Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I don't know why the Brits should care about laws restricting guns when they banned private ownership under new labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Extreme0 posted:

That's because our media is cancer.

All media is.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
We could also just put all Germans into a place called Germany and then force them to not let in foreigners and protect their borders all the while paying France a lot of money to keep their nukes pointed somewhere else.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You will find a 10m tall wall is sufficient.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
One could argue the Dutch are already the western moat so there's no need to build one there.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Criminals/terrorists use illegally acquired weapons so why restrict legal ownership? It would not solve any problems.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

on that subject, is Roma or Romani really the cool thing to say instead of Gypsy? I don't want it to be like that time when it filtered through that you're supposed to say Inuit instead of Eskimo, and then it turned out Inuit referred to a specific tribe and there's plenty of northern indigenous peoples who get mad if you call them inuits

Roma are a distinct ethnic group among gypsies as are Sinti and a dozen others who HATE being called Sinti or Roma and actually prefer to be just called gypsy.

Basically you're wrong depending on who you talk to.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Adar posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/24/austrian-far-right-wins-first-round-presidential-election-norbert-hofer

Is this a LePen in France type thing where the second round will be a unity vote, or is the Austrian left and center not unified enough for that / they're gonna follow Poland?

So far the other candidates/parties have refused to endorse a candidate for the second round. Usually soc dems would support a green candidate but they are on the record as saying "that's not contemporary any more".

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Hammerstein posted:

The president in Austria is a ceremonial figurehead with little actual power. His major function is the dismissal and inauguration of new governments, and this power is regulated by our constitution.

That's completely wrong. On paper he is one of the, if not the most powerful heads of states in Europe.
The French president may look more powerful because he is actively involved in the French government but actually has less constitutional powers than the Austrian one.

It has merely been exercised in the manner you describe.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Hammerstein posted:

Not necessarily. You see, there is a lot of context here and what the president could do (in theory) is very different from how things actually work.

All it takes is a single determined person to change how power is exercised. It exists and is there for the taking.

quote:

She's pretty much living the Austria national lie, about people having been seduced by Adolf, instead of being fanatical supporters.

Standard post-war Austrian education. Move along, nothing to see here.

quote:

When it comes to political tradition, the president has never made use of the full envelope of his power in the history of Austria, nor does the president meddle with or comment on daily politics.

He could - in theory - deny the nomination of certain ministers or refuse to sign certain laws. But the latter has not happened as far as I can remember

Heinz Fischer refused to sign a law because it applied some punishments retroactively.

quote:

It's really close this time and no matter how it ends, it marks the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. The good thing about one of the most heavily criticized features of the country, namely it's completely over-sized administrative apparatus, is that it things keep on functioning, even if the government is defunct.

You should read up on Japan, where politicians are more or less superfluous. The system was designed to be run by the bureaucrats.

quote:

drat, so I'm guessing that socdems are more likely to go Green and CCs more likely to go Hofer, and likewise that Indie's bloc will go Hofer. Given that the socdems failed to threshold for round 2 I have a feeling a Green win would require half the country forgetting the date.

More like the other way but VdB is actually completely unacceptable as head of state. He stated he would refuse to appoint a democratically elected government formed by the FPO simply because he does not like its politics.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Hammerstein posted:

Never gonna happen, which you should know as Austrian.

So why is everyone talking about falling skies when the FPO is involved then?

quote:

1938 Heldenplatz, Vienna :"That Adolf, he has some good ideas. And he's one of us".

Fast forward....

1945 "I'm standing up to my knees in corpses. How did that happen ? I remember nothing."

Ahem.
The Allies, 1943: You know these Austrians were really the first victims of Hitler.

Austrians, 1945: You don't even know half of the degradations we had to suffer, boss.

Tesseraction posted:

I'd have thought his glaring red-title might have given you a hint. :v:

I didn't even get it for DND poo poo posting!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Pluskut Tukker posted:

(edit: to be clear, I'm all for the abolition of Luxemburg, seeing as its very creation was a historical accident that could be rectified in very short order :) ).

Do you prefer to give it back to the Netherlands or would you rather split it between Germany and France?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Pochoclo posted:

Brexit campaigners continue to be the best Remain campaigners. Thank you racist tories, I was worried for a second there I might have to leave the UK. Alas, prosperous Serbia will have to wait.

At the same time Obama seems to be the best unintentional Brexit campaigner.
Americans just can't help themselves. They have to intervene in everyone elses business.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

Obama's intervention led to a +10 percentage point boon for the Remain campaign.

Then explain

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-poll-idUKKCN0XN0PV

quote:

Support for the campaign to get Britain out of the European Union has risen in recent days, two opinion polls showed on Tuesday, suggesting U.S. President Barack Obama's call for the UK to stay in the bloc had not yet had the impact he wanted.

Forty-six percent of voters were in favour of a so-called Brexit, more than the 44 percent who believed Britain should stay in the EU, ICM said, citing the intentions of people who planned to take part in the June 23 referendum.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Oxxidation posted:

Austria don't be Nazis. Please don't be Nazis, Austria.

Hyperbole itt.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Without the mail voters, Hofer won 51.9% vs 48.1%. Mail counted tomorrow.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

blowfish posted:

And Austria for being full of far right tards. And Italy for being massively corrupt.

Clearly you know nothing about Italy because then you'd know they have even more "far right tards", as you put it. Real genuine fascists, even.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

blowfish posted:

Yes, basically. In some local German elections, the AfD (basically German Trumpublicans) get a large enough share of the vote to force the other parties into unholy unions with greens and christian conservatives in the same government since that's the only way to keep the AfD in opposition.

