Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
title
be born with a disability
acquire a disability
View Results

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i was wondering this in bed last night. say, for example, blindness. if you're born blind, you'll never experience seeing anything, and that's depressing. however, if you become blind, you'll never experience what you've already experienced ever again, and that's also depressing. same thing for paralysis. either you know you'll never walk, or you will never walk again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I'm sure in time you'll be able to do both and report back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The latter, op.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

its better to get one at work then yo u get paid a lot of money

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat
It's the latter. Before I read this thread I wasn't full of regret.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
you answered your own question op

the anxiety of loss or even potential loss is much worse than the curiosity of a concept you can't understand let alone miss

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

you should earn one through hard work and dedication and not just have one handed to you

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ghostter posted:

its better to get one at work then yo u get paid a lot of money

Got any hot tips on this? I am not currently classed as disabled and I would really like "a lot of money".

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

spud posted:

Got any hot tips on this? I am not currently classed as disabled and I would really like "a lot of money".

you should try getting into coma therapy

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
To paraphrase south park, to be a true crip, you are born a crip.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

spud posted:

climb inside a vending machine and get someoen to knock it over

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

no one acquires anything

everyone is born with everything they are as adults, and if you disagree you are basically a nazi hater justifying their oppression.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
It's hilarious either way.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I don't know OP. Were you born retarded or just hit on the head? What are your thoughts?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
So you work from home, OP? :grin:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I don't know OP. Were you born retarded or just hit on the head? What are your thoughts?
both, actually

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
STupid question. Its like having sex and then never having sex again and knowing what sex was like. Whereas never having sex you remain ignorant.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
When an infant brain is created, it contains all sorts of internal structures which will wither and die from lack of use. Some of those structures can be used to jury rig alternate ways to do things a person with an inborn disability will need to do that a typical person won't need to do. And a formerly typical person won't have those neural structures after becoming disabled.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
If you don't truly know what you're missing, how you gonna know if you miss or really need it? But if you had it all along and then one day it's gone, then you gonna be hella upset.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The bones I have broken healed only because of good doctors. (Who are in on the insurance scam)

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Microwaves Mom posted:

STupid question. Its like having sex and then never having sex again and knowing what sex was like. Whereas never having sex you remain ignorant.

would you rather be a filthy sex haver like Nietzsche or Slobjob Zizek, or a righteous and pure asexual ubermensch like Sir Issac Newton or that Jeopardy playing computer Watson?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Commie NedFlanders posted:

would you rather be a filthy sex haver like Nietzsche or Slobjob Zizek, or a righteous and pure asexual ubermensch like Sir Issac Newton or that Jeopardy playing computer Watson?

the thought of zizek having sex makes me very bad feeling

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I'll take the sex.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
It's better to get one, because at least then you'll have an interesting story and you're otherwise normal.

Being born with one just makes you retarded.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
teh former, my carer are I are very happy together since the operation and my tumblr figures are through the roof

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Airborne Viking posted:

It's better to get one, because at least then you'll have an interesting story and you're otherwise normal.

Being born with one just makes you retarded.

knowing you used to be normal but aren't anymore sucks more

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I was born with mental disabilities and look how I turned out.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

i wasn't born gay but i learned some gay stuff over the years

it's not a disability but it's a cool fun fact for this thread anyway

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I've been sandblasting and industrial painting for almost 13 years. So I'm partially deaf, lower back pain, and probably central nervous damage from years breathing in and washing in solvents. So I'm fried out now before 30.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

knowing you used to be normal but aren't anymore sucks more

I'd argue that getting a disability is perceived like getting a scar: it builds character, it's a story, it's not really anything to be embarrassed about.

Being born disfigured is humiliating. You have the stigma of literally being born retarded. You have to go through your childhood like that. Sure, you may have ignorance of how being normal may have felt, but you still see normal in the people all around you your entire life, and you're not ever a part of that. I see that as way more socially isolating than LOSING any of your faculties (ex. a leg).

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
As someone who posts in GBS, I figure anyone who reads this and responds, myself included, has both

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all op

It's better to live one day as Socrates and be miserable than to live a full life as a blissful idiot op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd5r8j8Y7uo

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im covered in self inflicted character

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
All suffering stems from attachment op, it is your attachment to/in your senses that causes you to suffer in them, not the senses themselves

Op

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lonesomedwarf posted:

im covered in self inflicted character

I wish I was shacked up with some hobag and after she covered me with my character she then lapped it up without any fuken goading

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Airborne Viking posted:

I'd argue that getting a disability is perceived like getting a scar: it builds character, it's a story, it's not really anything to be embarrassed about.

you would but you're not the society as a whole

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think in tyool 2016 America actually treats people with disabilities fairly reasonably

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had the sex with a deaf chick one time I'd recommend it in general also she was cute.

Never bagged nobody in a wheel chair tho like what if she's one of them that has a Foley how do you ask that on the first date. Like, u gonna pee? Or no? Then laugh like you were joking to let her know you're a bro, then give her the serious eye until she feels the horror, then another brolaugh

raton fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 14, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Were you born with whatever disability caused you to post a non-checkbox poll or did you acquire it OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's better to have ________ and lost than to have never __________ at all

• Locked thread