Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Man, it seems like there was some backstage conflicts of interest that helped lead to the mess that was last season. The majority of queens were either look queens or camp queens, neither a genre which really lends itself to performing well in prefabricated scripted challenges. Given Jinkx and Bianca's (and, to a certain extent, Sharon's) talents, I could almost understand casting more heavily for runway queens to round out the recent winners if the season had been more focused in that vein. Closer to Season 3's focus.

But then we ended up with a season where on Episode 1, instead of putting the queen who wore a visible black bra for a nude illusion and the queen that thought a fabric tube qualified as resort wear in the bottom, we had a queen with major weight loss whose body suit was a bit baggy and another with what was, in the scheme of things, a relatively minor paint error up for elimination. I think that really sets the tone for a lot of missteps to come. We didn't even get a real ball challenge. Double snatch game winners for no good reason. Jaidynn getting read for one of the more interesting Death Becomes Her looks while Kennedy didn't even get critiqued that week, despite looking like a hot mess.

It did leave me with the utmost respect for Violet. She managed to get through that shitshow without lipsyncing for her life once. And I never felt like she skated by or didn't deserve it. Her competition might have been a bit fiercer along the way if the majority of the bottom 2 selections along the way didn't seem completely loving bonkers, though.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this season, though. It seems like some of the criticism for last season was heard. And there was some turnover in production...which hopefully led to a more cohesive competition this go-round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I've found that the ios app still works* for me, logged in. I don't know if you can still do it, but you could choose xfinity as your provider and log in with facebook, and you could watch. I still can.

* The logo ios app, much like their website viewing plugin, does not stream properly; I wanted to watch a bit of Season 1 this weekend...it took me twice as long as the runtime to get through episode 1, and then I gave up. My favorite part was coming back from the commercial break before the runway judging for the app to suddenly be showing me part of a random episode from Season 7. So it works as much as it ever did. You can probably muddle your way through an episode if desperate. If you do get the app to work, you should be able to watch live. Or, if they get slammed during the initial airings, there are often repeat airings of episodes late, late on Monday nights. For me, live streaming of what was currently on the channel has worked slightly better than on demand streaming in the past.

Illuen posted:

At least it looks like they gave the music people more than 20 dollars this year. No more third string Ace of Base songs.

...we haven't ever had Ace of Base, I don't think. Their couple of well-known singles would've made fun choices. Perhaps when they're done scraping the bottom of the Paula Abdul barrel.

I was a bit sad at the quality of the lipsync, given Applause is one of my favorites.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Speaking of Star Trek, I was surprised to learn that Dax's boy name is apparently also Dax, making her drag name not a DS9 reference?

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I was feeling that episode so much. And some of those acapella arrangements of songs got to me more than the originals.

The ending ruined it a bit. I didn't like how the lipsync results were telegraphed before it even started. That's not cute. If the editors can make Katya teleport in Untucked, and Max show up immediately before "She Already Done Had Herses" in the episode after she was eliminated, why you gotta tell me the ending of the lipsync for your life before it begins?

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I would've done something ala Desperately Seeking Susan, Material Girl, or the look from the Frozen music video, just because I would think those were fun. I'm in my early 30s and Ray of Light came out when I was in my early teens and most of the singles were ridiculously overplayed on VH1 back then. If you were born in the 80s at all, you might have been more exposed to that than other videos...unless you had a crippling addiction to Pop Up Video like I did. I think my favorite Madonna video is still Like a Prayer.

But, since this drat runway made me go watch the Nothing Really Matters music video for the first time in almost 20 years, I now have some strong opinions:
- I had forgotten what a visually striking video that was. And there are two interesting kimono looks in the video. I always liked that track, so I could see where more than one queen could have gotten inspired by it.
- However, the looks I half-heartedly liked (Thorgy's and Kim Chi's) now completely disappoint me.
- Why were none of those kimono looks properly monochromatic? There was an all black one with some wacky vinyl sleeves, and the all red one was paired with red boots.
- No one came close to the makeup, either. The black kimono look had a red stripe across the eyes, and the red look incorporated red brows. Drag those looks up to 11 or something, but they looked minimalistic compared to Madonna. And that's just lame.
- I guess I can begrudgingly give top kimono toots to Thorgy for doing some of the video movement on the runway. But UGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

CaptainScraps posted:

◄ CHRISTEENE (Hell)

...dying at this!

• Locked thread