Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:siren:ERG IS A NERD :siren:

:siren:Important postgame supplementary material:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfOsjVT8mlU

http://lparchive.org/999-Nine-Hours-Nine-Persons-Nine-Doors/
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550910 -VLR (ongoing)

Zero Escape is a visual novel adventure video game trilogy developed by Spike Chunsoft and written by Kotaro Uchikoshi (Infinity series). The series weaves together elements such as puzzle-solving, horror, mystery, the supernatural, and a variety of questionable outfit decisions that have gained it quite the cult following in the west.

Zero Time Dilemma

Platforms: Nintendo 3DS, Playstation Vita, Microsoft Windows

quote:

December 31, 2028—Nevada Desert.

It’s six days since the communal living in the experimental facility known as Dcom.

That day, nine men and women awoke in confinement.

On the left wrists they have black bracelets that none have ever seen before—Bangle.

The start of a decision game is announced.

“This game will decide on the lives of you, me, and mankind.”

Afterwards, they were moved to an underground shelter, split and accommodated into three divisions of C, Q, and D.

Which team will survive?

The fate of humanity, the future of eight billion, will depend on their decision.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You should be able to solve this:

9 Hours, 9 Doors, 9 Persons

Platforms: Nintendo DS, iOS (novel sections only)

Wikipedia posted:

The story follows Junpei, a college student who is abducted along with eight other people and forced to play the "Nonary Game," which puts its participants in a life-or-death situation, to escape from a sinking cruise liner. The gameplay alternates between two types of sections: Escape sections, where the player completes puzzles in escape-the-room scenarios; and Novel sections, where the player reads the game's narrative and makes decisions that influence the story, making it branch into six different endings. The whole plot is not revealed in just one playthrough; the player has to reach the one "true" ending to get all the information.

:siren: Tip: for the best experience, do NOT choose the door sequence 4, 7, 1 on your first playthrough. :siren:

Virtue's Last Reward

Platforms: Nintendo 3DS, Playstation Vita

The previous thread posted:

Similarly to 999, Virtue’s Last Reward follows an ordinary college student named Sigma, and 8 other strangers who are kidnapped and trapped in an abandoned warehouse. Their captor, Zero III, tells them they’ve been enrolled in The Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition and to escape the warehouse, they must put their lives on the line and attempt to win The Nonary Game.
:siren: Do not save in any puzzle room, it can cause a bug that corrupts your save.:siren:

This series looks neat, but 999 is an old DS game. What do I do?
ZTD is being made with the intention that it'll also be accessible to newcomers, but the experience will undoubtedly benefit from having played the previous titles. While 999 is indeed a seven year old DS game at this point, it's been reprinted and is currently available on Amazon for $20.

quote:

A post-apocalyptic timeline is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. It can be a tough and personal experience for a gang of bikers to go through, speaking from personal experience. I know that it's much often harder on the dead bikers than the alive ones. However, I also know that it doesn't mean everybody is a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of their lives. People can move past it, and heal.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 30, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This series is wonderful

It's amazing that this game is going to exist

Ahhhhh I can't wait

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Glad to see the Morphogenetic Fields are doing their work with that poll.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Regy Rusty posted:

This series is wonderful

It's amazing that this game is going to exist

Ahhhhh I can't wait

:yeah:

The trailer is awesome, I rewound it to watch again before I even finished it the first time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Glad to see the Morphogenetic Fields are doing their work with that poll.

I didn't even scroll down to see the image

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I carrot wait for this game!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They are spoiling the poo poo out of fans of this series and it feels so good. And they didn't even have to go through Kickstarter to get it done. Major props to everybody involved, I really can't wait.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Show Funyarinpa the respect it deserves!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I hadn't heard that the third game was going to be on Windows! Any details other than 2016? I was seriously considering finally picking up a 3DS after that trailer, but it'd be nice to not kill my wallet.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I hadn't heard that the third game was going to be on Windows! Any details other than 2016? I was seriously considering finally picking up a 3DS after that trailer, but it'd be nice to not kill my wallet.

Nope, no definite release date for the Steam version yet.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

http://kotaku.com/everything-we-just-learned-about-zero-escape-3-1765374818

quote:

It’ll be out June 28 for Vita and 3DS. The game will hit Steam, too, but there’s no release date there yet. There will be dual audio: you can switch between English and Japanese at will.

