Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

My feelings on this season's crop of queens are so much more complex than just top 3 alone I can't take it.

:sparkles: CT's Certified Cool Cats Team With Awesome Fashion Sense: :sparkles:
Acid Betty
Dax!

:3: CT's Certified Cute Lovable Dorks Team Who Should Stay On As Long As Possible: :3:
Cynthia Lee Fontaine
Laila McQueen

:toot: CT's Certified All-Around-Awesome Sweeties Team Who Should Win It All Together: :toot:
Thorgy Thor
Kim Chi

But literally all of them are actually really cool yayyyyyyy it's back bitches! :sotw:

EDIT: And sheesh how could I forget Bob :psyduck: Of course she's kick-rear end but I don't want her to ruthlessly slay everyone I like them too much :ohdear: Let us have some suspense BTDQ :ohdear:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bina posted:

Is there a way I can watch the first episode minus the lsfyl? I am at home sick and I am super boredosis

The first 10 minutes are up on Logo.com :) The rest that's online is just shakeycam from when people were at the LA premier, though :saddowns:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Boy were a good deal of those interviews boring as hell. Bob sure is something though.

The MTQs freaking suck, I think everyone's just stressed and nervous because they do all the official publicity stuff at the same time back to back. I liked these brief queerty interviews (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) and the various red carpet video interviews floating around youtube a lot better.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Stoat posted:

So hype for this, mainly because the team behind the show must be super pumped to not repeat last year's shitshow.

I really want the inside T on what on earth was going on backstage before and during the show last season. Heck, I want the inside T on every season, period. (When does Willam's book drop again?) I'd especially love the full origin story, Season 1 is so clearly drag-on-a-dime that it continues to be unbelievably charming. I was hooked from the moment they decided the first photoshoot challenge was to just have the queens lay on the hood of a car while they sprayed water on them. :allears:

Most likely the Season 7 mess was just a natural result of poor casting decisions in creating that particular mix of queens while messing with the Untucked format, though.

Anyway, onwards and upwards! :dance:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 8, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

spite house posted:

Quinctia has the right of this, imo. The problem was the mismatch between the queens and the challenges. It would have succeeded as a fashion-focused season.

I actually thought the Untucked format was the best thing about the whole fiasco. Smoking ramp 4lyfe.

You're right, it's as much about the challenges as it is the queens, and the first episode's fashion challenge is instantly memorable because so many of the girls really turned it out before immediately beginning the onslaught of GROUP ACTING CHALLENGES :argh:

Cocks Cable posted:

What's the Untucked format going to be this season?

Same as last season, I think, available through World of Wonder's YouTube channel tomorrow, broadcast on Canadian TV (and possibly others) after the show like normal. The format will likely be the same, but they'll probably have made some quality of life upgrades and maybe made it look a little less bare backstage now that the Realness theme is gone? We'll see. Either way those couches looked uncomfortable.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Oh god Bob gazing into the distance :haw:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Also not sure if I unironically want endless Britney puns or if it's just going to get old

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Reddit is saying that the American watchers just got an All-Stars 2 commercial :saddowns:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

All this werkroom footage :swoon:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pinwiz11 posted:

I thought for sure that Robbie was going home, considering how front-loaded his confessionals were .

It was surprisingly bait and switch considering how Tempest was telegraphed last season.

Also UNTUCKED SPOILERS Bob and Derrick are really tearing into each other in a super entertaining way, I am here for this rivalry despite how predictable it is. They have great rival chemistry

EDIT: Thinking about it more, their differences feel fundamental and philosophical about how they look at and think about drag so it's not super personal but it's still fiery. :getin:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 8, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

So sad seeing how rattled Naysha was. This really is every drag queen's one big shot at the big time. loving up really could mean the end of your drag career.

But at the end of the day YOU GOTTA KNOW HOW TO SEW. :eng99:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

First 10 minutes of the next episode were up on Logo's servers, featuring:

- Naomi coming for Laila in a serious way and Laila admitting she needs to step up her game
- A simply adorable mini-challenge
- Acid Betty getting fully slotted into the villain role
- Chi Chi clashing with Acid
- Thorgy spilling what sounded like honest tea about Acid's reputation back in New York that IMHO cements their rivalry that was hinted at in the first episode

All really delicious stuff proving this season isn't a one episode wonder, holy poo poo it's all happening :dance:

criscodisco posted:

Just curious, how common is Logo among cable companies?

In my experience Logo required a specialty entertainment/extra cable package. Just having the basic cable package like most people usually isn't enough to do it.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

Chi Chi is a real life Lafayette from True Blood and I love it. CLF's constant references to her CooCoo was tiring and I wish Bianca had been in the photo shoot to call out Acid Betty. Anyone know what she wasn't there? Was there a falling out or just schedule conflict? 'Cause drat that would have been great if she had come from around the corner to give her a "Really Queen?".

Go Bob.

Bianca was apparently on set filming for Hurricane Bianca at the time of the show's taping (with a late summer release anticipated).

Troposphere posted:

I thought Thorgy was ok but lord those white boy dreads. not a cute look. like a dreaded weird al.

