Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

loinburger posted:

Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom had boss health bars except for Reddo the Red Dragon who had so much health that you had to hit him for about ten minutes before he even got a health bar. The game even tried warning you to take the alternate route which IIRC had a beholder instead but I was like "nah I got this" and sank $5 into beating a loving mid-boss

i loved that beholder fight, it was so D&D. the thing didn't just have eye rays (like you always see when anyone does a Beholder type monster) it also had the anti-magic central eye, that would turn off the wizards spells and everyone magic items when it was open. that level of attention to detail was nice to see. those D&D arcade game were amazing, for an arcade game they actually implemented the rules of D&D pretty faithfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Microwaves Mom posted:

Not so surprised on one of them, but is it Bob that's reallllly big?

i think Brian's the one that's like 500 lbs

neither of them are funny

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Other Barry posted:

i think Brian's the one that's like 500 lbs

neither of them are funny

Ehh I liked em. They're super conservative as gently caress tho.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Rutibex posted:

i loved that beholder fight, it was so D&D. the thing didn't just have eye rays (like you always see when anyone does a Beholder type monster) it also had the anti-magic central eye, that would turn off the wizards spells and everyone magic items when it was open. that level of attention to detail was nice to see. those D&D arcade game were amazing, for an arcade game they actually implemented the rules of D&D pretty faithfully

I only played the second one, but you can actually beat them on one credit if you know what you're doing. The TMNT games and The Simpsons game were more about dropping quarters.

I used Homer. Cost about $5 to beat it, BUT I didn't do it at a Chuck'E Cheese.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

i beat time crisis 2 with less than $5

that's my claim to fame

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I played one of the arcade Bomberman games for like 2 hours straight on one credit when I was in Mexico as a kid. I got tired and just turned my game over to one of the kids in the crowd that had gathered to watch.

That same little arcade also had a Rainbow Street Fighter II machine which was p cool. It was the only way back then I got to see the endings for characters I sucked at. Just push the start button to choose the character you wanted right when you had Bison down to his last little bit of health.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Chuck E Cheese has some good deals on za but they won't let me in there anymore without a kid

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Rutibex posted:

ya that was p cool. and you had to light a troll on fire and i forget what else

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

KennyLoggins posted:

The Simpsons Arcade game looked it used the same engine as the 6 player X Men game which was better, I'd always choose Colossus.

I loved the X-Men cartoon back then but kinda hated the game because there were so many obvious parts where they'd force you to either use a special move and lose health or take a beating and lose more health. Still dumped a lot of quarters into it of course. I feel like between TMNT, Simpsons and X-Men, the Simpsons game had the least "unfair" bullshit, even the cheap boss moves you could learn to avoid.

Also,

Crash_N_Burn posted:

They flashed red. Damage meters are for chumps

gently caress yeah. Well, not so much to the lack of readout as to the awesomeness of sprites flickering themselves to death. Can't quit now, gotta stick another quarter in cuz the fucker's strobing neon loving purple!

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
lisa needs braces

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs was the best. The Punisher was excellent too, he'd execute bosses but 2nd player Nick Fury would just punch them out.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So you work from home OP?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

mdm posted:

lisa needs braces

dental plan

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

www posted:

who was your main?

I mained Lisa because it was FAR more likely someone else was gonna play Bart over Marge/Homer, HTHIRL

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I beat time crisis 2 with one continue

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
me and a friend beat the Simpsons game at Canobie Lake Park one fine summer day after we got banned from riding the galaxy coaster cause we'd lean into the spiral curves bobsled style and blow past the end brakes, good times

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Theres also this old korean guy named sunny who used to drink at a bar where they had a chess board.

Hed never loving lose and i beat him one night and no one's ever believed me because hes a motherfucker at chess.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sunny was like 500 years old with an asian wizard beards. He laugh whenever you made a bad move in the early game and hed laugh when you made a good move in the late game to really mindfuck you.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Isaac posted:

I beat time crisis 2 with one continue
if you ever happen to be on the Ocean City boardwalk in Maryland, go into one of the arcades and look at the Guitar Hero: Arcade high scores. if you see someone named "POINTBLANK" dominating several of the hardest songs on medium difficulty, just know that your ol' pal symbolic was there during his preteen year vacations to the big OC.

:grin:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

i never beat the simpsons game in the arcades but i beat tmnt and spent a small fortune on gauntlet

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

That's right I actually beat the classic arcade scrolling fighter The Simpsons. It was pretty impressive and all the kids at Chuck E Cheese gathered around and watched in awe as I reached the final stages. To this day I may be the only kid who beat The Simpsons at Chuck E Cheese.

Go ahead and field any questions you may have. I also can give autographs for small donations.

i beat the simpsons arcade, but at the boardwalk and not a chucky cheese

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Tycoons do the boardwalk. No matter how many coins. Never enough.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Isaac posted:

Theres also this old korean guy named sunny who used to drink at a bar where they had a chess board.

Hed never loving lose and i beat him one night and no one's ever believed me because hes a motherfucker at chess.

this sounds about right, actually

people who are really good at chess tend to initially always strategize at that high level and might not believe their opponent is actually that much more stupid than them or waste time reading some strategy into moves that really aren't, because they're a beginner, and then get suckerpunched when their own gambits fall through, at which point their brains finally kick into gear in game 2 and they realize "oh right, I'm playing an idiot" and they destroy you from then on

source: beating a guy I knew who was really good at chess once... once

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got to the f o okin … the fok ni waterfall level or whatever it was. How close was i. h o w clo se

also I once knew a guy on an extremely anime video game forum who went to Chuck e Cheese for his 21st birthday because he was scared to go somewhere w/ adults and alcohol, and al so it was his favo urite food and he liked the mascots.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Isaac posted:

Sunny was like 500 years old with an asian wizard beards. He laugh whenever you made a bad move in the early game and hed laugh when you made a good move in the late game to really mindfuck you.

Sounds inscrutable.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Still go and bear this game as well as xmen and tmnt:tit every time I go to the barcade by me.

Great stuff. Don't make them like they used to.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

those xmen and ninja turtle games and all were cool, but the best konami beat em up was violent storm

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs was the best. The Punisher was excellent too, he'd execute bosses but 2nd player Nick Fury would just punch them out.

You'll still find both of these in arcades in Hong Kong, and people seem to be playing The Punisher a lot.

Edit: no Chuck'E Cheese though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i beat it in the late 00s with a friend for like 2-3 bucks

am i equally cool

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

hard counter posted:

i beat it in the late 00s with a friend for like 2-3 bucks

am i equally cool

no but better late than never

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

When I was a kid my whole family beat the Simpsons Arcade Game together on my birthday. It was pretty cool

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I beat TMNT but never finished the simpsons because that one was a fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't know Microwaves mom was from Iowa.

• Locked thread