Here’s the main gimmick, as described by Kirk: “The narrative trick is that every 90 minutes, a drug is injected from the watches everyone’s wearing that causes them to wake up and lose all their memories. The story can be played out of chronological order thanks to this mechanic, so you start from a ‘floating fragment’ screen that shows you the various scenes in the story.” It looks like this:

As you complete each fragment, you’ll see how they fit into a larger narrative chart that you can uncover as you play.
Make sense? No? That’s the idea. Explains Kirk: “The characters don’t know where they are in the timeline, and neither does the player. When you complete a segment it goes into the larger decision tree, which tells you where it actually happens in the story. So the idea is, you play a fragment, the fragment plays out, then you go back out to the floating fragment screen and it shows you where the thing you just played fits into the narrative flow. You might start a fragment and see only two characters, but not yet know how the third died. Then you’ll play the earlier fragment later, and learn what happened.”

quote:

Like previous games, Zero Time Dilemma will do its best to gently caress with both the player and the characters as much as possible. And, like in previous games, you’ll have to make some interesting decisions. Here’s Kirk’s description of the playable demo they saw, which sounds absolutely nutty:

The demo we watched started with Sigma locked to a chair while Zero monologued at him. Phi was next to him locked inside an incinerator. Diana stood between them and had to make the choice.

The cutscenes are in 3D, with a moving camera and actual in-game objects. The gun next to Sigma’s chair has 3 live rounds and three blanks. If Diana pulls the trigger it’ll shut down the incinerator whether or not the bullet is live, but she has a 50/50 chance of killing Sigma. In 3 minutes, the incinerator will start and kill Phi. If Diana pulls the trigger, the door will open but Sigma has a 50/50 chance of dying.

They decided to pull the trigger and told us it’s completely random what happens - they actually don’t know how it would turn out. The game calculates the odds each time. In this case, the bullet is a blank, Sigma lives and Phi is also saved from the incinerator. They say some of the choices throughout the game will have randomness like that. “When he says he doesn’t know how it’s gonna end, he means it.”

They ran the scene again and this time Sigma died from a live bullet. They swear it really is random.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Leaked footage of carlos's death

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Awesome. Do we have a list of the JP VA in the game? I've heard about Sugita and Sakamoto but I don't know what characters they are voicing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

Awesome. Do we have a list of the JP VA in the game? I've heard about Sugita and Sakamoto but I don't know what characters they are voicing.

Carlos (CV: Tomokazu Sugita)
Akane (CV: Miyuki Sawashiro)
Junpei (CV: Tatsuhisa Suzuki)
Q (CV: Aki Toyosaki)
Eric (CV: Akira Ishida)
Mira (CV: Maaya Sakamoto)
Diana (CV: Mamiko Noto)
Phi (CV: Chiaki Omigawa)
Sigma (CV: Daisuke Ono)
Zero (CV: ???)

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Probably my most anticipated game in the past five years. I can't wait!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Motto posted:

Yare yare.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/httpguts/status/707776022444425218

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Don't forget the capri pants and sneaks without socks.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm so loving excited for this game you have no idea dude

fake: I have never been this excited for a videogame. Never stop making games, Uchikoshi.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

High res artwork:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/710256722917531649

VLR I can see working, but there's gonna have to be a lot of work done on a Steam 999 unless they just use the iOS version.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Motto posted:

Carlos (CV: Tomokazu Sugita)
Eric (CV: Akira Ishida)
Mira (CV: Maaya Sakamoto)

YES YES YES YES YES

Thank you

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Excellent thread tag choice.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
I'm strongly considering getting a PSTV for this. Does anyone know how well VLR ran on that?(not that it would have any bearing on this game's performance I guess)

Also maaaaaaaaaaaan that goddamn trailer. I am kind of surprised at how... Telltale-ish? the overall animation seems to look. Whatever tho, June needs to come like tomorrow.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

psychoJ posted:

June needs to come like tomorrow.

Akane pls.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

psychoJ posted:

I'm strongly considering getting a PSTV for this. Does anyone know how well VLR ran on that?(not that it would have any bearing on this game's performance I guess)

It didn't run at all due to the reliance on touchscreen stuff, IIRC.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The animation in the trailer is kinda bad. but I can't say I care too much.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

psychoJ posted:

Whatever tho, June needs to come like tomorrow.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/710256722917531649

VLR I can see working, but there's gonna have to be a lot of work done on a Steam 999 unless they just use the iOS version.

no physical release dafuq

Alipes
Sep 6, 2006

Grimey Drawer

psychoJ posted:

Also maaaaaaaaaaaan that goddamn trailer. I am kind of surprised at how... Telltale-ish? the overall animation seems to look. Whatever tho, June needs to come like tomorrow.

I picked up a Playstation TV and played through all of VLR (having played through it on DS previously) and it ran just fine. In the escape room sections you turn on the touch screen use (L3 + R3 I think) and I didn't have any issues with it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It does give me a heavy Telltale Games vibe, especially from their Walking Dead series.

