Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

LordHippoman posted:

(Were I a more talented man, there'd be a photoshop of The Bachelor's logo here but the rose is replaced with a turnip or something, just pretend that's there)

Pretend no more!

(Now where's Camel Pimp with the PhotoShop snipe like in the Fire Emblem thread? :sweatdrop: )

This vote is pretty funny timing too, since I caught this thread right at the start (and when Rune Factory won our stream's "Harvest Moon" vote, convinced me to play 3 instead of 1, heh), and then completely lost track of it until this weekend... while I was on vacation for my friend's wedding. So in honor of the stylist who kept hitting on me, let's vote for:

##vote
1 Melody

Great LP and good to see you again, Hippo. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

I emerge from my Dark Souls hole (gently caress bell gargoyle and his best friend bell gargoyle) to appreciate this goodass fanart. Also from what people have told me, you made a good decision playing 3 over 1. This is apparently a series that got a lot better as it went on, but I've only played the first.

Aw, thanks. :shobon: As far as the gargoyles go, if you want a hint (no story spoilers, just mechanics): buy the resident key from the undead merchant, unlock the house in Undead Burg, and use one of the gold pine resins you get, dragon-types are weak to lightning. And if you haven't already, it's OK to farm some titanite and get your favorite weapon to +5, upgrading tends to offer a bigger benefit than leveling up.

And in Melody's case, Sharron is definitely the type of character I'm usually more interested in (well, 'intrigued by' really), but the wedding took place in Hot Springs, Arkansas; and everybody was plugging their favorite spa/bath house like there was a freaking hot springs mafia requiring everybody running a business on the strip to do that. The red mage hat is a plus, though, I'm hoping she works it into her wedding dress sprite. :v:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

AweStriker posted:

We have 7 characters, yes?

LordHippoman posted:

Well, unfortunately, the monster name limit is a piddly five letters. That sucks.

:(

Given that, the only possible choice for the lil' mage is Egam :v: , and Micah for the Woolly.

Comparing notes a bit, I'm a few days further into 1st Spring than you are, and that's taking about 7-8 hours (3 streams, 2.5-ish hours each). Seems like RF3 tosses in a lot of stuff to shake things up: they had a fishing contest, a sheep-shearing minigame (where you equip nonlethal weapons and try to combo a giant Woolly, probably my favorite bit of the game so far), and so on. Plus the request board has more interaction with the characters besides their primary shtick (well, some of them...). I've also bashed my head at the starter dungeon about 6 times now, but you don't seem to lose much time at all and it looks like you don't get charged for passing out in the first dungeon, so I've been comforting myself with the idea this is expected behavior. :sweatdrop: I haven't been able to recruit monsters yet, though.

And don't worry about Sharron, if anime has taught me anything, it's that collapsing on someone is the ultimate ice-breaker. It would be funny if the games factored things like that (I'm going to have to give sashimi to the mermaid in RF3 and see if that actually lowers hearts :D) instead of just pure straightforward materialism, but they're realistic like that. :v:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I decided to try RF3 again, and there's like 10 of them for some reason. Why so many??

?

I think the better question is why so many hues of colored grass that don't do anything, while weeds, medicinal, and antidote herbs are all green (and the latter two you'll probably use a lot)?

It's nice to see RF still has problems balancing its bosses, too. :v: The 2nd dungeon's boss in 3 took me 2 tries, and the run I beat it took about 10 in-game hours. I had the "fatigue" status show up on Micah for the first time and thought the boss debuffed me with something until I realized it was after 6am now. :sweatdrop: And hearing the RP travails is yet another reason I'm glad I started with 3; I'm already at the point I can spam attack spells pretty much freely, and they can be fun to use (the one I grabbed was the starter Earth spell, and it does decent damage and launches enemies backward).

And for Hippo and anyone else who hasn't played it, the stream before last I made a highlight of Micah's special wrestling moves while in sheep form here, they're pretty great. :D Not quite up to train-suplexing tier, but fun. Looking forward to seeing what the biggest enemy he can piledrive is!

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

The Wikia says she uses her hammer as a brush, which is among the weirder weapon choices the bachelorettes have in RF3 (but not the weirdest, the mermaid wields a giant fish, which jumped her up the ranks in my estimation a bit), yeah. It seems to be an anime version of a bush pick (the weird sculpting tool that looks like a tenderizer on one end and a point on the other) or mallet pick.

I don't know if you eventually can in RF1, but in 3 you can get NPCs as well as monsters help you out in combat, and I assume Daria would be wielding that. I've only invited NPCs a couple times since they seem to be pretty low-level (with a couple exceptions like Ninja Mom :swoon:).

Edit: Yeah, it just looks like she's hitting him, that's why I grabbed that one instead of one of the many others where she randomly shouts 'Rainbow.'

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

I think emoting in any way whatsoever would cause her horrifying neck cage to puncture her jugular.

