Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Momomo posted:

Wasn't the entire reason Alice was even put in the Nonary game because she was super smart?

She was included to solve the Myrmidon Code.

Which Sigma mostly solved without her help anyway. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Speaking of which, is there an archived 999 Games thread here on SA? I've seen it mentioned, but I can't seem to find it with Search + Archives upgrades. :( I'd like to see some of the original reactions to moments in the game.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I love Ace's excuse for the whole thing. "I KIDNAPPED KIDS AND FORCED THEM TO DO PUZZLES USING THEIR PSYCHIC POWERS UNDER PAIN OF DEATH JUST SO I COULD EXPERIENCE WHAT RECOGNIZING FACES WAS LIKE:qq:" Like we would fall for that poo poo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Speaking of which, is there an archived 999 Games thread here on SA? I've seen it mentioned, but I can't seem to find it with Search + Archives upgrades. :( I'd like to see some of the original reactions to moments in the game.

It would be really nice to have both that and a link to the VLR thread in the OP. I'm going send this idea through the morphogenetic field.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Check out http://lparchive.org There should be a link to the thread in there?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Lareine posted:

I love Ace's excuse for the whole thing. "I KIDNAPPED KIDS AND FORCED THEM TO DO PUZZLES USING THEIR PSYCHIC POWERS UNDER PAIN OF DEATH JUST SO I COULD EXPERIENCE WHAT RECOGNIZING FACES WAS LIKE:qq:" Like we would fall for that poo poo.

Was that actually a lie? Crazy rich person toying with children's lives for their own gain isn't that hard to believe.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Momomo posted:

Was that actually a lie? Crazy rich person toying with children's lives for their own gain isn't that hard to believe.

It might not have been a complete lie but he was certainly using it as an excuse. A pretty poor excuse for what bad things he'd done.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lareine posted:

Check out http://lparchive.org There should be a link to the thread in there?

Oh, I've read the Let's Play. Just wondering if there's still a Games thread with posts about "Holy poo poo the Ninth Man loving blew up! :aaaaa:"

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oh, I've read the Let's Play. Just wondering if there's still a Games thread with posts about "Holy poo poo the Ninth Man loving blew up! :aaaaa:"

Maybe you could read through the LP's thread, then.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527266

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

no, that was his legit motivation although technically vlr retcons him into being part of free the soul

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I don't really remember one existing. I feel like the VLR thread was the first one for the series here.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ledgy posted:

Maybe you could read through the LP's thread, then.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527266

That works, thanks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just found this:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't really remember one existing. I feel like the VLR thread was the first one for the series here.
I definitely remember a 999 thread existing because the title was a dumbass quote from a review that said something like "holy poo poo, this game has actually good writing!" as though it was some monumental achievement. I don't think it ever got really big though, since 999 was the first in the series, which meant there wasn't much pre-release hype.

EDIT: The M-rating reasoning on that box :lol:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I definitely remember a 999 thread existing because the title was a dumbass quote from a review that said something like "holy poo poo, this game has actually good writing!" as though it was some monumental achievement. I don't think it ever got really big though, since 999 was the first in the series, which meant there wasn't much pre-release hype.

Oh! Right! Yeah and people kept making obnoxious comments about that title.

poo poo I want to find that thread now

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ha, that was easy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366311

Can't believe I forgot about this

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Could've sworn I posted in that thread but I guess not

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

To my surprise, the story is phenomenal! It's like Saw if it were written by Michael Crichton.

lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That review was really something

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jurassic park was good!!! (cause it had dinosaurs, dinosaurs are cool)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

Ha, that was easy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366311

Can't believe I forgot about this

Wow, a lot of people were really down on the game early on, it seemed.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Something tells me that even if everything goes right in ZTD and the new timeline is created where humanity is saved, something will still go wrong at the last second as a final twist because something something "Snake! You've created a time paradox!"

Also, Snake and Santa were the coolest characters from 999 and should have came back somehow as a cameo. :smith:

Well, we don't know for certain they're not coming back. There's always room for a twist or two.

For instance, when VLR was coming out, how many of us managed to guess Tenmyouji's true identity? Before the existence of cryogenic freezing was revealed, it would have required a massive leap in temporal logic.

