. Nobody understands Donnel’s plight.

If one more villager insults Donnel he’s going to snap and let OhGod loose in the Town Square.

We were informed. Several times.

Well, there go the status ailments.

Finally, the Dream Team of Hut 1 has assembled.

Kate, the Orc Archer. Master of espionage.
egam, the Little Mage. The brains of the team.
Dante, the Demon. The hardboiled anti-hero who doesn’t play by the rules.
Also OhGod, the Bee, who is a loving bee.

Oh wait I nearly forgot something.

Cucumbers still not done.

You might call this a close call. I call it “RuneFactory1.png”

Well, that’s enough near-death for one day. Tomorrow is the hour of the Sheep.

Dante is going to join us today. His intimidating qualities should frighten any sheep poachers away.

Goddamn, Dante’s got a stat block there. And some solid abilities. This is going to go gr

He’s almost dead. At least he distracted his Demon bretheren for me.

Oh also he stepped on a poison tile.

Farewell, Dante. You hosed up. So far Kate is still our most successful partner.

Alright, now just past these rocks to the sheep.

Past these rocks.

With my hammer.

Well I hosed that up.

Alright, just gonna take out my frustration on a wizard.

Also might as well farm these guys. Not only do the Shindras have a certain rare drop that’s really drat good, they have an ability I didn’t show off last time.

Here we go, this blue mist covers them…

And they heal to full. It’s a little annoying, but nothing to worry about if you keep up the combos.

Oh, also the room to the north has Ghosts.

Ghosts steal some HP with each hit, like the ants. Also like the ants, I have again been sealed.

Do you see why magic sucks in this game?

Thankfully, taking him down got me back to full HP, so may as well press on.

To the east is a huge tall room with some more Demons. Quite a step up from last cave’s constant Orcs.

Even further east! I’m starting to get lost in here.

I don’t even know what this spawner was I killed it so fast. The smart money is on “Demons”.

Oh, this one is Little Mages. This room has two spawners!

Oh no more apple boys

Finally we reach a door. So, I could go through this door to floor 2 if I had destroyed all the Floor 1 spawners. Unfortunately, the Wooly counts.

Exeunt, pursued by a Ghost.

Oh, here’s the other side of the gate in the first Rino room. Seems like there’s nothing to it but rocks, though.

Well. That was close. Only one way to celebrate a good spelunkin’.

SOME SWEET rear end NEW FISH BABY YEAHHH (that sheep block is really getting to me)

Not too bad.

Then Donnel went home and collapsed trying to pet OhGod.

...By the bee?

I’m not the one who never leaves her drat clinic.

Anyway, let’s go ahead and pet Leo by accident. Now that things are nice and awkward, we can reclaim our prize.

Finally, it is Sheep Time.

Dante was a failure, maybe egam can help us out.

He’s a wizard. He’s got wizard stats.

Also he’s smart enough to stay at a distance.

Oh hey, the Sweet Potatoes are ready. Gonna leave them for now, though, want that Rune for an actual run of the cave.

Eggplants are still gonna be a while, though.

Also egam just trampled on a poison tile.

Thankfully it works very slowly on monsters.

Look at this Iron Hammer. Finally we can defeat Volvagia and save Darunia.

Also, Silver! The next tier of ores, and pretty decent to sell too, if we're in a real pinch with money.

Still not free of Scrap Iron. Never free of Scrap Iron.

Alright, get pumped, egam, we’re goin’ in.

Uh egam it would help if you didn’t immolate the sheep.

Oh geez there’s too many of ‘em!

Finally, mission complete.

I’m sorry, I didn’t get the Micah reference. So we’re going with stone cold’s much beloved suggestion of “Shaun”.

Unfortunately the sheep are persistent. My faithful ally egam shoots fire while I fumble around trying to pull out my drat sword.

In the end, we stand victorious.

Well done, egam. Well done.

So uh, here’s Shaun.

The shears are, of course, meant for Woolys. I don’t think they work on anything else.

Making Shaun naked gets us a prize, however.

Woolys are the only source of this fur in the game. It can be made into Yarn with a machine bought from Ivan, and it has 3 levels, small, medium, and large. Since Shaun has no respect for us yet, he will only produce Small Fur.

Now that we’ve claimed it’s most valuable treasure, a sheep, we’ll begin to finish off Toros next time.

Also the SPRING FESTIVAL (we can’t do anything with it yet)

Now accepting names for Ghosts (though I probably won't get one they're pretty useless)

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 1, 2016

• Locked thread