Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

hedgegnome posted:

Yeah, but only around 5-600 if i do it myself!

Which looks like a horrible task that ill most likely never do.

If you can find a good condition one off a wreck it takes the hassle of having to do all the rivet work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nodoze posted:

The tien coilovers are okay, but if you don't like them you should easily be able to sell them and get either a stock setup and cash or just cash to put towards a set of Bilsteins or KWs

Do you guys get BC coilovers over there? A friend has them on his S and they're ridiculously good for the £700 they cost. They're so good that he also put a set on his Prelude, another friend put a set on his S and is now putting a set on his NSX... Worth a look.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

88h88 posted:

Do you guys get BC coilovers over there? A friend has them on his S and they're ridiculously good for the £700 they cost. They're so good that he also put a set on his Prelude, another friend put a set on his S and is now putting a set on his NSX... Worth a look.

I've seen people use them yeah. I have a set of Bilsteins right now but I might end up swapping them out next spring for something else

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
In my experience, BC are garbage.

Bilstein, KW, JRZ, and other euro stuff tends to be really good. If you're going to switch the bilsteins out for something you'd want to try kw clubsports or JRZ RS-pro's or something like that.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 30, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wierdly the dude that has the NSX had Ohlins on his S and much prefers the BCs...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The ohlins dfv/road and track coilovers are ok, but completely different from the nice motorsports stuff. They are actually not even made by ohlins in sweeden. Last I heard they were coming from japan, but that was like 5 years ago. And they're overpriced because of the stickers IMO.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 30, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

jamal posted:

In my experience, BC are garbage.

Bilstein, KW, JRZ, and other euro stuff tends to be really good. If you're going to switch the bilsteins out for something you'd want to try kw clubsports or JRS RS-pro's or something like that.

Probably KW's or another set of Bilsteins honestly. IMO anything cheaper than PSS9s isn't better than the stock setup

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
oh hay!

2002, full service history since new, flawless top, best craigslist seller ive ever encountered.

i pick it up tuesday.

im very excited :D

also, this will be the 4th time ive broken my 'black car, never again' rule.

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 3, 2016

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

hedgegnome posted:

also, this will be the 4th time ive broken my 'black car, never again' rule.

Could be worse: could be red. :cop:

That looks really clean. I'm jealous.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

Magnus Praeda posted:

That looks really clean. I'm jealous.

Thanks! It looks better in that pic than it does in person, its got a fair bit of chips and bumper scuffs and little things here and there. But it was a very, very reasonable price, so I dont mind. The top and interior are mint :D

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Just saw this thread. Recently traded in my 2006 S2k on a 2016 WRX (I have a baby and am sometimes required to take it places) and I miss the ol' S2k.

I found that it was incredibly easy to break the rear end loose on a turn and then powerslide it to wherever you wanted. The AP2 changes definitely made it pretty civilized.

That said, I think I replaced it with the best possible thing. Unlike the S2k which climbs and climbs and climbs, the WRX acceleration sensation plateaus at about 4k rpm but it is seriously quick and handles very well for a car that weighs 500+ more lbs and has the engine in front of the front axle. Still a fairly analog car.

I know in 20 years I am going to be missing the S2k so much that I'll spend the modern equivalent of like 80K just to get one like mine.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I know in 20 years I am going to be missing the S2k so much that I'll spend the modern equivalent of like 80K just to get one like mine.

Seriously.. i bet your s2k is back on the lot for twice your trade in value. Prices are already pretty crazy. My automotive ADD kicks in at around 2 years, but im hoping that wont happen this time :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Trade in the baby back for your S2k. Think of it as an investment in your future.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mobby_6kl posted:

Trade in the baby back for your S2k. Think of it as an investment in your future.

18 years of kid is a lot of track time and tires.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Magnus Praeda posted:

Red is fastest :colbert:

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

fknlo posted:

Red is fastest :colbert:

in dropping resale value

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Good lord this car is hilarious. Ive been a bit sideways on accident already.. im gonna die :D

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Finally getting my soft top replaced next week. The new one has only been sitting in the box on my floor for like three months :cool:

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Man, i sure have been enjoying my new s2000! Look at it here, just yesterday it was!

