Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Symphogear
This poll is closed.
Chris 41 39.42%
Hibiki 26 25.00%
Tsubasa 5 4.81%
Shirabe 5 4.81%
Kirika 3 2.88%
Maria 9 8.65%
Genjuro 15 14.42%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Can't ever vote against Maria. Sorry other Symphogears.

Also, been spending my night thus far applying for jobs in Japan. Life would be a lot simpler if I had a Japanese visa. Still, four emails sent tonight isn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
So as some might know, I was recently let go from my latest job. This was an unfortunate, but typical development when it comes to my superiors treating me poorly.

In any case, I like to turn negatives into at least somewhat positives. Thus, with the meager scraps I did earn last week, I feel comfortable in getting a new figure. Unfortunately, I'm undecided between Utaha Kasumigaoka (maybe minor :nws:) or Anastasia. I get paid on Friday, so I will make a decision then. Whoever has the most votes by then I will get. I'll probably get both at least sometime down the line, however.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

He was posting a metric ton of Umi fan art for like 2 1/2 hours straight (almost all of them being art dumps). Like 20 or something straight posts of basically nothing but Umi fan art, which understandably annoyed Endorph and the thread was closed.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Blhue posted:

i agree but cannot honestly condone employment

I am sympathetic to the original point, but 1. I'm in an utter black hole of employment (southern Iowa blows when it comes to finding decent work, and even when you get work, there's no guarantee you'll hold onto it for any length of time), and 2. my living expenses are *very* low.

This is why, among other reasons, I'm hitting the bricks in terms of applying for overseas work tonight.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Space Flower posted:

i love how the meager scraps you've pulled together go straight into anime (just like mine). carry on

To be fair, whenever I do end up back overseas (I consider it an eventuality. Call me an optimist), some of that money will probably go to helping me fund those trying weeks before the first paycheck that are always so much fun.

But yes, I consider this a wise investment. Whenever I look upon Anya's adorable face, I can remember I did my best and was punished for reasons completely out of my control.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Allarion posted:

I’m lady!

I had to wait until subs to find out Shirobako's second OP was saying "My beautiful life". OPs always have the best oddly-pronounced English.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Space Flower posted:

a fair call. programs for English teachers from abroad are still very thirsty, somehow. in spite of all of the weebs.

One of the students I had in Japan I'm still in regular contact with via email told me tonight she plans to be an English teacher after she graduates (which was this March 15, also her birthday by remarkable coincidence), so she can teach young children. It was pretty :3: and why, in spite of the very obvious hardships, ESL work is really like no other and you'll every now and then meet some awesome students.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

You said you prefer teachin' adults, yeah?

Indeed I do. The student in question is only a few years younger than me, I think.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

If you teach abroad, are you allowed to take on other jobs?

I remember we had an afterschool English teacher at the elementary school I did my military service at. Dude also taught adults on the side and once he told me he was judging some sorta English competition, like a speaking contest or whatever.

Depends on the company. The school I worked with in Taiwan had in the contract I wouldn't work for any outside companies while employed with them (which was never an issue in the first place). I'd imagine if you had a part-time job you could look for work elsewhere while still working with the school as a teacher.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Cross A Fear is the best track from Rondo of Blood

I would say that's the best original song in the game (I think? It may have been originally in Haunted Castle, but the soundtrack seems to be the only good thing about that game), but I'm a sucker for the game's take on Bloody Tears.

And let us not forget, Dance of Illusions also came from Rondo of Blood.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
In honor of Arashi and White Day

Apparently her White Day line is "E-Even if you ask me to, I won't give it back, you know!?", which is a very cute thing to say for White Day.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I tried to beat Haunted Castle once, no one can call a Castlevania game bad until they've tried that.

At least from what I've heard, Haunted Castle is the height of bullshit difficulty where you die in like 2-3 hits, the enemies are absurdly strong, and your movement is more sluggish than normal. That about sum it up?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yup, also it comes from a weird period of arcade games where you couldn't just continue your way through it, death sent you back a fair way and iirc you could only use a certain amount of continues before having to start completely from the beginning.

Ah yes, I remember hearing that to, just forgot about when I made that post. The early Castlevania were really hard, but they were manageable with enough practice. Haunted Castle just doesn't sound like any fun at all.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

It's a sliding scale. It's either her or Tsubasa, probably one reason they get along.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Learning how to quick dodge well is getting *pretty* mandatory to doing well here in this Chaos playthrough (I'm past the Fire trial). Until I get my old equipment back I'm still struggling here, but I'm gradually chipping away at the game.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Wow, 36 KOs in the Fire Trial boss battle. That's gotta be a record for me.

