Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Aphra Bane posted:

Great OP as usual :)

Man, this year's casting is SUCH a step up from last season. I can't decide on a favourite queen. I want at least 5 of them to win :ohdear:

Seriously. I mean I want Bob to win, but I want one of the others to go back and retroactively win last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gandlethorpe posted:

You'd think Cynthia's "cucu" would get old, but nope.

Counterpoint: yep. Almost immediately.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CHiRAL posted:

It works for some, I'm personally not bothered by it. Everything else she said has also been entertaining and combined with Chi Chi things just get magical

Yeah I like her quite a bit in general, I just think the catchphrase is boring and way too obviously forced.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

overseer07 posted:

Two episodes in, and this season is already head and shoulders above season 7.

Yeah seriously. I'm already pretending S7 didn't happen. It was so thoroughly forgettable that it's actually quite easy.

Not to be weird but I just kinda want to pet Kim Chi and tell her everything's going to be okay.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I'm not shocked that Layla left, she was giving me serious Hot Topic teen goth vibes and that just doesn't stand out anymore. Seeing her cry when she left was so heart wrenching, though :(

Yeah I liked Layla and would have liked to see her grow a bit in response to the competition. However, this season is so jammed with talent that there's just not room for someone who's not already pretty drat near the top of their game.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flyinglemur posted:

fake edit: I have to say that Cynthia really grew on me this episode. If she ditches her "catch phrase" and just goes with the flow, she is pretty loving awesome.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hope it's Latrice.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ALFbrot posted:

I mean, I always hope that Latrice can be on my TV the maximum amount of time

Yeah, exactly that.

I was once walking down the street in Sydney with my wife and I just started smiling really huge for no reason, and when she asked me why I said "I just thought of Latrice Royale's laugh" and then she started smiling too.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Keep spreading your cucu" is now one of my favorite drag race lines ever, and makes me retroactively regret every bad thing I said about Seeeeentias gimmick.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

A huge part of me is praying that Derrick Barry says that he'll do Willam instead of Britney. It'd be a great choice and he has the chin.

That would bump Derrick up in my estimation considerably. Even the attempt, however lovely, would be amazing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

The pretend challenge that Ru was telling them about would be amazing! I would kill for a show where queens have to drive around together finding roadkill and making evening gowns out of it.

Better if they had to make evening gowns FOR it and have a roadkill pageant.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

One thing is for certain is that choosing Madonna from her role in the Dick Tracy movie would be a surefire elimination. Nobody wants to be reminded of her time spent loving gross old Warren Beatty.

Warren Beatty does :smith:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

You fucker

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

The cowardly lion outfits really would have been a million times better if they had the giant mane that Linda Evangelista wore in the Too Funky video.

And if Robbie hadn't dressed someone with an already stout physique in something so bulky that it made her look like a throw pillow with a face.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

Thorgy looked like she smelled like an old sponge and I'm glad to see her stinky dreads gone.

:lol: well put. I kinda agree, I've never really liked Thorgy as much as a lot of other people seem to, and even though she sells herself as a comedy queen I just don't find her remotely funny. Way too clownish, and not a lot of surprises. Her LSFYL this episode was a good example; completely inappropriate hammy delivery, no emotion, no insight, just irritating.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

big black turnout posted:

Probably to repeat herself

BAM

But seriously that sounds fun as heck.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Boy that sure was a thing I just watched.

AGREED

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good lord, what an episode. Various reactions:

Mini-purse was the best thing ever.

That seemed drat close to erupting in violence at a few points.

Kim Chi's makeup worked for all her other looks, but in the Strangers With Candy bit she looked like a triggerfish.

loving hell, who knew Bob had moves like that?

Derrick really did try, but at some level never really seemed to understand what the judges weren't seeing, or didn't understand how to deliver it. Just not on par with the Final Four. If future seasons do bring a queen back, I'd like to see where Derrick is a year or two after this experience.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spite house posted:

Rewatched and am now convinced that Derrick's serial-killer-wall corset was one of the worst, if not THE worst, looks ever on this whole show.

Yeah, and the more she loved it, defended it, and talked about the time she spent on it, the more I just felt really sad for her. Like to the point where I was torn between "I hope she has the self-awareness one day to understand how to do better" and "I hope she never has the self-awareness to see how hard she defended something that is so uninspired and poorly done".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bob the Drag Queen: healer

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh did they actually show Rolodex of Hate? The wife and I watched about fifteen minutes of it a couple weeks ago before giving up. poo poo just wasn't funny.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Had no idea straight dudes were that rare at drag shows; I've only been to a couple of them. May not be the way of things here in Oz, though.

Our only friends who like to go clubbing are gay, so the only time the wife and I go out dancing in Sydney we end up going to gay bars. Hadn't been out in a year or two until recently we had a (also gay) friend visiting from the states who wanted to go clubbing, so we did. Seems like all the old gay bars in Sydney are now filled with straight couples, and are about half as fun as they used to be. Basically looked around and thought "hey this sucks a bit now and I'm part of the problem". Sorry, gay Australia people. We promise not to do it again (until Bob's show in October).

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 13, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Although come to think of it, it's a bit hard to tease apart correlation and causation there. Sydney's lockout laws have shut down a huge number of bars, which may be the reason for the influx of straight people. They've also seriously killed attendance in the bars that remain open, so maybe both are just a symptom of Sydney's efforts to kills its own night life to some extent. For whatever reason, the atmosphere was different and it was way less fun.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

I'm thinking it's just correlation, because I've seen lots of Aussies bitching online about how the new-ish liquor laws have killed Sydney's nightlife.

I hope that's true. :unsmith:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Went to a drag contest in Austin last night. It was a lot of fun, and now all those people who made fun of me because I hadn't seen a drag queen with plastic hair have simulated sex with a man made of food and then beat him to a pulp with a hammer will have to find something else to tease me about.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Went to the Austin showing of battle of the seasons last week and it was really fun. Some of the bits were unimpressive, but there were some highlights that were just extraordinary. Jinkx in particular just lights up the joint, and can sing far, far better than I had anticipated.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

curiousTerminal posted:

Logo put out the first real trailer for All Stars 2, and revealed the major difference between this and the regular show: The top two Lipsync for their Legacies and the winner gets to pick who goes home

I read about that on the AV Club this morning lying in bed and woke my wife up laughing. That is going to be some shady, shady poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol

• Locked thread