Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Since no one bothered to submit an entry to the St. Pat's edition I WON BY DEFAULT WOOOOOOOO.

For this round of Rockstar, we're gonna tackle songs by the dearly departed, namely, artists who've died in the last year or so. There are some big names in the list.
B.B. King
Scott Weiland
Lemmy
DAVID BOWIE
Glenn Frey

You get the gist. Anyway, if they were alive on December 31, 2014 and they ain't now, they're fair game.
That said, try and pick artists whose names are well known or who are the defining name associated with a band. Just because Mike Porcaro was an outstanding bassist doesn't mean anyone knows who he was.

Update 4/21

treasureplane posted:

I vote we convert this into an all-Prince-and-Bowie Rockstar.

someone much smarter than me posted:

What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music?
Soundcloud. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.

Deadline is 11:59PM EST May 3
New deadline is 11:59PM EST May 28

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alternative pants posted:

Just because Mike Porcaro was an outstanding bassist doesn't mean anyone knows who he was.

Motherfucker don't be dissing on TOTO! Rosanna redefined the genre of songs by/about creepy stalkers of movie stars.

Some other musicians/singer you didn't know about :

Jack Ely (sang LOUIE LOUIE)
Ben E King (Stand By Me)
Errol Brown, (singer of Hot Chocolate, killer synth funk band of the 70s, covered by Electric 6)
Percy Sledge, (When a Man Loves A Woman)
Leslie Gore, (It's My Party)
Andrae Crouch (Jesus music so I have no idea)

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 16, 2016

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Someone else: Maurice White (Earth, Wind & Fire)

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

Motherfucker don't be dissing on TOTO! Rosanna redefined the genre of songs by/about creepy stalkers of movie stars.

I'm not dissing TOTO, I'm just saying that if you aren't huge music dorks (like you and me) the name won't really register.

Also, Pamela was better.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 16, 2016

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
So many dead people to choose from!

nh
Feb 2, 2003
The options are almost overwhelming. I'm playing around with a folksy cover of STP's Interstate Love Song, but there are five or six other songs I'd love to take a shot at. This is going to be difficult.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'm definitely thinking an Eagles tune for this one, but I'm stuck between Take it Easy, Heartache Tonight, and Lyin' Eyes.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it a bad thing that I'm constantly watching the news for new Rock Star deaths?

"Shandling shandling, hmm, did he do a song?"

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

This theme is depressing as hell.

Work got in the way of me doing the last couple I wanted to do, but I think I can squeeze one in this time. I'm gonna try to do Pleasant Valley Sunday, since Fast Eddie Hoh was the drummer on the Monkees version and died last November.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CaptainViolence posted:

This theme is depressing as hell.

Gotta offset springtime somehow.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anyway, if they were alive on December 31, 2014 and they ain't now, they're fair game.

SOOOOO hey.

Joe Cocker died on 12/22/2014. Or 22/12/2014 for the unamericans.

Any chance you'll let me slide that one in? Feeling Alright is one of the greatest stoner/jamband/blues dad songs in the world.

And I ask because there are simply no other real choices. Okay. I think I'll shut the gently caress up and do a Stone Mountain Pilots song. Or Rolling Stones, because I'm sure Keef Richards is going to be dead by the time we launch this RS.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think I'm going to take a crack at something by Allen Toussaint.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
I'm calling Motörhead's "Ace of Spades," though I worry that there's nothing else I can bring to the song.

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer
Someone do You Belong to the City.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CheesyDog posted:

I think I'm going to take a crack at something by Allen Toussaint.

I just found out he wrote "Sneakin Sally Through The Alley" and would love to cover that, unless that's the one you had in mind.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I almost wish Brian May would kick the bucket. I just perfected the guitar solos from Bohemian Rhapsody.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

magnificent7 posted:

I just found out he wrote "Sneakin Sally Through The Alley" and would love to cover that, unless that's the one you had in mind.

Nope, working on a version of "Ruler of My Heart".

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Good news Merle Haggard fans!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Good news Merle Haggard fans!
Hahaha I thought the same thing yesterday when i heard the news.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think I may take a stab at Merle's "I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink".

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I've been really busy and will be for the next few months, so I'm probably not going to have time to finish anything.

However, this thread was posted over a month ago, and hardly anyone has claimed songs. I may find time to squeeze something out by May 3rd or whenever the inevitable extension date will be. Since nobody has reserved it yet, I'm going to call Space Oddity by David Bowie.

No promises.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/21/entertainment/prince-estate-death/index.html?adkey=bn

Police investigating death in singer Prince's estate

DAYAMN.

I mean, well, this rockstar is going to be goddamn AMAZING if he's dead, and I guess, that'd be the one good thing about it.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 21, 2016

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/21/entertainment/prince-estate-death/index.html?adkey=bn

Police investigating death in singer Prince's estate

DAYAMN.

I mean, well, this rockstar is going to be goddamn AMAZING if he's dead, and I guess, that'd be the one good thing about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54GHuxh0T9c

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Well, time to review the Batman soundtrack, I guess

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

treasureplane posted:

I'm totally down with that. Prince is my favorite musician, ever. Probably.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 21, 2016

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

treasureplane posted:

I can get behind that, and even update the deadline go along with that.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

I can get behind that, and even update the deadline go along with that.

Sweet. Immediately calling "The Ballad of Dorothy Parker," which I've been meaning to cover for ages.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Awww and I had this awesome ELP song all queued up

(in my head)

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

If you'd already started I don't see why you have to change. I only had drum tracks down so far, so it's easy for me to make a switch.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
No I like the idea. I'll take a shot at Purple Rain. Any chance we may extend the deadline a wee bit???

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Yeah, I like the change, all Bowie/Prince sounds awesome.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Dang, dude from Negativland died too.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-richard-lyons-co-founder-negativland-235682?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

Don't think it's exactly possible to really do a Negativland cover though.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can't I just post one of the half dozen I've already done for SA RockStars?

I won't top this I don't think.
http://tindeck.com/listen/bott

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Hawklad posted:

No I like the idea. I'll take a shot at Purple Rain. Any chance we may extend the deadline a wee bit???

Deadline is extended to May 28

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Calling SOMETIMES IT SNOWS IN APRIL.

Forever In My Life.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 25, 2016

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

After careful consideration, I think I'm going to take a stab at Darling Nikki. If it's good enough to make Tipper Gore uncomfortable, it's good enough for me.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
GODDAMMIT WHAT THE loving HELL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWOTdt9Bovk

I mean, gently caress. Three weeks ago, I was hoping for more options than just super-white-knight Bowie. But COME ON WHAT THE poo poo.

I'm all up on this one. Even though I love Prince. I'm going to own the corn out of this poo poo right here.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
mag7 dropped it, so I'm picking up Sometimes It Snows in April.

edit: And here's what I go so far. Needs a lot of polish, but sharing in case I don't have time to get back to it before the deadline, in which case this will be my submission.

https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/sometimes-it-snows-in-april-unfinished-prince-cover

nh fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Here is my entry, unless I get the bug to tweak some more, but I think I'm pretty happy with it

Darling Nikki

nh posted:

mag7 dropped it, so I'm picking up Sometimes It Snows in April.

edit: And here's what I go so far. Needs a lot of polish, but sharing in case I don't have time to get back to it before the deadline, in which case this will be my submission.

https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/sometimes-it-snows-in-april-unfinished-prince-cover

Liked this enough to make me go check out the original, very chill!

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 5, 2016

• Locked thread