Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

12: Bantaan Death March

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month. there might be a little general leeway at the end of the month, but don't count on it and don't ask for extensions.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

how many terrible words have been written through this thread and the ones before it? 1,693,000. Some of them might have been good? idk

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel yes, if you've signed up: synirc, #longwalk, but most of us hang out in #thunderdome

where are the previous months April, May June July, August, September, October , November, December, January, February

who tells the mods if i gently caress up and don't make it anyone can call in a failed toxx; if no one else does it I do

who checks i've done it i could just not and say i did lol you need to satisfy me, which isn't a high bar tbh, but I'll probably need to see something, up to you what that is

how long are you gonna do it for at least a year, but if it's working for people there's no reason it couldn't go on longer

ick ock shut up kei$ha

Long Walk 12: Bantaam Death March

flerp 15k 15 subs completed beep boop
potatocubed 6k LOOK POST you see a completed SMILE APPROVINGLY i don't know how to do that
guinness13 10k 5 subs NET GAIN ACHIEVED taht's allwe're here for really isn't it YES
redtonic 60k :siren:FAILWHALE, SOUND THE :toxx:IN:siren:
thyrork 4k "DOESN'T MATTER, WROTE ANYWAY" ARE THERE ANY SWEETER WORDS IN TEH ENGLISH LANGUAGE WELL YES, MELLIFLUOUS IS PRETTY NICE AS IS ROSARY BUT STILL THEY'RE P NICE IMO COMPLETED
grizpat 5k 20 subs SYSTRAN WOULD SHOUT AT YOU FOR YOUR WEAKLING GOALS BUT HE FAILED LAST TIME SO EH COMPLEETROOT SALAD AND FETA DELICIOUS
sparksbloom 10k FIRST TEN THOUSAND WRODS OF YOUR NOVEL, OOOH YEAH TASTE THAT AIR IS IT NOT SWEET BE WARNED IF IT'S TOO SWEET YOU MAY BE FARTIN SUGAR WHICH PROBABLY MEANS YOU HAVE TYPE 2 DIABETES
sittinghere 7k SQUEAKS PAST LINE LIKE LITTLE MOUSE BUT HEY THE LINE IS THE LINE ISN'T IT YES IT IS

RECORD OF THE FALLEN

CHTHONIC BELL/A PAINTED BIRD... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X4)
KILLFAST37... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
MORNING BELL... DIDN'T MAKE IT
DR KLOCTOPUSSY... DIDN'T MAKE IT
BOMPACHO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
CRABROCK... DIDN'T MAKE IT
REDTONIC... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MARTELLO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
THEHOMEMASTER... DIDN'T MAKE IT
JONKED... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANIME WAS RIGHT... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MAG7.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
KURONA BRIGHT...DIDN'T MAKE IT
SITTING HERE.... DIDN'T MAKE IT(X2)
IRONIC TWIST.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
TEQUILAJESUS.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANOMIEATTHEGATES.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANGELOPPORTUNITY.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
SPECTRES OF AUTISM....DIDN'T MAKE IT

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
15k words and gently caress it 15 subs too i dont even care :toxx:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm in for 6k words again. :toxx:

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
In for 10k, even though I kinda want to do less. 5 subs, as well :toxx:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
In for 60k again.

:toxx:

No subs this month. I need to focus on finishing up a romance and starting a novella (and hopefully finishing it, too).

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
In for 4k, considering raising the bar as the month goes on if IRL poo poo calms down. :toxx:

Not subbing because I have nothing complete enough(?) to sub yet!(???)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

5k words and 20 subs again :toxx:

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
In for 10k non-TD words. :toxx:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
in, 7K :toxx: :sidvicious:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
10K words of...just like whatever I feel like writing. :toxx:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
IRL poo poo happened.

Doesn't matter, wrote anyway and plan to continue.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
I'll have my full run-down for the month in a few days, but I wanted to pop in and say that one of my subs this month just got accepted for publication! I was subbing before these threads, but I've definitely stepped up my game since I started participating, and it's paying off.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
submissions:

words:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
This month has been a month of revising and filling out old stuff:

This short story is now ready for editing.

This game is mid-revision but looking good. Up from 6272 words to start with, so a net gain of 8390 words.

This game is going much more slowly. Up from 8307 words to start with, so a net gain of 2144 words.

And this is the only new project worth talking about : the opening of what I hope is going to be my entry to the 2016 IFComp. I don't know how much of these words count since at least some of them are actually code, but w/e.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

woop woop, go the good guys/gals

report in, everyone else! the hour approaches!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Guiness13 posted:

I'll have my full run-down for the month in a few days, but I wanted to pop in and say that one of my subs this month just got accepted for publication! I was subbing before these threads, but I've definitely stepped up my game since I started participating, and it's paying off.

Grats dude!

I have a shabby showing this month.

3876 words on a story I've been working at and getting nowhere with

And, much more shamefully, here are my TD entries+a brawl I'm still working on for 4416 words.

I will :toxx: next month to only include short story/novel work, and not SA-related writing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Close this month but no cigar. April will be better. :unsmith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
This month was...interesting. Scrapped some things and did a bit of work on stuff I wrote before. So have some word counts as proof of me writing at least 10K words this month. I actually ended up writing more but don't have proof of all of it.

Note that the first thing started at slightly over 10,000 words.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Got everything done. Will update with a picture as soon as I get back home, probably an hour or so.

edit:

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 1, 2016

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Wrote the first 10,000 words of my novel:

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Well, writing-wise, I did a lot of Thunderdome (for me, anyway), and didn't make much headway on any of my other projects. Total word count is 11,241.

Last month, the novel ended at 62,422 words. Now it's at 63,344, for a net gain of 922 words. I do feel like I've finally turned the corner on where the third act is going, so hopefully we'll see some improvement here in April.

Short story in progress ended last month with 5,133 words, and this month with 7,074, for a gain of 1,941 words.

Started a new short story, because focus has not been the focus of this month. 798 words.

My thunderdome entries totaled 4,099 words, including some expansion on one post-submission.

I also apparently took a poo poo ton of notes for the novel. 3481 words worth. More than triple of what I actually wrote. Because I'm awesome like that.

Submission-wise, I put out 15 subs this month, one of which has been accepted! Yes, there are only 14 pictured. I forgot to include withdrawals, and I'm too lazy to go back and re-screen cap it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Closed it off, well/badly done all who did well or badly.

• Locked thread