Also, I think this time the Nonary Game is going to be designed explicitly to gently caress with the time-jumping and recall abilities of the Espers. Something tells me Zero this time is someone with insider trading info on the participants/game. I'm thinking it's (VLR spoilers) Left, specifically wanting to make sure the world gets hosed over and that the Espers can't stop him; definitely an inherently villainous Zero, messing with veteran player expectations yet again by having Zero actually be a bad guy, similar to how Dio turned out to just be an rear end in a top hat.

3 months is too far awaaaaaaay, gently caress. :f5:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 17, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I never finished VLR. I spent...god knows how many hours, I had done most of the various paths, I put it down, never picked it up, and lost my Vita. SO I don't wanna buy it again and do the whole fifteen hours of dialog and stuff over. Let me spoil what I knew and you guys tell me if I'm better off just spoiling myself on youtube.

Obviously major VLR spoilers here:

So as I recall there's a plague that wipes out mankind and the whole point of this experiment appears to basically be trying to solve the apocalypse after it happens, utilizing the Nonary Game to do whatever those weird time shennanigans are to bring that info to the past. The old man is Junpei from the first game all aged up, and presumably the woman whose corpse we find is June. Alice and Clover were put into suspended animation and I don't even remember what Quark's deal was. I know the man in the mask looks like the main character, who I assume is a life-like robot who only thinks he is human.

Since it's been about a year since I played the game last, I'm probably misremembering or misinterpreting what I knew.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I never finished VLR. I spent...god knows how many hours, I had done most of the various paths, I put it down, never picked it up, and lost my Vita. SO I don't wanna buy it again and do the whole fifteen hours of dialog and stuff over. Let me spoil what I knew and you guys tell me if I'm better off just spoiling myself on youtube.

Obviously major VLR spoilers here:

So as I recall there's a plague that wipes out mankind and the whole point of this experiment appears to basically be trying to solve the apocalypse after it happens, utilizing the Nonary Game to do whatever those weird time shennanigans are to bring that info to the past. The old man is Junpei from the first game all aged up, and presumably the woman whose corpse we find is June. Alice and Clover were put into suspended animation and I don't even remember what Quark's deal was. I know the man in the mask looks like the main character, who I assume is a life-like robot who only thinks he is human.

Since it's been about a year since I played the game last, I'm probably misremembering or misinterpreting what I knew.

Don't click this if you don't want to be totally spoiled:

(Massive VLR spoilers)

K is actually alternatively Kyle, a clone of Dr. Sigma Klim, and June/Akane, depending on whether or not the Old Woman was killed by Dio because of quantum physics Schroedinger's Cat fuckery.

Also, based on that trailer, ZTD is going to be loving dark as hell. Q, the kid in the mask, can be killed by traps. :stare: This game is going to be pushing the boundaries of the M rating pretty drat hard (and that's just from the first trailer)!

I'm sure his true identity is going to be a massive plot piece/twist, calling it now. I don't think the game is far enough in the future to include GAULEM trickery either.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 17, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Also to those who don't want to pay 20 bucks for 999: if you have an iPad, 999 is available on the app store for like 5 bucks. No puzzle components, but the story is there otherwise if you wanna just read it Visual Novel style.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

lotus circle posted:

Also to those who don't want to pay 20 bucks for 999: if you have an iPad, 999 is available on the app store for like 5 bucks. No puzzle components, but the story is there otherwise if you wanna just read it Visual Novel style.

I went ahead and bought it for iOS. Jazzed to play (well, read) through 999 again! :dance:

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Based on the Floating Fragment system for the character memories, I'm assuming that the dog that delivers messages to each group will help link everything chronologically. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBx7Jg4m-o

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Two details that strike me as interesting:

1. Zero is an active participant this time around.

2. The bracelets are not the killing component this time around; the participants are (albeit at the behest of Zero and/or anyone who goes psycho in this one). It's yet to be seen if the amnesiac drug is still Soporil, though.

Also an important note related to VLR True End spoilers Akane is with you (i.e. Post-ZTD events Sigma) who informs you that your arms were cut off due to deadly traps and your arms were replaced. The mission failed and they are watching the world get blown the gently caress up.

This means, at least in one ending for ZTD, Sigma and Akane managed to escape despite failing their mission to save humanity. But Phi and company are also rescued to be sent to the Moon. Presumably the bomb shelter they witness the apocalypse from is the same setting for ZTD. Curious. Not sure what else to say beyond this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This game sounds very good.

Higurashi ending spoilers:
The fragment system as described kindof reminds me of the interactive kakera segment in the last Higurashi game.Only instead of being a device to neatly tie up all the miscellaneous loose ends and mysteries in the story it will be used to confuse and bewilder us

• Locked thread