Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

What is Verdun?

quote:

Verdun is the first multiplayer FPS set in a realistic First World War setting. The merciless trench warfare offers a unique battlefield experience, immersing you and your squad into intense battles of attack and defense.

The game takes place on the western front between 1914 and 1918, in one of the bloodiest conflicts in world history. The developers were inspired by the infamous Battle of Verdun France in 1916, The game includes many historically accurate features such as realistic WW1 weaponry, authentic uniforms and maps based on the real battlefields of France and Belgium.

The Frontlines game mode is unique in its tactical complexity. The realistic trenches are challenging to fight in and require tactical cunning to capture and defend. The Entente and Central Powers strive to gain control of frontline sectors. In one battle you're rushing the enemy trenches in an offensive battle in order to gain ground, In another battle you might be defending your recently conquered ground against an enemy counter-attack.

FEATURES:
    Realistic World War 1 gameplay: Authentic weaponry with realistic bullet physics, skill based weapon handling, poisonous gas with a claustrophobic gas mask experience and artillery barrages
    Tactical squad-based FPS: Unique squad leveling system, distinct squad types and roles, voice chat
    True trench warfare: Real-time dynamic frontline with momentum-based attack and counter-attack gameplay
    Authentic World War 1 setting: Typical WW1 music and style, historical battlefields set on the Western Front
    Challenging game modes: Team-based Frontline and skill-based Rifle Deathmatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWp-7XH3080

Some reviews:

quote:

Much like the conflict that the game shares its namesake with, Verdun is a ferocious and tense multiplayer shooter the likes of which we haven’t seen in a long time.

quote:

No game has ever captured the feel of trench-based warfare as well as Verdun.

quote:

Verdun is a brilliant FPS made of mud, trenches and death. It's not perfect but it's still evolving and has a lot of potential.

Homepage: http://www.verdungame.com/
People streaminghttp://www.verdungame.com/twitch/

Where to get it: Steam 21.50 Euro

I couldn't find a thread for this great game and since it's a lot more fun to play with a regular squad than pubbies I was hoping to find more people who play. There are some bugs and performance issues but overall it's a great and tense game and I think it'll be even better over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
No one huh? :( Well, you're missing out on a great game!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
For anyone interested in this game, I recommend listening to the hardcore history "Blueprints for Armageddon" summary of world war one.

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

Once you're done you probably wont want to play this game either.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I played an early version of this - maybe a year ago? It was much more bare bones than what's in the trailer, and it was maybe a little too realistic of a WW1 simulation at that time since gameplay consisted of running around for a bit then getting blown up by shells. Looks like they have put a ton of work into it since then, I'll check it out.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
There's still some "run for 30 seconds, die of mortar/sniper you never see" but I do love it most of it. They really capture the feeling of trench warfare and the whole design of attacking an area, then defending it, then - if you are successful - attacking for the next sector is fantastically well done. You have to use cover and move slowly at times, but other times you get fun storming warfare. And since you can unlock different set-ups for the various squads you got some flexibility too. For someone like me that always liked DoD but felt it was a bit too twitchy yet thought Red Orchestra was too realistic, Verdun hits the perfect spot.

I'm Dr.Drew in-game, if anyone wants to play.

Star fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 11, 2016

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Update is here! Game has doubled in size since launch.

And it's excellent, holy poo poo this game and these devs deserve more credit.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah, loads of people online. Had some issues with weird lag at times but hopefully it'll get better. The new weapons are awesome and the gore and death sounds as well (while at the same time being completely horrific to see and hear). Had some intense fights in Champagne, with gas, mortars and bullets whizzing all over.

Trailer for the new exp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AchJpEGgQ5k

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Champagne is really nice.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I haven't played since they moved to the newer version of Unity; the old one was absolute poo poo and amusingly Verdun was one of the first games I played after I got my 970. Was pissed at regular FPS was somewhere in the mid 20s.

That said, playing soccer during the Christmas event was fun.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 8, 2016

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Vahakyla posted:

Champagne is really nice.
Yeah it's tense sometimes. But it would be even nicer if the melee weapons were better. Playing as a melee & grenade guy feels like a waste since it's so hard to come that close to someone without being shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Got this for PS4 last night while waiting for the Battlelfield demo to download. I gotta hand it to the developers for making a really cool niche game here. I just wish the terrain graphical fidelity were a bit better.

• Locked thread