I think he's cute but I strongly suspect it's only because I have a crush on Cosima from Orphan Black. :3:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I was never a big fan of Tyra while she was on Season 2, but I still admire her strength and respect her win, especially given the stressful circumstances of her appearance on the show (by all accounts she and her son were homeless right before she went on and Tyra saw taking home the prize as the only way out) and the way she's been dogged by the same difficult circumstances of her background that have continued (money doesn't make anything instantly better except your teeth and your bank account).

Mr. Owl posted:

If they were just going to have a cardboard cutout for Tyra Sanchez, why not include one for Bianca since she couldn't show up either?

Bianca's since been photoshopped into the pics, but I'm glad they kept the clown in those versions.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 9, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

And am I the only one who is getting real tired of the whole "Manic Latino" schtick?

Mouse Dresser posted:

I'm just sick of pageant queens showing up and thinking being gorgeous is all they loving need.

I miss Yara and Alexis so much. Yara was kooky and Alexis was pageant but they both really came to play. We haven't had any major PR players since them (and Nina Flowers of course!), even April didn't really make it that far.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, I don't think Laila really deserved to be bottom two, that jacket was great. Hard to compete with Kim Chi and Acid Betty in terms of outfits, but Laila put in a lot more effort than some of the girls.

Laila's gotten two enthusiastic Toots from Raven and Raja about her jacket and, if you've watched the 10 minute preview of next episode, Laila rightfully goes off at being in the bottom two: "Naomi's boat looked like poo poo, Cynthia's outfit was a knock-off pink version of Detox's from her season, and Miss Derrick Barry — girl, the first episode? A bikini? Really?" :lol: I'm kinda a fan now. :3:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Every Reality Show Ever, But With Only Drag Queens

I wanna watch Drag Queen Survivor

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

First episode with commentary from Violet and Raja is up and it's so amazing.

They did the same thing last season and it was so fun, wish they'd do it for more than the first episode. :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'm going to dissent and say that I thought it came off as a pre-planned reality show stunt.

I'm definitely not bitter because despite being obviously depicted as filler my favs both got sashay'd away before their time :qq:

(I'm just bitter and the double elim will probably just help highlight their careers and get them mad #Justice4 fans)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mouse Dresser posted:

At least that's better than bringing back a queen who was already on the show. Plus, you've got INSTANT villain heat from whomever shows up.

Sad that Dax was eliminated. I wanted to see more from her, I love a geeky queen. But she seemed to be like the Comic Con version of a pageant queen: all look and no play.

I loved Dax's nerd schtick, and wish she had more opportunities to show it off — but you really can't wait for the show to give you chances to show off your schtick. You gotta really shove it in there at all times (see Bob constantly cracking wise, Derrick immediately doing Britney repeatedly) and always be ready for a lip sync just in case (in the Queens' Commentary last week Violet revealed she always built tearaways and other gimmicks into her outfit just in case, if either of the queens had something like that up their sleeves/dresses that might have made the differen — haha just kidding, Ru had this planned all along so he could bring someone back and cause :frogsiren:drama:frogsiren:).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Troposphere posted:

I hope Bob chooses Britney just to gently caress with Derrick

:pray:

Snatch game is going to be so good this season (although God Naomi better play someone funny can't take another pop star on snatch game)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Octolady posted:

(I really hope it's Tatianna)

Me too but pretty sure she's a lock for AS2. I think it's going to be someone like Kelly Mantle too, who clearly had some kind of redeemable talent but got offed in the early/mid-game. People like Laganja would eat up way too much oxygen.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bina posted:

Why does RU have Courtney blocked?

Ru is one of those people who holds a serious grudge, and both Michelle and Mathu have stories of Ru completely shutting them out for a few years after disagreements. Courtney publicly disagreed with Ru during the She-Mail controversy. Not hard to imagine what happened next.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Surprised Naomi hasn't been called out for relying on that bod. All her runway looks have been two small pieces of fabric and LEGS.

Her acting wasn't that great either. Naomi should have been in the bottom this week.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I love Robbie, she's an on point and utterly classic old school queen who really knows how to work her flexible niche of retro drag.

Speaking of which, Michelle can go suck eggs for trying to tell Robbie her outfit and hair "weren't giving her roller girl". Wish Santino was there, he seemed to have a basic grasp of the history of fashion.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Apparently Dax had a bunch of cosplay looks but WoW won't air anything copyrighted :sigh:

This policy is also responsible for more than a few Snatch Game switch-ups as well, in case anyone is wondering why some queens who should really have known better picked Snatch Game characters who seemed like horrible last-minute unfunny decisions. (Although presumably some really did just make last-minute and/or unfunny decisions for other reasons.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bob x Purse #pursefirst :swoon:

I love that Bob actually has plenty of competition, I was worried this was going to be a No-Duh crowning like Season 6, which is fun but not actually that entertaining.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Kim Chi really needs to work on her confidence.

