Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I can post rationalize tonight's drawing to fit the theme. I'm great!

Did a value study for hotdog beards as part of an upcoming series I'm going to be doing revolving around hotdog flight through time. This fella needs some more drool, but it could totally be a wacky caveman hotdog... It isn't, it's either Icarus hotdog or Renaissance hotdog.

Edit: I should've pushed my values a bit, bit I'm super happy with how it turned out

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Venetus posted:

Oh. Okay, well, here's a really ancient Roman Senator.

I bought some watercolors today on a whim so I might try adding some color to this doodle if I have the time in the next few days. I have not touched watercolors ever unless you count those cheap ones in the plastic trays that they let you play with in elementary school, so I don't have high hopes.

Watercolors can be tricky, they're not opaque so things will show through them. Depending on what sort of pen you inked those lines with, the lines will likely bleed when exposed to the wet media. As a general rule any thumb, you'll want to work light-dark and wanna wait for layers to dry before doing anything on top of them with more paint. Keep your brushes clean and try to keep an active "puddle" that you kinda work down the area you're working on. If that piece is on actual watercolor paper you can also wet/moisten the paper before hand to get a different, sorta more stained effect. I recommend loving around with them a bit on a separate piece of paper before throwing them at this piece.

Admittedly, I'm rather garbage with watercolors but I'm pretty sure this is all sound advice. Anyone more experienced with the medium please feel free to chime in and correct me.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Coloring's a lot of fun. That said, your value range is really narrow here. That's not to say it'll stretch the whole range of values but push the darks and pull the lights. A narrow value range makes the whole image look flat. Generally speaking, large dark areas will appear to "come forward" a bit and light areas will appear to "recede".

Using the same kinda dirty lavender color for the outline of the hair and face doesn't make sense compositionality. If you're using color for your lines you'll want to use a darker shade or tint of the main color. Remember that shadows are also never black, they have a tendency to shift towards blue or cooler tones. A good way to look at shadow areas is to squint a bit and look at the colors without trying to analyze the shape and form of Shadow/highlight area.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
The refrigerator can't take it any more and is cannibalizing itself. If you were a fridge this would be vulgar

Gonna paint this on my friends fridge which currently has a horrible, talentless painting on it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Y'know the more you practice and draw/paint/sculpt/whatever that voice will progressively get smaller and quieter. Never stop creating and trying to improve your art, in the past year I've finally honed my skills to the point where I feel like my art is ready to be unleashed on the world. :feelsgood:

It's taken me almost 9 years to get there and I'm getting better everyday. I'm great.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Tonight some drunk dude got super pissed at me for calling his friend a moron to her face. To my credit she was/is. She admitted to voting for Trump and also exclaimed how Obama wasn't a US citizen. Guy threatened to kick my teeth in. I laughed and kept drawing.

Here's my artistic rendering of the guy. I may have taken a few liberties with him, but it's a pretty uncanny likeness.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Feels like an eternity since I drew anything... Turns out it's been like 2 days.

Sketched this out tonight. A wooden raygun/raycannon.

Still not quite cobbled together and rickety looking enough for me but it's a pretty solid start.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
More progress on wooden rayguns.

I'm too lazy to take a proper picture, so my Instagram post picture will suffice.

Edit: here's my Instagram for anyone interested.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 12, 2016

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

gmc9987 posted:

Got some color done, still a lot of work to do though.

This is super nice already. The foreground needs a bit of work to really pull everything together, but you probably already know that.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Turned my drawing into a flyer.

Not really sure if it is working. Especially not sure about the smoke element.

Help please!! I feel like I suck at graphic design. Font will be fixed soon.

All three in order here. Definitely like the 1rst and 3rd best.

The 3rd seems the best overall and most eye-catching. It's not super apparent what the flyer is for though. But agreed on the font as is, it totally doesn't fit the visual theme. I'd say a serifed, kinda angular font would work well here.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Your cat schtick is great. Keep at it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Haven't been drawing much lately. Finished this sketch tonight though, pretty solid value study

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made some drawings in preparation for painting my friend's refrigerator. Gonna make it kinda a dyptich altarpiece thing.

Gonna have some hotdog cherub type things, with these cool word bubbles.

The central focal point of the altarpiece will be a self-cannibalizing refrigerator.

Also did this edit to a coloring book last night.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

These are both hella rad!

Did some more work for my fridge dyptich. Cheeseburger crab monsters for the bottom door/panel focal point.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Got some solid work done on the top portion of my fridge dyptich/altarpiece. Still missing something in the bottom corners and top center. Had to stop though cause I fractured a rib in a drunken biking accident and while I like suffering for my art, it was hurting too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah I'm not thrilled with it either, but it's not gonna happen for several reasons. Mostly that it's a free painting on a refrigerator, and also that orange is a custom mixed color and I'm not terribly inclined to attempt to color match, paint over and redo the hotdog fairies.

I can probably add some stuff to the plastic moulding to make it seem less weird.

• Locked thread