Good thing I don't give a good goddamn about Grade.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, Hibiki and Miku are in the song, so you wouldn't be voting against your conscience by voting for Hibiki.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

not surprised at no one caring for kirika/shirabe, am surprised at no one caring for tsubasa

I like all the Symphogears, thus it is very hard to vote for any one of them.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Oh boy. Got an interview scheduled in 47 hours and 20 minutes from now.

I may spend money on anime stuff, but I get results, dammit.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I can't wait to fight alongside Gust-chan in Nights of Azure. Two weeks left!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn't think that had a date yet?

Amazon sez March 29, at least in NA. European release a couple days later.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I assume Miku already falls under Hibiki, because she's just as qualified as Genjuro :colbert:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Marvellous just announced a new Fate/something game for PS4/Vita

Apparently with Fate/EXTRA's universe as a setting.

Hard to say much about it at the moment, but, I feel this is appropriate at this current moment in history.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Saber's design is pretty cute, and her entire arc as someone who would sacrifice herself for her country was nice, but I don't know if that warrants reusing her design at least four times.

I think they're up to like 7 now.

It's a good thing Saber is cute and I like her a lot. Otherwise I might have problems with it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Kylra posted:

Whoa, it's kind of sneaking up on me.

I have my finger on the pulse of the yuri gaming industry. These first few months of 2016 have been primo-material, lemme tell you.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I still need to get around to my G and GX rewatches. Basically everything I did and watched in Taiwan is a hazy mystery by this point in my life.

Buuuut for right now Shirobako has my attention. Only three more episodes left!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

a kitten posted:

That's too many posts, anything cool happen?

I finally got Kindred Spirits last night thanks to your voting thing reminding me to do so. That's certainly something.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
My vote for Maria in no way invalidates my feelings of Tsubasa being awesome. Her extreme straightness (so to speak) is adorable.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

This is a very cute girl and I'm glad the artist drew her.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

i dont think so but based off stuff my friend saw at the symph live (how quickly merch sold out) her guess was that it went tsubasa > chris > maria > hibiki > shirabe > kirika

That sounds about right, honestly.

Especially since Nana Mizuki no doubt has a very positive influence on Tsubasa's popularity.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
My student friend in Japan really likes sending me pictures. Today she sent me a picture of her birthday dinner. It's quite cute.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

graybook posted:

Hello friends, today I got an Iori figure.

Now Yayoi isn't lonely anymore :3:

More of a 765 man?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

graybook posted:

Not really, actually.
I had gotten the Yayoi a few months back, and my local Books-a-Million also had Iori and Ranko.
I'd've been happy getting either, but I opted to get Iori for the sake of having poverty idol and heiress idol be an adorable best-friend pair on my side table.
I'm still more familiar with the CG gals.

An understandable reason. The only figure pair I have is the two girls from White Album, and they do look very good together. Iori / Yayoi is indeed a good pair to have together in figure form.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Yeeeesss. My Shigure Kai Ni figure has finally shipped. Welcome to the fleet in a few days, Shigure-chan.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Gah. Spent all night trying in vain to beat the shadow fight in Zesty to get my old equipment back / the trophy. It's a completely unfair fight, especially since my moronic comrades do more to hurt than help me. Still, I've gotten close to winning thanks to my large reserve of Elixirs I refuse to use elsewhere in the game, and after a beat more grinding (thank the gods for the chance of 4x elemental damage skill), I'm gonna keep at it. I'll get lucky sooner or later.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I defeated my shadows from my previous playthrough, and all I got for it was a bunch of lousy equipment :(

On the other hand, had I kept my strong equipment, the fight itself might have been borderline impossible. It was already brutally difficult even with the junk equipment I had equipped on my dudes at the end of my last playthrough. On the other other hand, I do wish the places I looked online had been a lot clearer about how exactly equipment is transferred between playthroughs.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Hopefully the floodgates will be opened on Kindred Spirits doujins soon.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Man, it's a good thing I went to get a little snack, because I took a peak out the the window and saw my cat trying in vain to find a way back into the house. I have no idea how he got out in the first place.

Stupid cat.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

She's so awesome, and her manga design owns so much.

Yay!

And another. Seems like today is a good day for more Yuritopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Davincie posted:

when oh when will a good tales character get a fig

Alisha also has a good fig.

• Locked thread