So today, ill just go for a drive, its so nice out, sure why not???

free photo hosting

A very pretty blond lady in a giant loving explorer EXTREME LANE CHANGED into me on the highway. I think her right tire caught my tire, and it launched the loving truck up onto my fender. The explorer got up on two wheels.. I saw the trucks wheel at head height, it was nuts.
Feels like it still drives just fine, though. Insurance should take care of everything, but im not sure how the body shop is going to deal with paint matching. The rest of the paint is very chipped and sand blasted. Im going to get estimates that include a full respray.

Oh well.. it was a fun day up to the getting run over part. I was on my way home at least :D

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 11, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

poo poo one. :/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Aw man that sucks :( Sure hope insurance comes through and you can get to a good body shop for that work.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ugh, sorry that happened to you. One of the many reasons I stay off the interstate as much as possible when driving mine.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

When mine got hit in the front, since the shop was going to paint the new hood, bumper, and fenders already, they only charged my an extra $500 to spray from the doors back.

Benefits of a small car and no metal roof. Speaking of which, if you have the money, now would be a perfect time to get a hardtop and have it painted with the car.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Got my first quote, just a tic over 4k. An extra 2k to paint the rest :(.

So, interesting side note, the car that hit me was a company car. The owner of the company looks like he wants to pay me cash, and not go through insurance. Im getting another quote tomorrow, hopefully i can find a balance between low and high quotes that allows me to get the whole thing painted for less than a grand out of my pocket :)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yikes, that is sad to see but at least you are OK and its very fixable

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Dropped my car off this morning expecting to get it back tomorrow, ended up getting it back this afternoon. I have to adjust or grease the passenger window seal a bit cause the window is sticking a bit on the way up. I probably should just get a new one but thats a lot of work. I also need to repair the outside bolster on my driver seat :argh:

There also is a rattling noise that sounds like the end of a rivet rolling around somewhere thats driving me nuts too, hopefully it goes away and finds somewhere to settle

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
So last week i did this!

Greased up my shifter. That was after cleaning the old grease out. I put about half a can of new grease in there, and now its silky smooth :D

Its super easy and everyone should totally do it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Put my top down for the first time since getting it replaced. Went down and up smooth, but it does need some more stretching out still since I had to push the front down a bit to latch it

Top down driving is wonderful

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

:toot:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

10k? Is that it?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

10k? Is that it?

Yup!

That's with me putting almost 2k miles on it since I bought it this year too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It'll be broke in soon so you can actually driver it fast... ;)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It'll be broke in soon so you can actually driver it fast... ;)

I'm pretty sure it was in vtec range more in the first month I owned it than it had been its entire life with the previous owner :3:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I'm closer to 140K than you are 15K and still going strong :3:

(knock on wood)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fknlo posted:

I'm pretty sure it was in vtec range more in the first month I owned it than it had been its entire life with the previous owner :3:

:hfive:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

:(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Where do you live that you're already putting it away?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Where do you live that you're already putting it away?

Kansas City. It's still pretty nice out but I figure it's already November and knowing myself, if I put it off I'll put it off too long.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

...but the heater in an S is pretty great even for late autumn/early winter blasts with the top down and a woolly hat on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

hedgegnome posted:

So last week i did this!

Greased up my shifter. That was after cleaning the old grease out. I put about half a can of new grease in there, and now its silky smooth :D

Its super easy and everyone should totally do it.

Looks like this might be the unofficial S2000 thread so question on shifters. The engine/transmission I picked up from a 2002 didn't come with basically any of the shifter stuff in this picture. I haven't driven a S2000 in a while but I remember the shifter being pretty good stock. What are thoughts on going with a short throw kit over throwing OEM parts in there?

Alternatively anyone have their old stuff laying around they would like to sell?