Well, if she is a ghost, something had to kill her....

The more I think about it, though, I think our diagnosis is slightly off. Consider:
* Unnaturally pale skin
* Soulless eyes
* Gothic (to put it mildly) fashion style
* Wears a freaking rose

Sharron is clearly :drac:, not :ghost:.

So is it not possible to get a cluckadoodle or whatever at all by the time of the Egg Festival? In 3 you could absolutely run ahead to the Fall dungeon and scum a room until there were only chickens on the screen and tame one (as long as you'd unlocked the barn first, of course).

And speaking of, we actually joked about this last Friday's stream, but here in mid-Missouri last weekend a town about an hour away had the, er, Testicle Festival. So as weird as you think these games get, reality is stranger still.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

HardDisk posted:

Do the girls ever get tired of receiving a particular kind of gift?

Nope. In fact, since you can only give one gift a day (well, only one counts for affection; you can still give them stuff like equipment in 3), you should give them the thing they like the most every time if you can possibly do so!

I've been playing a little Rune Factory 2 to be able to talk about it vis a vis 3 in a stream some time, and that one has the one-two punch of one, gating the villagers' requests behind their friendship level (so you have to give them things to progress that, there aren't any repeatable requests like in 3), and two, making the entire first half of the game a tutorial that doesn't end until you get married, which, again, copious amounts of presents.

I'm definitely glad I started the series with 3; if it'd been 1 or 2 first, I probably would've stopped there and never gotten to it. :sweatdrop:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

:allears:

It's still so weird seeing magic so bad in this game. In RF3 I've started to rely on it more, since the third dungeon starts pitting you against entire waves of enemies that can hit you across the screen (and off-screen) with ranged attacks and it's too risky to close into giant fish range. My first successful run through it basically involved spamming so many Dark Orbs you'd think I was playing a chibi version of Dark Souls 2.

Speaking of dungeons, I do like RF1 making it mandatory to plow tiles in the dungeons to progress. The vastly shortened crop growth times in 3 (the longest I've seen so far is about 25 days, where I know in 2 you had things like the emery flowers taking an entire year) makes it less essential, but growing things out-of-season for recipes and gifts is really handy and I didn't even think about doing it until I had to clear space in the fridge. :sweatdrop: What I really wish is that you could get your monsters to take care of crops in the other dungeons. I just want to not have to spend time watering them every day, is that too much to ask?!

I really wanted to rep Alfred Chicken, but that's 1 letter too long. Hey, how about Fried Chicken? :D

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

What kind of sick gently caress hates milk?

Hey! :saddowns: Well, I just don't like the taste much, so I only drink it with cereal or mixed into protein shakes and stuff like that. Chocolate milk is great, though.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh yeah, one thing I don't like about RF3 (I don't know if it's the same in here) is that you need to manually carry axed logs to the log storage. ... I actually don't think you can take logs out of storage, so even if you have 1000 logs in log storage but no stumps/sticks in sight or any logs in the inventory then you're out of luck if you need one.

You're right, and I think that does make carrying lumber -> depositing it better than it automatically getting stored and you having to retrieve it. I can't think of a good way to make it work without over-complicating RF's stacking and one-action-button system. It helps that you don't need a ton of lumber, either; I have 4 barns and almost all the furniture and never went on a chopping spree, just cleaning out the fields once a month (which gives you free seeds and stuff for using in the pharmacy anyway).

Anyway, Hippo, just wanted to say thanks for soldiering on :patriot: , there's absolutely no way I would've kept playing after seeing just how long the game locks progress. I barely made it through RF2 far enough to get married and see how that all works, and reading that it's another couple months before the "real game" starts made me drop that like a bad habit too.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Oh yeah, and then put like a ledger off to the side to check how much lumber you have, like the book you can interact with in the barn. That probably would be easier. And I had no idea Daria wants that, I just gave her colored grass (and jam/jam rolls for special occasions).

I also forgot until just now (skimming back a bit and seeing Sharron), that my brother and I streamed Awakened Fate Ultimatum recently, and one of the girls' choice of accessory looked really familiar:

It's lace instead of [presumably] metal, but it seemed pretty similar and they're pretty similar characters; weirdo outsiders and all that. Just something we found interesting.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I guess it has something to do with it mostly being done by nostalgic city slickers I guess?