They should look at the other European countries and realise that is exactly how you increase the power of the very parties you don't like.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Until now I have heard not a single thing about France.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

well more people have been killed by police in america than by terrorism

No policeman managed to kill nearly 3000 people in an hour and give a whole nation PTSD though.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cat Mattress posted:

Violence should be directed against the 1% IMO.

But Cat Mattress, you are part of the global 1%.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

i agree that hte crimes of the american police have been more diffused among their rank

That is indubitably true.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

drat Islamics are pretty talented if one man can fly 4 planes at once.

Tesseraction posted:

Maybe spreading himself too thin is why the fourth got counter-hijacked.

Fine you loving sperg, let me rephrase to satisfy your neurosis:

No policemen managed to kill nearly 3000 people in an hour and give a whole nation PTSD though.

German news are still not telling me what's up in France. hosed up.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Brainiac Five posted:

How'd you enjoy your guy's narrow loss?

Slight disappointment coupled with great amusement because it now means the next national elections are going to be a riot*.

*not literally please.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

GaussianCopula posted:

Will you guys request an Anschluss again if VdB really dissolves the parliament after the FPÖ won a majority?

I am not sure he can dissolve the parliament without the government asking him to but he can most definitively dissolve the government.

Also no Anschluss without Austrian leadership. You know how this works.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The Greek king was the first to try and get rid of the colonels in a failed counter-coup. As a reward after the colonels stepped down the monarchy was abolished and his private property seized.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I read older Greeks feel corruption under the king was actually less severe than today.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

Neoliberalism is the most corrupt form of capitalism, friend.

No, that's always crony capitalism because it can happen in all forms, even keynesianism!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
And they blame Russia for giving their country a bad name.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

quote:

It all stems from lacking proper education on how the EU functions, its core pillars and so on.

Probably intentional and for the best.

If people knew how it worked they would be against it even more. It's rather opaquely run with a lack of democratic institutions which would prevent the EU from joining itself, as Martin Schulz admits.

quote:

Unlike NATO, the EEC made war literally impossible, due to the integrated economies. Even if the countries had decided to go to war, they couldn't have done it.

At the time of WW1 you had a common currency (gold/silver) and a lot of international trade. Trade is no guarantee for peace on its own.
You need France and Germany at the same table for a peaceful Western and Central Europe and Russia for the East.

quote:

NATO, on the other hand, could have theoretically been disbanded at any time by a single orange troll winning the world's yuuuugest popularity contest.

In the Cold War the Europeans actually paid for their own defense; the US made up only half of NATO spending. Today the US spends like 75%. There's no reason the US should take on the responsibility to defend Europe; it's not their job.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

We already wage warfare against France via our unlawful use of biological weapons: our cuisine.

Albion employs a far more perfidious tool against France: low tax rates.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Russia attacking Ukraine was hardly out of character either. I get that you come from a country which has almost made a virtue out of not thinking strategically, but you'd have to be blind to not consider the possibility of Russian aggression after Georgia.

Chances are that this would not be that far from the truth, if NATO did disband.

Russia didn't start the Georgian war, Georgia did. They even showed restrained by not taking over the whole country.

The Ukrainian situation is also a lot more messy than "evil Russia invaded".

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

I hadn't heard about that; it's really hilarious.

quote:

As for the latter; declining to conquer a country is not restraint.

It is when you could have easily moved into Tiblisi and dictated whatever terms you wanted. The US showed significantly less restraint in many cases.

quote:

Please explain your reasoning.

I'd rather not turn this into the Ukrainian thread, part deux.

quote:

actually you'll find most nazis in europe love their ukrainian brothers and want them to stay in charge.

Ukrainian nazis have been out of power for a while now.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Putin is funding parties across the EU who are chomping at the bits to tear it apart.

However in many cases Russia plays lender of last resort. The Front National for example can't get loans from anyone else.
Also many of said parties don't want to rip it apart but stop the elite's aim of a US-style federation. A confederated Europe is a much more sensible approach considering the various cultures and histories.

European nations of course could stop all that outside funding they don't like by copying a Russian law that prohibits funding of non-governmental organisations from outside the country.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's hardly conquest.

By your definition France wasn't conquered by WW2 either because it was only ~temporary~.

Kicking in the door, shooting HOO-HA, killing everyone in the room, smashing what is left and then declaring MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, staying for years is very much conquest.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
France needs to get its poo poo together, they were supposed to be the political motor, not the Germans.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Paper wealth in the stock markets is not real wealth. Investors can go gently caress themselves.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The pound will rebound after people got over the initial panic and figured out they're idiots.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Jo Cox murder had nothing to do with Brexit and if I am not mistaken the Remain campaign were the biggest abusers to exploit her death.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Puntification posted:

What a piece of poo poo.

Yes, truly, I am the rear end in a top hat, not the ones exploiting the death of a woman for political gain to support the remain campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

The Remain campaign didn't. The Leave campaign flew a biplane saying "TAKE BACK CONTROL" over her memorial though.

The plane over the funeral is unfortunate. However it's not like remain aren't cunts at the funeral either:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/22/pictures-remain-activists-descend-on-jo-cox-memorial-event/

quote:

LONDON, United Kingdom – Thousands filled Trafalgar Square this afternoon, for a commemoration of the life of Jo Cox MP. Many used the event, however, to calls for her memory to be employed to fight to keep Britain inside the European Union (EU).

Of course, there's also the reports where the remain campaign called in an official email to use the tragedy..

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/remain-campaign-chief-will-straw-accused-of-exploiting-jo-cox-murder-a3276401.html

Also bad

https://twitter.com/swattsnhants/status/744438661010366464/photo/1

Riso fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 24, 2016