I think of it more as just playing the game. Her vulnerabilities offer something she can "work on", which Ru adores. This comes off as super-duper cynical but it's a classic Drag Race "arc". To quote the AV Club:

quote:

I don’t know how aware Kim is of how well she’s playing the Drag Race game, but she absolutely kills it in this episode despite being one of the bottom queens. After surprising the group with her backstory, she shocks them further by revealing she’s still a virgin, which brings her lots of attention from the cameras, but also the rest of the queens, who rally behind her to show support and affection. Kim is also the only queen to take advantage of the new Shade Tree confessional room (at least in any sort of meaningful way that the show’s editors choose to include in the episode), and she shows a level of vulnerability in that scene that highlights the value of a confession room. Having a place for the queens to express their thoughts in the moment allows for more honest emotion than the talking heads that are filmed afterward, and Kim Chi uses the Shade Tree to bring even more depth to her story. She’s getting a lot of attention, and if Kim can continue to work the cameras while nailing the runway challenges (she looks incredible this week in her cherry blossom nymph drag), she may be able to avoid lip synching for her life, which would surely be her undoing.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

It's like the queens who show up that don't have a good impression ready for Snatch Game. How long has the show been going on that you're still showing up unprepared for it.

It's been a Drag Race interview question for a while now, actually. You can't get on the show without thinking about it pretty extensively.

I don't think queens are unprepared for Snatch Game. I do think queens either A) don't know they're not actually that good in comparison to the other queens or B) get caught off their guard in some way (another queen ends up doing their character, production tells them "whoops forgot to tell you that character's off-limits" etc.

Both of which still ultimately mean "unprepared" in the end, of course, but the fact that you're required to submit a Snatch Game character with your audition interview makes things a little more complicated than the Not Knowing How to Sew/Dance/Act thing. Which is INEXCUSABLLLLLE :argh:

Just realized...Cynthia won't be there to play Snatch Game :qq:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

Has anyone else watched it recently?

Just rewatched it for the heck of it and drat it was just as whisker-close as I remember it. I personally think Sharon would have won it if Ru didn't flat out pull a double save, which they deserved (and essentially got), Phi Phi overdid it just a tad as you mentioned but it would have been a real shame for either to go.

EDIT: Also we've ALL spent YEARS wondering WTF really happened, Willam is an enigma wrapped in a freakin' mystery :psyduck:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

T-minus 1 hour, 26 minutes.

I am obsessed.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Stroop There It Is posted:

Derrick is not top 3 material unless she pulls some serious pizazz outta somewhere

She's not even top 4, maybe not even top 5 given that she's been saddled with the Ultimate Drag Race Curse of Michelle Wanting Something More You.

Like. It's impossible to pull off. (See: Ben DeLaCreme.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Was watching old Snatch Games last week and Tatianna's Britney still holds up really well, actually, Derrick would also have a decent comedic bar to clear.

I think he could totally pull a Britney on Snatch Game as long as he does something completely different on the runway.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Katya and I simply wear flats to everything, or, if absolutely necessary, a very chunky heel.

Just say no to Foot Genocide :colbert: (although yes they look so awesome :sigh:)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Gia Gunn is on the Divas of Drag tour and is turning it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYoj6Sw_YFo

She also was recently interviewed on Hey Qween, and it's obvious she's come a long way. She's also in the process of going on hormones and exploring transitioning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ujFjg23hI

Also Acid has melted my heart and I really don't want her to goooo :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Given that Acid really brought it to every episode and killed it on the runway while Naomi lost the performance, was basic on the runway (in general as well as tonight), and instantly pulled off all her clothes, Acid going home was a mistake, pure and simple. :colbert:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

big black turnout posted:

I was really disappointed in Betty for not having some kind of tear away with another outfit underneath. It also just kinda speaks to her arrogance, because she should've been expecting to lip sync after that snatch game performance

Ever since I learned that Violet had tearaways and tricks ready to go every week my sympathy for queens has diminished. You gotta be so dang prepared that they cannot send you home without rioting in the streets no matter how they edit the lipsync.

...although ugh Betty I miss you so much :smith:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Thorgy's apparently spilled the T at her RPDR viewing party that the producers strongly encouraged her to keep her kimono look (and that she now wishes she had switched to her Plan B Madonna look as she intended).

Still no excuses because you gotta have the Nerve to buck producer trickery, but that helps explain that remarkable coincidence somewhat.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Chaotic Flame posted:

Where are these viewing parties with Thorgy?

At the Metropolitan Bar in Brooklyn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It was her Time To Go, I know, and Derrick definitely won that lipsync fair and square, but can't help but feel like Chi Chi should have been in the bottom. (And that maybe I'm just a contrarian who disagrees with literally whatever Ru/the producers do?)

please please please wear a corset/stuff a bra or contour on some boobs jaysus christ :psyduck:

Mouse Dresser posted:

Can't say that I'm surprised to see Robbie go, but I will miss the shadiest confessional queen.

:colbert: Wheels. :colbert:

Ugh my favorite moment. Robbie was a stone-cold, Grade A old school bitchy drag queen. Sayonara sweet thang :patriot:

• Locked thread