Just calling attention to this part because it is probably true. Why do you think there're so many games about high school by people going through their mid-life crises? The nostalgia for a better and purer time that [if we're honest] was never really like that in the first place is strong, and video games are escapist fantasy. So the question is really "Why aren't more games set in an idyllic place and time where you spend time however you want and make an honest and fulfilling living" and the answer is "Because they don't make very much money." :v:

But other than that, seriously, the HM/RF games are idealistic and escapist like crazy. Especially RF, where you're always some intrinsically special individual (monster or Earthmate) who gets to vanquish monsters, make friends with crazy people and hook up with your choice of cute anime lady. Deconstructing Rune Factory would be an astounding case of missing the point.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Internet seems to concur that the only way to get the best reward is to cheat. In the JP version as-mentioned you can just get the book before starting the treasure hunt, but someone else said you can get the book and not turn it in the first time, and get the best reward in year 2. Given that the game already gated the story to winter anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if that was "intended." Also, the same forum said there's actually an intermediate reward of 100k G/1000 wood that seems to be for 20-45(?) minutes. If that's true, well... hey, you got some skill levels chopping all that wood, right? :sweatdrop:

In RF2 there's a different problem with the "adventure" festival: the time is actually based on your DS's clock, so you had to manually set it to the top of the hour (or wait, of course) and then do it. I have no idea how anybody would realize that unless you got an exceptionally off time and reloaded and tried again or something.

LordHippoman posted:

The HP/RP restored by most food items is so minimal it's really not worth it (Unless there's some wonder item at Emmett's I'm not aware of, which I don't think is the case.), you're better off just getting more levels so your HP bar is larger, and skill levels so you consume less RP doing things like swinging your sword.

:negative:
That's some of the worst news so far. In RF3, food is overpowered to the point where you can pickle basic turnips into dishes that restore 40% of your RP, and turn eggs into pudding that cures fatigue (plus even more RP), and so on. I've kind of gotten into a rhythm of forging and upgrading a ton of stuff at once and scarf food to get all the RP back, and only then actually go outside. I'll still usually hit the spa for the last RP refill, the 300g cost is a balm on my conscience for abusing the system like that. :v:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

And SPOILERSHEWHOMUSTNOTBENAMED gives you Apple Pie.

Guess they really did want you to compare those guys with America, huh? :911:

Anyway, not surprised to see the wedding scene is basically the same as RF2's. I don't think I mentioned it in the thread (just in the RF3 stream), but marrying Yue was about as far as I got in 2. The last couple weeks grinding love points (wake up -> hug monsters -> farm -> start mining for aquamarines -> sleep) were absolutely miserable, and then not only do you get the generic quotes and everything, your wife loses her personality, and as luck just happened to have it, a hurricane hit the following day. Kind of took it as a sign. :sweatdrop:

Are the nickname options the same for every spouse too? I'm still getting a vampire vibe from Sharron (especially now, look at those dead eyes and the fact she went from one fancy white dress to another one) and I probably would've picked "milord," sounds like something a Ventrue would do. But even then, honeybuns is still funnier. :v:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

I heard that Lynette was only a bachelorette "post-game," and they weren't kidding; that was, what, 1 day between her switching teams and Terrable going Captain Planet on the Empire?

But yeah, thanks for the LP, Hippo, definitely looking forward to whatever you do next! :patriot: 3 is so much better than this one, I can't imagine actually playing it. Still think the mandatory end-of-year delay on Misty Bloom is the worst, since you can beat these games pretty quickly (and if you're not, saying, streaming one :sweatdrop: , you probably would). Carmite makes sense too, though, since JRPG difficulty is always worse when it hasn't opened up enough to work around it. The entire first half of RF2 was basically that, heh.

LordHippoman posted:

I didn't even show off the full body shot of Lynette in the credits where her army uniform has an inexplicable belly shirt.

Apparently her eyepatch is fake, too? Link to her wedding dress sprite. Dressing for Sechs is different, OK? :v:

Edit: Accidentally hit submit instead of preview! Just wanted to add that I do really like how the game lets you hook up with the megalomaniacal villainess instead of killing her off or writing her out of the story. It's the same thing that made Yuina such a hit in Sheep's Tokimeki Memorial LP.

Wayne fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

And yeah, for anyone who wants to see it, Truthkeeper is playing RF4 right now, and I'd definitely read an RF3 thread.

Have a link to make that easier! And I'd love to LP RF3, but I just don't have the time, especially for a SSLP. Would also read one! I've been uploading our stream of it and just got to year 2 if anyone is jonesing for RF3 in any format, heh. It's quickly become my favorite game in the genre, and definitely cracked my top 20 overall. I've joked a couple times that I never thought we'd see the day I was looking forward to playing Rune Factory more than Dark Souls. :v:

Tarezax posted:

Lynette may have two eyes but in that bridal sprite you can clearly see that one of her eyes is discolored. That eyepatch isn't just cosmetic

Could be, yeah. The Wikia just said she has heterochromia (:japan:) and I haven't seen a sprite with enough detail to tell.

Vorpal Cat posted:

See also Jacqli/Mir in Ar Tonelico II, aka lets date the genocidal final boss of the previous game.

Oh yeah, that's a great example too. I skimmed/skipped most of that LP, but the Mir bits were pretty great.

• Locked thread