For instance, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Eric is actually Snake under an assumed name. Since Junpei and Akane got the participant numbers that matched their bracelets in 999, the person with the "2" bracelet could be the same. He might be harder to recognize with his eyes open, too. Eric does seem to be behaving more erratically than Snake would, but remember what happened in the 999 Safe ending when Snake learned of Clover's death. When it comes to vengeful killing sprees, he seems just as capable as his sister.

Besides, with the returning characters moved into the other two groups, I kind of wonder what Group Q's deal is. Along with the masked amnesiac kid, what exactly do Eric and Mira have to do with all of this? My guess would be either undercover SOIS agents trying to thwart some Free the Soul scheme, members of the Free the Soul cult, or something along those lines. It would seem like too much of a cop-out if Eric was just an ice cream man that happened to get unlucky enough to get tangled up in Zero's schemes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Uchikoshi said in the VLR Answers that we would find out what Santa and Snake are up to in ZTD, and considering that since the games were supposed to be developed one after another and he probably already had a lot of ZTD written, that it'll be the same.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

It would be really nice to have both that and a link to the VLR thread in the OP. I'm going send this idea through the morphogenetic field.

Put a link to the VLR thread at the bottom of the second post, but I don't have archives, so I wouldn't be able to look at the 999 thread if it exists.

e: added the 999 Link

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 20, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Looking through the LP Master List, I remember how one of the abandoned LPs was by a dude that was also really mad about the "good writing" review and didn't like the game. Good idea for him to try hate-LPing a game with a ton of text.

e: Added links to the 999 and VLR LPs to the OP.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 20, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Motto posted:

Looking through the LP Master List, I remember how one of the abandoned LPs was by a dude that was also really mad about the "good writing" review and didn't like the game. Good idea for him to try hate-LPing a game with a ton of text.

e: Added links to the 999 and VLR LPs to the OP.

Hahahahaha that poor motherfucker.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Motto posted:

There's a guy on Metacritic who gave 999 a zero because "it's not a game, it's a visual novel." :v:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

A post-apocalyptic timeline is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. It can be a tough and personal experience for a gang of bikers to go through, speaking from personal experience. I know that it's much often harder on the dead bikers than the alive ones. However, I also know that it doesn't mean everybody is a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of their lives. People can move past it, and heal.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I knew this game was coming out sometime but I didn't think it would be this year.

I'm incredibly excited.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
How far is the VLR LP?

I'm probably going to read them both occasionally in lieu of replaying the games in preparation

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Valex posted:

How far is the VLR LP?

I'm probably going to read them both occasionally in lieu of replaying the games in preparation

It's still got a few routes left to go, and it's been updating at a snail's pace for ages. I doubt it's gonna finish by ZTD's release.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Valex posted:

How far is the VLR LP?

The last time I checked up on the VLR LP the audience kept picking Dead End choices. If that isn't a flaw of democracy, then what is?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Valex posted:

How far is the VLR LP?

4/9 endings completed. Still the Quark/Luna/K/Sigma/Phi endings to go, but the last few do come quickly. Maybe 2/3 through the story?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

There's no way in hell that LP is going to finish before ZTD releases. I will still eagerly keep watch on it though to see the collective emotions at Luna End. :unsmigghh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I've admittedly been trying to push votes towards K or Sigma's Endings, just for the WTF factor of both.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
K's ending was probably the third one I got. That route stuck with me through the rest of the game, to the point where I really should have reserved it for the last few. It and the Axe Ending from 999 kept me up all night.

The mark for a good Zero Escape game is one ending that can invoke insomnia.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I had nightmares about Clover trying to murder me. :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I remember playing 999 for the first time when I was on a long plane ride and I got my first ending, which was the coffin end, and when I saw TO BE CONTINUED, it took all of my energy to not yell WHAT THE gently caress right on that plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've admittedly been trying to push votes towards K or Sigma's Endings, just for the WTF factor of both.

I rewatched the Sigma ending; and yeah, what VLR reduced in terms of direct physical violence/gore, it absolutely made up for in sheer psychological horror.

E: I don't know why I didn't notice it before, but the scanners/cranks in some of the doorways in VLR is absolutely a visual throwback to the REDs of 999.

E2: Why on earth (:v:) would K break Dio's bracelet in K's ending and doom them all to die? Was he suicidal?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 20, 2016

• Locked thread